“what we were looking for”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #13 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Wisconsin
“what we were looking for”
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We loved our experience at NV.

Before my husband and I booked a hotel for our honeymoon in Tulum, I spent quite a bit of time looking over the TripAdvisor reviews. They were important in my decision making process so I wanted to return the favor to anyone else who is considering going there.

There was a previous post on here about the generator and construction. Yes, I heard the generator, but it was hardly audible and only once in awhile. The construction noise was not intrusive at all. I didn't know there was construction until we walked past it on the beach. We even commented to each other that, as we were lying on the beach (which was steps from our bungalow), all we could hear was the ocean and how wonderful that was.

We chose Tulum because we didn't want the all-inclusive huge hotels further north on the Yucatan. We wanted somewhere with more privacy and fewer people. Tulum was a GREAT choice for that. At NV, we genuinely felt like we got away, just the two of us, and that was the primary goal.

We wanted something simple and we were on a budget. NV is simple, but they take care of you. We were surprised that the top half of the bungalow wall was just lattice and open to the outside. But no birds, no bugs. It got a little chilly at night, but the staff gave us extra blankets. Accomodations are simple but it was all we needed.

We didn't have to sacrifice a nice beach to have privacy. NV had one of the best stretches of beach on the Tulum hotel zone coast. We ate at NV's restaurant many times, but also recommend Posada Margherita, La Zebra, and Zamas for food.

Don't go to NV if you want a flashy resort, lots of nightlife, air conditioning, or other large hotel amenities. NV is great because it gave us all that we really needed; rest, quiet, beautiful beach, accomodating staff, privacy, relaxation, and it was affordable. I loved it.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelinbadger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
Chicago, USA
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Hello fellow travelers.

I highly recommend this place, and gratefully acknowledge Ricardo and Santiago for saving my vacation. I had arrived the night before from Chichen Itza, and was staying at Trecelunas.

The next morning, an Italian couple and myself checked out of Trecelunas (with a hefty monetary penalty....I will not bore you with the story, but do not stay there -- the photos and description are misleading, and there was no cleanliness or water or kindness) and luckily found Nueva Vida.

It's a beautiful and serene place. My room was on the second floor, and it felt like living in a tree canopy. It was a two minute walk to a beautiful beach, (where you can walk for two hours and just keep seeing lovely sand and sea) and breakfast was included at the Banana Cafe across the street. They serve incredible coffee and everything I tried on the menu was delicious and healthy.

The location is in close proximity of other beach front cabanas. If you like salsa music, walk to "Le Zebra" on Sunday night and watch the beautiful array of people enjoying life. "La Casa Violeta" also had lovely Italian food, and red wine, if you so desire.

I ran into a fabulous Swiss couple who had traveled (what appeared to me) the world, and they also loved Nueva Vida. In fact, they took all of their meals there, and stayed for six days before heading to Guatemala and Baja. I only wish I had not lost a day when I first arrived in Tulum, and that I had been able to spend my four days with Nueva Vida.

I felt like a person, and not just a tourist. And it's eco-travel (solar and wind powered) so you do not feel like a consumer. Bravo, Nueva Vida!

• Liked — the ease of the location, the beauty, and the attention to detail (welcoming without intrusion)
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 December 2008

First Time reviewing a hotel. This place is just absolutely fantastic. The service is great. We had a cabin right on the beach and every morning our breakfast was brought to our little front porch on time.... They helped us with everything from airport transportation to deliver my banana margaritas to the beach. Do not make mistake. This place is just the best!!!!!

Stayed December 2008
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Reviewed 17 November 2008

For my seventh time to Tulum, I finally chose Nueva Vida de Ramiro, and the only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner! I stayed in Alma del Mar which, like all of the bungalows, is set in a beautiful tropical garden on the best stretch of beach of the entire Mexican Caribbean. I'll let my pictures of this awesome place speak for themselves instead of going on and on.

Wow, this is the perfect place to relax and recharge, chilling out in paradise!

The service was excellent, which makes all the difference. The manager and staff were attentive and always available and cheerful. Ricardo, the manager, knows you by name!

The security on the property was good and safety was not a concern. There was a guard on watch from dusk till after dawn.

NVR is a great value! There is only one other place I would consider that is in the same price range, but NVR's cabins are probably better quality overall and more private and have more character and variety of choice. Unlike what I have experienced at the other place, NVR's reservations was smooth, reliable, and professional.

It was so sad to have to leave, but I'll be back!!

• Stayed November 2008
4 Thank kennethgardnergmail
ashland, KY
Reviewed 16 October 2008

A beautiful place, but safety a concern.

After reading the reviews on trip advisor we decided to stay here in the cabana Alma del Mar for our honeymoon. The accomodations were great. right on the beach and beautiful. We even got the oportunity to release baby sea turtles our first night there. That was about the end of our wonderful honeymoon.

One night as we went to dinner, our cabana was broken into. The doors and the safe were locked when we left, we double checked this, and they were locked when we returned. But someone had broken in, unlocked the safe and took all of our money and all of my wifes jewlery then locked the safe back. they also took a brand new digital slr camera hidden in the bottom of luggage that was purchased to take our wedding photos. The management says that there are only two keys to the safe, the one we had, and the one the staff has. I wasnt concerned about the money or the camera itself, but all of our honeymoon pictures are lost, and the first ring i bought for my wife is gone. The owners called the police and they never showed up so they said we would go to the police station at 9am in the morning. when we showed up at the front desk, they said the owner was coming in and wanted to go too and it would be about 2 more hours. After waiting till 3pm, we decided to eat lunch and when we went to the desk, the owner was there. when we saw him we realized he had been there all day and was entertaining business associates. So i guess we werent a priority. When i told him of the loss he suggested we buy a new camera and ring and come back another time for a second honeymoon. Not what we wanted to hear.

The next night when we left for dinner with a couple from memphis and while we were gone, the cabana was broken into again. But we didnt have anything left to steal. When the police was called this time, they showed up within 5 minutes to take our complaint and told us to go to the station the next day to fill out a report. The next day we spent almost 4 hours filling out a police report and were told our valuables probably wont be found. After this break-in we were concerned over our safety and the hotel staff moved us to a 2nd story room.

The management of the hotel Ricardo and Santiago are truly wonderful people. You can tell the incidents really bothered them. Ricardo spent his day with us at the police station being a translator and increasing the security patrols of the cabanas. I thank you both for your concern. Your boss should be glad he has people with integrity like you running his business.

I do not know who broke into the cabana, but if there are only two keys, and I know it wasnt me, then who?

Needless to say we wont forget this honeymoon and I encourage all travelers to this area to stay alert and keep your valuables with you at all times.

• Liked — eco friendly and right on the beach.
  • Disliked — easy to break into
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
14 Thank kyshine
boston,ma
Reviewed 20 September 2008

This is such a long overdue review, ive felt the need to write about it here because it's such an incredible/magical place!

After doing so much research on the hotels in Tulum, we decided to go with Nueva Vida, and it was so great. We were a 6 person group, all in our twenties staying in a bungalow. The staff were SO friendly and hospitable. They were incredibly helpful with directions, things to do, tips on where to go and when. they also said they'd come knocking on our bungalow if they saw turtles nesting on the beach at night so we'd come take a look.

The bungalow itself was very clean and quaint. Our view wasn't that great as there was a bungalow between us and the beach, but we had a large terrace, a hammock and a semi beach view so we were happy. i didnt see one bug in the bungalow the whole time we were there. the showers are a salt water/fresh water mix, but honestly it wasn't so bad..the only downside is that june was a very sticky, humid month and the salt mix just made us feel stickier, but if u go during any time of the year the showers are enjoyable and perfectly refreshing. our bungalow was cleaned every single day too. if u go during the summer months, be sure to take a bungalow with an ocean view, so that u can get a strong cool breeze into your room at night.

we LOVED having breakfast at Casa Banana, the staff there were absolutely lovely! and cooked us delicious breakfasts every single morning. their mayan coffee is AMAZING and their smoothies are divine (which they bring to the beach).

the beach in tulum is absolutely divine, we felt like we had the whole beach to ourselves. i would DEFINITELY recommend staying at Nueva Vida if you want to have an amazing Tulum experience. dont leave without discovering the cenotes, and dont forget to take a stroll down the beach at night during a full moon, its breathtaking.

• Liked — service and hospitality
  • Disliked — no A/C during summer months
  • Stayed June 2008
4 Thank funkychickan
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I have to admit we were a little taken aback at first, the room was Ola, it was all wood with wood shutter-type windows, and none of were used to staying on the breach in a tropical climate- it was damp inside and warm, but the location was absolutely stunning. The staff were so sweet. Casa Banana serves the best Chiapas coffee and their mole is delicious, as are their drinks and smoothies. Zog is the coolest dog- tell him hi for me.
I may need a/c next time I visit, but I'm a wimp. The beach could not be beat. We attended a wedding next door at La Zebra and we just walked down the beach about 50 yards to get there. When we left they were building a turtle habitat on the beach- so cool. I miss Tulum and La Nueva Vida already.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple