“Beautiful Resort - Don't belive the bad reviews!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 September 2008

I just came back from the Grand Sunset Princess, we booked through Sunwing on escapes.ca. There was 4 of us (two 19 yr old and two 21 yr old) and we stayed there from August 31st through September 7th. After reading a lot of bad reviews about this hotel before going I was a little sceptical – but don’t believe what many of these reviews are saying! The hotel was amazing and we had a great vacation. This was my second AI vacation at the Mayan Riviera and this was by far much better than the other hotel I stayed at (which is also a 5 star).

Travelling in off season did have a lot of perks. We were able to get reservations at a different a la carte restaurant every night and they were all delicious and the staff members were always friendly and attentive. Also, usually at resorts you have to get up early to save a spot by the pool or the beach – but we did not have to. We arrived at the beach everyday around 11am and had no problems finding a spot with some shade.

The resort is absolutely beautiful, but it is very big so be prepared to do a lot of walking. We heard some complaints about the walk from the rooms to the beach but if you are booking at a large resort – what do you expect? There is a shuttle that you can wait for but we preferred to walk.

Unlike many reviews that I have read, we had no problems with check-in; I think that there may have been so many problems because it was a new resort. The staff definitely has everything under control now.

I will admit though that something they need to work on is their nightly shows. They weren’t the greatest but they did have a couple of good acrobats who did cirque de soleil type of stuff. Also while the beach and water are both beautiful, there are some rocks when you first enter the water, so you think that will bother you, bring water shoes. I managed without it, but growing up in Northern Canada, I am used to rock bottom lakes! One last thing would be to bring a little bit of bug spray because there tends to be some mosquitos around the lagoons at night. I didn’t get many bites though and the hotel does provide some type of bug wipe.

All in all, it was a very nice vacation and hotel. I highly recommend getting a massage on the beach, it was awesome. Personally, I think that a lot of these bad reviews came from people who are very hard to please and who come expecting the world. I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone and would be willing to go again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
13  Thank jfidl084
There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed 10 September 2008

This property looks nice, but the service is TERRIBLE. We had to wait in line almost an hour at the front desk to check in because guests already registered were in line complaining! I thought what a cranky bunch of people, but I soon knew why. We were with a mother/daughter high school senior group taking a trip together.. The list of poor service would exhaust a reader, but here are some of our problems:
~In 4 days our mini fridge was never restocked- 1 fridge was empty on arrival and 2 had a few random bottles in them.
~One bathroom had not been cleaned and still had empty shampoo bottles in it from the previous guest. EWW!
~Maid service completely skipped a room 1 day, even though we were out all day and they had access.
~ We could not get bottled water. When you would ask for it at the front desk or a bar, you were told they were low and would have some later giving you 2 bottles for 6 people. Later never came. Of course they never brought any to the rooms. Not one ice machine I saw worked!
~I tried to book a dinner in a restaurant and was told there was no availability. Only after I fussed loudly did they miraculously find an empty table for us. (I was told you need to give them $ for a reservation, but having never had to bribe my way into an AI table I had no $ with me and after spending over an hour waiting to talk to the reservation lady I wasn't about to go back, get $ and wait some more!)
~ When you called the front desk for help, you got the run around.
~ They were very strict about taking food from the designated dining room. If you wanted to take some fruit or a sweet roll and coffee to a friend back in the room you were stopped and made to feel like a thief!
~ We were only allowed 1 key per room, which was a bit of a hardship as we were traveling with a group of mothers and daughters and often wanted to leave and come back at different times.
~ We were made to wait in line at the BUFFETS, even though there were empty tables. This was weird, but they intimidated you into waiting and made you feel like you needed to be polite and not push in front of the people in front of you. Some waits were 15 minutes when the place was 3/4 empty!
Gosh, we had lots more complaints, but I'm tired of typing! Food was nothing special, service was nonexistent. While the property was nice enough, they needed to keep it cleaner! There are so many other lovely places to stay in Playa, do yourself a favor and go there!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
10  Thank HappyTravel123
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess on our honeymoon and loved it. The staff was friendly and more than helpful. I recommend booking your trip through TNT travel, as their on site rep. Josue is fantastic. He booked all of our excursions and got us a free upgrade on the first day. I've read the critical reviews and completely disagree. My one recomendation is to pack a razor scooter. The hotel is huge and requires a lot of walking. I would agree with the folks who disliked the food, it was awful. Stop complaining, You're on vacation!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank drgonzo76
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I was there in late August.
A fabulous hotel. All of you should go there.
A hotel with fantastic details.
Food very good.
Kind People.
Rooms good.

(Some comments made by some people here are not true. The hotel is great)

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank Ricas
Reviewed 1 September 2008

This place was a horror show. Stayed here from August 5th to the 11th. Went with a party of 16. The food was terrible at the buffets. Tried to make reservations at the restaurants but this was not an easy process as we had to wait on line at the restaurants in the morning to get reservations. Food at the Italian restaurants was very good. Many empty seats but yet they limited the amount of people who could get in, as it is more profitable to force guests to eat at the buffet. The front desk and concierge were impossible to deal with. Nasty, even when you were nice to them.They just are not customer service oriented. I guess they don't count on repeat business. Once you go here you will never go back. The grounds were very nice. There are many more all inclusives to choose from. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here. The happiest day of this vacation was the day I was leaving to go home.

7  Thank dino734
Reviewed 1 September 2008

This is our fifth stay in an AI in Mexico, and we believe that this has been one of our best trips. There were 6 of us, ranging in age from 3 - 58, and everyone had a great time.

For several months we had been reading the reviews, and we were apprehensive. However, we went with an open mind and, thanks to reviews that we had read, solutions to most of the problems.

Check-in was quick and easy. We were upgraded to Platinum as the occupancy was only about 60%. This is definitely a nice perk, and would consider going this route if we were to stay there again.

We had a couple of maintenance issues that were resolved within minutes of reporting them.

It is a big resort, but a shuttle is provided. Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes. There are mosquitoes--bring repellent. The showers do leak onto the tile floors--lay a large towel down. The buffets at breakfast and lunch don't change. Don't choose everything at every meal! The beach does have rocky areas--bring swim shoes.

We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The nightly shows were above average. Some were very good. Some of the reservation-required restaurants were also very good. We enjoyed Mama Mia and Le Fleur. Hacienda was comparable to the lunch buffets.

The pools were very nice. The water is warm, but the temperature outside is over 100. There were not many people in the pools as most of them seemed to be at the beach. This was great for our 3-year-old. There weren't many activities for our little one; however, at least some of the pools have shallow areas that she could stand in. There is some play ground equipment.

We went sailing one morning, and that was quite enjoyable. A refundable deposit was required. It's a good idea to make a reservation. They do have staff to sail with you if necessary--for a fee.

We were given a questionnare to fill out at one of the evening restaurants. Perhaps this is an indication that management is concerned about past problems and is trying to alleviate them.

We had a great time!

12  Thank LangstonMissouri
Reviewed 1 September 2008

My family and I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess August 23 to the 30th. The Resort is absolutely Beautiful, but Management was horrible.

The Buffet was okay........not great not bad. The Breakfast Buffet was the best. We made reservations for the Italian, Grilled Chicken/Steak and Swiss Restaurant. Horrible and wasn't worth it at all. First of all the restaurants lack character. None of the restaurants' designs represented the culture of food they were offering in each restaurant.

The wait was absolutely ridiculously. It was so long at the Grilled Steak House (that's not the name, but I can't remember), that some of our family and friends actually got up and went to the buffet. When we finally began to eat, for those who stayed, the chicken was good but the salmon was extra dry and salty.

We then decided to give the italian restaurant, Mama Mia, a chance the next night. Again, big let down. The menus don't offer a variety of foods at all. The food at the buffet tasted better.

We were so disappointed that we didn't even try the third restaurant, which would of been serving Swiss food. We just stuck with the buffet for the remainder of the vacation.

We stayed in Room 2033. The room was very beautiful, although we also had alot of problems with mosquitoes. The shower also leaked to the toilet area. That was extremely annoying.

My bathing suits and my 2 year old's bathing suit was stolen off the balcony of our hotel room. We were on the ground floor, and I put our suits out to dry after coming from the pool. We left them out there and woke up the next morning to find them gone. I called Security and they had no idea how to handle the situation. Were very unprofessional..puting me on hold forever..then transferring me to other people without even letting me know. I filled out a report, and still no help..no call. I finally went to the Concierge and starting raising hell. Only then did two security officers follow myself and my daughter back to our room. They said they wanted to investigate the matter. Fine no problem...we get back to the room only for them to start searching my children's things and my things. I finally had to remind them that I was the victim not the victomizer. They left and that was the end of it. My room was directly across from the children's playground/daycare.

I asked them if they had a video camera in which they could review what might have happened, and they told me no. I don't understand how they could not have a video camera covering the grounds especially by the children's playground/daycare.

The shows at night were okay. Out of a 10...I would give it a 5. Alot of the staff just seemed unaware and clueless. Asking questions, getting directions.....just clueless.

On a positive note, the resort is very beautiful,pools were warm and nice, and I think I would go back there in maybe 6 or 7 years.

5  Thank Gio4212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!