“Already Planning Our Return”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Already Planning Our Return”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My husband & I stayed here recently for 6 days after a terrible 5 days in Cancun and I wish we had stayed here our entire trip. The hotel and beach are absolutely beautiful! And the staff are so friendly and accommodating. Included in your stay are beach beds & chairs that were promptly set up every morning. No towel game here, plenty of spots on the beach to go around. We walked to each end of the beach and both agreed that NVR not only had the best location but beach as well. There is a security guard always near by making sure your belongings are ok. There is an included breakfast, but unfortunately it is provided by a restaurant not part of NVR so the service is a bit hit or miss. This same restaurant is the one that provides beach service, but of the 6 days we were there, only 1 time were we asked if we needed anything. No biggie though, as we went to the market down the street prior to our arrival to stock up on drinks and such since we had already read about the lack of beach service. In our room we had 1 outlet, a ceiling & floor fan, enough storage for our belongings and a beautiful beach view on our patio w/ chairs and a hammock. I mean really, what more could you possible need in paradise? We are so excited to have stayed here that we are already planning a return trip. See you soon NVR!

6 Thank Solful1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Last week, my wife and I returned to Nueva Vida de Ramiro for our second time. We stayed in #2 Horizonte Perdido and loved every minute of it!
The views were breathtaking and the constant breezes were rejuvenating. The balcony is spacious and could well accommodate 4 to 6 people.
The grounds of NVDR are beautifully kept and from the hotel lobby entrance, you instantly feel welcome. The staff is most friendly and helpful.
Casa Banana is a romantic Argentinian restaurant that specializes in grilled meats and fishes over an open wood barbeque. The have a great selection of wines which is a nice departure from the tequila and cervezas which were readily consumed throughout our days!
Breakfast(which can also be delivered to your cabana) is included in your room charge and consists of fresh squeezed juice, fresh fruit, bread baked in their wood burning oven and coffee.
The beach @NVDR is gorgeous. If you haven't experienced Tulum beaches, you'll be amazed at the sand(which is like sugar) and the ocean is that Caribbean greenish blue that relaxes the eyes.
This is an ideal getaway for couples. To experience NVDR and Tulum you need to book at least a week.
We've tried 8 hotels in the beach zone and prefer Nueva Vida de Ramiro because of it's quiet understated beauty. If you're looking for action, go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MIKE C
Albany, New York
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Wife and just spent three days here on our first trip to Tulum and our first rustic lodging. We are vegetarians, organic gardeners, but are not outdoorsy nor accustomed to camping or roughing it. This is our story from that perspective.

I spent a lot of time researching and narrowing hotel choices before finalizing on Nueva Vida and the Ola suite. I wanted the "look" and privacy of the rustic hut, which Ola has, but with out giving up all modern conveniences. Ola is probably the most private of the NV beachfront suites and seemed the quaintest. It did have a private bath (with Palm tree in the middle of shower), one electrical outlet with 24 hour service, a ceiling and oscillating stand fan, decent wifi signal, and 4 lights. Some of the walls/roof were partially open or screened, but the building was more solid and enclosed than some we saw when out exploring.

Even though I had researched and spent a lot of time reviewing pics, reviews, and forums, there were some things I hadn't quite expected:

1) darkness. It was pitch black by 6 PM in early December. With no street lights, minimal room lights, getting around and being active doing what we would normally do on vacation evenings wasn't easy. Driving and walking on the narrow, windy, dark road of the Zona Hoteleria amongst speedy locals and taxis was treacherous. We had brought a small flashlight, but one per person and a lamp would have been appreciated for getting around, and providing more light when needed in the room would have been appreciated. Using a semi-open bathroom in the dark can be intimidating.

2) limited access to food and drinks. I knew there wouldn't be TV or a blow dryer, but not having coffee, fridge, etc at your immediate access took some getting used to and required more planning. Bring a large cooler bag and stock up on drinks and snacks for the room and beach. We turned our garbage into a cooler in the shower. Drinks are expensive at nearby restaurants. They are not always open when you want, too.

3) animals and noises. Along with the breeze and waves, there are a lot of unfamiliar animal noises in the room. It's not always clear what the critter is, where exactly it is, and what it's intentions are. We definitely woke up a time or two in a panic. The largest grasshopper I have ever seen came into the shower one night.

Compared to the other places we explored on our beach walks (which included stopping into other places and asking to look around), I think NV wins out on:

1)value, particularly on price of beachfront single cabanas. Even some of the more rustic places often charged more for beach front cabanas. Few places in this price point had as many services and conveniences.

2) cleanliness and grooming of beach and grounds.

3) density and privacy beach. Most places had way more people, rooms, and seating in way less space.

4) Casa Banana breakfast was very good and free. Dinner and drinks were expensive.

No fifth star because some of the faults in the room (mattress, sheets, pillows old and not comfortable). Not enough storage space or furniture to live comfortably in room, even with only two overhead and two under seat carry-one total.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Krivenburg
Rocky River, Ohio
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Let me preface this review by stating that I've been to Tulum, Mexico four times in the past four years, and have stayed at Nueva Vida de Ramiro each time. In fact, I'm headed back in two months, and am absolutely staying there again. The facilities continue to be consistent: excellent rooms, friendly staff, clean rooms, and a beautiful setting. It's a perfect location on the beach. I really think that the staff stand out as some of the nicest and most accommodating I've run across in any hotel, anywhere. We've stayed in #1 twice, #14, and #23, and would honestly recommend any room. They each have their own charm, and this next time we're staying in another room in Zona Corazon to try something new.

Our issues with this stay were due to some apparent changes in the way the attached restaurant, Casa Banana is now run.
- The breakfasts are still consistent and delicious...the fresh hearth baked bread every morning with homemade jam is fantastic! My only compliant would be the juice that's served - it's....weird. I love juices and blends but this tastes muddy and dull. I miss the fresh squeezed orange juice they used to serve.
- They have limited their cocktail menu during the day SUBSTANTIALLY, and it's truly a shame. We used to order multiple margaritas, caipirinhas, pina coladas, daiquiris, etc...but due to their new limited day menu the only of those available during the day is a margarita. What? At a beach resort? And even that is not the same quality that it used to be. Casa Banana used to have the best margaritas on the beach, period. And these aren't even close - too sweet, not enough tequila. We had them once and never again during the trip. They do serve specialty cocktails starting at 6 p.m., but most people long for those fruity drinks while lounging on the beach... We found ourselves walking to La Zebra and getting cocktails and walking back to our spot on the beach. That's money that should've been spent at Nueva Vida. (over $300!)
- During check-in it was stated that there was 'beach service' during day hours each day of the week. We only saw waitstaff visit the beach Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays, and NOT ONCE during Monday - Thursday were we approached for beach service, and we essentially lived on the beach. If it's only Fri - Sun...make sure that's clear on check-in so we're not looking around during the day for someone.
- Several of the servers/managers at Casa Banana were seen lounging topless (they were men) on beds designated for hotel guests one afternoon. Just a bit unprofessional.

Overall the hotel is still excellent and deserve their high rating on Trip Advisor. The attached restaurant has slipped in some key areas that really differentiated Nueva Vida de Ramiro from other hotels on the beach. I hope they are able to find some middle ground with keeping minimal staff at the restaurant during the day but still being able to meet customer's expectations. It's money they're missing if people are heading elsewhere for cocktails during the day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CLJuliet
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear CLJuliet:

As always it is a pleasure having you and thank you so much for your review. We already sent a copy of your review to Casa Banana and had a meeting with them regarding the points you mention. They are taking a very active attitude towards each of the things you mentioned, making sure the juice they serve has a good taste, they hired someone else who is permanently at the beach form 11 a.m. to 4-5 p.m. depending on the demand. As for the drinks, when they changed the menu they put in only the drinks that are ordered the most, but all the list of specialty drinks are available at any time. And they will sure add more tequila to those margaritas.
We hope to see you again next year!!! Happy New Year
Indianapolis
Reviewed 4 December 2013

and it keeps getting better. This was our 7th trip to Tulum and 5th trip to Nueva Vida de Ramiro. During this trip, we stayed in 2 different bungalows, the Sueno Caribeno Suite #4 and Pasion Marina #7. After staying in 6 different rooms at NVR, my wife has found our her favorite. The Suena Caribeno Suite is HUGE with the best bed we've slept during our stays at NVR. The bathroom is beautiful, the views are great (not the best because of the location) but are great. Pictures included. One suggestion, is to improve the standing floor fan which isn't very powerful. Only suggestion. The location is near the lobby and other bungalows and is up on the 2nd floor which makes the breeze very nice. My wife will request this room each time from now on while I want to try other rooms. We usually stay in 2 during each trip. If you want to see other pictures o rooms and reviews, I have a fan page on fb and welcome friend request (Jeremy Gearries). I have a good number of tripadvisor friends on my list so you are welcome to join. I won't go into much detail about Tulum but I will stress that the ENTIRE staff at NVR are the best ever. Mariela and Ricardo, I can't wait to see you soon. A few things to know.
-Beach beds/chairs are free and there are plenty so if you don't see them when you wake up, they will bring out your own private beds.
-Casa Banana...WOW!
-Don't be afraid to rent a car or bikes. You'll be glad you did.
-You'll get bug bites, you're in the jungle.

I have several other reviews on here dating back from 2011 under my profile name. Again, you are welcome to visit my page or request me on FB (Jeremy Gearries). I enjoy sharing travel tips and helping others out.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms have the best flow of air. If you go in the summer, it will be hot. Don't compl...
6 Thank djsdirect
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Jeremy and Sara:

As always it was a pleasure having you guys at the hotel and we are so grateful for your amazing review. Although you think you found your favorite room, you still need to try a couple in the Corazon area still, we are positive that your wife will have a hard time having a favorite then.
We already took care of the fan and changed it for a stronger one. Can't wait to have you guys visit us again!!!
From sunny Tulum, warm regards;
Clarence, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This trip was a vacation with friends and our honeymoon...and it was just perfect. The location of the hotel, the staff, the amenities, our proximity to the beach, the affiliated restaurant....everything....was just incredible. If you're looking for something fun yet low-key, Tulum is the perfect area. Everyone at Nueva Vida de Ramiro is helpful and accommodating without being overbearing and pretentious. We loved our vacation/honeymoon and can't thank you enough for setting such a high standard for Tulum.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ola Suite - perfect for a couple. Our friends stayed in the Casa Mexicana - great...
1 Thank HeidiFischer
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The best thing about this place is the location... Paradise.. spotless beach and tropical gardens and pathways all around the property.They keep the land immaculate here.And the Casa bananas restaurant attached to the hotel is wonderful- one of the best restaurants in the area.
The room itself is very clean and perfectly located just up from the beach. Incredible views - however the room itself could do with a little updating, even though it's eco, it definitely needs better lighting (was so dark I could hardly see what was in my suitcase at night).. and maybe a bit more furniture. The bed comfort was ok.. sheets could have been softer (but we stayed at a higher end place and had the same problem)
I would have liked it if the hotel offered some programming.. like options for yoga and meditation on the beach. The staff were very friendly and the reception area is very cute. This place is ideal for privacy and romance. The setting is one of the best on the beach - all the beach beds and chairs are spread out so it feels very private, this is the real luxury of the place. Without question I would stay here again.

2 Thank Estelle F