“Overpriced, owners not too helpful”

Lo Nuestro Petite Hotel
Ranked #77 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Sydney, Australia
“Overpriced, owners not too helpful”
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed in December so maybe that's why it was overpriced and poor value for money. Wouldn't want to stay in summer months- the rooms have poor ventilation and are extremely hot with loud aircon that doesn't work too well.
Breakfast not included. I didn't know they do a cooked breakfast for a price as I wasn't told this (or anything, such as where it get water to drink) when I arrived.
If going to Tulum get accomodation at the beach not in town. It's a short taxi away but why bother? The town is boring, I'd rather have woken up to the beach on my doorstep.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank NeecydeLaFontaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 9 January 2013

What a great surprise! The owners, Mira and Jorge, are really lovely warm people, they welcomed us in the greatest way.
If you, as us, don't like - actually we hated - Cancun/Playa dC American Mexi-Disneyland (luxury, fake Mexico, big hotels, villages and condos, mass tourism, fake smiles, americanized food, crowded and loud beaches, organized packages and tours for everything etc etc ...), Tulum is the place to be and this small family hotel is the place to be in Tulum.
Four days in this cute hotel and their lovely owners definitely saved our vacation and made us feel so well after the northern area disenchantment.
We indeed loved the place - in a real Mexican street - the rooms are simple but furnished with character and colors ... but by far the best attraction are the owners Mira and Jorge: they in particular treated us as their friends, they gave us everyday suggestions on what to do around, on the spots around they do like and they turned what initially seemed a lousy vacation start-up into really a great vacation!
We hope that Tulum, with people as them, will be able to resist to the attempts, already unfortunately visible, of Tourism Industry to destroy and commercialize also this beautiful place (so hurry up guys, go there until possible)... and that the wonderful places and people we met will stay there for the future generation intact.
Thanks again Mira and Jorge!!
Maurizio & Luana

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maurizio Z
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed here for one night as we took a detour away from Cancun and I must say we chose the hotel based on trip advisor reviews. We weren't disappointed!

From the outside you could never guess what a gem was hidden off the dusty beaten road. Upon arrival we were greeted by Miroslava who was extremely welcoming with an infectiously wicked laugh! :-)

We were led through the cosy courtyard of timeless wrought iron chairs and tables and up the spiral wooden steps to the wooden terrace.

The thatched roof in the middle of the square tearrace made along with a lush green canopy and individual hammocks gently swinging in the soft breeze made it feel like we'd stepped into an oasis of spa-like calm.

Our room was equally tranquil, decorated in soft teracotta hues and a soft light coming from the charming hanging wooden lights. Authentic Mexican throws on the beds threw a splash of colour in the otherwise serene room whilst traditional artifacts were cleverly arranged around.

There was clan water in a cooler that you can help yourself with using the authentic pottery cups - a bonus.

Main road a 2min walk away, taxis to the beach 60 pesos.

Exceptionally clean, I cannot recommend enough this little hidden haven of paradise.

Room Tip: We had a peek in the other room as they were being turned out - the rooms directly opposite the top...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Jorge and his wife are very lovely people. We were greeted by our first name and by his super friendly terrier dog. Although we only stayed one day with them it felt like a longer time. They had a very unique hotel for the Tulum area, full of vegetation and relaxed atmosphere. Our room was very clean and spacious, with functioning AC/internet (a must for us). Also I was feeling a bit of stomach indigestion and luckily Jorge had the solution. Jorge also provided great insight on low cost adventures as well as places to eat. He was kind enough to let us leave our luggage without any worries while we went to the ruins and enjoyed the beautiful playas of Tulum. For the price we paid and the amenities we received, its one of the best bargains in Quintana Roo, especially when you compare Tulum to the commercialized and tourist infested Playa del Carmen and Cancun. Overall if we are ever back in Tulum, we would definitely stay in Lo Nuestro Petit again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I was in the suite as the other rooms were booked. It was a big beautiful room, I loved the big bath tub in the room and the decor was very nice. The owners were amazingly helpful and super nice!!! :) they had lots of great tips for us to enjoy authentic Mexico.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Beth M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel out of an act of last minute desperation. Our original place was a cabana on the beach but it was disgusting and hot and we decided to venture into the pueblo for a hotel with better accommodations and A/C. We ended up here. This hotel is owned by a couple: the man is mexican and the woman is a french ex-pat but who has been living in Mexico for 25 years. The couple was nice and had excellent information for things to do in Tulum and surrounding area. We appreciated their recommendations for restaurants, places to sight-see and snorkel. The woman was animated and friendly and passionate about all things "authentic" in Mexico. She was not shy about expressing her distaste for commercial or touristy things. Her husband was more quiet, but usually friendly...except when I asked him about the status of my laundry (which I had to pay $5 for 1 small load)...he snapped at me very rudely. This bothered me because I am a very easy going, quiet, and respectful guest and he acted like me asking him about my laundry nearly 5 hours after I gave it to him was such an inconvenience to him. When you're staying at this hotel, you almost feel like you're staying in someone's house. The owners live in the hotel and you feel sometimes like you're tip-toeing around them. When we would leave the hotel in the morning a few times we forgot something in the room and turned around and went back, and the owners would already be in our room to clean it.....we'd have literally been gone 2 minutes. Felt awkward to see them in your room literally 2 minutes after you've vacated it. Nonetheless, I always felt safe here, never felt like they were looking through my stuff, and never felt like my things would go missing. They are truly passionate about their business and making your stay pleasant. I just think a lot of things get lost in translation and cultures are different...which can be confusing and frustrating on both sides.
As far as the rooms are concerned: the beds are comfortable, the sheets were clean and unstained, the a/c was cold, shower and toilet were always cleaned every day. The decorations were simple and standard...but who really comes to Mexico to sit in a hotel? I was simply looking for a comfortable, clean, cool places to sleep. And that's exactly what I found. I would stay here again and I would recommend it to future travelers.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs if you can: owners live on the bottom floor and you'll have more privacy. Walls...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary E
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We were very satisfied with this hotel! It was exactly what we were looking for! My husband and I vacationed in Tulum for 5 days and our hosts at the hotel helped to make our vacation even more excellent!
The husband and wife that own the hotel are very devoted to the area and have lots of great tips about ways to enjoy Tulum and the surrounding area without getting sucked in to tourist traps and spending a lot of money. They gave us a lot of tips about places to go and every recommendation was spot on! We wanted to see the famous sights as well as the less famous ones without involving tourist-geared-tours on buses full of hawaiian-shirt-clad white people, and that is exactly what we got. Our host gave us maps and directions, and also rented us snorkels at a price much cheaper that what is charged at the beach. (But bringing your own snorkel might be even cheaper!) We had a great experience with them, but it probably did help that we both speak Spanish, and had similar ideas as the hosts about how to enjoy a vacation.
Our room was simple but charming, and comfortable. The hotel had a pretty court yard and was peaceful. It's not ritzy and is located on a non-descript side street, but is very close to the square and to the center of Tulum. And as a bonus, there was an AMAZING taco stand just down the street on the way to the main drag through town. It was a perfect breakfast spot on our way out every morning!
Tulum is a great town to visit and Lo Nuestro is a great base for your exploration!

Room Tip: We were in a room that didn't have a jacuzzi tub, which was fine for us. Yes, you have to squee...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple