“lady owner seems like a theme here”

Lo Nuestro Petite Hotel
Ranked #79 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Very friendly on arrival.
Booked 2 nights but decided to cut short to one night after booking online.
To say this was difficult was an understatement!
Room good size, with ensuite.
Taxi to beach and ruins.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stuman1

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My partner and I stayed at Lo Nuestro when we visited Mexico in March. He and I enjoyed our stay; the proprietors were excellent.

Our room, though simple, provided great comfort and was a steal. The hotel is very well kept and the room was extremely clean. Although we had a small leak in our sink while there, Jorge made sure to take care of it right away! We only wanted to let the owners know so that they did not have troubles down the road. Still, Jorge made sure to fix the leak within one day.

There is a beautiful courtyard where you can sit out and have breakfast for a very nominal fee. The coffee is excellent.

The location of this hotel is within walking distance to the downtown area. The downside is that it isn't close to the beach. However, if you like biking, it is very inexpensive to rent bikes (my partner and I did just that!!) and you can get to the beach in no time. Also, taxi rates are inexpensive and readily available.

I've seen many reviews of this hotel and I think that the owners are a bit misunderstood. They are a very intelligent couple who hold strong personal beliefs on "outsiders." If you are deterred by debates and individuals who are biased against excess, then you may not have a good stay here. However, if you are interested in the world, people and do not find yourself looking for extreme glamor and pampering, you'll love this space... it is for you. If you're looking for a resort removed from Mexico and what Tulum has to offer then you'll be at home here.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrea V
Reviewed 18 May 2013

If you're interested in being based downtown, this is a quiet, if a little overpriced, option. It's easy to a take a taxi to the beach so I preferred being closer to more restaurants and nightlife. It is a small family owned hotel and the owners are a little fussy. They keep the gate locked and sometimes aren't there to open it, they have a long spiel when you get to your room about what to do and not do. Can't flush toilet paper. Hammocks ont he balcony were a nice touch. Rooms are very simple. Bathroom mirror was the size of a salad plate.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony with a hammock.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JohnR7714
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Clean room, but strange layout, with an open solution to the bathroom which was not too convenient. AC was making a lot of noise. We were greeted by the couple who owns it when we arrived in the afternoon. They had been drinking, and the woman (which never presented herself with her name) could hardly stay straight. She was constantly repeating whatever we said. It was quite bizarre. But the situation got even more awkward when we asked about their laundry service. The woman got very mad, for no reason, giving us a lecture on the tropical climate, and that we could not wash our clothes in the room - which was not what we wanted anyway. The next day we wanted to order their breakfast. When asking what was included in the "mexican breakast" the woman gets bothered, leans on a table, sighs, and asks us "how many times have you been in Mexico?". We didn't want another lecture so we decide to have breakfast elsewere as the atmosphere was not very pleasant, and we didn't feel very welcome. The man was quite helpful and freindly though. But we felt like we were intruding their space when entering and leaving the hotel, which was not a good feeling.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
12  Thank Snowna
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I booked 3 nights at Lo Nuestro with a friend of mine in January 2013. In terms of cleanliness, all is good. The room was also very cute. The mattress was a little hard but nothing to prevent me from having a good night of sleep. Location is good for Tulum centro. Note that the bathroom walls don't go all the way to the roof so you will hear the other person if you share a room... not sure if it's like that in all rooms. Where I was disapointed was with the service I received from the owner (the woman, not Jorge).

On the first night we were there, I washed my delicates by hand in the sink (i think its pretty normal to do that, but maybe I'm the weirdo here). I was hopping to give the rest of my laundry to the owner the morning after since they offer the laundry service.

When I got out of my room in the morning to get a coffee, the owner started to lecture me about the fact that I had done some laundry (delicates) in my room. (She had seen them drying on my balcony). At first I almost thought it was a joke, but she continued on saying "i seemed like such a nice guest" (washing my panties and bras by hand makes me an awful visitor?), saying that washing clothes in the sink was prohibited and that I knew it, and that it would ruin the sink and she would have to call in someone to fix it. (I had seen a small sign in the room with the rules, one was: do not wash. I truly thought that it meant do not clean the room since the mop and cleaning products were stored in our bathroom. I read the spanish translation later which was way clearer: no lave la ropa). Anyway, she went on and on, even asking if it was because I was too cheap to pay for the laundry. I was very insulted and stopped her saying I didn't deserve that treatment. She then continued to complain to her partner/husband in Spanish thinking I didn't understand (I do understand Spanish).

It was the weirdest thing and worst treatment I have ever had in a hotel. That woman speaks French and French is my first language so it was not a communication problem. The reviews i had read were good and I was not prepared for that. Too bad because the place is very nice. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank stephhac
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Lo Nuestro is a perfect place to stay in Tulum Centro, just a few blocks away from the main street, ADO bus station, bank... The rooms are very large and clean, decorated simply but with a lot of taste. There is a little garden, very pleasant to take breakfast (not included in the cost of rooms, but quite cheap). The two owners are very nice people, and can recommend some delicious typical maya restaurants and other activities to do in the area.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms we stayed in were quite similar, but I have heard some of the rooms have jacuzzi inside.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel a month prior to my arrival. After seeing pics of the master suite I was sold. This was meant to be the last night with my girlfriend and I wanted something special.

Upon our arrival we were greeted by a nice man named Jorge. I asked for our room and was told that it was not ready till 3. As it was our last night I asked I'd we could have it sooner (just as I had in the notes when making the reservation) and was told it wasn't possible. As a hotel manager I know that sometimes this is flexible and had a friendly chat with Jorge. When that didn't worked I changed the subject to bicycle rentals and restaurants while my girlfriend changed. This is where it went down hill. A lady who I presume is the owner but can nt confirm nor can I provide her name as she refused to give it to me. I'm not sure why she behaves this way only that she did. She walks into the lobby muttering to Jorge (and me?) about the annoying people who just arrived. About how check in is at 3 and not nice things about my girlfriend. At this point I took the bait and asked whether she was talking to me or about me? More nastiness from her mouth followed. Not liking being talked down to like a child, I asked Jorge who was in charge as I was fed up with be treated this way. I was sitting down and she walks over to me and stands over wagging her finger again saying nasty stuff. Totally shocked and appalled I said I'd never received such terrible service in all my time on the road and had no intention of sticking around to be abused, I can get better service in a hostel. At that point I was told, nay yelled at and told to leave.

Shocked I gathered our stuff and found ourselves on the street with nowhere to go in the busiest weeks of the year. So much for a relaxing time with my girlfriend. Ruined by the owner with serious issues, not understanding service and disrespecting guests. A potentially wonderful time ruined by an imballanced lady on some strange power trip.

Do yourselves a favor and stay AWAY!

• Stayed: February 2013