“Like Staying with Family”
Review of Casa de las Olas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Casa de las Olas
Ranked #1 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

My son and I visited Casa de las Olas in early April of 2013 for three nights. It was our first trip to Tulum. We had a fantastic spring break and fond memories that will last a lifetime.

The best way to sum up the stay is to compare it to staying at the beachfront bungalow of a rich college friend from years past or family. Jimmie and Sam makes you feel as you're old friends. They are helpful without ever being intrusive. Jimmie is indeed the maestro of "making things happen" as previously mentioned in other reviews. For a foodie like me, he referred me to mouthwatering authentic hole-in-the walls where they served pork tacos, seafood, or even ice cream fruit bars that would send Anthony Bourdain into ecstasy. It's not just great native food but the total experience...the smell, the people, really experiencing the best of daily Mexican cuisine.

The only downside to Jimmie's recommendations was that I ate out all the time instead of hanging out for dinner around Jimmie and the other hotel guests during the evening. Jimmie grills these shrimp that he flavors with only salt, olive oil, and lime. The taste is sublime.

As for the lodging itself, the rooms are literally steps from the beach. You can hear the waves from your bedroom. Since the lodging is literally next to the Sian Kian reserve, it's practically secluded besides the other guests. No worries there, I don't think there's more than a half dozen rooms in the whole place.

I've debated for months over whether to write this review bc I really didn't want to share the secret but Jimmies a great guy and he's got a great place. There's no other way to describe it other than to see for yourself.

Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank BubbaChang
casadelasolas, Director of Possibilities at Casa de las Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Bubba,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our well kept secret spot. :) We love the way you summed up how being at our villa felt as we feel the same about our guests.... friends and family. We enjoyed sharing breakfast tacos at our favorite little cochinita pabil place and helping to introduce your son to the beautiful culture of Mexico.

Know that you are both always welcome back whenever you find the time... and rest assured we will continue hitting the pavement in search for more hidden food gems in Tulum.

-Sam & Jimmy

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had a great time here, the room was so comfortable with fab views of the sea and Jimmy and Sam made us feel really welcome and their recommendations ensured that we made the most of our limited time here.
The beach was beautiful and we loved swimming in the waves each morning. Definitely THE place to stay when you visit Tulum!

Room Tip: We did not have a room with a kitchen, however there was a thoughtfully provided fridge so it didn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindy394
casadelasolas, Director of Possibilites at Casa de las Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Lindy394,

Thank you for all the kind words regarding our staff and property and for taking the time to share this experience on TripAdvisor. It was a true pleasure to meet both you and your husband in our little slice of paradise. Thanks for the great company in sharing our morning coffee & chats... getting to know both of you was such a delight. We hope you had an incredible time in New York and enjoyed our off-the-beaten-path recommendations there as well. We look forward to sharing more stories and adventures with you in the future!

Warm Regards from Tulum,
James & Sam

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Casa de las Olas is wonderful. We stayed in the big suite on the ground floor, which was so spacious and great if you wanted to cook for yourself (which we did). The property is right at the end of the beach road, and so a little distance from most of the restaurants and bars. You probably need a bike or a car to get around, as it gets dark quite early and there aren't many lights down in Tulum beach. But this is a really lovely place, so peaceful and slightly off the beaten track. There is something really unique about having the waves crashing only about 15m from your bed...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TJOxford
casadelasolas, Manager at Casa de las Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear TJOxford,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers and for the gracious review. We're happy to hear that your family had a lovely time in Tulum on our property. Please know you are all always welcome here whenever you find you need a space to rejuvenate.

Cheers from Tulum!
Sam

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Took a trip down to Riviera Maya late August. First stop was Casa De Las Olas in Tulum.

First off, it is not as hard to get to as you may think. Make sure to use the concrete arch as your benchmark. If you pass it, then you have gone too far.

Now for the good stuff: This was without a doubt one of our best stays ever. The location is unbeatable, the accommodations fantastic and you practically have the beach all to your self.

Additionally, Jim (or Jimmy), the owner is a wonderful and gracious host. He directed us to the best places to eat which where fantastic (make sure to ask about the cochinita pibil place and the adoboada tacos!). He was also instrumental in some sightseeing places. COBA was magnificent and we would not have gone there had it not been for Jim.

But, if you just go and stay at Casa De Las Olas and never leave this place, believe me, you will absolutely more than fine!

Thank you Jim! We had a fantastic time and definitely will be back. Came as guests, left as friends!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
casadelasolas, Director of Possibilities at Casa de las Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Allen A,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We're so happy we were able to provide an excellent experience for both you and your wife.

Looking forward to hosting you in the future and sharing more incredible tacos at our top secret cochinita pibil spot!

Sam & James

Reviewed 9 September 2013

What can I say but I return again and again to Casa de las Olas. The rooms are comfortable, beautiful and clean. Love the beach too! Tulum is a great spot to unwind, but also a good home base for so many excursions.

Room Tip: I've stayed in almost every room. I really like them all.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Jaja,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Casa de las Olas with other travelers. We are so glad that you had yet another excellent stay with us. We're looking forward to hosting you for our upcoming sustainable food workshop.

See you soon for a week of exquisite meals, beach relaxation, adventures and fun!

Sam & James

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was my second time staying at Casa de las Olas and just like the first time I stayed here in 2012, I had a great time. I was in Mexico for about a week and a half and spent most of it in Playa Del Carmen. After spending 3 days in Tulum at the casa, I realized how much more I enjoyed Tulum. One of the main reasons why I enjoyed Tulum was because of the staff at Casa de las Olas.

Sam was very helpful and friendly with the bookings. The rest of the staff was always warm, friendly and inviting. Antonio brought a fresh coconut on the beach after I spent hours bodyboarding in the water. Jimmy knows all the best places to eat. He took me and 2 other guests to the best Tacos Al Pastor place we've ever had. The next morning we had the best pork tacos. They were so good that I ate 6 of them and still wanted more. On my last day there, he took me to a great seafood restaurant where we ordered takeout.

The rooms were very clean and refreshing. It was great to sleep and wake up to the sounds of the waves crashing on the shore. If you are looking for a relaxing place to spend your time in Tulum, this is the place. If you need anything, the staff and Jimmy will go above and beyond to give you what you need. You will never get this kind of value in Mexico. I have stayed in a lot of places in Mexico and by far Casa de las Olas is my favourite. I am looking forward to my next rejuvenating stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Joe30s,

Thank you for choosing Casa de las Olas again for your stay in Tulum and for the kind words regarding our staff. It was a pleasure hosting you as always and we're glad you enjoyed your quick getaway. We look forward to seeing you in the future and sharing more hidden gems and great eats with you in Tulum!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

A very private and environmentally friendly property, well serviced by a personalized team of 4 (Jimmy, Sam, Antonio & Mara). It's comfortable & casual - do whatever you want, whenever you want. As a solo traveller, I felt very at home and safe. The sound of the waves (24 x 7) was absolutely refreshing and invigorating............easy access to the beach and it was amazing that I could be a "beach-bum" for 5 days!!!! A fantastic place to rest, relax & rejuvenate. Loved it....:)

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
casadelasolas, Manager at Casa de las Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear Jong_66,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Casa de las Olas with other travelers. We are so glad that you had a pleasant stay and were able to successfully unplug and relax! It was a pleasure meeting you and sharing a few special dinners together. Please know you are always welcome here whenever you find you need a space to rejuvenate. We look forward to hosting you and your wonderful friend in the future!

Warm Regards from Tulum,