“Rustic and relaxing”

Ranked #13 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
San Diego, CA
“Rustic and relaxing”
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I have to admit we were a little taken aback at first, the room was Ola, it was all wood with wood shutter-type windows, and none of were used to staying on the breach in a tropical climate- it was damp inside and warm, but the location was absolutely stunning. The staff were so sweet. Casa Banana serves the best Chiapas coffee and their mole is delicious, as are their drinks and smoothies. Zog is the coolest dog- tell him hi for me.
I may need a/c next time I visit, but I'm a wimp. The beach could not be beat. We attended a wedding next door at La Zebra and we just walked down the beach about 50 yards to get there. When we left they were building a turtle habitat on the beach- so cool. I miss Tulum and La Nueva Vida already.

• Liked — location and staff
3 Thank superdeejayanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
Missouri
Reviewed 2 June 2008

The price was a little high for us but it was well worth it! The beach was amazing. The staff very nice and helpful. The food at the resturant was not great but good. We stayed in Ola first, which i have to say was great but a little like camping for me. Sand was everywhere but thats to be expected! There was constant breezes which kept it cool in the day. I have to say i never slept so good in my life. The sound of the waves i think is what made that possible. Then we stayed in Sueno Caribeno for 2 nights. This room was very nice and got ever so slightly warm in the afternoon. I did see 2 bugs in the room but they were dead and surprisingly those were the only ones i saw the 10 days i was in mexico. I love this place and have great memories because of it.

• Liked — The view of the beach!
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Element_7
Austin
Reviewed 26 May 2008

My review:
Our stay here for our anniversary could not have been better. We did have some issues with getting our reservation due to a slow response time to our initial emails, but once we made contact it was smooth sailing. We rented a car for the drive from Cancun and were happy we did. It made transportation very easy. We stayed in the Ocean front room named Alma del Mar and were closer to the water then any other resort we saw. The breeze coming off the water made candles a challenge, but we had electricity 24/7 which was unexpected. We had a 2nd entrance that walked from the bathroom to the beach which we used constantly. Our room was cleaned and swept daily which was needed for all the sand. The only thing I would have changed would be the fact they used a mix of salt and fresh water for the shower and bathroom. We ended up buying a cheap 10 liter water to rinse off after our showers, but that was just my aversion to so much salt.

Wife's review:
Once we made it to the hotel, everything fell into place. The hassle of choosing a hotel (thank you to TripAdvisor and to all those who wrote reviews), flying a non-major airline, and renting a car seemed like too much trouble than what it was worth - until we made it to the hotel. Hotel is actually an inappropriate word - this place consists of a handful of bungalows, each on stilts with thatched roofs. They are placed intermittently among an untouched forest that fronts the beach. When we first walked up, the "quiet room," which is an open air library type area, had a welcome sign with our name on it. The lady manning the front office (also made out of wood & thatch), was kind, and we talked to her about not paying for the previous night (we missed our flight and arrived a day late). There wasn't a way around it, and we knew the policy, so we still had to pay for the night we missed.

Our cabana was amazing. It sat right on the beach, a stone's throw from the tide. The deck was exactly as we had imagined; it was identical to the photos that are on the hotel's website. Two fabulous Adirondack chairs, one round table, and a hammock. The cabana is large and full of windows. All windows have wooden blinds that can flip open or closed. It was constantly windy, so even though the temperatures ran high, we didn't ever have a need for the ceiling fan in our room, let alone air conditioning. The bathroom had a separate shower area, with two shower heads, and a separate toilet area with running water and a door that closes. We were warned that we wouldn't have electricity all day, but lights were available all the time. The cabana doesn't have any electrical outlets; even the ones that do are not permitted for use. My husband was a little frustrated that the water for use in the bathroom (sink & shower) was not fresh, but somewhat brackish. He couldn't wash off the salt from the ocean. We bought a 10L jug of fresh water from a grocery store, and he used that occasionally.

The staff was always friendly; we had restaurant recommendations, a clean room every day, and help with directions when needed. The best day was when we took kiteboarding lessons - I would recommend doing this the first day you arrive so that you have the rest of your days there to go back and kiteboard. The best restaurant by far was next door to us, La Zebra.

I would love to go back, next time with a group of friends in an even larger cabana. Nueva Vida will always be special to me.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Salt Water Shower
4 Thank Serat808
Pardubice, Czech Republic
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We loved everything. And I mean everything.
Even if there was an AC, we would never use it anyway, since the breeze coming from the beach was so cool and refreshing. Definitely get one of those fresh squeezed juices from the restaurant belonging to the hotel, they are amazing! I treated myself with one every day. They even deliver to your hotel room and even beach. I was a bit worried about the salty water shower, as I have never experienced it. I actually ended up loving it, it felt really healthy and actually cleared out my skin. The stuff was very friendly, the grounds were amazingly clean and beautiful. We ended up extending our stay there, because there was simply no better place to go. We found paradise!

• Liked — empty beautiful beach
  • Disliked — couldn't afford to stay longer
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mlovestotravel
Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Great stay with a group of friends in April of 2008.

Check in was a breeze, staff was helpful and attentive - we didn't need any assistance but always someone available if we had. Parking spot available for each room.

The house had a well appointed kitchen, plenty of space for us and the bedrooms were comfortable and spacious. Remember to bring salt water soap as shower water is brackish - salt/fresh water mixed together.

Location is perfect - good stretch of beach, almost private as lot next door not developed. Casa Banana Restaurant acrosss the street, other resorts short walk down the beach/road for more options. We ended up eating in town a lot as was cheaper and food was a bit better.

Would return again and again.

• Liked — Size of resort, quiet and spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank ISA51
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 May 2008

This review is completely overdue- shame on me! I stayed at NVR last November and it was awesome!!!! From the moment we arrived we were ecstatic- the gorunds are gorgeous, the staff is so friendly and welcomming, and the beach bungalows are phenomenal. We stayed in the rustic Alma del Mar which was right on the beach. In fact, it was so close to the water we woke up with a damp mosquito net every morning. The room was simple and clean and exactly as it was described to me. And despite its rustic nature and papala roof- I never saw any critters (you would have to read my other reviews to appreciate this comment). Of course the salt water showers didnt go over well with my prego friend but since they were nice and hot they were fine with me. :) As far as the ocean noise the other guests have complained about- we LOVED it. So relaxing and soothing- so much more than the cheap sound machine we sleep with at home. :) The hammock on the front porch is heavenly both during the day and at night and having the beach so close to our front door was so nice. We were also lucky enough join the staff in assisting some of the baby turtles out to sea. The beach it totally private- no annoying loud people yelling or beach vendors harassing you to buy a bunch junk. Also a great location- very close to LaZebra which is a great bar/restaurant with great Salsa/ Mambo dancing.

The Casa Banana restaurant accross from the resort is wonderful and we ate there majority of the time. I loved everyhting I orderd- the guac (my favorite ever!) the soup, fish, shrimp, eggs with chaya in the morning, etc.... and the Chaya juice was great too- Thanks Ramiro for allowing me to try! The waitstaff is wonderful and hats off to the cook- he worked hard for us while we were there (Our party of 6 liked to eat and drink ALOT).

While you are there you must ask them about the meaning of the name of the resort, "Nueva Vida de Ramiro." It is truly a remarkable and motivating story of one mans dream to create something really amazing despite all odds against him- Thanks Ramiro for following your dreams, motivating others to do the same, and for creating such a beautiful and amazing place that we look forward to returning to very soon.

Best Regards,

Kristina and Chuck

• Liked — the people, the culture, the food, location, views, serenity,
  • Disliked — having to leave!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank KManthos
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We found out about Nueva Vida de Ramiro through Trip Advisor and are glad we did. Tulum has gotten so busy since my last trip 10 years ago, but this hotel, located towards the end of the hotels on the Boca Paila road towards the Sian Ka'an Biosphere, offers a quiet and relaxing beachfront experience. We stayed in Amor Eterno for 4 nights which is an open and airy cabana at the center of all the cabanas here and only steps from the ocean. I would stay here or in any of the others- they all look so nice.

The beach goes on forever in either direction offering long walks either way with not too many people especially if you head south. The lounge chairs and mattresses were comfy, but they could use more as we had a difficult time getting our own spot. We spent a lot of time in the evenings on our porch drinking mixed drinks delivered by Cabana Banana and were out and about snorkeling and other things during the day so it wasn't a major issue. If you're a sun-worshipper, it shouldn't be a problem to claim a beach spot in the late morning.
As for restaurants, we ate at La Zebra one night. Not that impressed other than their appetizer of mixed salsa's with chips. Food was just okay. We also didn't eat at Cabana Banana- although they're known for their coffee, we didn't like it (the mixed drinks actually weren't that good either unfortunately). We were really interested in checking out the restaurants in town. El Mariachi was excellent for good Mexican food. Had excellent coffee, licuado's, fruit salads, sandwiches at a great little coffee shop in town (can't remember the name...they are known for their crepes).

Overall, I would definitely return to this hotel if we go back to Tulum. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Other hotels/
cabanas along the strip looked nice too, but when you find something good like Nueva Vida, you don't really need to look elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple