I just came back from the Grand Sunset Princess, we booked through Sunwing on escapes.ca. There was 4 of us (two 19 yr old and two 21 yr old) and we stayed there from August 31st through September 7th. After reading a lot of bad reviews about this hotel before going I was a little sceptical – but don’t believe what many of these reviews are saying! The hotel was amazing and we had a great vacation. This was my second AI vacation at the Mayan Riviera and this was by far much better than the other hotel I stayed at (which is also a 5 star).
Travelling in off season did have a lot of perks. We were able to get reservations at a different a la carte restaurant every night and they were all delicious and the staff members were always friendly and attentive. Also, usually at resorts you have to get up early to save a spot by the pool or the beach – but we did not have to. We arrived at the beach everyday around 11am and had no problems finding a spot with some shade.
The resort is absolutely beautiful, but it is very big so be prepared to do a lot of walking. We heard some complaints about the walk from the rooms to the beach but if you are booking at a large resort – what do you expect? There is a shuttle that you can wait for but we preferred to walk.
Unlike many reviews that I have read, we had no problems with check-in; I think that there may have been so many problems because it was a new resort. The staff definitely has everything under control now.
I will admit though that something they need to work on is their nightly shows. They weren’t the greatest but they did have a couple of good acrobats who did cirque de soleil type of stuff. Also while the beach and water are both beautiful, there are some rocks when you first enter the water, so you think that will bother you, bring water shoes. I managed without it, but growing up in Northern Canada, I am used to rock bottom lakes! One last thing would be to bring a little bit of bug spray because there tends to be some mosquitos around the lagoons at night. I didn’t get many bites though and the hotel does provide some type of bug wipe.
All in all, it was a very nice vacation and hotel. I highly recommend getting a massage on the beach, it was awesome. Personally, I think that a lot of these bad reviews came from people who are very hard to please and who come expecting the world. I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone and would be willing to go again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen