“Great resort for the price.”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #77 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We spent 5 days at this resort 5/27/2011 and we just booked again 6/2013 with 2 other couples. Resort is very large and beautiful. You will walk alot to get to were you want (i didn't mind though). Beach was really nice and the pools were amazing. You have to make reservations for the restaurants and you can only reserve 3 days at a time. Food was ok. Drinks were awesome and i love how they have soft serve ice cream at the bar YUMMY. Definitely a fun resort there's a mixture of younger and older people that were there. ( I mention this because i know when i look for a resort i want to be around people my age and party). The staff were really nice, if you tip them they will take care of you and remember you by your name the whole time your there. Over all everything was great. The only negative comment i have is the food could have been better. Cant wait to go back in june 2013.

Room Tip: Def ask to stay at the bottom floor its just easier.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ashley S
There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Most everything about this resort is over rated. Yes, it's a beautiful place but the staff is NOT very cordial, in fact it was hard pressed to get a smile out of most people. If you made eye contact they pretty much turned their heads in another direction to avoid having to say hello to you. Even the Concierge were not very friendly, that is if you were able to locate one on your schedule. Check-in and check out was painful. Not enough staff on to service the very minimal lineups and those that we on seemed pre-occupied with non check-in and check out activites. Whatever you do don't ask any questions if you don't want to be treated like a complainer. Just let them do their thing and their quite content. I DO NOT reccommend the swim ups in "Adults" only. At best you only get about two hours of sunshine in the morning and the actual pool that you are privied to is not really a pool at all, just what it states, "Swim up". The beverages were plentiful and the bartenders were overworked as well. Only one pool has music and entertainment. It looked like it could have been fun but we could not get a chair at it.The food was not bad, most days, some days better than others. We enjoyed the Al la Cartes and they were not hard to get reservations for. The beach was nice and you don't get bothered by vendors at all. The nightly entertainment was good and the entertainers really gave it all they had which we truely appreciated. Basically there are better Resorts in the Mayan for less or the same money. Please choose carefully. Make sure that your travel agent fully researches this resort and if your budget allows for it book the regular platinum, not the Adults only Platinum suites. We would not go back here.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet book the "Adults Only" swim up section, but not necessarily a...
3  Thank Gord_Melody-CDA_
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled from Feb 11 to Feb 18th 2013. We travelled through Sunwing and I was not impressed with their services at all. Our flight was delayed by two hours because the airline was having trouble accomodating a gentleman with special needs. Why they would not have already pre-arranged this is beyond me. We ended up arriving at the hotel at around 10:30 pm. I was a bit frustrated because the resort is quite large and has two sides to it, both looking exactly the same. The clerk just gave us a map and sent us on our way and we ended up getting a bit lost. Once we knew where we were it was much easier to navigate the rest of the week. The room was very nice. We got one of the swim out junior deluxe suites and it was worth it! It was large and clean and the bathroom had a big jaccuzzi in it and double sinks and the bed was huge. The pillows were very uncomfortable though. Our room was on the Riviera side of the resort so we got alot of sun which made the pool nice and warm. The main "party" pool had lots of stuff going on every day such as dance lessons, tequilla vollyball, aquafit, etc. and the music wasn't too loud. There are many other pools where there was no music if you were looking for a more quiet and relaxing time. The beach was nice, not overly run with vendors. There were some rocks when first entering the water but they stop quickly. The food overall was good. The buffetts had a different theme every night of the week so it was a good variety each night. The only night I wasn't too fond of was the oriental night because I don't really like sushi. The one complaint I did have of this resort was the way in which they handled the a la cartes. You had to book a reservation several days ahead of time in order to get into them and then unless you showed up right at 2pm when it opened you got stuck with late times like 9:30pm. We only got into two of the 9 restaurants and both were late times. The two that we did get into were the Italian and the Grill. Both were good but not anything I would write home about. The entertainment I found to be very nice. Although we didn't see the show, we spent almost every night in the plaza watching some sort of band perform. Each band was very good!
Overall we had a great time and I would likely go back and reccommend the resort to others.

Room Tip: If you are getting a swim out room, try to get it on the Riviera side because it faces the sun and t...
6  Thank FairyPuddleJumper
Reviewed 18 February 2013

After having spent Jan 26 to Feb 2, 2013 at this resort I have to wonder what the expectations
were of the travellers that wrote negative reviews. The grounds are emaculate and tended to
continually very cordial staff. All the staff including the front lobby staff, restaurant staff, bar staff
and house keeping staff were all genuinely friendly and willing to accomodate any request. The food was not "gourmet" but was as good as any other resort or cruise we have been on. The "Buffet" had a very good selection for all meals and the quality was very good. We booked
the Platinum upgrade and as such we booked dinner reservations at the a-la-cartes through the
concierge in the Platinum section and encountered no problems at all. The a-la-cartre restaurants provided very good quailty food and excellent service all around.
The only negative that we encountered while at this wonderful facility was the sense of "entitlement" some of the other guests exhibited but that is nothing that anyone can change.
Having spent a wonderful week at this piece of paradise we are looking forward to a return vacation to this beautiful facility.

Room Tip: The Platinum upgrade is definitely well worth the extra money, the proximity to the beach from the P...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Bob R
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Check in was slow even though we booked the platinum suites . When we got to our room the hair dryer was hanging off the wall by 2 wires.The windows and mirrors were dirty in our room. Not a good first impression,.one of the rods for the curtains was laying on the table. This is how you welcome visitors? The floors in our room never got washed in the 2 weeks we were there including the deck floor. The jacuzzi tub outside never got cleaned either.
The outside gardens were beautiful they wash the pathways almost every night.
The hallways on building 5000 were not washed at all there was some kind of animal feces on the top floor that never got cleaned up at all. It was there the whole time we were there.
Twice while we were there a fire alarm went off in our building the first time was at 115am with no explanation. With the recent history of this resort this made us a bit nervous.
There is lots of walking or you can catch the shuttle service,if you want the shuttle around supper time go early you may have to wait for the next one as it is quite often full.
The buffets were ok. Food not very hot though.
The a la carts were ok I really enjoyed the show cooking at the miso but be prepared its very hot in there.
The requirement of men to wear long pants to a la carts is really ridiculous. They allow guys wearing ripped blue jeans in but not dress shorts.
The resort is quite large and very nice but the staff are very busy and don't seem to have time to greet you with a friendly smile, even the hosts and hostess are too busy to smile
The coco bongo staff were friendlier than the entertainment staff at the pools.
The slushy drinks aren't very good compared to other resorts I've been to.

3  Thank Glammad
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Just spent two weeks at the Grand Sunset Princess (2/4 - 2/18) - let me say, this was not the first time I have paid a premium for the Royal, Platinum or upgraded service. I have stayed at Dreams and Melia resorts where the actual service far exceeded the expectations.

1. Upon check-in, we were offered little instruction on how to navigate to the room. Other preffered status type resorts were much better. Most of the emphasis was placed on the penalties of lost towel cards, room cards & $100 lost wristband charge. They gave us a map and sent us on our way.
Once we arrived in our room, we saw their premium stocked bar, which consisted of 2 beers, a bottle of light rum, dark rum and tequilla. There are NO premium liquors in the room. I asked for a bottle of vodka to be sent to the room and was told, "No, you will have to buy it."
The room in our bathroom was broken to the point where you could put your hand through the space and spent three days trying to get someone to come and fix it. After three days, we asked to move. Once we moved, the premium Mini-Bar was not transfered to new room (9001 to 9023). Argued for three days before satifaction.The conierge said to us that it was reported that we drank the small bottles of Tequila, Rum & Whisky. So much for the fully stocked mini-bar, while in the resort!

2. Laguna Villa Suites issues:
-One of the entry doors leading to the private pool was broken, giving access to anyone, which forced confrontation with guests requesting lounge chairs or palaps. Guests were requesting the Concierge to enforce exclusivity rules.
-Concierge service was extremely poor, the majority of time he (Renato) was not present. The hotel explained it was because he was busy checking rooms throughout the day. Funny...if he was checking, you would think that he would have noticed all the issues that people were having.
-Concierge seemed to be unwilling to make dinner reservation changes, he was very difficult to work with. When arriving, you need to book every night in advance or you cannot get into the al a carte restaurants.
-My husband ordered flowers for Valentines day and was told it could be up to two hours and it took well over 5. I never saw the flowers until I went to bed that evening.
-The hotel boasts a spa day with the room, but it is nothing more than a 30 minute massage. In fact, the coupon has items scratched out on it.
-With exception to Marco and Antonio, other bartenders in the Laguna Villas were barely qualified as bartenders. Could not deviate from the drink menu.
-WiFi service is extremely poor in the rooms. You have to take your laptop or tablet out to the pool area if you want service.
Premium liquor for platinum guests was misrepresented in the description. Comparitively, the poorest selection I have seen for premium service. The resort considers Beef Eaters premium!

4. Mama Mia Restaurant - excellent food, horrible ending. When finished with dinner, all parties were collecting their tip money, when my husband put his portion on the table. The waiter picked up his money, asked him if the service was not up to par and then tossed it back at him saying, "No need, this is all inclusive." The sorry part is that he never waited for the table to even get their money down. Needless to say, we gave him nothing. When complaining to the management of the hotel, they apologized and told us to write down our complaints. They didn't care at all! The management is horrible at this resort.

5. Turndown service was unpreditable, sometimes they would do it, sometimes they wouldn't. The would show up at 6 in the evening, while you were getting ready to go out and then wouldn't come back. Other guests would say that they were getting swans and flowers on their beds, while others never had the service. There were days our room was not cleaned. They didn't change our sheets at all.

6. Exclusive platinum beach area was not inforced for the first three days we arrived, therefore we left the beach. As a platinum guest, we expected to find a lounge chair on the beach. After complaining, security began asking guests without the appropriate colored wrist bands to leave the area.

7. Room service was good, however it takes two - three days for the dishes to be picked up. The cleannig staff would put the dirty dishes outside the doors for someone to pick up and no one did. I have had cats, coaties, Iguna's and birds making a mess in front of my room. We had to call them twice to get them to get the dishes.

8. Kleenex - I can't believe that I have to say this, but after several requests and a premium paid for this service, I couldn't get anyone to send me kleenex/tissue to the room! When I requested it, I was told that I had to go to the store to buy it. How is that for service?

This resort is stunningly beautiful, but when you receive the kind of service that we received, especially from people who are appointed as managers and the concierge, this poses the question of what service did I get for the premium I paid. It is very unfortunate. If I had paid for a standard room, I wouldn't be complaining about much of this, however, we did and we were extremely disappointed. I will be posting this letter on the Princess Web site, as well as sending it corporate. We will see how they respond then!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the Laguna Villa Suites - if you do, don't expect the type of prem...
7  Thank savage985
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Very disappointed with our return visit to this hotel. Have had to pay extra for my son although he was named on original booking and feel like I have been scammed. Hotel staff will not sort this out, despite returning to speak to manager on 3 separate days. He chose to ignore me at the reception desk- which is no way to treat any guest, never mind a returning guest. Standards have slipped at the hotel. The platinum suites no longer provide the extra comfort and there are about 14 sun loungers in the private pool for about 100 guests. No turn down service and not enough towels in the bathroom. Impossible to get a place on the shuttle to playa del Carmen. The rest of the staff are very nice- but management have really disappointed me and I have been ripped-off.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Cosmicto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!