“Great location (albeit slightly uncomfortable) in beautiful Tulum”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location (albeit slightly uncomfortable) in beautiful Tulum”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Tulum is magical and this hotel is in a perfect setting/location to access the beach and amazing restaurants. (Highly recommed Hartwood and Simple). Staff is wonderful - kind and full of great advice. However, sleeping was uncomfortable. We stayed in room 2 in search of a sea breeze since we knew there would be no A/C. I am not sure if it was based on weather factors, but the wind did not reach the room so it was very stuffy. In addition, the bed was extremely uncomfortable. Casa Banana was a great place to grab a night cap and dessert. Breakfast was basic, but better than nothing. Overall, we loved Tulum and the lack of comfort in the room would not deter us from heading back to Tulum. We would try another room (or hotel) if we do make it back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear mmm9x:

We are very sorry the room did not meet your expectations and it certainly has been very humid with varying wind conditions lately. Unfortunately the ceiling and the floor fans were not sufficient for you. We are making some changes in 5 of our rooms and before the end of the year they will be equipped with AC which the guest will be able to turn on from 8 pm until 8 am. We will limit the hour of use to maintain the consumption of energy and impact the environment as little as possible. Until now we did not consider installing AC units for eco reasons, but we do listen to our guests that are more sensitive to the heat and humidity of the Caribbean. We will be announcing on our website and on Facebook when this rooms will be ready.
Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Korean first
Idaho
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Eco friendly hotel for 9 nights. Loved the beach and the comfy chairs and sun mattresses they provide. The room was awesome. Piece of advice- if have cooler and want ice and snacks take a left out of hotel and walk 1/4 mile to tiny store on left. Not much like it in tulum. Only complaint was mediocre maid service. Otherwise 5 star all the way!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank potatofish
Dear potatofish:

We are glad you had such a great vacation and deeply apologize for the maid service you had, we encourage our guests, and potential future guests that might be reading this review, to let us know while staying with us if there is anything we can make better for an impeccable experience. Guests have many different tastes and needs, so of it is within our reach we will do everything possible to make it right. Thank you very much for your review.
Lima Region, Peru
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I just can´t believe I have left behind all those beautiful days at Tulum. At first my husband and I weren´t sure if staying in Tulum or at Playa del Carmen where you can reach all the attractions and have everything a little town can offer.

I am sure now, that we made the right decision. After a long trip to Tulum, we arrived at NVD. The place was surrounded with a real jungle, in the nicest and well conserved way in order to accomplish a nice mix between an eco lodge and a true paradise on earth.

We were received with 2 coconut drinks and a very big smile from the guy at front door. They took us to our room and despite that it wasn´t in front of the beach it was very nice decorated, with great taste and you could get instantly the feeling that you were close to total relax.

After leaving all our stuff at the bedroom, we run into the beach. It mas simply amazing! it was so close of us! only a few meters and there you have it: one of the most beautiful beaches in the world from my point of view. White and thin sand, turquoise water, hamacas everywhere or whatever you needed to be as comfortable possible at the beach.

The breakfast was nice: fresh juice, homemade bread and coffee. It wasn´t the best breakfast of my trip to Mexico but it was definitely something!

If we ever return to Tulum, I am sure that we´ll be back at NVD. Look no further. This is the place for you, for a couple, for families, for everybody. it suits perfect for a quite and relaxing holiday.
Cheers NVD! Keep up the good work, the simplicity and the kindness.

1 Thank Pieri_Peru
Dear Pieri_Peru:

Thank you very much for your review, you truly described your enthusiasm and we are grateful for the value our guests give to the care we take of the jungle around us, the incomparable beach and how we strive to make you feel safe yet adventurous and comfortable in our grounds. It is great that you mention how close you were to the beach, some potential guests have doubts about our jungle view rooms, it is important for the readers to know that the farthest room from the beach is 100 meters. True, they may not have the constant ocean breeze, but are a great value if you are on a budget.
Now that you are a pst guest you have an indefinite 15% off, so maybe next time you may stay only 20 meters away form the ocean.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I don't even know where to start. Shall I start with the most beautiful grounds? Luscious jungle, with well lighted paths, always constantly maintained. An awesome welcome board, when we arrived - a personal welcome. The beauty of NVR, is that even if it is booked, you feel like you are alone in your room. It was never crowded! Loved the comfy beach beds, and the hanging one is a much! Hammocks everywhere.

I first stayed in the Magico Amanacer Suite #1. It was out of this world. You are steps away from the ocean and it is really spacious. Huge sink/bathroom in cute Mexican tile. Lots of room to store luggage, amenities and a closet area. My friend and I had a blast with it. Each bed had a fan inside the mosquito net and a floor fan too. It was magical on nights to watch the moonlight against the water, while laying in bed, and to wake up to the sunrise with the jungle background.

Casa Banana was so relaxing for breakfast - with yummy Huevos Rancheros and fresh warm bread. We had breakfast delivered one night, but after that, enjoyed going to the actually restaurant. Service was excellent. Thanks Luis! I practiced my Spanish and even learned some Mayan. Calamari salad and chocolate torte for dessert - highly recommended.

Mariella was wonderful at the front desk. Always friendly, and you can tell that you she sincerely loved what she did. They were incredibly organized - considering there are many bungalows to maintain. They seemed to have everything seemlessly working. I moved rooms 3 times, but they always had someone on time to bring the luggage and make sure that my friend made her taxi to the airport on time. Eric was fabulous, very sweet and coordinated things well. Maintenance was on top of things too! The cleaning girls were so thorough and sweet, and even left a broom in the room for me, when I asked!

I also stayed in Sueno Caribeno- which was out of this world, and #24. They both had amazing details and were extremely luxurious - you can't beat the prices in the low season!

I loved the little details, they left a ton of sunscreen/suntan/eco and cenote friendly sunscreen for everyone to use, along with insect repellant.

NVR made the trip for my friend and I.

Liked the vicinity of walking to many other shops/restaurants. Want to come back!

I also went on a private tour with Avatar Adventures - my 2nd time - I highly recommend it as the only way to see cenotes and Akumal.

Room Tip: #1 was amazing for vicinity to the beach, and 2 double beds. #4 had a huge space, was modern and 2 s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Helen S
Dear Helen S:

What can we say but THANK YOU with capital letters for your amazing review. The fact that you actually has a taste of 3 different rooms and liked them all, well this is the kind of reviews that let's us know we are on the right track.
We are now int the middle of remodeling 5 rooms for better lighting and fresh air, so next time you plan remember to contact us for the latest news and commodities.
It was a great pleasure having you at our hotel are sincerely hope to see you very soon. I will make sure to let the staff know how grateful you were for their service.
Keep in touch
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This review is LONG overdue as it's been over 2 years since I visited Nueva Vida de Ramiro in December 2011. However, we first started checking this property out back in 2008 on our 2nd visit to Tulum.

We were staying at a nearby resort then and saw that Nueva Vida was just starting out and it looked lovely. We returned again in 2010 and again stayed near by, this time we decided for the price we were paying at our hotel, that the NVR was a much better deal--and in 2011 we FINALLY stayed at this amazing property.

Of the 4 places we have stayed in Tulum, this is my favorite one. I have loved them all, but this is the one we will be returning to on our next trip.

I loved being on the second floor, feeling the ocean breeze and seeing the sea. The rooms are spacious and clean and we loved breakfast on our balcony in the morning. Housekeeping was attentive to cleaning up our dishes and making up the room when we went to the beach.

The font desk staff was very kind and helpful and the waiters on the beach were also available for drink orders.

the only minor issue we had was the bed was a bit hard, even for us, and we do like hard beds. It also moved quite a bit since it hung on ropes, which annoyed my husband a bit--but certainly not enough to not stay there again.

It's important to realize these rooms are rustic--so you won't have air conditioning and other 5 star perks. However, if a beach and relaxation is your goal, this is your place...much like all the rustic cabanas in Tulum.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Amyem2000:

It doesn't matter how long it takes, we always welcome the reviews of our past guests. We really hope that you visit us again, there has been lot of remodeling upgrading our rooms and the only hanging beds are the ones at the beach to relax. We have changed all the mattresses and pillows. So now you know, do not hesitate to contact us for information or visit us in Facebook where you can see pictures of all of our rooms.
Thank you again for your review!
Kansas City
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I loved this hotel!!! Our rooms had awesome ocean views and were literally steps from the uncrowded impeccable beach!! This is definitely on the best beach stretch of Tulum, much superior to the North Tulum. There is ample amount of beach furniture and space. The beach bar service was awesome as well, it was great to relax all day at the beach and have a friendly staff member bring ice cold drinks and fresh guacamole. The rooms were very up to date and nicely furnished in a way that matched the tropical setting. I may add that there is no air conditioning. I personally remained comfortable with the ocean breeze and the fans at night, however the other couple we were with, did experience some discomfort at night due to the heat. I am guessing the location of the room may impact the amount of breeze it receives.Some months of the year this would be of no concern, yet if you are going during the summer months be aware it does get hot. I suggest trying to get a room close to the beach for maximum breeze. I really loved everything. The restaurant Casa Banana is super cute, and located just across the street. If you prefer beach front dining, you have a number of other restaurants within walking distance to choose from. The staff was very helpful with answering questions and lending help with keeping our wine cold, providing us with a boogie board and giving us great insight as to activities and dining options. Thanks again, we will be back!!

And added bonus... There is a turtle conservatory here. If you love turtles you should visit here when the little a babies are hatching...I can't wait ti go back and see it for myself. I walked the stretch of Tulum, and this is definitely a top choice for me.

Dear Pamela VanderHAgen:

Thank you for taking time to write such a nice review.Turtle season is picking up and actually we have had already turtles come up to lay eggs, so this is just starting. Remember that the best time to experience the hatching is form July to October. We hope you can make it, if not for this year, maybe next? Be on the look for the email as a past guest for your returning guests discount!! Cheers
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I am another one of those people that probably research WAY too much...alas, I came upon all of the reviews for Nueva after having booked another location in Tulum. I cancelled that reservation and booked the Pasion Marina cabana #7 for May 5-9. Needless to say I am very happy I made the change. We were wonderfully greeted and shown to our cabana which had a great view of the ocean and was nestled in palm trees that gave it a sense of privacy without impeding the views. The staff was extraordinary. Muriella was amazing and so passionate about making our stay memorable, coming up with an excursion idea when another had fallen through. She set us up with an amazing driver, Martine, who took just the two of us snorkeling in the empty Sac Actun Cenotes, teaching us about the area and sharing his passion that he shared with his friends exploring newly found cenotes. We met a wonderful woman who owned the little convenience store just down the road, good friends with Muriella, who greeted us every day with a smile and, if we were lucky, bags of ice, giving us big hugs when we departed. Roger and Roberto(hoping I got his name correct) went above and beyond with their service and great memories continued when we were set up with Tiberio, another driver who is good friends with Roberto, who took us to Coba and eventually up to Puerto Juarez, sharing so much of his life with us and joining us for conchanita YUM!!!!) at a roadside stand coming back from Coba (at his recommendation).

The grounds of Nueva Vida are absolute heaven as you walk up the paths to your cabana, watching the little sand crabs scurry to safety as you make your way through the lush grounds. We did not see into any of the other cabanas but it would be hard to choose a bad one on the beach. The rooms were amply sized and the shower, though salty-to be expected in this eco friendly zone, was always hot for as long as you needed. As far as the no a/c...I am not sure how hot it ends up getting but the breeze was amazing...keep the doors open at your own risk...We had zero problems with insects at all and never felt in danger, especially with the ever present security on site.

The restaurant across the street was great for breakfast and the dinner we had was one of our best. La Zebra is right next door for beachfront dining, definitely try the hamburger and the short ribs were amazing!!

I would absolutely recommend NVR for those looking for striking beaches, genuine staff, and an overall beautiful vacation. We could definitely see this as a place to visit every year as there was so much more we wanted to do but didn't in the time we had. We even received small wooden turtles as we checked out which will always bring a smile to our faces and a present reminder of this experience.

(As a side note, I know some people inquire as to the "gay friendliness" of Tulum. I can say that as a gay couple we NEVER felt anything but comfortable at NVR, or anywhere for that matter, the entire stay. We were never looked down upon or treated with anything but respect by the Tulum community. I would recommend this to anyone with reservations. Do not expect bass thumping night life if that is your thing...head to Cancun for that.)

4 Thank Bodine72
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Bodine72:

Wow, what an amazing way to start our day at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, by reading such a warm and beautiful review. I made sure to let everyone know how pleased you guys were with your stay, specially the names you mentioned.
We are so glad to read that you had such an amazing time and that your stay was spotless, that is all we strive for, for our guest to leave with the sensation that everything just worked out as expected.
We hope to have you back soon, iguanas are missing you already. : )
Please receive a warm hug form the Nueva VIda de Ramiro Team.