“Relaxing getaway”

Ranked #14 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Austin, Texas
“Relaxing getaway”
Reviewed 26 January 2011

My boyfriend and I spend 8 days last December in Nueva Vida. The bungalow "Suspiro" in the Corazon area was great, super clean and only a few feet away from the amazing Tulum sea...this was my first time to see something that blue!!!
Nueva VIda was not the cheapest one in the area but it was worth every "peso".
The staff was very helpful and they where always smiling. Ricardo the manager recomended great activities that the locals enjoy, nothing too touristy! That was great for us!
We had our breakfast in our "terraza" every morning with amazing coffee, home made banana bread and papaya marmalade. Like the owner told us, "this is the perfect place to do nothing".
Despite all the news and the rumors about insecurity in Mexico I have to say that we felt very safe all the time in Tulum. The place seams to be easy going with people riding their bikes and walking at nignt. Excellent places to eat too!!
Can't wait to go back !!!
GM

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gmc2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I'll be blunt...this review is such a bummer to write. We were at Nueva Vida in November, and we had an amazing experience. This was actually our second time there in 3 years, and it was just as good, if not better, than the first experience. The staff, the food, the 'ritas, the location...all outstanding. We got engaged our first night here, so this hotel and beach are incredibly special to us, but I can't say that we will return.

So, right...let's get to the vermin. We both travel quite frequently for work, so I always take a quick look at the bedding and mattress to make sure they seem okay. Looked here, all was seemingly fine, but after the first three nights I started noticing welts on my legs and feet in the morning. I never get bug bites (my fiance gets devoured usually), so I chalked it up to starving mosquitoes. By the time we left, I had a few dozen bites, but I still didn't suspect bedbugs. Three nights after getting back home, we both woke up with new bites on our feet...and I totally connected the dots (no pun intended) and freaked out. I've been battling these *****ers ever since, and have contained them to one room, but I still get one bite every 5-6 days, and then have to re-sterilize everything. Eventually I know we'll get rid of them, but this has been a NIGHTMARE to deal with, and I would NOT wish it on anyone.

I contacted the hotel as soon as we figured it out, but never heard back. I'm sure they took care of it, but I'm nervous about going back after this experience. I don't blame Nueva Vida for the bedbugs...it could have been that the guest before us stayed somewhere and then brought them in.

So, have your dream vacation here, it will be perfect...but wrap all your clothes in trash bags for the trip back, and then leave your suitcases outside and disinfect them and your belongings before coming into your house. Sounds paranoid, but trust me...I'm a completely non-paranoid, adventurous traveler, but no way am I going through this again!

5 Thank sandbetweenourtoes11
NUEVAVIDARAMIRO, Owner at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Dear sandbetweenourtoes11,

My name is Emilio Cadena, and I'm the Director of Nueva Vida de Ramiro and part of the family that owns the hotel.

I want to thank you for visiting our hotel for the second time in 3 years and for taking the time to give us an honest review. I am disturbed that your vacation went wrong and caused you problems at home. We take this type of situation very seriously and have taken corrective and preventive actions to make sure that this does not happen again.

This is the first time we have encountered bedbugs in our hotel in the last 10 years. This problem could obviously happen anywhere since, as you mentioned, a prior guest probably brought the pests in. I thank you for your graciousness in saying that you don't blame us for what happened. I certainly don't question your account, but, interestingly enough, a specialist that we brought in was unable to find any of the pests in our hotel. Neverthess, we brought in a specialist to replace all of the linens at the hotel. We also called the other hotel guests to make sure they were not affected by this problem, which they haven’t.

I will also like to discard the mattress of the cabin in question, for but this I need some help from you to make sure which cabin it was. The specialist checked all of them without any trace of bedbugs but would still like to do it for that specific bed. Below you can see my emial, if you give me your contact information I would love to contact you about it.

We do have a process in place where we have a specialized fumigation company come in once a month to clean every room of the hotel. This company has first-class products imported from the United States that, at the same time, are environmentally friendly, which is a MUST for us since conservation of nature and sustainability are the two of the core values of our hotel.

I am aware that what I have said so far does not ease the trouble that you have experienced. As a consolation to you, I wish to offer you a large discount on your next stay with us as well as on subsequent visits, so please contact me about the details. I really hope will you give us a chance to host you again in this amazing paradise, our home, Nueva Vida de Ramiro.

Emilio
emilioc@prodensa.com.mx
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I recently had a wedding reception in Tulum with about 30 close friends - I booked Nueva Vida as accommodations for about half of my guests. I did some SERIOUS research at hotels in the area -- looking at reviews, quality of rooms, price and after doing tons of research, talking to friends who have visited Tulum, and finally going there myself, I think Nueva Vida is an INCREDIBLE deal for the price of the rooms.

I booked a range of rooms from $100/night to $180/night - I stayed in a bungalow in the corazon area for $180/night -- and the room was simply BEAUTIFUL. VERY large and spacious -- lovely decor (very colorful, cool, beachy), incredible private balcony with view of the beach, huge bed, big bathroom. One of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in, ESPECIALLY at that price. I was elated! The best part is Nueva Vida is an ECO-resort -- but we had hot water, no bugs/insect issues, great bathroom facilities -- no problem at all on that end! All of my friends were delighted with their rooms!

The hotel is located right on the most gorgeous beach I have ever seen - and the hotel puts out lovely cushion beds (not chairs, but BEDS) ON the beach with umbrellas for you to lounge on.

The staff was just WONDERFUL -- so incredibly helpful, friendly, and patient. Not only through the booking process (which was tedious since I had a lot of guests- thank you Roger!), but also in helping with logistics for the weekend (booking taxis, exchanging money, etc.).

I had one meal at the restaurant - which is BEAUTIFUL, open air, decorated with dark wood, stone, and has a large woodfire oven burning - really nice - only downside is its not ON the beach, but the decor and style of the restaurant was gorgeous and the food delicious although a tad expensive.

The location is a little bit away from the other hotels. Upside - more privacy, seclusion, you feel like the beach is yours! Downside - if you want to check out restaurants, bars, other spots, you have to walk a bit or grab a taxi (which are everywhere!) for a quick 3 minute ride to other hotels. fyi mosquitoes were no joke at night -- so lather up with some serious repellent if you are out and about.

Myself and all my guests were infinitely happy with Nueva Vida -- I wholeheartedly recommend them for your trip to Tulum!

1 Thank mreddy10003
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I have been to Nueva Vida de Ramiro the last 6 times of my 12 visits to Tulum, and this stay was the most magical. I never tire of this most excellent hideaway for unwinding and relaxing! When I arrived and was walked to my cabin in the dark along the jungle paths with the breeze blowing, the stars shining, and the waves crashing, it felt like the first time in this amazing ecological paradise of nature. The staff was amazing, as usual, in the hotel and in Casa Banana, NVR's restaurant. Even though a couple days were cloudy, I was still happy to be hanging out here. And, as usual, I looked around at all the other Tulum hotels, but only confirming to myself that there isn't another place in Tulum (or anywhere) that I would rather be!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 29 December 2010

You must go and sit on this porch! It absolutely took us to a place of awe. The thatched roof casa "Alma Del Mar" was so full of Mexican charm. The service was great through out the time we stayed there. The bed was comfortable, Walks on the beach were fun with coral and shells scatter here and there in the soft white sand. There is a huge pc of drift wood just waiting to be in a picture. Be sure to enjoy a meal delivered to your porch.
Lots of places to eat

Belgium
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We stayed 4 nights at La Nueva Vida (10-13 December), third visit of Tulum, but first time in this resort.

It was just what we were looking for and it was exactly what we thought it would be. We stayed in room Nostalgia which seemed to be a good choice. Staff was very friendly and helpfull.

They have the largest part of beach of all resorts and the beach is gorgeous. Each morning they give you private two-persons-beds on the sand.

The included breakfast in Casa Banana is continental, so it's not really "filling", but it's good and healthy. And if you want you can order eggs or something else (against payment). Had dinner twice at Casa Banana ... also very good.

Will we return ? Sure !

Carl & Anja

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bananen
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 26 December 2010

My sisters and I stayed in the cabana La Ola for 5 nights and 6 days. It is an awesome cabana with the best view. The only issue I had was that when we reserved it, there was a bed on the main floor and then one in a loft. When we got there they told us that renovations had been done. The loft was gone and one of us was expected to sleep on a cot. It wouldn't have been bad if the cot hadn't been the most uncomfortable thing ever!! Had to take the cushion off the couch and use it. Also there wasn't a mosquito net over the cot and when I asked about one, they didn't say anything(got eaten alive first 2 nights). Fortunately we ran into the owners of the cabana and they had a mosquito net installed that day! Overall a great place, great price and would go again(as long as mosquito nets are provided :/).

• Stayed December 2010