“Toes in the beautiful water”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #13 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Austin, Texas
“Toes in the beautiful water”
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Location: Tulum is a long beach, but I picked NvR by looking at aerial photos to see where the water was most free of rocks. The water and sand were beautiful and quiet. We stayed in Amor Eterno, which was only steps from the water. Room: the room was rustic, as we expected, but fine for the price. The first night was cool due to a big storm, but the second two nights the heat made it hard to sleep, especially after my husband turned off the fan "because it squeaked". We never figured out how to use the room safe. Restaurant: the free brekky had beautiful fruit and bread, but the dinner menu was a bit limited, a bit of chicken and fish, but no beef. Bonus: we got to help release some turtle hatchlings one night - cool!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank kehoewood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
surrey
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This place was on the best stretch of beach in the more remote part of Tulum. The beach was quiet and the sea wonderful. The room we stayed in was lovely and with great views. (extasis) What really made this place however was the owners, They treated us as part of the family and made our stay really special. This was one of 4 hotels we stayed in for our honeymoon and it was by far the best.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank osaSurrey
New York
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Nueva Vida de Ramiro lives up to its reviews! I felt that it was the most fairly priced eco-hotel on the Tulum Beach. We stayed in our own cabana, no neighbors on either side for quite a ways, and that made the room feel even more secluded. Even though it is a big place comparatively, it feels intimate and private. Our room was kept clean and free of sand which is a big accomplishment considering. The room had plenty of ocean breeze and fans so lack of a/c was not a problem. The lights are low wattage so bring a flashlight to read in bed. The deck was huge and a great place to lounge. I can't say enough about it. There was a guard at night - it made me feel safe about leaving my camera to charge in the reception area. The food at Casa Banana - breakfast included - was delicious and fresh. Oh, and best of all, we got to see baby sea turtles hatch and get released into the ocean! Once in a lifetime experience! My one suggestion is this: we drank way more water than the one liter a day provided. I recommend placing a large water dispenser in reception where one could go to refill bottles. Would only cost pennies per liter and cut down on plastic usage, but also give guests more water to drink. Overall, we loved the charm of the place!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 16 August 2009

This is really really a lovely place to stay. We stayed in the Deseo cabana, which is located in the Zona Corazon part of Nueva Vida. There a 3 villas/buildings all separated in a top level cabana and a lower level cabana. Ours was on the top, but top and bottom seem to be designed the same way. Each have a terrace with two deck chairs and a table, with a breathtaking view on the beach. In front of each 3 houses there is a private area separated from the beach by wood barriers, where there is a hammoc, a large beach mattress, two deck chairs and a small table.
Every morning they clean the beach, and set up a double beach mattress with cushions aswell as 2 beach chairs and a small folding table. I walked all along the beach and I can tell you Nueva has the best strech of beach, because it is wide, clean ans most important not crowed because the resort spread out. We really noticed other places where the beach was not clean and bull of seaweed and plastic bottles... and the beach chairs or mattress were all ligne next to one another...
The bedroom is spotless clean, the cleaning is done everything morning and they change towels and sheets every 2 days.
Again a really great great restfull place to stay. Staff is super nice and helpful!
Would go back anytime!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank liennyc
Maine
Reviewed 17 July 2009

For us, Nueva Vida lived up to its reviews. Helpful staff, clean accommodations, and unbeatable setting. Do not expect mints on the pillows and nine bottles of shampoo. Do expect a clean and lovely place to stay with a relatively light environmental footprint. Renewable sources of electricity 24/7 (we still brought a batter-operated reading lamp for bedtime reading); no in-room plugs (one can recharge cell phones and such elsewhere on grounds) -- we enjoyed the sun and sand w/out feeling like we were doing horrendous damage to this exquisite environment. The restaurant that felt overpriced for dinner.

The Tulum part of the Maya Riviera may no longer be the travel steal it was a few decades ago, but it's still a very reasonable way to relax in the sun. The Zona Hotelera offers a range of room and dining options, but we saw few standouts (the restaurant at Posada Margherita is worth visiting if only for the cool Italianos). One doesn't come here first and foremost for culture, but for the sun. That said, the ruins @ Tulum were surprisingly large and interested -- beyond what our guide books told us.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PatrickCarol
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My husband and I sayed in the Alma del Mar cabana. It was beautiful and I loved how close it is to the ocean. We enjoyed lounging in the hammock on the porch. The cleaned the room everyday and changed out the footbath water so you don't track in sand. We didn't use the extra door (from the beach) much, but I could see how it could be useful since it opens up right into the bathroom. They provide a large bottle of water for you everyday, but the shower and sink water is salty...not as bad as the ocean, but not too much better. Taking salty shower was an interesting experience but it provides for lots of memories and laughs after you get back home. Funny story was that we didn't realize how salty it was when we first fill a water bottle with sink water and used our steripen. My husband went to take a big drink but just had to spit it out! :)

Provided:
-- Continental breakfast of fruit, fresh juice, bread, jelly, and very stout coffee (you can even get the breakfast delivered to your room and you can pay for other breakfast options). On our stay the juice was OJ or watermelon!
-- beach lounging and shades
-- boogie boards to help with body surfing in front of the cabanas
-- help booking/arranging activities in the area...only complaint I have is that they made a suggestion and it turned out horrible (but I guess that's more of the fault of the company and not NV).
-- night security guard (he helped us find our room when we arrived at 10PM the first night)
-- they even put what looked like home-made soap in the bathroom
-- they also changed money for us at a good rate

Layout was beautiful. Just a short walk from La Zebra and other places to eat (we never ate dinner at Casa Banana).

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I recently stayed at Hotel Neuva Vida and before going I did ALOT of research trying to find the perfect hotel with everything that we were looking for and I have to say that this hotel is much better in many ways than the other "Cabana Hotels". Many of the Hotels on this stretch of beach say they are beach front or ocean view but they arent but hotel NVR is !!! they have great rooms right on the beach. Trust me! when I got there I also did more research and looked at many of the properties and they were pretty high on the scale. The food was decent and the coffee was great. If you dont mind not having air conditioner and t.v. your fine. BUT!!!!! we had our camera stolen and two credit cards and I sent an email telling this to them (we didnt discover this till we got home) and I never got a response. We also left a very expensive pillow there and in my email I asked if they could email it and again no response. I did find at this hotel that your pretty much on your own and forget about any pampering. The daughter (sorry forgot her name) was very friendly but she was about the only one who really went out of her way to make us feel welcome. Some of the waiters were just down right rude!! and here is a tip! go to town and purchase an ice chest and ice because they dont like to give you any and they only provide one water to your room daily. To be fair I am used to traveling very high end so my expectations were a little high but one would expect to get a response about stolen property and at the very least an apology. I dont find the hotel responsible because they do have a safe and I did warn my companions to keep all valubles in the safe at all times. But if your looking to feel welcome...Ummmm ???? overall For your money this is a good bet .

2 Thank 1Lorrie