“Would not go back”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Canada
“Would not go back”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The service was TERRIBLE. Staff were not overly friendly. Management was horrible. The gounds were well kept, it is a beautiful resort. However, food was comparable to Cuba and the people were rather rude. I would not go back to this resort simply because of the poor management. Having accidently broken something worth no more that $20.00 dollars Canadian (a piece of plexiglass) I was charged around 3180.00 pesos. Roughly $300.00 US. Having asked to speak to a manager about this mis understanding, you would think they would work out some sort of compromise. Common sense is when you break something you are respoinsble for paying for it, understood. however it seems they deliberatly gouched people when the oppourtinity arose. Come check out time, people had miscellaneous room charges, one traveller recieved a bill of $ 2,400 US dollars from roomservice charges. (This is also one of the only resorts I have ever been too, which does not include room service, unless in the platinum suites)... All in all if your just looking to stay somewhere beautiful, im sure theres many other gorgoues resorts in Mexico. Do not go here for the food, or service. It is not worth your while.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank JazzyJ005
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear JazzyJ005
We really appreciate this review. We are sorry that you did not have the best services as we are used to give, we really apologize and be sure we will sharing your comments with our staff in order to improve and take actions to give an exceptional service.

However allow me explain you that as in any facility when you break something, you have to pay for it.

Rest assured that your feedback enabled us to review procedures in the effort to avoid a recurrence and continue providing the excellent service we have become known for.

Grand Sunset Princess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,383)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Went with my family from Feb.21 - 28,2014.

The resort is amazing the first time you see it. Very clean, grounds are meticulous. Iguanas and Coaties (Raccoon like animals) are all around.

You won't go hungry here, lots to choose from, but by the end of the week, you were craving food from home.
Got into the resort late,(around 11 p.m.) The eager beaver busboys were falling over each other to gather our luggage and get their tips. What seemed like a good 5 -6 minute walk throughout the top tier floors we realized that this resort was quite large.(But we sort of knew this going in.) When we arrived at our rooms(2). The busboy tried to swipe the cards to let us in. They didn't work...(was this an omen?!)
After he tried both, he basically gave them back, directed us to take the Lord Of The Rings walk back to the front desk. We tried our other room door first, it worked, so at least our luggage didn't have to sit in the hallway.
My wife returned to the desk, was met met with major attitude from the male desk clerk.(It was like we were causing them great discomfort to have to deal with giving us new room slider cards.) With a roll of his eyes, he gave new ones and we went back to try them. Imagine to our chagrin, they didn't work either. We looked at each other in disbelief & returned to the desk. After a 3rd time they finally opened the door.
This happened again on the 2nd day as well. Even our wonderful maid we had for the week, could not enter with her cards as well. She said it was probably the battery that was dying in the mechanism. When maintenance came down to inspect, my wife attempted to explain what was going on & what the maid had said. He basically waved his hand in her face and shushed her. (Like he didn't want to hear it.)
4th day in, upon returning from the beach, my wife and son entered our son's room. They found the the shower door (all glass,even the toilet door was glass),completely shattered on the floor. They called the maid in from the hallway to see. My wife called the front desk to report this. Several people (around 4), came to inspect & start their 'investigation', or rather assume that the door was busted through negligence. We felt like we were on trial and they from the onset looked at us in a accusatory manner. They spoke in their language and didn't really seem to see things our way.
Later that night a note was slipped under out door, demanding a "broken door charge" of $350 USD! "Thank you, Lobby Riviera Concierge Desk".
*(In retrospect, we should have spoken with our Sun Wing Rep. before paying this fee.) They reolaced the door immediately, (Fastest service ever!), with a used dirty door with soap scum and scratches...(New door? I think not!)
We then realized that the adjoining glass door(for the toilet wouldn't open properly after their install.) We called maintenance in fear of that door shattering if we pulled too hard. It was jammed so tight, that when the maintenance guy finally freed it up, We all noticed that the door had friction marks, like scratched metal marks to show that the frames were indeed rubbing against the doors. Concierge guy came up, inspected it, took photos, apologized to us.(1st apology after 4 days). Then told us he would call us in an hour,never heard from him or anyone for the remainder of our vacation.(Needless to say, it left a sour taste in our mouths, and we couldn't really enjoy the rest of our stay.
Gift shops at the resort were outrageously priced,(ie: A bag of Cheetos was $12.50 USD) When we commented to each about the price, a snooty sales lady took the bag from us and restocked it on the shelf. Can you say..."tact"?
Our friend bought shoes from one of these shops.(We told her to wait until we went into Playa Del Carmen, she couldn't, so she ended up paying $60.
My wife bought the same shoes for $18 in town.
*I would strongly discourage anyone from buying at the resorts shops, its a cash grab.
Lastly the vendors beach shacks truly destroy a beautiful view of the beach, The vendors didn't leave us alone(very aggressive), until we had dark tans by the end of the week. They put all the loungers in behind the vendors huts. But if you'd like to pay above and beyond the all inclusive money that you paid, you can pay extra money to sit in unobstructed loungers closer to the beach.
The burgers at the beach grill were quite tasty.
The ocean was nice, but the rocks really caused havoc on feet, wear water shoes!
We're not complainers, we usually frown upon others who have sour grapes reviews.
But I felt this had to be said about this 5 star resort that people who pay hard earned money to stay at places like this should not be treated rudely by snooty Concierge/desk people & upper management.
*They should in fact, take huge lessons from their front line workers,(Maids and lawn maintenance people, & servers at the buffets and restaurants.) Who always had a pleasant smile and said Hola when we walked by!

Would not recommend this place to anyone.

We will never come back to this resort or support any other Princess resort.

These people that are employed in the management areas seem to forget that its the tourists are what keep them employed.

Surprisingly enough, when you read the other negative reviews, they (The Princess PR) are so quick to apologize in writing on this forum, Too bad they could never seem to demonstrate this while you were there.

Room Tip: The 7000s are closer to the pools and beach.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Joe G
Dear guest,

We are deeply sorry that we didn’t reach your expectations. Our goal is that all our guests have a Great experience while staying with us and it is clear to me that your experience was not the usual experience that our guests have at Grand Sunset Princess.

Regarding the cards, as any mechanism of any hotel tend to fail in a certain period of time. Please, be confident that what occurred to you is not at all a common situation and in no way represent our overall service.

Now it seems to me that you could not enjoy the rest of your stay due to the problem with the glass door and for that reason you highlight the negatives of your stay, however allow me explain you that as in any facility when you break something, you have to pay for it.

Also if you want, I can send the report lock of the suite of your son of that day and prove that no one had entered the room, except for your son.

Finally I would like to apologize for any behavior of our staff that may have insulted to you.
Thank you for sharing your experience and hopefully we can have the opportunity to have you with us again to give you the service you was expecting and you really deserve.

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Plain and simple, this resort is excellent!!! Beautiful grounds and clean, spacious, extra modern style rooms. Marble stone floors throughout the resort, luxury at it's best. And the food is actually great! So much to choose from and always fresh and hot. Two different buffets and many a la cartes to choose from. The mexican and steak house were delicious. The huge beach is white sand and it goes on for miles. Beach is kept clean and free of seaweed. Drinks are wonderful. I especially liked the frozen blended drink menu, so many different types of margaritas and daquiris to choose from! The location is excellent for those who enjoy excursions without the long bus ride, and it's only a half hour from the airport. I been to many resorts in Mexico and Dominican and this one blows them all out of the water. I will definitely come back to this resort!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank Angerowsell
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Angerowsell
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at Grand Sunset Princess.
One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have an unforgettable experience to share with their family and friends.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.
Best Regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I just came back from this hotel and was very unimpressed. First, you should know that this hotel is huge and feels like a cruise ship. If you like big cruise ships, then you will like this hotel.

Room: We stayed on the Riviera side, and had the Grand Yucatan Platinum Suite with pool access. I was expecting a gorgeous room, so was bummed out when i walked in and found a dark, moldy smelling room. Yes, it has pool access, but the room itself was below average. It was also infested with mosquitoes. I got completely attacked in my sleep my first night, and complained about the bugs every day. They came to spray, but it didn't do much. They didn't offer to change my room, or even comp me a spa treatment after seeing the bites i received. The beds and pillows were awful. I think I woke up at 4am every day because i had bugs buzzing in my ear and i was just too uncomfortable. The bathroom is fine, but very little privacy.

Food: The food was fine. Nothing of note, but what was frustrating is that when I checked in, i was told that there were some restaurants on site where reservations were required. So when i went to make reservations with the concierge, most were completely booked. We went to two, and thought they were fine, but definitely do not expect a culinary experience. There was also very little mexican food.

Service: Mostly the service by the staff was good, but not outstanding. I just think there are too many people at this resort to take care of for the staff to be exceptional. Not their fault, probably just understaffed.

Beach: The beach is beautiful and we never had a problem finding a place to sit, but the beach was very far from our room, though they provide a shuttle service. But for me, i want to see beach out my window when I am on vacation. Not walk 10 mins or take a shuttle service. And if you want to be in the more quiet part of the beach, it's quite a walk to find a bathroom or food.

This place just felt like a machine, and just not my idea of a vacation. I will not be heading back here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lvd80
Dear lvd80

Thank you very much for having chosen Grand Sunset Princess for your vacations at the Mayan Riviera.

I apologize for the first impression you had of us, but I assure you that we do all our best in order to satisfy all valuable guests.

Regarding your comment about the bugs , we would like to inform you that we fumigate 2 times a day to remove the mosquitos, but I would like to remind you that due to geographical circumstances of our hotel is very common to find these bugs, I deeply regret that this has been a reason for not enjoy your holidays.

Also allow me explain that fortunately for us, we are in high season and we did not have suites available to change your room, but our staff makes sure don’t leave any mosquito and advises guests to close the doors properly to avoid this situation again.

Finally I deeply regret that our Hotel doesn’t match with you and your expectations
We wish you have a better experience on your next vacations.

Best regards,
Riviera Maya, Mexico

Awesome:
- The food all over was very flavorful and great variety, that includes the buffets, beach snack bar and the a la cartes
- the resort itself was immaculate and so grand!
- the staff were all amazing and hard workers!
- Our room was very clean and roomy!

Not so good:
- The general beach area, we were roped in, meaning if you wanted to move your chairs closer to the ocean (and we are ocean lovers), it was $15 extra per person per day...what?
- There was not enough chairs by the ocean, there seemed to be a lot of chairs by all the pools, but we come for the ocean, not for the pools
- Our view were the permanent Vendor huts... which apparently are on government owned land and the hotel has been trying to buy them out.... seriously, I came for the ocean view, not the shacks.
- With every day came something which was not included and cost extra: some of the a la cartes, the chairs by the ocean, the selection of the liquors at the bars
- At each bar was a side with all brand named liquors and the other side were for the 'commoners' - if you wanted brand name liquors, you had to pay for them...what?
- They advertise as having WIFI in the rooms and the front lobbies, but then were told it had to be bought and blamed the travel agent.
- Bought a week's worth of 'WIFI' and it worked 50/50 percent of the time
- With this listed as a 5 star all inclusive resort, I wouldn't be calling this an all inclusive, but an almost all inclusive.
- the red house wines the hotel had tasted like vinegar, it was awful. I enjoy red wine with my dinner, but I was not about to pay for a bottle every night, so I went without.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angie A
Dear Angie A,

On behalf of the staff and management here at Grand Sunset Princess we would like to thank you for your review. However, we regret that our hotel was not up to your expectation due to some drawbacks.

Regarding your comments about the vendors, allow me explain that we do not have any relation with the vendors on the beach.
In fact, they have a license from our government that allows them to be placed on the beach.
However, there are no vendors in front of the entire beach, so I'm sure that everyone will find a good place to enjoy the ocean view.
Also I regret that you were not able to check what including your package, usually the tour operators offers an explanation about every package, additionally in our official website you are able to check all the amenities of each suite.

We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable.

Kind Regards
Grand Sunset Princesss
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I must start out by saying that the resort itself is nice. Clean rooms, public areas, and swimming pools. The food was simply there. Not bad but surely not good. The service was top notch everywhere we went with one LARGE exception. The front desk. We had a very BIG issue with someone having our contact information and contacting us asking for money. They seemed to know when we arrived, places we went, and how to contact us via email asking for money. The only place to have all of that information is the front desk we assume. We tried to speak to the Director, and the response of the front desk was, "he's here somewhere just look around." Not what we were expecting at all. The top managers have a lot to be desired when a problem arises. Unfortunately we had to contact the US Consulate and well as PROFECO - which is designed to protect consumers against abuses or fraud by companies operating in Mexico. The best advice I can give is "buyer beware."

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but an upgrade to Platinum is not worth it. If you want internet for a brief...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Chris H
St. Stephen, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I returned from this resort on February 26th, 2014 from a weeks holiday. The resort was gorgeous, food fabulous and beach extremely nice and warm. It had only two downsides, one is the walking and walking and walking. The mosquitoes were vicious at night and at the fondue a la carte. I counted approx. 33 bites and boy do they itch. Take some coristone cream with you. My bug spray did not make a bit of difference. We had a swim out room and we should of asked for the riviera side as it got more sun during the day.

Room Tip: Swim up room at riviera side. Ask for a middle of resort room. There is an elevator where the buff...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank survivor1
Dear survivor1,
Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with the community of TripAdvisor,
It is disappointing to know that you did not enjoy your vacations with us for 2 issues.
I can understand that walk around our resort may become tiresome, however thinking in our valuable guests, we provide a shuttle that runs every 15 mins from the lobby to the beach.

Now talking about the mosquitos, we would like to inform you that we fumigate 2 times a day to remove the mosquitos, but I would like to remind you that due to geographical circumstances of our hotel is very common to find these bugs, I deeply regret that this has been a reason for not enjoy your holidays.

However we understand that each vacations and each experience is different and we respect your opinion, for this reason we will forward your comments to each department involve in order to refresh to our staff the quality of service that we are use to provide to our guests.
We wish you have a better experience on your next vacations.

Best regards,
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!