“Perfect, PERFECT honeymoon spot.”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #14 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Let me begin this review by explaining that my hubs and I stayed at NVR for 4 nights the first half of our honeymoon, before heading back north for 4 nights at a small all-inclusive luxury hotel near Cancun.

Let me add that I am a creature of comfort, and expected to "need" the luxury resort-ending to our honeymoon. Well, that was before we stayed at NVR.

We LOVED our stay at NVR. When we are asked which of the two hotels we would go back to, we answer NVR - no questions asked.

After a long day of travel, we felt immediately at peace. The "hotel grounds" are secluded and the rooms tucked away in the trees.

The staff is friendly, accomodating, and allows you your privacy. Available if you need them, but otherwise they leave you to yourself. Fabulous people.

The location is simply breathtaking. There is nothing else to say. Its incredible.

The beach is sparkling clean, the water is clear, the sand is fine and soft, there is no trash, there are plently of hotel-provided lounge chaises and umbrellas.

Our room (Pasion Marina) was private, kept clean, and just simple enough but not bare-bones (we hardly spent time in there, anyway!). Opening our doors at night to fall asleep to the sound of the waves 20 yards from your balconey was just priceless. The balconey of our room had an amazing breeze and although the view was a little obstructed by palm trees and foilage, we could still get a partial glimpse of the turquoise sea.

The food at Casa Banana was fresh and very good. The breakfast is light - coffee, breads, and fresh fruit. We had dinner there one night - a little pricey, but worth it. We ate our lunches at La Zebra (just next door - walked there on the beach) and our other dinners at the small restaurants up and down the street. All the food in Tulum is so good - especially the seafood! We literally watched watermen bring their haul in from the boats on the beach to the restaurants.

Its hard to find anything to say that we didn't like! I suppose the one (and only!) thing I WAS ready to leave was the water in the shower. I didn't know that the hotel used salt water showers. Even then, it was only an issue because I have rough, curly hair, and the salt water showers just weren't cutting it! My new husband learned very quickly what my natural hair looks like!

I keep asking my husband when we can return. Thank you so much to everyone there. You gave us the perfect place to begin an unforgettable honeymoon. I can't wait to come back! It was such an unique and different experience for us; we weren't sure what exactly we were getting into, but I'm SO glad we chose to stay at NVR for the first half of our honeymoon.

Room Tip: We stayed in #7 - Pasion Marina. I don't think I would stay in another room - unless maybe it w...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 651beckyh
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear Becky H:

We are so happy that you have such a great memory of your honeymoon and static that we were able to provide part of that memory. Thank you very very much for such a wonderful review and we will be waiting for you. Don;t forget to open an email form us, once you visit us you immediately become part of the family and we send you a Member code so the next time or time you come back, you will have a 15% discount.
You may also want to try another bungalow or perhaps one of the ocean front suites. Do not hesitate to contact us so we can inform you on our latest news and recommendations.
Warm regards;

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nueva Vida was the last stop on a 2 week vacation in Eastern Mexico. We picked this place because it looked like the perfect destination to unwind after a week of partying in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. We were not disappointed with our choice!

We stayed in a bungalow just off the beach which had 2 twin beds. The resort was quite booked up so my boyfriend and I ended up sleeping in separate beds. We will make sure to book further in advance next time.

The property was very well maintained and beautiful. The rooms were clean, beds were comfy, and rooms were decently sized. It took less than a minute to get to the beach from our doorstep which was very convenient.

We liked that bike rentals were complimentary! Took them for a quick spin and a day trip to Gran Cenote. Be careful on the road though- traffic speeds by at over 100 km/hr. Hug the shoulder as best you can!

The resort is quite far from the main highway; be prepared for this. Our ride dropped us off really late at night and we thought we were lost. There aren't streetlamps so watch out for signs. Bring a flashlight. This will make your evening walks a little safer.

The property is situated in a central area. A couple of great restaurants in the vicinity. Jaguar bar and La Zebra were great and the cafe across the street has complimentary breakfast for hotel guests. They make this awesome homemade bread and have an assortment of goodies which are excellent.

The beach has soft sand and comfy beds for you to lay on. There are a couple hammocks which provide some nice shade. Bring a cooler with you and stock up on water, beer and treats in town. It will save you money;Tulum is expensive. Despite its modest appearance, food/alcohol prices there are comparable to downtown Vancouver B.C. This was surprising to us, and we know for next time to bring more pesos.

The staff was really friendly and was attentive to our needs. We had some issues with travel plans and they made sure we well taken care of, and also gave us an extended check out time.

Being an Eco friendly resort, it was a little more "rustic". I really enjoyed it actually. Nice to get away from big hotel chains and do something different. Not a lot of power outlets or lighting. No irons, hair driers or things that required electricity. Not that big of a deal though. opted for air dried hair and no makeup on this leg of the trip. Was nice to just relax and embrace the hippy lifestyle!

Would definitely return. Thank you Nueva Vida for a great experience!

Room Tip: If you can, request a beach front room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie P

Dear Stephanie P:

What a great and informative review for all the potential future guests. A lot of people have double thoughts about visiting an Eco resort, so it's review like yours that make them cross that barrier and feel safe and look forward to a new yet comfortable experience.
As you mention Tulum is quite expensive, but no need to buy a cooler though, make sure next time to ask for one either when you make your reservation or at front desk. Many guests buy coolers and they leave them behind, and as with everything possible, we recycle them and give them to guests.
And it recommended that you make your reservation with some time ahead, Tulum is one of the fastest growing vacation spots in Mexico, so make sure you can get a king size bed to share next time : ). Warm regards;

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We enjoyed our time here, it was really very quiet. No bothersome noise from the neighbors, everybody relaxed and not a party environment for sure! The rooms were very clean, the first two nights we were in room 20 Coral and then we switched to have 22a Ave de Paraiso so we could have a refrigerator. We definitely liked the 22a more, it was on the second floor so more privacy, space and air-flow. Staff was very friendly, Mariela helped us with our transport when the driver was late to make sure we wouldn't miss our flight.
The only thing that is missing from this property (for me at least) is a restaurant on the beach, although I understand their reasons for not doing it (as they are very very turtle friendly and the lights and noise on the beach would deter turtles from coming ashore). The associated restaurant was very good, but very expensive like all other restaurants in Tulum. Make sure if you want breakfast in you room, to request it early!! There is no charge, and its nice to relax on the terrace while enjoying your coffee!

Room Tip: If you want a cheaper room, go for 22a. Its on the 2nd floor and the $5 for the kitchenette and more...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hotel e

Dear BJMGG:

Thank you very much for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Some guests also agree with you about the restaurant, but as you mention is for a good cause. Also Casa Banana has service to the beach, they start right after breakfast at 11 a.m. until 4 or 5 p.m. depending on the amount of people that still want service. Or booking one of the studios as you did, guests also like to have their own food.
We hope to have you again with us in a near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is fantastic and I will definitely be back. (My review is for a Tulum beach hotel, so it assumes that the reader has done her homework and knows that there are no high-rise buildings, no heavy electric use, no toilets that flush paper, etc… in this part of the country. Also, it assumes you already know that everything here is priced like you’re in NYC and the town is full of fashion industry types.)

My 9-yr-old son and I chose to visit Tulum at this time of year because it is turtle nesting season there and to see the nearby archaeological sites of Tulum and Coba. I’d previously stayed in Tulum at Dreams Resort and thought he’d love visiting the ruins and seeing the iguanas. I was able to find a room (Blanca Duna B) that was only $340 for three nights, which was considerably less than any of the other comparable places I could find, and the price included a breakfast as well as parking. Given the great price, I was a bit wary of what we might get. However, it was immediately clear when we approached the complex that I had made a great choice. The lush gardens were cool and inviting and surrounded the open air reception area and office that felt like a nature preserve office. (We later became friends with Mr. Juanito, the amazing gardener/groundskeeper, who we learned is an actual expert in Mayan plants and healing within his Mayan community.) Upon our arrival we were asked/told to sit down and relax by Ricardo and immediately presented with refreshments. I think he could tell we’d had a long, hot day of travel! We were also given branded beach tote bags that came in handy. The staff used wheel barrows to tote all of our luggage to our rooms and placed it inside for us. From what I’ve read in the comments about the more fashionable spots like Coqui Coqui, this is not something that all hotels offer. In fact, whenever they saw me struggling with something or looking confused, one of them would approach and offer help. The nice thing was that they managed to do this without being intrusive at all. We felt like we had tons of privacy. Compared to the other hotels we passed along the road to Nueva Vida, it was much more “in sync” with the natural environment. While it is modern and stylish, it is appropriately designed to fit within this beach jungle setting, with lots of exposed local woods, curving lines, colors that blend into the flora, and the quintessential palapa rooftops. It doesn’t feel like it’s trying to make a statement the way that Ana y Jose does with its imposing stone facade protruding out of the jungle. In Tulum, a hotel doesn’t need to make a statement. It just needs to offer comfort within the breathtakingly beautiful surroundings, IMHO. After being checked in, we were taken to our room, where we were floored by how nice everything was. We had a spacious private balcony with two chairs and a table and the beds were completely covered (tops and all 4 sides) with gorgeous mosquito netting. There was a nice armoire with a working safe, a writing table, luggage tables, and places to hang our clothing and store our snorkel gear. The beds were very comfortable. I could easily imagine staying there for a week or more. There were large glass doors that provided a stunning jungle view. The bathroom was a complete 3-piece unit so that a person could use the toilet in total privacy while somebody bathed or used the cool alabaster vase vanity or the large mirror above it. Although we weren’t able to get the direct ocean breeze, they provided 4 fans that took care of the ventilation just fine. (Two are over the beds but within the netting so that you can have a direct breeze on you all night long.) I was amazed by how clean everything was given that we were essentially on the beach and the ocean air tends to corrode things like bath fixtures and paint.

The hotel is located on what is probably the absolute best part of the Tulum beach in terms of sand quality and peacefulness. Most importantly for us, the hotel participates in (I think it might be the lead) in the local effort to protect the turtle nesting areas. It does this by removing all beach furniture at night (the beach furniture is hands-down the best on the entire beach – swinging/hanging bed mattresses, full size beach mattresses, comfy wooden chairs, hammocks, you name it) and by turning off all white lights facing the water. This is because furniture can block turtles from finding their way to the nesting spots and the lights scare off the turtles. They also house two nesting sanctuaries on their property where you can observe them up close, and it’s the place where the scientists/volunteers release the baby turtles when they are ready to head to the ocean on their own. We had the incredibly good fortune of witnessing this our first night there. The volunteers let my son and the other children help, and the look of complete awe and wonder in their little faces will stay with me forever. It was truly a priceless moment. The security guards (there is very, very good security there so I felt completely safe wandering around the grounds at all hours alone) are super friendly and will alert you when a mama turtle comes on land to nest in the middle of the night if you ask them. The front desk staff even helped my son convert our regular flashlights into “turtle safe” ones by giving him some red film and duct tape to attach it. We sat out on turtle watch two nights till about midnight and spotted two turtles but they were scared off by tourists who approached them with white flashlights so they didn’t nest while we were there. During the day, there is a lifeguard present as well as a security guard, so we could swim without worry about our iPad or other stuff being stolen, which was really nice.

All of the staff go out of their way to help the guests enjoy themselves. Throughout our 3 nights I kept finding out about more and more things they had to offer. My only “complaint” would be that they have so much to offer that it’s probably impossible for them to explain all this at check-in (they probably did but I was too discombobulated after driving from Piste then climbing Coba earlier in the day that it went in one ear and out the other) that they should probably just print it out and hand it to the guests to review once they’ve got questions. For example, I decided to buy our snacks and lunch food at the grocery store once I realized that the cheaper non-sit-down restaurants all were driving distance away from the beachfront hotels, and ended up buying my own cooler without asking to just borrow one of theirs. They have things like bikes for rent on site, a self-serve espresso machine, extra bottles of water, an assortment of bug sprays, sunscreens, and skin treatments that everyone can help themselves to, and lots of other stuff. The restaurant affiliated with them, Casa Banana, serves delicious food and we had an outstanding dinner there our first night. But as yummy as it was, we weren’t in the mood for such an all-out meal three times a day, so we pretty much just had breakfast there from then on. The breakfast that comes with the room was technically continental, but it was quite filling. The other restaurants are a short walk from the NV reception area (like Hartwood), but take a flashlight to help make your way home along the dark but populated road at night.

Overall, this place offers a fantastic value. This is especially true if you opt for one of the lower priced rooms as I did, but I would still think it was worth the money even if I’d paid for the rooms with more space and direct water views. The friendly staff just can’t be beat. While we were hanging out on the beach, totally out of the blue Mr. Juanito was kind enough to bring over a fresh coconut for us to drink and then he demonstrated how to use a machete to cut it open and eat the meat from the inside. My son is still talking about how cool that was. We can’t wait to return! Note that kids are limited to only certain rooms. Since most people keep their doors open at least during the day, I'd recommend that those who don't want to hear babies crying or kids screeching should stay on the far side of the complex. I was fine with this since I had my own kiddo in tow, but if I were there on a romantic getaway sans my own child, I'd opt to skip any noise associated with other people's children. For other parents, I'd generally recommend that you avoid Tulum if you need things like TV or electronics to entertain your kids or if they won't sleep well without AC. This entire area is truly rustic in that sense but just about 25 minutes to the north you can find more American style hotels that offer the creature comforts that most families need to have an enjoyable vacation. Also, you should be aware that the overall vibe at Tulum is more adult oriented. This isn't a volleyball playing, jet ski sort of beach area. Also, you should be aware that you and your kids may encounter sunbathers without bikini tops or couples being couples. It's an accepting and tolerant sort of place, so expect to see same sex couples enjoying their romantic getaway in the same way that the hetero ones do. If you aren't up for that, then consider staying in Akumal or elsewhere.

Room Tip: The Duna Blanca 5B is one of the lowest price rooms but it is very spacious and comfortable so I'...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Julie M
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear JulieMartinezOrtega:

Can't thank you enough for your review, as we do always do, we shared it with our staff who feel extremely proud when recognized for their work. We really appreciate your review since you mention many of the things we have to offer, you are right, there are many and as much as we try to tell all at check in, we understand that most of our guests have traveled literally for hours to get here and logically just want to put their bathing suits on and jump into the ocean. So we give an overview but it is important for our future guests to know that you can consult and ask us before going out to explore, if we can provide it we will definitely do so, and if not, we will direct you to the best option to obtain it.
Thank you so much again for such a heartwarming review, all that you felt and experience is exactly what we strive for and knowing our guests enjoyed their stay so much, just motivates us to keep improving.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I loved our little bungalow at Nueva Vida! We were in #11 and nothing stood in between us and a gorgeous view of the sand and sea.

The staff was always so helpful - Roger, at the front desk, was always ready with a recommendation and smile. We very much enjoyed trying out the places and adventures he suggested.

The one thing I would say is that the back of bungalow #11 (where the shower and sink is) has windows that face towards other bungalows and a where staff can walk back and forth. Doesn't really make for a very private feel, especially since you'll be in the shower a lot with the humidity and sand and salt water. When we asked for a curtain or something to hang up, we were told that all rooms are like that and they don't have anything.

Other than that, it was a beautiful stay - rooms were cleaned so well each day (to keep the sand out) and being able to have breakfast on our porch from Casa Banana (included in stay) was wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mindy S

Dear Mindy:

Thank you for taking your time to write a review, we are very glad you had a great time with us. we are very sorry that you did not feel enough privacy, We take all of our guests advises very seriously and will surely work as soon as possible on making spot you mention feel more private.
Again thank you for your review and recommendation!!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I will absolutely go back here again, charming lovley place.
1. the place have a great location at Tulum beach
2. clean and nice.
3. fan, no places have air con in Tulum what I have understood because of the problems with electricity
4. 24H electricy, they have it 24H, but they need to keep down the electricity use, that's why they don't use air con.
5. a lot of turtles came up in front of this hotel. we didn't saw anyone though...
6. breakfast that's included: home made bread, homemade banana bread, butter jam and coffee/tea
7. they rent out bikes for 150 pesos for 24H

well I cant say anything else than; I like this place!

Room Tip: we didn't have they biggest budget so we took one of the cheaper room. ask for the room; viente...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

2nd stay at this fabulous hotel and it was just as great as the 1st time!

My husband & I originally planned to stay 3 nights in the pueblo at a different hotel (that shall remain nameless) as we had some excursions planned, we were to later move on to NVR for the rest of our vacation. After 12 hours of traveling, we arrived in the middle of the night at our "nameless pueblo hotel" only to find it closed! This "nameless pueblo hotel" is rated in the top handful here on TA & was by far the biggest disappointment on our trip. Even though they stated they had a guard on staff all night, no one was there. They lied to get our business and we would not recommend anyone to stay there at all! After almost 2 hours of knocking & calls that went unanswered, our very patient transfers driver was nice enough to drive us to NVR on the beach in hopes that they could take us in a few days earlier than planned. The hotel was able to check us in a couple of hours later and luckily our room happened to be available. After such an awful start to our trip, we settled into to NVR and realized that we should have just stayed here from the start. Other than the "nameless pueblo hotel" issue, everyone we encountered on our trip truly went above and beyond. The beach here truly is 2nd to none and there really is no reason to stay anywhere other than on the beach in Tulum. The room was comfortable, staff beyond great, and the beautiful beach was all well worth the trip.

Do yourself a favor, if you are considering staying in the pueblo, just don't. The beach & NVR in particular, are the way to go for a fantastic Tulum vacation. You won't regret it - we've already booked for our next trip! We really love this place and highly recommend to anyone looking for a laid back relaxing time on a beautiful beach with caring and attentive staff with great nearby restaurants. See you soon Nueva Vida!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Solful1

Dear Solful:

What can we say, love to be our guests heroes!! We are very grateful for your review and that we lived up to your expectations on your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay with us and we will keep working hard to make your next stay even better!!!
The warmest regards;