Nueva Vida de Ramiro
US$410
US$365
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Posada 06 Tulum(Tulum)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$89
US$450
US$403
Hotels.com
La Posada Del Sol(Tulum)(Great Value!)
US$143
Hotels.com
US$227
US$184
Travelocity
All reviewscasa bananala zebrabreakfast deliveredocean breezeevery morningcontinental breakfastbanana breadbeach bedsbeach serviceeco lodgehanging bedssalt watertulum beachfresh fruitoutdoor showerbeachfront bungalowour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I realized that I have not written a review of this particular lodging in Tulum because I must have blocked it from my mind...it's been almost a year and I think I can be more objective about the service and the other guests who made it unpleasant enough that we barely sunbathed on the property (beautiful).

We arrived from Mexico City (amazing) and was looking forward to continuing our holiday. While lunching in Playa del Carmen (be careful about parking) our rental car was broken into and all of our luggage was stolen. It wasn't the best start but we were determined to continue on to Nueva Vida de Ramiro thinking they would at least be sympathetic and offer some comfort unlike the police. I was wrong. Upon checking in, the front desk receptionist barely greeted us and just stared blankly so we thought it was a language barrier. He then asked us to pay for the remaining balance and handed over our key. I asked if they had an extra charger for our phones (which we had on us thank goodness) and where we can buy basic clothes, toiletry, etc. to which he replied that there was a market that we had passed on our way in.

It may seem minor but our encounter with his dismissive attitude soured the rest of our stay at the hotel and Tulum (overall, we had a fantastic time exploring Valladolid, cenotes, and ruins). The guests were a mix of mainly American families and couples who seemed to have left their manners at home. After the isolated beaches of Brazil, I was hoping that we would have the beach to ourselves but Tulum wasn't as relaxing as I'd hope. It seems the Cancun crowd may be making its way over.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chhayc
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We had an amazing stay over 3 days for our wedding. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful to us (and our family/friends). We arranged our wedding ceremony on the beach, just in front of room #15. We then had our dinner and dancing under room #15. It worked out perfectly! We couldn't be more happy with the location at NVR. The beach is wonderful. Every room has a parking spot. Breakfast is amazing at Casa Banana. It's true that you don't get much food (coffee, juice, bread, and fresh fruit) but it is all very flavorful. We did not experience anything negative about NVR. We will be back again!

Room Tip: Room #15 (honeymoon suite) is amazing for a romantic getaway. Room #13 is great for hanging out on the large patio.
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We chose this property for its central location, good mentions in the NY Times, and reasonable rates for a jungle view room. We were very satisfied with the hotel. The standalone bungalow provided privacy, enough space for us and our luggage, and a very short walk to the beach on property, and though our room was close to the road, that was fine, since we always had the fan on at night anyway. Noise wasn't an issue. Another issue with beach view rooms (on our last visit to Tulum we stayed in a bungalow on the beach) is the humidity and the dampness that pervades all of your clothing and luggage; that was less of an issue farther from the water.

The beach beds/chairs for all guests were lovely, and we made full use of the beach and the common area with internet.

Finally, the restaurant (Casa Banana) is one of our favorites in all of Tulum. The food is phenomenally good, Caribbean. We could have eaten all our meals there.

We would definitely recommend this place and stay here again.

My one issue with all Tulum hotels is the saltwater shower; it does not work with my naturally curly, tangly hair, but I know to expect it now and go for messy hair.

Room Tip: There are a range of rooms depending on your budget and your preferences. We liked the Ambar room with the jungle view, but the others were private and nice too.
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We arrived in Tulum after 4 nights in Oaxaca and 2 nights in Akumal. Driving into Playa Tulum was a different experience. I had expected an open road with long driveways into the different hotels. Instead the hotel entrances are crowded up against the road. I was a little confused about parking, the the staff outside the hotel quickly showed us the way. Check in was a little slow. We were the only ones in the lobby and the guy checking us in brought us a nice fruit drink. That was good, but the rest of the process wasn't ideal. I was initially put off about having to pay $1 for extra bottles of water (but that was only because the two places we had stayed prior to NVR had provided it for free) and the guy's friendliness seemed superficial. I should note that the other staff (always extremely friendly) provided it to us for free...we tried to pay and the waved us off.

The room (Deseo Corazon) was really nice. We spent time in the hammock (relaxing) and in the hanging (covered) bed down the the beach (mesmerizing). Just opening the doors in the morning was just amazing - wind blowing into the room and ruffling the sheets and the mosquito net that drapes the bed. Very romantic.

The beach is beautiful and we found the water perfect for swimming (not snorkeling). Very few rocks and the waves were not too strong and allowed swimming parallel to the beach.

Security was good (I was asked about my room more than once when entering the property at different times).

Other notes. I personally would not stay in a room that was away from the beach. The sea breeze is strong, but fades almost immediately once you enter the jungle. During the day is was extremely hot away from the beach (but very pleasant on the beach and in our room). My impression was that the beaches starting at the El Pez and going north were more rocky.

Room Tip: I would avoid staying in rooms that were not on the beach (at this or other Tulum hotels). In the Corazon suites, the sea breeze was strong and pleasant, but twenty feet inland the breeze was much less and there were more bugs and intense humid heat (during the day).
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Just back from a week long stay at Nueva Vida de Ramiro. Overall, the place is perfect. Beautiful private beach with 24-hour security and a lifeguard during the day, the only place we noticed to have both. The beach itself was the most spacious and well-kept compared to other accommodations along the water. I also think NVR supplies some of the best beach furniture compared to other hotels . . comfy chairs, beds, hammocks, umbrellas. The bungalows are tucked away in the "jungle" and along the beach, all very private. Guests only need to follow a sand path to the beach, perfect. I liked that as a guest you didn't feel cramped, always bumping into other guests or forced to sit next to them on the beach. It's really a magical place in that regard, allowing you to disconnect from it all. The complimentary continental breakfast is very tasty consisting of fresh fruit, warm bread with butter and jam, fresh juice, coffee and tea.

Now, a few caveats. First, the breakfast. NVR guests have the option of breakfast in the bungalow, or across the street at Casa Banana. While the continental breakfast is yummy the lack of a protein is a problem, the breakfast is not very filling and the addition of yogurt and granola or maybe some sliced meats would be a nice improvement. Guests can order a breakfast entree, but of the ones I tried I wasn't impressed and again a continental breakfast typically consists of just a little more food. I wasn't sure if it was okay to ask for more fruit and bread. It appeared every table got the same amount, whether two people or four people. While the Casa Banana staff is friendly enough, service is VERY slow. Couldn't really figure out why as the majority of customers have the continental breakfast which only requires placing two trays of food on a table. Was nearly impossible to get a coffee refill or a check to sign without waiting for 15 minutes.

Now, the bungalow. We stayed in #13, Casa Espiritu Maya, which was the only bungalow available during our stay for our party of three. Definitely wouldn't have been our first choice for a number of reasons, but we opted to book Espiritu anyway because we were set on NVR after reading such wonderful reviews. Espiritu is VERY rustic. Very traditional, as the description indicates. The rooms are nothing like most of the rooms pictured in descriptions of the other bungalows. This isn't meant to be a negative, but I think it's important for future guests to be aware of. For example, if you wake up in the middle of the night and need to use the bathroom you need to find a flashlight, navigate the stairs and make your way to the separate building. Again, not meant to be a negative, but I don't think it's for everyone. The main bedroom upstairs is fine, sparse, but all you need is a bed on vacation. Was really nice to wake up under the mosquito netting to the sun coming in. Would be nice to have screens on the windows, if only to avoid letting bugs in all night (screens are on the downstairs windows). Also, a few more hooks & hangers for clothes would be a great improvement and perhaps a full-length mirror (or any mirror for that matter). The tiny mirror in the bathroom just isn't enough, and is hung rather low, requiring anyone over 5'5 to hunch over to actually use the mirror. The balcony with seating for 6 and the 2 hammocks is amazing. The balcony itself is the best part of the bungalow, in general the bungalow has a lot of outdoor space, which is nice.

Now, the lower level, kitchen & bath. The sleeping area is again sparse and rather dark. Because it's so close to the ground it doesn't have what I'd call a musty smell, but maybe a moist smell after it rains. Not sure if I'd love spending a week sleeping in the main area, this space is probably better suited for older children, not necessarily a couple looking for a romantic beach vacation, or maybe a group of (non-picky) friends. I wonder if it's possible to liven up the space so it feels more cheerful. The kitchen, in a separate building, is basic (medium sized fridge, gas stovetop, sink, water for cooking & drinking, table, chairs); good for basic cooking, not necessarily gourmet meals. The bathroom as I mentioned earlier is in a separate building and appointed for only basic needs (don't bother to bring a hairdryer, curling iron or anything else for that matter).

Last, location. I personally loved the location, but it is about 2 miles or so from the main area where most of the restaurants and shops are located. Simple, Casa Banana and Le Zebra just down the road are all good, so it's not lacking dining alternatives within close proximity, but it is a little "out of the way," for lack of a better word. That said, taxis & bikes are plentiful and the walk really isn't that bad.

My comments are only meant to give an accurate description so future guests understand that #13 may be better suited for a family with older children, a group of non-picky friends, siblings, girlfriend getaway (non-high maintenance types). I would definitely go back to NVR and had a great time, but would stay in a different bungalow only because I think I've experienced the rustic beach bungalow, and while I had a great trip, I think I want just a little more in an accommodation, doesn't have to be a luxury accommodation, but maybe the bathroom a little closer to the bedroom.

Room Tip: #13 better suited for families, girlfriend getaway. Basically non-high maintenance types. Not so much honeymooners, romance seekers.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank uwred1
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear unwed1:

Your review has been most helpful, not only for us but surely for other readers as well. Thanks to it we have already sent an order for two full body mirrors for the room with that rustic look you have mentioned and are looking into adding some bright colors to contrast the bare wood. We take pride in the fact that we can offer a variety of styles within our rooms, and rustic is definitely one of them, but improvements can absolutely be made within each style. Although the lack of outlets in the bathroom is present in the rooms because of eco-friendly, not only rustic reasons, we are solar powered and dryers and irons consume a lot of energy, and will most probably empty the energy supplies generated during the day.
In regards to the breakfast we have already partnered with a restaurant in town which is famous for their egg based Azteca and Mayan Breakfast, so you can also opt for a typical mexican flavor with lots of protein indeed in Tulum downtown at no extra cost.
If you should decide to come back, do not hesitate on contacting us to recommend the best bungalow based on your needs.