“Quiet, relaxed place”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
“Quiet, relaxed place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We enjoyed our time here, it was really very quiet. No bothersome noise from the neighbors, everybody relaxed and not a party environment for sure! The rooms were very clean, the first two nights we were in room 20 Coral and then we switched to have 22a Ave de Paraiso so we could have a refrigerator. We definitely liked the 22a more, it was on the second floor so more privacy, space and air-flow. Staff was very friendly, Mariela helped us with our transport when the driver was late to make sure we wouldn't miss our flight.
The only thing that is missing from this property (for me at least) is a restaurant on the beach, although I understand their reasons for not doing it (as they are very very turtle friendly and the lights and noise on the beach would deter turtles from coming ashore). The associated restaurant was very good, but very expensive like all other restaurants in Tulum. Make sure if you want breakfast in you room, to request it early!! There is no charge, and its nice to relax on the terrace while enjoying your coffee!

Room Tip: If you want a cheaper room, go for 22a. Its on the 2nd floor and the $5 for the kitchenette and more...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BJMGG
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear BJMGG:

Thank you very much for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Some guests also agree with you about the restaurant, but as you mention is for a good cause. Also Casa Banana has service to the beach, they start right after breakfast at 11 a.m. until 4 or 5 p.m. depending on the amount of people that still want service. Or booking one of the studios as you did, guests also like to have their own food.
We hope to have you again with us in a near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is fantastic and I will definitely be back. (My review is for a Tulum beach hotel, so it assumes that the reader has done her homework and knows that there are no high-rise buildings, no heavy electric use, no toilets that flush paper, etc… in this part of the country. Also, it assumes you already know that everything here is priced like you’re in NYC and the town is full of fashion industry types.)

My 9-yr-old son and I chose to visit Tulum at this time of year because it is turtle nesting season there and to see the nearby archaeological sites of Tulum and Coba. I’d previously stayed in Tulum at Dreams Resort and thought he’d love visiting the ruins and seeing the iguanas. I was able to find a room (Blanca Duna B) that was only $340 for three nights, which was considerably less than any of the other comparable places I could find, and the price included a breakfast as well as parking. Given the great price, I was a bit wary of what we might get. However, it was immediately clear when we approached the complex that I had made a great choice. The lush gardens were cool and inviting and surrounded the open air reception area and office that felt like a nature preserve office. (We later became friends with Mr. Juanito, the amazing gardener/groundskeeper, who we learned is an actual expert in Mayan plants and healing within his Mayan community.) Upon our arrival we were asked/told to sit down and relax by Ricardo and immediately presented with refreshments. I think he could tell we’d had a long, hot day of travel! We were also given branded beach tote bags that came in handy. The staff used wheel barrows to tote all of our luggage to our rooms and placed it inside for us. From what I’ve read in the comments about the more fashionable spots like Coqui Coqui, this is not something that all hotels offer. In fact, whenever they saw me struggling with something or looking confused, one of them would approach and offer help. The nice thing was that they managed to do this without being intrusive at all. We felt like we had tons of privacy. Compared to the other hotels we passed along the road to Nueva Vida, it was much more “in sync” with the natural environment. While it is modern and stylish, it is appropriately designed to fit within this beach jungle setting, with lots of exposed local woods, curving lines, colors that blend into the flora, and the quintessential palapa rooftops. It doesn’t feel like it’s trying to make a statement the way that Ana y Jose does with its imposing stone facade protruding out of the jungle. In Tulum, a hotel doesn’t need to make a statement. It just needs to offer comfort within the breathtakingly beautiful surroundings, IMHO. After being checked in, we were taken to our room, where we were floored by how nice everything was. We had a spacious private balcony with two chairs and a table and the beds were completely covered (tops and all 4 sides) with gorgeous mosquito netting. There was a nice armoire with a working safe, a writing table, luggage tables, and places to hang our clothing and store our snorkel gear. The beds were very comfortable. I could easily imagine staying there for a week or more. There were large glass doors that provided a stunning jungle view. The bathroom was a complete 3-piece unit so that a person could use the toilet in total privacy while somebody bathed or used the cool alabaster vase vanity or the large mirror above it. Although we weren’t able to get the direct ocean breeze, they provided 4 fans that took care of the ventilation just fine. (Two are over the beds but within the netting so that you can have a direct breeze on you all night long.) I was amazed by how clean everything was given that we were essentially on the beach and the ocean air tends to corrode things like bath fixtures and paint.

The hotel is located on what is probably the absolute best part of the Tulum beach in terms of sand quality and peacefulness. Most importantly for us, the hotel participates in (I think it might be the lead) in the local effort to protect the turtle nesting areas. It does this by removing all beach furniture at night (the beach furniture is hands-down the best on the entire beach – swinging/hanging bed mattresses, full size beach mattresses, comfy wooden chairs, hammocks, you name it) and by turning off all white lights facing the water. This is because furniture can block turtles from finding their way to the nesting spots and the lights scare off the turtles. They also house two nesting sanctuaries on their property where you can observe them up close, and it’s the place where the scientists/volunteers release the baby turtles when they are ready to head to the ocean on their own. We had the incredibly good fortune of witnessing this our first night there. The volunteers let my son and the other children help, and the look of complete awe and wonder in their little faces will stay with me forever. It was truly a priceless moment. The security guards (there is very, very good security there so I felt completely safe wandering around the grounds at all hours alone) are super friendly and will alert you when a mama turtle comes on land to nest in the middle of the night if you ask them. The front desk staff even helped my son convert our regular flashlights into “turtle safe” ones by giving him some red film and duct tape to attach it. We sat out on turtle watch two nights till about midnight and spotted two turtles but they were scared off by tourists who approached them with white flashlights so they didn’t nest while we were there. During the day, there is a lifeguard present as well as a security guard, so we could swim without worry about our iPad or other stuff being stolen, which was really nice.

All of the staff go out of their way to help the guests enjoy themselves. Throughout our 3 nights I kept finding out about more and more things they had to offer. My only “complaint” would be that they have so much to offer that it’s probably impossible for them to explain all this at check-in (they probably did but I was too discombobulated after driving from Piste then climbing Coba earlier in the day that it went in one ear and out the other) that they should probably just print it out and hand it to the guests to review once they’ve got questions. For example, I decided to buy our snacks and lunch food at the grocery store once I realized that the cheaper non-sit-down restaurants all were driving distance away from the beachfront hotels, and ended up buying my own cooler without asking to just borrow one of theirs. They have things like bikes for rent on site, a self-serve espresso machine, extra bottles of water, an assortment of bug sprays, sunscreens, and skin treatments that everyone can help themselves to, and lots of other stuff. The restaurant affiliated with them, Casa Banana, serves delicious food and we had an outstanding dinner there our first night. But as yummy as it was, we weren’t in the mood for such an all-out meal three times a day, so we pretty much just had breakfast there from then on. The breakfast that comes with the room was technically continental, but it was quite filling. The other restaurants are a short walk from the NV reception area (like Hartwood), but take a flashlight to help make your way home along the dark but populated road at night.

Overall, this place offers a fantastic value. This is especially true if you opt for one of the lower priced rooms as I did, but I would still think it was worth the money even if I’d paid for the rooms with more space and direct water views. The friendly staff just can’t be beat. While we were hanging out on the beach, totally out of the blue Mr. Juanito was kind enough to bring over a fresh coconut for us to drink and then he demonstrated how to use a machete to cut it open and eat the meat from the inside. My son is still talking about how cool that was. We can’t wait to return! Note that kids are limited to only certain rooms. Since most people keep their doors open at least during the day, I'd recommend that those who don't want to hear babies crying or kids screeching should stay on the far side of the complex. I was fine with this since I had my own kiddo in tow, but if I were there on a romantic getaway sans my own child, I'd opt to skip any noise associated with other people's children. For other parents, I'd generally recommend that you avoid Tulum if you need things like TV or electronics to entertain your kids or if they won't sleep well without AC. This entire area is truly rustic in that sense but just about 25 minutes to the north you can find more American style hotels that offer the creature comforts that most families need to have an enjoyable vacation. Also, you should be aware that the overall vibe at Tulum is more adult oriented. This isn't a volleyball playing, jet ski sort of beach area. Also, you should be aware that you and your kids may encounter sunbathers without bikini tops or couples being couples. It's an accepting and tolerant sort of place, so expect to see same sex couples enjoying their romantic getaway in the same way that the hetero ones do. If you aren't up for that, then consider staying in Akumal or elsewhere.

Room Tip: The Duna Blanca 5B is one of the lowest price rooms but it is very spacious and comfortable so I'...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Julie M
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear JulieMartinezOrtega:

Can't thank you enough for your review, as we do always do, we shared it with our staff who feel extremely proud when recognized for their work. We really appreciate your review since you mention many of the things we have to offer, you are right, there are many and as much as we try to tell all at check in, we understand that most of our guests have traveled literally for hours to get here and logically just want to put their bathing suits on and jump into the ocean. So we give an overview but it is important for our future guests to know that you can consult and ask us before going out to explore, if we can provide it we will definitely do so, and if not, we will direct you to the best option to obtain it.
Thank you so much again for such a heartwarming review, all that you felt and experience is exactly what we strive for and knowing our guests enjoyed their stay so much, just motivates us to keep improving.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I loved our little bungalow at Nueva Vida! We were in #11 and nothing stood in between us and a gorgeous view of the sand and sea.

The staff was always so helpful - Roger, at the front desk, was always ready with a recommendation and smile. We very much enjoyed trying out the places and adventures he suggested.

The one thing I would say is that the back of bungalow #11 (where the shower and sink is) has windows that face towards other bungalows and a where staff can walk back and forth. Doesn't really make for a very private feel, especially since you'll be in the shower a lot with the humidity and sand and salt water. When we asked for a curtain or something to hang up, we were told that all rooms are like that and they don't have anything.

Other than that, it was a beautiful stay - rooms were cleaned so well each day (to keep the sand out) and being able to have breakfast on our porch from Casa Banana (included in stay) was wonderful!

1 Thank Mindy S
Dear Mindy:

Thank you for taking your time to write a review, we are very glad you had a great time with us. we are very sorry that you did not feel enough privacy, We take all of our guests advises very seriously and will surely work as soon as possible on making spot you mention feel more private.
Again thank you for your review and recommendation!!
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I will absolutely go back here again, charming lovley place.
1. the place have a great location at Tulum beach
2. clean and nice.
3. fan, no places have air con in Tulum what I have understood because of the problems with electricity
4. 24H electricy, they have it 24H, but they need to keep down the electricity use, that's why they don't use air con.
5. a lot of turtles came up in front of this hotel. we didn't saw anyone though...
6. breakfast that's included: home made bread, homemade banana bread, butter jam and coffee/tea
7. they rent out bikes for 150 pesos for 24H

well I cant say anything else than; I like this place!

Room Tip: we didn't have they biggest budget so we took one of the cheaper room. ask for the room; viente...
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

2nd stay at this fabulous hotel and it was just as great as the 1st time!

My husband & I originally planned to stay 3 nights in the pueblo at a different hotel (that shall remain nameless) as we had some excursions planned, we were to later move on to NVR for the rest of our vacation. After 12 hours of traveling, we arrived in the middle of the night at our "nameless pueblo hotel" only to find it closed! This "nameless pueblo hotel" is rated in the top handful here on TA & was by far the biggest disappointment on our trip. Even though they stated they had a guard on staff all night, no one was there. They lied to get our business and we would not recommend anyone to stay there at all! After almost 2 hours of knocking & calls that went unanswered, our very patient transfers driver was nice enough to drive us to NVR on the beach in hopes that they could take us in a few days earlier than planned. The hotel was able to check us in a couple of hours later and luckily our room happened to be available. After such an awful start to our trip, we settled into to NVR and realized that we should have just stayed here from the start. Other than the "nameless pueblo hotel" issue, everyone we encountered on our trip truly went above and beyond. The beach here truly is 2nd to none and there really is no reason to stay anywhere other than on the beach in Tulum. The room was comfortable, staff beyond great, and the beautiful beach was all well worth the trip.

Do yourself a favor, if you are considering staying in the pueblo, just don't. The beach & NVR in particular, are the way to go for a fantastic Tulum vacation. You won't regret it - we've already booked for our next trip! We really love this place and highly recommend to anyone looking for a laid back relaxing time on a beautiful beach with caring and attentive staff with great nearby restaurants. See you soon Nueva Vida!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Solful1
Dear Solful:

What can we say, love to be our guests heroes!! We are very grateful for your review and that we lived up to your expectations on your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay with us and we will keep working hard to make your next stay even better!!!
The warmest regards;
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've been to a lot of places but I'm in love with Tulum and this place puts the cherry on the cake! Top notch!
Great service, amazing location! Best beach!

This area is Boca Paila, a peninsula off downtown Tulum city....true paradise...
I hope nothing more gets developed there...you are within feet of the most beautiful silky sand beach! Super friendly locals and best of all: no resorts, no high rises, no chains....low key! Old world style, classy!

Exceptional place to visit with your significant other! Very romantic and isolated. Peaceful, dreamy!

My only disappointment would be that the restaurant changed hands. When I first spotted the hotel, was thru coincidence of dining at the restaurant in about 2008. Casa Banana then...amazing food, great service! On my last visit, it had changed hands. Food no longer that great..service ok. Not personable anymore...so you can eat in town or at other nearby great restaurants. You have no problem finding fresh ingredients and super tasty choices here....

Indulge yourself in an unforgettable experience. If you're visiting from the States behave! It's not bourbon street or Cancun where you are expected to act like a misbehaved college kid!
People are real, it's not very touristy. Secluded, beautiful paradise....hope it stays that way!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelfacto
Dear Skyhost:

Love that we are part of one of your favorite places in the world!!! Your description of Tulum is spot on and it is great that you mention it's "low key" feeling to it. Tulum is very quite and there is not much night life going on after 11p.m., unless you go downtown where you have a couple of really cool bars that usually have live music. Although there are great restaurants, many offering soft background music and a great dim light ambiance.
And yes, can't beat Tulum's romantic feel!!
Hope to have you again very soon....
Playa Del Carmen, MX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have traveled all over the world, stayed in all different classes of hotels, consult with hotels and am an investor in a hotel... and Nueva Vida de Ramiro is a unique and special place. If a hair dryer, safe for your "jewels", A/C or dedicated staff waiting to take care of every little need is key for your vacation, I would suggest you look for a different destination.

But if you are looking for a hotel with SPECTACULAR beaches, a place to decompress, a place to breath, a place where the surf is your "white noise", a place where you can have a long conversation with a significant other, a place where the staff leaves you alone to "just be" but is never to far away, then you are in the right place.

We had previously stayed at two other hotels in Tulum. This was our second stay at Nueva Vida de Ramiro and we stayed in oceanfront rooms both times. For us, there is no need to look for another place to stay, we have found it. The oceanfront room rates are very reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. The rooms are large, unique, clean and the wifi works great. The entire property is very well maintained and the staff is very pleasant. If forced to find something to "improve", I would say if their safes were just a couple of inches bigger, they would fit a laptop. That's it!

I'm a light sleeper and we had a palm branch hitting our window, just enough to get my OCD's attention. I reluctantly asked the front desk if there was a solution (we try to adapt to the jungle versus having it adapt to us) and before I made it back to the room, maintenance was pruning the tree. A simple request to reception and Continental Breakfast was delivered to our patio each morning. A request for a late check out was not only accommodated (we stayed on the beach till 5p) but the General Manager had the hotel's outdoor shower room setup with towels, soap and shampoo for us.

Their partner restaurant across the street, Casa Banana, is fine. But we really enjoyed the vibe, food and service from the restaurant a few steps away on the beach, Casa Banana. Great Mexican food, fresh fish, cold water (not the easiest thing to find in Tulum), and live Salsa (with free classes) every Sunday. And one of the best restaurant managers, Fernando, that I've come across in my travels in Mexico.

Everyone in Tulum says there's a special "energy" flowing through Tulum and we agree completely and I suspect if you visit once or twice you will agree too. For us, that was underscored when walking back from Casa Banana to our room around 10pm. We came upon a turtle making her way from the ocean, across the beach to the dunes to lay her eggs. That in itself was a fascinating experience, but when we determined she had chosen the exact spot where we had just spent our day on the beach, we had an entirely different appreciation for Tulum and Nueva Vida de Ramiro. For us, it became almost magical and truly memorable.

Thanks very much to Mariela and all the staff, we will be back soon!

Room Tip: Go for the oceanfront rooms, they are already a great value and worth the extra amount.
2 Thank PlayaMayaGuy
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear PlayaMayaGuy:

We just had a staff meeting to give them their monthly bonus and I shared your review, ensuring them and motivating all to keep up the good work. Your review describes exactly what we strive for: good service yet not overwhelming and interrupting the peace and relaxation of our guests, taking care of the guests needs as soon as it is possible. We truly appreciate when guests tell us during their stay if there is anything that will make them feel more comfortable, if it is within our grasp, we will make it happen.
We are always so grateful for the reviews, but coming from someone who is in the business like you it is a definite bonus for us. So thank you very much for taking time form your schedule to write this fantastic review and we will be waiting for you both for that long stay you discussed.
Warm regards;