“Very good resort.”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We went to the Grand Riviera Princess in August 2013. Once there, we were 'upgraded' to the Grand Sunset Princess. They both are really the same hotel, so I'm posting under both names. I had not understood this before I went, and had only read Riviera reviews. Sorry for this long review - I think that the all positive or all negative reviews that this hotel tends to get deserve a somewhat mixed assessment.

We went as a family of 3. Me, my husband and our 6 years old daugther. As for many here, I got worried when I read the reviews. I think that I either have very low standards; or others have them too high! Or I am realistic. When going to the Carribeans, I do not expect the same standards than I do at home. I tend to equate a 5 stars in the Carribeans to a 3 1/2 stars at home. Humidity is part of the southern climate - so I know what to expect.

We arrived at the hotel 3 hours late (Air Canada flight technical difficulties). The 1 hour travel from the airport to the hotel went very smoothly. As we exited immigration, we got a porter to carry our luggages (1 or 2 $ tip) - it was worth it, the Air Canada Vacation bus was quite far from the airport lobby. We arrived at the hotel around 4:30 PM and we didn't have to wait to check in. We were given a map and pointed to go find our room. Our luggage got there about 15 minutes after us. It is a big resort, but I've seen bigger. I would estimate a 10 minutes walk from the beach to the lobby walking at the normal pace of a 5 years old. In the evening, when my daughter was tired, we would take the shuttle. We never had issue with it. It came every 15 minutes.

We had booked a Grand Riviera Princess 'junior suite'. When we registered, we had to sign a document that said that we had received a 'free upgrade'. When I asked questions to the receptionnist, he never told us what was the upgrade. I still don't have a clue. We still had a junior suite - except on the Sunset side. We had also requested 2 beds. We got one bed and a cot. It also had a sofa and 2 chairs. And two other chair on the balcony. OUr bed was comfortable and the sheets changed everyday. On the week-end, when more people arrived, we were down to only 1 face cloth - but as they are usually lacking from resorts in the South, we had brought our own. We were in building 3 on the third floor. This is the closest building to the beach. Our room was very clean and everything worked well. We could control the AC, the ceiling fan worked well, so did the jacuzzi in the bathroom. It was spacious enough for the 3 of us and very well maintained. We loved our location near the beach. We would only go down to the lobby for nightly entertainement, so the distance didn't bother us.

I would say that everything at this resort was very clean. Even though it rained for 4 days (which is more messy), the lobby area, paths, beach, rooms were kept spotless. As others mentioned, the marble is very slippery when wet. We saw many fall. Be careful and bring flats! Staff kept on picking up the trash of those that didn't pick up after themselves (or threw their plastic cups everywhere). The only thing I didn't like were the smokers. They even smoked in the pool! That's a bit gross.

My daughter wanted to go the mini-club every night. She loved it. They have a day mini-club on the Riviera side (which is outside and was closed the 2 days we tried to go) and a night mini-club on the Sunset side. My daughter loved it there! I felt it was very safe. You needed to sign a register and no adults were allowed inside. They had a crafts room; a game room; a movie room. 2 instructors spoke French (my daughter speaks French only). Others spoke English. They were very good with the children and gave them their full attention. There is also a mini-disco every night at 8:40. It was great for the kids. Outside the club there are a few other places for families - a family game room with Air hockey and babyfoot; a sports bar with pool tables; and a play structure 'behind' the sunset building (on the trolley road) as well as an archery field and tennis fields. There is a volleyball net on the beach.

Overall, service was excellent. I did tip - but I'm not sure it made a difference service wise. Staff were polite, helpful, trying to engage with us. They did speak broken English - but that's expected. They could always understand what we wanted.

The beach is beige in color, not white like in Cuba. On some days, we had a beautiful turquoise sea. However, as it was a stormy week and we had rain, the water was often brown and filled with algea. Our 'spot' was all the way to the right, near the dive center. It seemed to be bluer and with less algea in the water around there. The chair were also more spread out; and were not obstructed by vendors. We were never bothered by the vendors. They did come around once in a while and asked if we were interested, but no insistent. The chair were not the most comfortable - they were your standard blue mesh beach chairs. We were 'bad' : when we were almost ready to go down for breakfast, usually 9 AM, my hubby would leave a few minutes before us to go 'reserve' the beach chair. We then had breakfast - and then went to the beach. Bring your water shoes to avoid the rocks (and once in - go further it is sand). With kids, bring floats or body boards. They sell them for 30 US if you decide that you want one once over there.

We never had an issue finding a poolside chair (maybe not a chair in the shade - but a chair anyway). The jacuzzis in the pools didn't all work - but those in the pool we went to did - and my daughter loved to go as it was less deep. I liked to read in them. We never went to the party pool. We enjoyed the pool the closest to our room, near building 3. It was big enough, with a pool bar, and quiet enough.

We liked the drinks served at most of the bars. I had mimosas in the morning, beer in the afternoons (probably light beer), wine (not so good), sangria or kirs in the evening. Husband was all about the fancy drinks. In other countries, I've seen the mix come out of slushy machines. Here, they do them on order. It is true that they are not always well blended. Martin - in the poolbar - was one of the bar tenders that did good and well mixed frozen drinks. (which I did abuse on a rainy day...) Be careful with the bloody ceasars, they are very spicy. My daughter had a wide choice of non-alcoolic drinks. She prefered the miami vice or mango daiquiris.

Food was great. We did enjoy it very much. Everyday, for breakfast and lunch, we went to the Sunset snack bar. It was a buffet. From Monday to Friday, it was not busy at all. It was more busy on Saturday and Sunday. Nonetheless, service was always excellent and coffee - drinks kept coming (huge difference that the lobby buffet that we visited twice and had huge lines ups and no service) We did rotate what we ate at the buffets and we didn't find it repetitive. However, if we had a bit of everything everyday, we would have become bored quickly. There are always eggs and omelets done to order in the morning; and pasta with 3 sauce choices to have done at noon. Except on our first evening where we had the Riviera buffet (good night for us, they had langouste at the grill station), we always ate at the A la Carte. Doing so meant that my hubby had to trek to the lobby everyday at 2 PM to reserve for 3 nights away. We were flexible on hours (between 6 PM and 8 PM with our daughter) and flexible on which day we wanted which restaurant. We ended up doing : Grill, Mexican, Fondue, Oriental, Oriental Teryaki, Italian. If you want menu details, please write to me. Soups were always very good! My husbands' best would be the Grill. I loved the appetizers at the Oriental (but not the tuna), my seafood pizza at the italien was just OK. The Teryaki was certainly very good overall.

We didn't partake in many resort activities. We hung out at the plaza bar; watched the Grease show in the evening; and watched a few of the evening bands at the Plaza. We basically ate, drank, and went to the pool and beach. Relaxed and read. Objective for the holidays met!!

Would I recommend this resort to friends? Sure - with the caveat that the beach can have algea and a brown color after rain. Overall, to us, this was a very strong family resort. Service was excellent, it was very clean and the grounds were beautiful. We were able to enjoy spending time as a family and relax on the beach or in the pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank zaz936
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for providing this extensive and great feedback. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
I am glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Best Regards

There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My fiancée and I traveled here last week and it exceeded our expectations. We are both world travelers and have pretty high expectations when it comes to hospitality. We chose the swim out pool junior deluxe suite and enjoyed having pool access. The grounds were beautiful and we liked all the restaurants. The rooms and lobbies were exquisite. Marble floors floor to ceiling and all upgrades throughout. The beach had several sections: family, platinum ( next to family) and adults only. We enjoyed the adults only with free beachside drink service. Just a stroll from this is the most expensive hotel in playa del Carmen's beach where we enjoyed a rock free dip in the ocean. All the waiters and servers were as nice as can be and the drinking water, shower water etc was very fresh and clean. This place is exquisite and we will be back for our honeymoon.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Danielle_B2013407
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort for your honeymoon to show you again our outstanding service.

Best Regards

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I am not sure why anyone would give this resort a negative review. From the time we arrived until the time we departed we were treated very well. Our rooms (travel in a group of 6) were comfortable and clean. It is a large resort and yes depending on where your room is, you may have to walk a bit to the beach area or pool. However, the grounds/gardens are so well groomed I never minded the walk. Quite lovely. Grill on the beach is nice for lunch. Fresh salsa, chips and a mango margarita while sitting by the beautiful blue ocean, what could be better? I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank wendy92062

Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other TripAdvisor Travelers.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.

One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have a memorable experience to share with their family and friends.

We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

When I first got to the hotel it was around 1:30 P.M. I was hoping to check right in but the room wasn't ready, fine. I went to the buffet and had lunch and came back up an hour later. At 3 P.M. I approached the front desk and was able to check in. It took roughly twenty minutes and then I was off to my room. I get to the room, swiped the key, opened the door and guess what I find? There were people in the room!! How extremely embarrassing for the both of us. I went to my friends room and called the front desk to complain. I was told hold on I'll call you back in five minutes. Fifteen minutes go by with no call so I had to walk all the way back to the front desk, while my luggage still wasn't even there. Eddie at the front desk was very polite and apologetic but nothing was offered to me except another room. I was told there could be no comp because the hotel was full and he couldn't give me free wifi because they didn't own it. I finally was so fed up I just took the key and went to my room. I have really bad allergies and I noticed there were no tissues in the room and no clock either. After dinner, I stopped by the front desk to ask for a box of tissues and the response I got was, sir we don't supply tissues, but you can buy some in the gift shop. I was floored! I've stayed at Motels with tissues. This was by no means a motel and they don't have tissues, I couldn't believe it. I just walked away and headed back to my room because I'd had a long day. What do I find when I get to my room? My door was slightly open and the lights were out. I thought I had been robbed and I was getting ready to check out. Then my door opened and one of the hotel staff members came out and he informed me Eddie had sent me champagne and fruit to apologize for this afternoon. I truly appreciated that and I sought Eddie out the next day to thank him. The worst part of the trip by far had to be the beach. There were salesmen and huts all over the beach. They actually separated the chairs from the ocean and it was extremely annoying. Every twenty minutes you were asked if you want a massage or if you'd like to buy something. The beach is supposed to be a relaxing time but between the salesmen and the wild coaties on the beach, it wasn't much fun. The security who patrols the beach also did nothing to keep either the animals or salesmen away from people. The first day in the ocean I noticed the water was dark brown and it smelled like sewage in this one section so I made sure to stay clear away from it. The next day it was the same and I later on found out that a pipe had burst and it actually was sewage. It was extremely disgusting because the hotel did nothing to keep other guests from swimming in it. On the third day I finally gave in and bought the over priced wifi and was charged twice for it. I went to the concierge and had it resolved and I was promised 2-3 days before it would be reversed. It took them 13 days until the money was refunded to me. Another big drawback was the reservation process for dinner. You could only book a few days in advance and you couldn't book until 2 P.M. everyday and the girls were sitting there doing nothing, but made you wait until 2. They also would tell you sorry the restaurant is full, you can't eat there but when you went to eat dinner it was half empty. So I didn't get to try two of the restaurants because it was "full."

The only positive to the hotel was the friendly staff. Samantha, Karina, Adrian, Johnathan, Edwin and Lallo from the entertainment team were excellent by the pool and during the shows. Jorge and Leonardo from the Las Olas buffet were extremely nice and remembered you everyday. Greg from the La Fleur French restaurant was also excellent and Sandra from best day travel was also extremely nice and made everything very easy.

I travel a lot and have been to many great places, but this was overall a terrible experience.

Room Tip: The junior suite with the option to swim out in to the pool was incredible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank James21390
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest,
First of all, please accept our sincere apologies for the embarrassing situation you had when you came into your room, actually is not a very common situation and in no way represent our overall service.
About your comments about the salesmen and huts over the beach, allow me tell you that they not have any relation with the Hotel, also we cannot do anything about it, because in Mexico, the beach is public, so we can’t take out the sellers; I am sorry if this situation affected your stay.

Also surprise me your comment about the pipe, first, the hotel does not have any pipe that goes to sea, here in Mexico like in most parts of the world it is strictly prohibited to throw any type of waste into the ocean.

Now I would like to explain about the smell which you will have noticed at certain times of the day, is naturally produced by the growth of green algae on the surface of the water. At the end of its natural cycle, the process of algae decomposition begins which produces an unpleasant smell, This smell is not the result of any contamination but rather the result of any entirely natural and organic process.
Now about the color of the sea, allow me inform you that the red mangrove that we have in great quantity in our property, surround part of our beach is contained by a flood area, so when it rains, the water level quickly increases, getting a brown-red color, due to the Stannic Acid contained in the mangrove and through a natural drainage gets to the ocean providing vital substances with its respective environmental benefits.

Also we have been informed by official Government experts and different biologists that this natural cycle does not jeopardize the health of our customers.
I am saddened to know that despite the great effort of Eddie you go home with a bad impression of our hotel, however I am glad that you were pleased with the excellent service from our staff.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I went to Grand Sunset Princess with my fiancé, sister and her family for 2 weeks. After reading some of the reviews I was a bit concerned however, some people have absurd standards so did not let it worry to much! The grounds of the hotel were beautiful and it was lovely to walk through on the way down to the beach everyday... It literally takes about 5-10mins to walk down depending on the pace. It is not far at all.. Yes it can sometimes feel a little longer but this is simply just because of the heat but you are in Mexico after all! We caught the shuttle a couple of times and you do not need to wait long at all. We never had a bad meal the whole holiday. My fiancé and I (both 26) loved the Miso restaurant and also the Italian. Also had a lovely meal in the Steakhouse however, equally enjoyed the buffet and the wide variety... could honestly not complain about the food at all! The live band was amazing and on every night with staff coming round taking your drink order so could just relax & enjoy. You must also try The Chill Out restaurant on the beach... Absolutely loved it! It is not included in the 'all inclusive' package so you do have to pay for it but definitely worthwhile. We ended up spending most days at The Chill Out section of the beach as you got extra comfy beds and amazing service. Sergio & Amador were excellent, so friendly and attentive!! It does cost $13 each to use the chill out during the day however we felt is was well worth it!! We decides against the Platinum upgrade seeing as the rooms were perfectly fine and we were hardly in them and the part we most liked about the idea was a cordoned off area of the beach but we got this and much more at the Chill Out and saved us far more money and it really made our holiday!! My 2 nieces especially loved the Night Club which played great music and gave us some great laughs, the sports bar was also great and provided tasty snacks all day & night. I would recommend this resort to all my friends and family and would definitely go back! We are all struggling to adjust being back home!!! :(

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Jdixon2312

Dear guest,
I’m really happy to read your nice comments about your stay with us.
We really appreciate your objective review about our facilities, the service and our staff.
All the staff of our Resort feels so glad when we receive review as yours.
Also we feel pleased, specially our executive chef, to know that you get a good opinion about the meals.
It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

It wasn't terrible, but there are so many more far better resorts for the same price or better. Try the Now resorts, Sandals resorts, Dreams resorts, or the Secrets resorts lines...you won't be disappointed there.

FOOD:
Quantity-no issues, Quality & taste-Mediocre. NOTE: HAVE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR A-LA-CARTE RESTURANTS AT THE MAIN BUILDING AT A SPECIAL TELEPHONE/DESK AT THE FAR CORNER OFTHE RESORT You cannot just show up NOR can you call from your room. Plan ahead or be prepared to walk a long way everyday. Many restuarants were closed so you could only choose 1-3 different ones apart from the buffet. Due to the closures and rotating schedules you will not be able to try all of them without careful planning and help from the staff as to when they are supposed to be open. Food was ok but not up to taste quality for even a four-star resort.

ROOMS: No major compliants: Clean, Beautiful, one cockroach (that was expected for the ground-floor in the tropics), swim-out suite was great feature. Floors are SUPER slippery when wet, bare feet or otherwise. Many rooms are very far from everything, its a big resort, be prepared to walk a lot and often.

BEACH: Fantastic. Sandbar goes out for at least 100 metres to waist deep. Clean. The 'Beach Club' for $10 extra was nice for a day to have nicer loungers and service and less crowd. I can't remember what the little animal at the beach was called ( I called them "Tropical Raccons" and it seems to be close description except for a reddish color and a long tail and nose) at the beach were very cute and not at all aggressive or bothersome. Bring a camera and have fun.

RESORT: big, clean, nice gardens, big kind of boring and empty. WARNING ALL THE FLOORS WITH POLISHED STONE ARE VERY SLIPPERY WHEN WET - barefoot OR shoes. I saw at least a dozen people have bad falls while staying here and slipped a few times myself.

SERVICE: mediocre overall. The staff don't seem to be happy or appear to like their job. a few bar staff were great, but they get a lot of tips sooo...of course. The staff at restaurant-booking desk seemed like it was punishment. I can't say they were terrible, but I paid A LOT of money to go here and I don't expect them to wait on me hand an foot, but I do expect them to be friendly and polite (which wasn't the case).

ENTERTAINMENT: Poor. special night show like the fire dancers were nice but that was it and day-time entertainment almost non-existent except for the regular pool activities.

TROLLEY: unreliable, infrequent, long waits....don't rely on it and be prepared to walk ALOT AND OFTEN...bring comfortable walking shoes.

Final opinion, much better resorts are available for the same price or lower. Try the Now resorts, Sandals resorts, Dreams resorts, or the Secrets resorts lines...you won't be disappointed there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your opinion about our hotel.
Definitely, I would like to inform you that we are working to implement a new reservation process to satisfy our customers.

However your comment about that many restaurants were closed, baffles me, because in this high season for any reason close, I remind you also that schedules a la carte restaurants are fixed and open from 6:00 pm to 11:00 p.m.

As for the quality of food, we appreciate and respect your opinion, I assure you I will make it reach our Executive Chef to review our quality standards.

Regarding the service offered by our staff, let me say that we regret that you have a bad impression of them, because all work very hard to satisfy our guests

We do hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Fell on 1st night there due to wet marble floors in hall way. They could have cared less. An airline stewert saw me fall and hit my head. She made me lay there until the front office called the doctor. In the meantime a worker placed a "wet floor " sign on the floor. This was seen by the 2 people with me and 2 other people that was not with us. When the doctor arrived, he asked me what I hit, I told him my head, back and right elbow. He did not check anything on me. Not my pupils, not my back, not my elbow that was gashed and bleeding. He said I should go to the hospital for x rays. I explained I did not have insurance. I ask the hotel if they would pay for it, they said "no, it wasn't their fault, there was a sign right there saying wet floor". Needless to say, I didn't go to the hospital. The hotel would not move us to a ground floor room closer to the restaurants, as I was having issues with walking and climbing after the fall. I only saw 1 elevator on our side of the hotel. They have the worst front desk and management team I have ever seen. The terrible thing is they are aware of the floors being slick, especially when it rains. I saw 3 other people fall after I did. What was really funny was, the day after I fell, they put a wet floor sign outside of our door!! This ruined my trip. I was unable to go on any of our planned excursions because I could hardly walk. Very dissatisfied. But I will say the grounds are nice and the wait staff was wonderful. If you go, be very careful with all of the floors.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank cheresajohnson

Dear Guest,
I deeply regret that on your first night with us suffer such accident, please accept our sincere apologies.
As for the physical exam by our doctor, I can tell you, that him may not see the need to review those parts of the body.
I was surprised to know that you had trouble walking, because you do not mention that you injured your legs.
I think that any type of floor becomes slippery when it rains, so our cleaning staff is working all the time.
I am sorry that all your opinion is based on this unfortunate accident that you had on your first night,
I hope you give us a second chance to show that we are willing to provide the service that you and all our guests deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!