“Very big hotel, Amazing beach and Restos”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Very big hotel, Amazing beach and Restos”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I got back from Grand Sunset Princess on saturday august 30th 2014. I can't stop remembering my beautiful stay there. I feel so relaxed, happy and tanned ! ;)
OK so for this review I want to mention we were a group of 8 people of 23yrs-old. I traveled with my boyfriend, another couple and boy friends we have in commun. We had the Junior DELUXE suite which includes a jacuzzi in the bathroom and a view to the main pool. The room was very spacious, beautiful but missed many little things. For exemple, no alarm clock are available in any of the rooms. I had to use my cellphone eachtime to know the time and to set an alarm when I needed to wake up. No kleenex tissue box at all (the A/C makes me sneeze so I use a Kleenex box per night ...but there are no tissues so I had to get the paper towel from the bathroom). These are small details, but I felt like there were missing.

The resort is very large so you would be better to get a room in between the lobby and the beach, it minimizes the walk. I read a few comments saying its 20 minutes walk depending where you are located, but I think 20 minutes is if you are a VERYYY slow walker. I would say 10 minutes max, and i didnt mind the mind bcz it burned the extra calories we take on holiday ;)

Talking about eating...the food at the restaurants is AMZING!!!! We had the chinese food, the japanese cooking show, the fondue, the steak house and the international resto called "Le Fleur" all where excellent ! However, the food at the buffet is not very good...not many selection . I had trouble deciding what to eat for breakfast. There are custom made omelettes, but the line up is pretty long so I mostly sticked to oatmeal and pancakes for breakfast...

The beach is INCREDIBLE! I loved it! White sand and clear water. There is a snack bar next to the pool which have hot dog, hamburger and nachos. It fills up a little whole when you hungry.

One thing that disapointed me very much...is that there is no WIFI! Living with my cellphone almost 24/7 i found it hard to believe... You can pay for it I think its 70 USD for the week. We didnt buy internet and i lived without internet for a week...which wasnt too bad in the end ;) But if you buy an excursion with your travel agent, you have access to their computers. They are pretty slow but do the job if you only need to send a message to your familly saying you got there safely.

I think i said enough now :P Overall was amazing vacation, very nice resort, a little too big for me and the ambiance was not party like we would have liked (being a group of 8). A few things missing but the delciious food and the goergeous beach compensated it all :)

Room Tip: Rooms at the middle would allow you to be at equal distance from the lobby to the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sara2013mtl
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 23 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for trusting in Grand Sunset Princess for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay. For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. We are glad to know that you have been able to enjoy your stay with us and have a memorable experience due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and our "Incredible Beach".

We are so looking forward to welcome you back soon in Grand Sunset Princess as you second home.

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,352)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

This just maybe a big resort but there is nothing special about it at all. Once I arrive withy family the rooms that we booked was switched by the front desk to accommodate someone else and the new rooms they gave us were dirty. No one in the front desk let alone the hotel wanted to man up and say sorry. The hotel took 2 hrs to give us a new room. The food was repetitive and nothing to really do at the resort besides everyone in the world trying to selling you something every 2 mins walking around the resort. Disappointed. Go somewhere else.

Stayed August 2014
9 Thank Marcus P
Dear Marcus,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess.

I would like to apologize for the unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your stay with us. We genuinely apologize for falling short of your expectations.

We hope you give us another chance to have you as a guest in our hotel.

Best Regards,
North Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I was hesitant to travel to Mexico based on my last experience in 2007. I was convinced to travel and stay at this resort. I'm so glad I did! It was one of the most fun trips I've taken, except for the front desk staff, concierge, and taxis trying to swindle you.

Many other reviewers have knocked the buffet style restaurants, but their opinions are baseless. The buffets are set up to accommodate most guests. Food choices vary from traditional fare to Asian, Italian, and American. The disappointing part is having to make reservations for the themed restaurants: you have to show up daily by 11:00 am to make reservations two days in advance. Don't waste you time with Las Vacas- fatty beef, bland dishes. Do go to Las Olas, Hacienda, and Miso.

Get a massage on the beach $40-$50 depending on your negotiating skills.

Overall, this place was great. Free-flowing beer everywhere, beach volleyball, nightly entertainment, and nightclub, make this resort quite a value.

You don't have to leave the resort unless you're the adventurous type. If so, rent a car and head to the ruins. Chichen Itza is well worth the day trip.

Room Tip: Don't lose your key card - $10 charge to replace and they run out of cards fast Don't get s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank that1dude
Dear that1dude,

Thank you very much for your review we do appreciate you taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay with us.

We apologize for some of the issues that you mentioned. We will take into consideration all of your constructive comments and we hope that soon we will be honored with your visit to show you our improvements.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My daughter and I have just returned from this hotel having travelled there independently.

On arrival we were greeted by a lovely man who went through everything with us and as a result of his excellent advise we upgraded to platinum level. This gave us a much better room, use of our own private pool which we always got seats at and was never busy, our own private beach area, a fantastic room with two jacuzzi baths and wifi.

The staff were all fantastic and really helpful. The food was for the most part good although we did leave the Mexican restaurant half way through the meal because we were not impressed with the food and the service was so slow

We did three trips using BD travel who are based in the hotel. There were brilliant from the start ... From the guy we booked them with who was so helpful and the trips themselves. Very well organised good guides and well worth the money. The highlight one was visiting the underground caves which was awe inspiring

There were a few things that we were not happy with. As platinum guests you get to use one of the two restaurants that there would normally be a charge for for free. We were unable to do this as they were fully booked all the time we were there although we did all our reservations as soon as we arrived

The concierge in our area gave us very little information about all the extras we got for upgrading and in the end we had to ask. We arrived on Sunday and didn't get our welcome gift or the free bottles of spirit till Wednesday.

I had a hot stones massage in the spa and can honestly say it's the worst one I've ever had. The stones that she used and she didn't use them much were cold and there was much massaging .. It was very limp and half hearted. The massage was expensive so beware don't waste your money better off trying the ones on the beach which are so much cheaper.

It was a very nice hotel clean and helpful staff mainly and we enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: Check about upgrading when you arrive we got an excellent deal
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Viv1954
Dear Viv1954,

Allow me to express my thankfulness to you and your family for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. At Grand Sunset Princess one of our main priorities is to ensure our guest' satisfaction and expectation. I am glad to know that our staff positively contributed into your resort experience.

Certainly I will share your comments with our Concierge Manager to take action on the matter and provide a better experience.

Once more thank you so much for having selecting our resort and we really hope to have you at our property in your future vacations.

Best regards,
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This was my first time to Cancun and we had a very bad experience at this property. When we got to Grand Sunset Princess we had asked to be upgraded to the Platinum suite and we paid extra for that however were very disappointed with the room it was very dark and gloomy and we had to walk to the main lobby to get the room changed which was still not what we expected but we did not have the energy or time to change it again. We were told that the Platinum suite has a personal concierge which is a joke because every time we needed to speak to them there was a line and we did not want to wait to speak to them. When we wanted the Concierge to make reservation for Dinner we were told that all the restaurants were full and we had to eat at the buffet and after arguing for almost 30 minutes he finally made the reservation. The Service is very poor all over the resort. The food was bellow average. I was also disappointed with BD travels their Service was horrible if you have to make arrangements for any excursions then I would suggest not to go with BD travels. The resort is nice but poor service I will not not be back at this resort.

Room Tip: Do not choose the Grand Sunset Princess Resort there are better service resort out there.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Shirin P
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Shirin,

First of all we thank you for choosing the Grand Sunset Princess for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the online community.

We want you to know, that your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.

We deeply regret the misperception you may have about us since it not our intention makes our guests feel uncomfortable when our top priority is their satisfaction. We hope that despite of this occurrence, you will consider visit us choosing us again when planning future travel to the Riviera Maya

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This was our second time at this hotel and will not be our last!! The hotel is amazing and the staff really do make it.
We didn't tip everytime we were bought drinks, just a couple of times or at the end of the night but we were treated with so much more respect than people who just threw the odd dollar and demanded a drink! This is what you see constantly and I guarantee it will be those people who post the negative reviews!
The rooms are lovely, personally I wouldn't bother getting a standard room because we have always had swim out which is well worth the extra money. I would say it is better than platinum as most of the time waiters will give you premium drinks! You can also get free wifi in several spots of the hotel, I recommend the riveria side, the third statue on the right as you walking from the lobby.
Food is also what you make of it, if you eat lobster and steak every night then you won't be satisfied but we have always been happy with the food. Al a cartes are a must. We never had to queue and got a reservation every night but 2 and we stayed for 15 nights!!
If you are a couple please go to the chill out!! We went on our last night, we got there at 6.30- was perfect, we had a private gazebo on the beach, candles, welcome drink and the best waiter, Carlos!! We asked him to take a photo of us and he pretty much gave us a photoshoot! He was great!!! The service was out of this world, he was so kind and everytime we said thank you he thanked us more. The food was outstanding, 7 courses each and 4 drinks came to around £70! Couldn't go wrong it was our favourite night. Another great night was the reggae band 'Real Heat' they were first class and really entertained.
Fridge is always stocked up daily, if you are in when the guy comes around, ask for extra or just what you want and give him a tip and you'll get anything!
The only thing I would say is the room service needs a little work. I don't like my stuff being touched anyway so I leave as little out as possible but everyday my stuff was moved about or little things like hair ties and pins had been chucked and random things had been cleaned not the essentials like the floors.
The staff throughout he hotel are great. If you treat them with respect, you get it back a thousand times over and that is what most people forget. English/American is not Mexicos first language and it really upset us when others were rude when they didn't fully understand.
The Bd travel guys are great too!! We booked whale sharks and tulum/akulmal through them and got the best deal. Anytime we had a question they always helped. I also left my room card on the coach and they made sure it was returned to us (May have taken a while but still they made the effort) the hotel is COVERED in marble. Please try not to were stilettos, go for wedges, much more stable!!
Another con is the location, not the prettiest when you are out of the hotel but when you enter the complex you realise how safe it is. I would definitely always book sunset.
We are already looking for dates next year.
There is nothing that we can really fault about this hotel and for the money it really makes it worth it. It you go on any tours you will see how much security the hotel has compared to others and see how much nicer the whole place is!!
Love Mexico and we won't be going anywhere else but here for a longggg time!!

Thank you grand sunset!!!

• Stayed July 2014
10 Thank LGGPxx
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are very proud of the hotel and we work very hard to ensure each guest receives and exceptional experience such as yours. Thank you, again, and we look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Best Regards,
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We found this to be a really beautiful property, visually, but lacking in Mexican character. We could have been in any tropical country. Our room was lovely, and we particularly found the shower to be above average in comparison to other resorts (water temp and pressure, as well as the rainfall head with handheld) and the balcony was much larger than other resorts we've been too. That said, we found it much more challenging to find chairs with any shade, particularly at the pools, and were very disappointed by the service in bars, on the beach and at restaurants (especially the a la cartes) and the food quality and selection. There really weren't any extreme bad experiences, but nor were there any wow! moments. We would return only if the price point was pretty much unbeatable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PEIsland_Gamz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your share your opinion with us and the community of TripAdvisor. We deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations during your last stay at our resort. We take all feedback very seriously, as it is only through the lens of our customer are we able to critique and further improve the overall operation of the resort. We always try our best to accommodate all of our guest’s needs.

We apologize and hope you’ll give us another opportunity to restore your faith and confidence in us when you return to the Riviera Maya area.

Warm regards,
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,659 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,507 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,109 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!