“Wonderful Place to stay”

El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at El Pez. Not only was it beautiful there, but the restaurant was fabulous. The chef was from Chile and his menu was fantastic. If you're in Tulum definitely don't miss out on this place! It was wonderful.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face the ocean, which was an incredible view. Be sure to ask about these rooms whe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ana H
ElPezTulum, Gerente at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guests,

Thanks a lot for taking the time of writting a review about your stay at El Pez.

We are proud about our chef Eric and the restaurant at El Pez, thanks for mentioning also.

Hope to see you again,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I love the warmth and hospitality of El Pez. It's a wonderful place to relax and unwind, even if I was working. The moment my husband and I arrived we felt welcomed and cared for through our entire stay.

Hotel Room:
We stayed in both the King ocean front room and the upper level cabana. The rooms are tasteful decorated with amazing ocean views. I preferred the king room, since the upper cabana was a bit buggy for me.

Pros:
The hotel staff was flawless and manager Mateo was wonderful.
Comfortable beds
Good food
Great drinks
Wonderful views
Very Clean
Safe

Cons:
Cabana room: The thatched room let bugs in and the mosquito need had a whole in it.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anet74

Dear Guests,

It was a pleasure having both of you here at El Pez.

Thanks for writting so many pros about the staff and the hotel itself.

Also thanks for making a constructive critic about our Cabanas, we are taking note.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

After a little hiccup, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms are beautiful and clean. The views are superb and a very relaxing place. Customer service in this place is top notch.

The restaurant and food is something else! The evening meals were superb .. My compliments to the chef. Breakfast was basic but still tasty.. The granola was excellent!!

Thanks guys for a memorable stay!

And .. Gabi is the star staff member!! :))

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

It so nice to read your words about our work here at El Pez. Thank you so much, this kind of review makes feel really proud.

Gaby and our chef are really grateful of your beautiful words about their job.

Tulum and El Pez will be always waiting for you........

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We have just returned from Mexico after spending 2 days at El Pez We have fallen in love with Tulum and this beautiful hotel. We stayed in a cabana and it couldn't have been more perfect.
It was too short but we will be back... You guys have nailed it.
Thanks so much for making us feel so welcome

Room Tip: The cabanas are very romantic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline O

Dear guests,

Thanks for sharing your experience at El Pez in Trip Advisor. We are glad you had such a good time at Tulum.

Hope next time you can visit us more days.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

From the "welcome drinks" to help contacting our airport transfer and everything in between, the amazing service from the staff, serene location, gorgeous accommodation... everything was perfect! Me and my husband were so lucky to be married here (back in December) and were pleased with every little detail of our wedding AND our stay. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and had planned on doing it with a Mayan ceremony on the beach.
We only had 2 nights here, so this coupled with it being at the end of our 6 day trip, we were SO sad to leave. Day 1 was our wedding and day 2 we were gone all day exploring ruins and cenotes so we hardly had time to enjoy El Pez. We definitely soaked in everything we could while we were there. The yummy drinks from the bar, the spacious room, the amazing sunrise from our balcony, the pelicans looking for food in the cove, OUR food from the Altamar restaurant... it really was all so great!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Luxury Cabana up top. Can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ElPezTulum, Gerente at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Guests,

Thanks a lot for taking the time of writting such a beautiful review about your stay at El Pez.

Also thanks for choosing us for such an important day fo your life.

Our doors and hearts will always be open for you.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We just returned from a 5-day stay in Tulum, split across two hotels, El Pez and Ahau Tulum, which is about 2-3 km further south on the beach. Both currently rank at #7 and #8 in Tripadvisor reviews, and I fully see why, as both are very excellent hotels. I would return to either one. However, they are different, and I will try to differentiate them in my review for persons trying to choose a hotel in Tulum. For those deciding between Tulum and other locations, I'll also try to differentiate Tulum from other options.

This was my first trip to Mexico, and for my first trip I had several conflicting desires: beauty, luxury, safety, character. Tulum beach wonderfully straddled this combination - a small beach-side walkable village of off-the-grid luxury hotels sandwiched between private cabanas and occasional campsites of hippies who wouldn't look out of place in Phuket or Goa. I'm not surprised at all at Tulum's popularity among New Yorkers - it's walkable with a strong sense of place, luxurious, stylish, and a bit crunchy at the same time. By day three, I found myself wanting to do a juice cleanse and study with a yoga guru (I had another cucumber margarita instead). It's that kind of place. (Most of the negative reviews you'll find for hotels in Tulum are really not about the hotel at all, but are about a mismatch between Tulum and what the traveler really wanted. If your idea of paradise is ruined by having to throw toilet paper in a trash can instead of a toilet, or low water pressure in a shower, off the grid luxury is not for you. However, as an actual beach camper, I was really impressed but how luxurious Tulum hotels were - eco-luxury with emphasis on the luxury.)

Now about El Pez itself. What really differentiated this hotel was the wonderful hospitality of the staff (I never entered the hotel without being offered a drink, or some other assistance) the well-designed rooms and common areas, and the location on a beautiful cove filled with birds. The wonderful El Pez staff deliver a thermos of coffee to your room at sunrise. Sitting on our sea view deck drinking my coffee watching the sunrise over the cove while dozens of pelicans flew around us is a memory I will treasure. I missed both the coffee and the pelicans when we moved down the beach to our next hotel. Once we moved down the beach into Tulum's 'zona yoga' I also missed the quieter, more relaxed vibe of the more northern stretch of beach. There's a very strong euro-yoga-bikini-bootcamp-hipster vibe in the more southern section of beach, and I found myself working harder to suppress my inner New York cynic once we moved further down the beach.

Room Tip: Room recommendation: I recommend the second-floor sea view rooms, which are more private than the fi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

What a nice description about your stay at El Pez.

Thanks a lot for the words you wrote about our staff, we are so happy that you had that amazing feeling while staying with us.

Hope to see you again soon !!!!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great cabanas. We got a beach front cabana which was beautiful, the cabanas are close by to one another, but it was still fine. The place is lovely, clean and the beach is great. Gotta do better on that morning coffee, but beside, our stay was lovely. Attentive service, very nice staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

Thanks for taking the time of writting a review at Trip Advisor about your stay at El Pez.

We already took note of your comment of the coffee, and hopefully next time you visit us you notice the change. Thanks for making a constructive critic.