“Great Atmosphere - BLAND food!”
Review of iQue Fresco!

iQue Fresco!
Ranked #253 of 400 Restaurants in Tulum
California
“Great Atmosphere - BLAND food!”
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Been here three times. Probably not going back. Here's the good:
* great location on the beach - fantastic views
* tables are on the sand
* very pretty layout, especially at night - very romantic
* live band occasionally which is very nice

Here's the bad:
* every time the food is very BLAND
* drinks are very WEAK
* service is not up to par
* prices are not reflective of food quality

I guess if you want a great location and romantic setting, but don't care about how the food tastes or the drinks, then it's a good choice.

1 Thank Ron Y

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Fabulous Wedding Reception!”
Reviewed 24 December 2009

We hosted our wedding reception at Zamas over Thanksgiving 2009.

The owner, the chef and the staff were a dream to work with ... accommodating, helpful, knowledgeable, upbeat. We had a number of foodies in the group, so I had been a bit apprehensive. However, we heard (and still hear) nothing but rave reviews of the entire event and especially the food.

The restaurant is set-up with a beautiful palapa-roof dining area built right into the beach. The chairs and tables are painted bright colors.

We started out on the beach with passed bellinis and appetizers - fried manchego bites, quesadillas, conch fritters and shrimp skewers. Soup was a chilled corn chowder with crab - my absolute favorite overall. Salad was greens with goat cheese. Entree was a choice of grilled snapper, fillet mignon or spinach crepes. I think almost everyone had the fillet and it was honestly fabulous, with mashed potatoes and a delicious pesto-type sauce. YUM. The wedding cake was huge, three-tiers and perfect for the event. It was tres leches cake, which a lot of the group had never had, but I think quite a few were hooked on it upon leaving. Later in the evening, the staff brought out churros with chocolate sauce and Australian meat pies, which were unbelievably delicious - so simple, but so good! :)

As far as bar went, we were able to purchase a per person premium open bar for the night, which worked out really well. No one was for want of a beverage the entire evening - and they even had stocked non-alcoholic beer for some of the group who do not drink. For those that do, however, the sangria is HIGHLY recommended.

The band was arranged by Zamas and they were great - they played rock and were perfect - a lot of fun to watch and for dancing. We did not specify a first dance (oops) and ended up with Proud Mary, which was pretty funny ... although Ike and Tina are probably not the best couple to model your marriage after - haha. Later, they played something a bit more fitting for us - although I am pretty sure we will stick with the Proud Mary as "our song" now - just for the memory of it.

We also hired fire dancers to perform on the beach (Zamas arranged this, as well). They did a 20-minute show, with stilts, acrobatics, drums, and fire. People LOVED it!!! If you are planning an event here, I highly recommend this - it is something different, but totally fun. It also inspires you to hit the gym when you get home. :)

Also, because I needed an extra hand pulling last minute things together for the ceremony in town, the owner recommended one of her staff, Yadira, to help me out. She was unbelievably helpful - we honestly could not have gotten a lot of things done without her and I feel very grateful for both the referral and her willingness to bend over backwards to help us - thank you Yadira!!!

Additionally, for those of you who might be planning a group dinner from the USA, it was very convenient to be able to just send Zamas a personal check as payment. The owners live in San Francisco part-time, so it was easy to organize things via telephone as needed, as well. This is a HUGE perk when planning an international event - especially since most places in Tulum do not accept credit cards and many do not even have solid phone service. This way, we did not have to carry all of that cash around down there.

Overall, I cannot imagine a better place in Tulum to host a group dinner - and we hope to someday host an anniversary bash there, as well! :)

Texas
“Overrated restaurant”
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We didn't stay at Zamas, but we did eat dinner in their restaurant. We left puzzled at why there is so much hype about this place.
The food was mediocre, and overpriced. The ambience is fine, but the restaurant is very large in the sense that it seats many people. I prefer the more intimate experience found at most other restaurants on the beach.
We weren't impressed with the service, either. Our waiter brought my husband a dish he didn't order, and gave us an "Are you crazy?" look when we asked for the correct dish. I understand that you shouldn't expect the same customer service that you get in the US while in Latin American countries, but if you cater to tourists and charge US prices, then you should prepared to provide US customer service. (This isn't an ignorant comment, even my Argentinian husband agrees that customer service really doesn't exist in Latin America).
I definitely would not go back. There are so many other better places both in Tulum town and Tulum beach.

Bracebridge, ON
“no more Que Fresco!”
Reviewed 28 February 2008

Recently visited the restaurant at Zamas, which is still signed Que Fresco but is nothing like it was only three years ago. At that time, it still had great food and a relaxing atmosphere, though it had slipped a bit in the service category from 2003. There is no more Italian flavor, no more wood fired thin crust pizza or amazing pastas. Now, in its expanded state and with new staff, it is a lot more like a standard eatery in Tulum pueblo - harried or indifferent service, loud clientele - many from Europe - none of the class it once had. That said, it would be hard to beat the delicious fish tacos and the prices in general. A good place for a leisurely lunch.

1 Thank donclem