“Pretty good place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Broomfield, Colorado
“Pretty good place”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Traveled to this hotel 6/5- 6/12 for a wedding with my husband and 10 month old daughter. Over all this was a very nice resort.

The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The only complaint I have was in the hallways I noticed many cockroaches. I did see them spray for insects several times. I realize in a tropical climate there will be insects but perhaps they should have been swept up once they died? Yes, there is a slight walk from the room to the beach. We are in the farthest building from the beach but really it wasn't a big deal at all. As other reviews have said the floors around the hotel and pool area get slippery when wet so be cautious.The only complaint I have about the grounds. The beach was equally as nice. Those that mentioned there were vendor huts....I'm not sure what they were talking about, there were a couple massage areas but other then that there were no vendor huts. The ocean bottom was slightly rocky, but you must remember you are at the beach so what do you expect. I was able to walk out in the water just fine. There is a sand bar a little ways out that was nice to go to as well. This place has a million different pools...something for everyone. There was a "party" pool which has music and activities and got pretty packed. The other pools were slightly quieter but all were nice in their own way. Plenty of beach and pool chairs all the time, if want front row and center by the main party pool then I would suggest putting a towel out in the morning. Bars were in abundance as well. I can't exactly speak for the drinks or the food because my husband and I both got sick on day one and were unable to drink and eat for the entire duration of our visit. There was plenty of options . The "shuttle" to Playa del Carmen was a cab service that came specific times. It was $4 per person even including babies, cheaper then taking a cab. I brought my own pack-n-play I did see a crib in the hallway that looked very old and very run down. They have a mini fridge in the rooms that are stocked with 3 (1 L) bottles of water everyday and an assortment of other drinks. These get stocked by a different person then the house keeper. Everyone was incredibly friendly and service was fantastic. The power during our stay continually went on and off especially during the middle of the night, needless to say we didn't get much sleep as it frequently woke our baby up....VERY annoying with or without a baby. Please remember even though it says tips are included, they work very hard for very little pay and a couple bucks goes a long way.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AHouseL
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear AHouseL,

First of all thank you for choosing Grand Sunset Princess as the place to spend your recent holidays as well as for having taken the time to share your comments.

We took a good note of your observations. The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the greatest assistance to us. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have faced and you may rest assured that the heads of various departments are well informed about your particular observations.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards.
Grand Sunset Princess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,353)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We just returned from a huge family trip and by far our experiences in Mexico were the most memorable. We travelled as a larger group so all up - 5 adults and 3 kids (All 7 years old).

As soon as we arrived at the Grand Sunset Princess we felt welcomed, special and started to relax.

The hotels lobby itself is beautiful, its grand entrance is impressive and even better - the resort is just as lovely. The grounds, with gorgeous gardens and statues, ponds and bridges leave you in awe. It's immaculately maintained and you feel like you are in paradise.

The rooms were very spacious, modern, clean and cool. We took the platinum package and we're not disappointed! The beds were comfortable, facilities in the room good too.

This all inclusive resort delivered yet again when it came to breakfast, lunch, dinner and anything in between. The Buffet is the place to eat it changed every day and the variety was excellent. There is something to suit even the fussiest pallet. I'm not usually happy eating buffets, but this was so well done I challenge any other resorts to meet this standard! The restaurants in the resort however were not to our liking and speaking to many other people we met while there, they ALL agreed. We were more than happy eating at the buffet, I am still wanting more after 10 days there!

The pools were fantastic, the bars were great, the spa terrific too. There was nightly entertainment which was good and my kids are still raving about the kids club!

Last but not least - the staff. For the most part we were extremely happy (a few of them were rude or not interested) but by far the majority couldn't do enough for you. Yes we tipped and quite often, but we felt they deserved it. Jorge and Vincent in the Sunset Snack Bar (where we ate a hearty breakfast every day) were wonderful waiters and hosts!

So all in all, we had a marvellous time.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the beach then request this, otherwise you could be miles away. The hotel is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tania D
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Tania D,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and, it is wonderful to read that you consider our staff was friendly and the fact that the buffet was the best with an amazing food.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you at Grand Sunset Princess for your next holidays in Playa del Carmen.

Toronto
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from 10 days here. I will start with the negatives just to get them out of the way. My husband and I arrived on a Wednesday evening, upon check-in, we were advised that the hotel's system did not have us on file for check-in until the following day. They did manage to find us a room about an hour later (11pm), but the room had two separate beds. Because this was our first trip away together, alone without baby, we were obviously hoping to share a bed ;). The maid did a lovely job making up the beds side-by-side to create a large bed, so it ended up being OK. The following morning they offered to move us, but we were not interested in packing back up, just to move across the hall and the set-up did not really bother us at all. I would have liked for the resort to have compensated us somehow for this oversight and truly thought that we would have at most received an apology, but we are pretty easy going and made the best of it. The second and final complaint is with regards to the set-up of the beach. For whatever reason, you are NOT allowed to move the chairs past a certain point on the sand. My husband and I like to sit as close to the water as possible and like to move our chairs to face the sun. If you go even a few inches over the "line", the security guards are immediately over telling you that you need to return your chair back to the original position. You are also NOT allowed to place your towels on the sand passed this invisible line. I have never been on a beach with these rules and found it to be a little annoying. Now for the good points and there are SOOO many. The resort is beautiful and very well kept, the staff work 24 hours and it most certainly shows! The food was amazing (breakfast, lunch, dinner and a la cartes). The beach was beautiful. Some areas in the water were a little rocky, but truly unnoticeable. My husband and I enjoyed several activities during our stay. We tried the sea-do located on the main beach, lots of fun. Just be sure to get a life jacket that does not have the foam popping out the top. We went on the Coba Tour which included a trip to the Mayan Ruins, Swimming in a REALLY COOL cave and an authentic Mayan lunch (DELICIOUS), followed by a visit to a Mayan community. This tour was honestly amazing and our tour guide Tomas was incredible. My husband and I have not stopped saying " I need to make a wish". Although this tour is a little far, I would highly recommend it. We spent a day at Mammita's Beach in Playa Del Carmen, which I also highly recommend. This beach is STUNNING with lots of beautiful people. For $90 US. We rented chairs (water front) and were provided with unlimited food, drink and seats all day long! We took a trip in to Playa Del Carmen one evening for dinner and dined at the Blue Lobster. Delicious seafood, reasonably prices and AMAZING atmosphere. Playa Del Carmen is a beautiful place to visit by day for the beach and shops and by night for the restaurants and night life. The shows at night were actually great! We looked forward to them most nights, and I can honestly say that we don't generally look forward to the shows when we stay at resorts. The Mexican market on Thursday nights is really neat and a great sight. Although the question of " Would you like a massage" can get a little old every time you enter the beach, JUST SAY YES! We finally decided to take them up on the offer on our last day, and it was the most relaxing and amazing experience. We only wish we had said yes sooner, as we would probably have done it more. The spa was tranquil and beautiful and the staff were lovely. The Gym was clean and cool and is very well equipped for those who wish to continue with their fitness regime whilst on vacation. Last but not least, although the size of this resort may look intimidating, it is actually not bad at all. We never took the shuttle once and quite enjoyed the exercise. I will definitely be returning to this resort in the future, as I really think that they have it all whether you are single, couple, or family!

Room Tip: We were in the 7000 which is a perfect distance between the beach and the lobby. There are no ocean...
5 Thank LRTToronto
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear LRTToronto

We are grateful for your positive review published on TripAdvisor, It is really important to us to receive positive comment as yours, and we are glad to know that we exceeded your expectations for most of our facilities and services during your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

Best Regards,
community.riviera@princess-hotels.com
Independence, Ohio
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just returned from The Grand Riviera Princess. This was our second time staying in the Yucatan area of the resort. Upon arrival, everyone was extremely helpful as usual. However, problems began when we were assigned our six suites. The travelers assigned to the rooms did not match who was actually staying in that room. Each attempt to straighten out the names of the actual travelers staying in a particular room failed. The concierge told us to go to the front desk, the front desk told us not to worry, as it doesn't matter. We had some issues this year that we never would have expected because of our top notch service the previous year. This year the air conditioning was not working in 3 of the 6 rooms. Hotel maintenance was not able to repair the air conditioners, and after a few days, the front desk switched 2 of the 3 rooms. However, 1 couple needed to endure the warmer temperatures in their suite all week. The new construction next to the Yucatan area was loud every morning and throughout the day. Room keys were not properly keyed for one couple. One couple forgot to leave a tip for housekeeping and their beds were not made up! We were unable to change our dinner reservations because we were told that the restaurants were all full, however, we always noted many empty seats in all restaurants! The Gala Banquet had a very nice atmosphere with live music, but the food was no big deal - average at best. We only had one day where the bar service on the beach was of "platinum" quality, most other times, we had to go up to the bar. We were surprised that the Yucatan pool area was not cleaned daily. Empty cups and food items left from the day before where scattered around much into the afternoon of the following day! We paid extra this year to get the same platinum service we had last year, and the service was good -but definitely not excellent! One waitress, when asked for an ashtray, actually told the guest, "go get it yourself at the bar"! The final straw came when we spent a total of 1.5 hours over two days, talking to multiple people in an attempt to pay for 2 massages performed the day before . We were assured that the front desk manager, Ceasar S., with much apologies, was taking care of giving us a 50% discount on those massages because of the many difficulties we experienced. We checked back twice over the next two days, to see if the computer was updated, but it never was. Upon final check-out, we went to square up the bill and were told that, in fact, we had no charges at all! We asked the front desk clerk to check all 6 rooms associated with our party. We were assured that there were no outstanding spa charges on any bills. We felt that, possibly, the hotel decided to give us complimentary massages, in exchange for all of our difficulties. Not a chance! We got home and found out that the massages were, in fact, charged to the suites of our other travel companions who left later than we did! Not only that, but they were charged the FULL-PRICE. They were not permitted to check-out until they paid for the massages received by us! Please understand that Riviera Maya is paradise, so we made the best of everything including two great evenings in Playa Del Carmen,

Room Tip: Suites in the last building of the Yucatan area are very warm, air conditioning does not work! Also...
3 Thank theavsecs
Dear theavsecs,

We regret to hear that your stay with us was not up what you expected; therefore we would like to extend our apologies if the communication did not flow as expected as well as for any inconvenience you may have endured while on site. The opinion of our guests is of the utmost assistance to us for the fact that we can detect rooms for improvement and can therefore enable us to take the appropriate measures to improve our product as well as the quality of our services.

We truly regret and apologize for the impression you may have received due to the attitude of some of our staff it is not in anyway the image that we want to project. We neither encourage nor accept any unfair or preferential treatment; all of our guests deserve to be attended with respect and courtesy. Even though I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality of our services.

We extend our sincerest apologies and we hope that these situations does not deter you from give us an opportunity to turn things around in the future. We will be attentive to ensure a pleasant and uneventful stay.

Best Regards.
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We travelled here with a group of 19 people for a wedding in November. The resort is beautiful and we were more than happy with our rooms. The food was okay. The buffets were average. The A La Carte restaurants were better food than the buffets.

The resort itself is really big. There was a lot of walking and not much beachfront for the size of the resort. We paid extra and sat in the section with drink service just to find seats together.

My biggest problem with the resort were the drinks. I do not like to drink all day however when I do have a drink or two in the evenings, I hate for them to be watered down. The wine and canned beer even were below average. For the price we paid in November at this resort! I would have expected much better drinks.

We had a swim up room that was nice and we used it a fair bit.

Overall I would rate this resort as average (3) and a little overpriced for the food and drink quality that we got.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nmn2000
Dear Nmn2000,
We want to thank you for share your opinion, we always love to hear what our guests have to tell about our services.

Your comments and suggestions are always taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our service and facilities; it also helps us know if we are on the right path in our efforts to provide outstanding customer service.

However you can be certain that after 8 months of your last visit, we have improved our service.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all your inconveniences and thank you for choosing as your vacation destination and hope to have the pleasure to serve you again in the near future.

Best Regards,
NB Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Ok. Where to start. Let's start with the pros. The resort is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and very well kept. It's big though, expect a lot of walking, but that's OK, you're on vacation, remember?. The restaurants look nice, are clean, and are well decorated and the ''a la carte'' restaurants have great food and great service. The concierge service is friendly and helpful, so is the front desk. The fridge in the room was filled every day as expected and the room was done everyday (good job Lucio!). The drinks at the bars were good although no Corona is available on the resort! I thought it was odd since I was looking forward to having Corona in Mexico! They have Sol which is not bad but not a Corona, in my opinion. The entertainment team was excellent! Boy did they ever try their best to help us enjoy those rainy days! The shows were good and the daily games at the pool and on the beach were fun and diverse. The pools were nice and clean and well maintained. Now, here's where it gets complicated; the cons. First, I would advise against going in the summer period... If you do, expect rain. It's their rain season over there and even though we took a chance, we had 3 full days of non-stop rain, 2 cloudy days with occasional showers and 2 sunny days for a total trip of 7 days. Obviously, we were somewhat disappointed but we take the blame for that one; we chose to go in the rain season and it is what it is. Also, this resort has signs that say ''Wildlife conservation area''; expect to see animals, plenty of them, lizards, geckos, coaties and cats (of all things), and lots of them. We didn't mind this much since we like animals but I know people who are not fond of cats or lizards and if that's your case, avoid this resort because you won't be able to avoid the animals once you're there! The room: It started out with a defective A/C and bugs. They did come and fix the A/C and they sprayed the room for bugs and so both these problem went away for the rest of the week. The furniture was in bad shape, the TV unit where the fridge was had so much damaged the doors on it were all crooked and operated all wrong... silly if you ask me, especially since the person filling the fridge sees it and has the door falling apart in his hands every single day. You couldn't get into the fridge without having the furniture door fall apart on you! The beach: disappointing, very disappointing. It's crowded, the lounge chairs are all laid out side by side in rows like lounge chairs would on a plane, for instance! I personally don't like being as crowed on the beach as I was on the plane! The water was brown and had a sulfur smell, lots of algae and debris. Go see Google satellite image, you'll clearly see the brown water and check my pictures, it matches. On the plane back, we asked people who stayed at other resorts thinking it might have been because of all the rain but no, it was just at this resort. We didn't swim in the sea, it simply wasn't very attractive since you couldn't even see your feet through the beach water. The food: terrible at the buffets, very good at the ''a la carte'' restaurants. At the buffet, when I say terrible, I mean it, and I'm not a picky eater, I like to try new things. There was a good variety but it was more or less the same every night. The worst part is the meat, it was really badly prepared, expect fat, bones, cartilages, anything! I even found a chicken neck in a quesadilla! OMG! Yes, a whole chicken neck! Gross! Quesadillas are usually a mix of ingredients in a tortilla and you just sink your teeth into it! Imagine my surprise! We avoided food with pre-prepared meats all together. The meat you could get grilled in front of you was fine but not the food with meat in it. That issue was the case with all the meats: poultry, veal, beef, pork, etc. Furthermore, the service at the buffets was terrible, the staff was unwelcoming and unfriendly (except for one waiter at the Riviera Buffet... his name escapes my mind right now). We felt like they were fed up with tourists! For real, that's what it felt like and we're good tippers, no reason for the attitude! For instance, we have a 2 hours time shift with Mexico so we would get hungry between the meals. To remedial this, my wife would bring a couple of bananas and croissants after breakfast to help us bridge the gap. Well, a supervisor (Patricia) stopped her one time and gave her a ripping!! She said we needed to pay for room service to get food between the meals! Imagine being on vacation for a relaxing time and getting ripped by a member of the resort staff for bringing a snack! We paid for all inclusive, we expect all inclusive! Not impressed! Anyway, that pretty much sums up our trip and it's safe to say, we would not recommend this resort to our friends and relatives. We hope this review will help you!

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are nice and convenient if you like swimming in the pools.
3 Thank Wheelman770
Dear Wheelman770,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay with us. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointments.

All the feedback you mentioned to us is very important to know to still improving our service, we'll share your kindly comment with all our staff and different departments. We really appreciate your positive critique and absolutely we'll attend those very important comments you described - our main goal is exceeded our guests satisfaction, my apologies if we did not exceeded yours at 100%.

If you allow me I would like to explain about the smell which you will have noticed at certain times of the day, is naturally produced by the growth of green algae on the surface of the water. At the end of its natural cycle, the process of algae decomposition begins which produces an unpleasant smell, This smell is not the result of any contamination but rather the result of any entirely natural and organic process.

Now about the color of the sea, allow me inform you that the red mangrove that we have in great quantity in our property, surround part of our beach is contained by a flood area, so when it rains, the water level quickly increases, getting a brown-red color, due to the Stannic Acid contained in the mangrove and through a natural drainage gets to the ocean providing vital substances with its respective environmental benefits.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Best regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 June 2014

despite two bad days of weather this was the best vacation i have ever had. all the way from check in to check out we were treated like royalty. first things first if you can you should go platinum we had no wait at check in and our room was ready when we got there. we got to our room in the Villa Laguna section rm 9107 a second floor room with a view of the Villa Laguna pool, as soon as we went inside i knew this was going to be something special, we had a large room with a king bed a stocked fridge and three bottles of liqour awaited us as i moved about the room i noticed a large jacuzzi tub and a walk in semi outdoor shower with a rain shower head ( my favorite part of the room). the room just smelled clean and in my opinion proved to be immaculate. by the way if this property is rated # 91 by trip advisor i can only imagine what # 1 - 90 look like.
after we unpacked we went to lunch in the main buffet all the selections were good not exceptional but solid we had lunch and breakfast in the buffet all week after lunch we went to the pool and even though it was raining we had a drink and met the pool concierge to make our dinner reservations for the week to our surprise they had already made reservations for us for the first three nights and we completed the week with more choices we ate at the mexican ,french,asian and the steak house all were again solid.
What made my vacation so great was the top notch service my wife and i received at the Villa Laguna pool Yara was our waitress and i honestly can't remember not seeing a smile on her face she was the most pleasant person i have ever dealt with on vacation and she always knew what we were drinking and we rarely had to ask for a drink. we would go back to this property just to see her again. every night after dinner we would go to the lobby bar for a drink and there we were served by guadelupe she was also very pleasant and made it worth going on this trip.
My only complaint about this property and you can't blame them was a sub par beach it is beautiful from afar but sooooo rocky it was hard to stay in the water. All in all we loved this place and i can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Villa Laguna Suites....need i say more!!
1 Thank marco7724
Dear marco7724,

Thank you very much for choosing Grand Sunset Princess as your holiday destination. It was an honor for us to assist you and be part of your relaxing vacation.

It will be a pleasure to welcoming you and make your stay an unforgettable experience in Playa del Carmen.

Best regards,
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,662 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,508 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,112 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!