“lovely room and cozy garden with friendly staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Garden Hotel

Secret Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 81 Tulum B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“lovely room and cozy garden with friendly staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

Stay at this hotel was very pleasant, because our room was clean and all amenities in working order! the staff were very good and friendly, great location and lots to do around the hotel area! we loved the beautiful cozy garden and our room was a stylish and lovely! we stayed there for only one night but wish I could have stayed longer! this hotel was absolutely delightful! I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FlowerGypsy
SecretGardenTulum, Propietario at Secret Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Hola,
Thank you for your delightful review and the pictures, they all look great. Next time try to spend a little more time in Tulum, you will love it like we do.
Hope to see you soon.
Joshua Arpaiz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Österreich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I highly recommend the secret garden in tulum to everybody. For this price you find nothing better in town. The rooms are clean and friendly decorated. The garden at the hotel is perfect for a chillout beer in the evening and the hammocks in back are very invitive!! =) The location is pretty good. 5 walking minutes from the ADO-bus station and the taxistand. Lots of Restaurants nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hola,
Thank you for your nice review, we really enjoy our job and we created our place for travelers to just relax and have an amazing time in Tulum. We are happy and thankful that a senior contributor had a great time at the hotel and that you took couple minutes to write about us, this will help other travelers find the way to Secret Garden.
See you next time and thank you again.
San Marcos, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I know everyone else has given the Secret Garden great ratings, but I was a just little disappointed. The hosts were extremely nice and helpful, and everything was clean, but I just wasn’t sold on it. I reserved their smallest room for $50.00 per night which I thought was a little expensive for what you get. Keep in mind that I typically stay in very basic hotels when I travel to Mexico and don’t expect any frills or special treatment, but I have stayed in less expensive places with more amenities than those offered at the Secret Garden. And while I normally don’t mind small rooms, I felt a little claustrophobic…, probably due to the dark brown wall and the fact that I had to keep my curtains closed because all the guests had to walk by my room to get to their rooms or to leave. Perhaps the other rooms have a less “closed-in” feeling. I ended up spending very little time at the hotel because I didn’t get a homey, comfortable vibe while there.

While they do have a nice garden area in between the two rows of rooms, I didn’t especially find it a place that I wanted to spend any time. One evening I took my laptop out in the garden to perhaps meet some of the other guests, but there were no exterior lights on and I had to use the light from my laptop to see my way to a bench to sit down on.

I was aware that the hotel was in town and about five miles from the beach. That didn’t bother me because I wanted to explore the town. The restaurants turned out to be more expensive than I thought they would be, although they do have little local places along the side streets that are less expensive. The hotel owners will let you know about all the options in the area.

In my opinion, the Secret Garden had more of a hostel-like feel to it which didn’t appeal to me. As a woman in my 50s traveling solo, I felt somewhat out of place. As is obvious, however, it has a following of fans who love it…and that says something. It just wasn’t for me.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SecretGardenTulum, Propietario at Secret Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Hola
We are glad you wrote a review, but we feel a little sad when we find out days later that one of our guest did not have a good time. We always do our best to make sure our guest have a perfect time, and if there is something our guest wants to change, add or modify we will always try to find the solution, so they leave the hotel with a smile and not with mixed opinions.
Tulum, although it is a small town, is in high demand and therefore prices are different to most places in Mexico, unfortunately you do not realize this until you are here.
Thank you for your time and words, we hope you give us a second change next time you come to Tulum.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Would definitely recommend, especially for couples. Very close to Tulum bus station and many excellent restaurants. Easy to get to the beach, ruins, and other attractions outside Tulum. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean with good facilities. This is a great find and definitely good value for money!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jarp23, Propietario at Secret Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Hola Anna,
Thank you for your kind words and nice review, you made us smile. We enjoy our job, and we are happy to give all the information to our guest friends so they can enjoy the best of Tulum and fall in love with Tulum, like we did.
See you next time, say hi to Joe.
Joshua, Maura & Antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Plus:
- good base location near centre for excursions, laundry, restaurants, transport
- friendly hosts with good refferals
- quiet atmosphere
- clean room

Cons:
- too hot in the (non aircon) room. There is no way to get the heat out of the room. It is lacking ventilation.
- the drain system smells bad
- no swimming pool

Overall we liked our stay. We payed a reasonable low season price of 40$ per night. I can recommend this place if you look for a clean place to sleep, but don't expect more than that.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi,
Thank you for taking a couple minutes and write a review, we really appreciate this nice gesture. We are happy that you find the hotel clean and quite. We can also see that you review the restaurants we suggest you.
We always talk with our guest to be sure they have everything they need in order to have a pleasant stay, or simply help them with anything they want, and you were not the exception. Next time please let us know if something is not working well and we happily will fix it right away or even will change your room. We are flexible and we are happy to improve everyday.
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We've been in Secret Garden at the beginning of our trip in Mexico and Guatemala in july 2012 and we came back at the end since we really felt at home! The place is amazing, very very clean and the atmosphere is simply perfect! Joshua, Maura and Antonio are wonderful hosts and their attitude to the guests is really special. Don't miss it!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank VincenzoeValeri... F
SecretGardenTulum, Propietario at Secret Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Hola guys,
thanks for spending a little of your time writing a review about us.
We really love welcome our guest and see them relaxed and happy.
You will be always very welcome here,

Joshua, Maura & Antonio
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed 5 beautiful days in Secret Garden, and it was the nicest stay of our trip!
Warm welcome, nice advices to travel out of touristic area (and nice advice for restaurants!).
It is very closed to the center of tulum but in a quiet street.

The room was perfect.

Again, thank you very much to the team, specially to Joshua!

We warmely advice this hotel !
Have a nice trip,
Catherine&Seb

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Catherine&Seb!
We are so happy to hear from you.
We always try to suggest the best option to see and place to eat, so everyone could appreciate even more this little corner of paradise.
we will be pleased to welcome you again one day!
Best wishes,