“Best in Tulum!”

Ranked #67 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
“Best in Tulum!”
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my husband for 1 week in Tulum for our honeymoon. We were very worried because we read some bad reviews, but our experience in this hotel was simply amazing, the best in Tulum. We had breakfast everyday at the hotel and it was very good. They have healthy choises and delicious juices. We had lunch and dinner and it was very good, as well fresh whole fish.
The beach is one of the most beautiful ones in Tulum.
We love nature and luxury combined so we stayed in one of their new suites.. Wow all the luxury you need A/c, wifi, wonderful view. The decor was neutral, perfect for being in Tulum.
Alfredo the manager was very helpful. He recommended us great places for going out!
I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013
LasRanitasTulum, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Hello kura09.
Thanks for your nice comments about your experience at Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel. We are very pleased to know that you spent a pleasant holiday with us and enjoyed our service and accommodations. We would be happy to receive you on a future trip to Tulum, hopefully soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hebrew first
West Hurley, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at Las Ranitas the last week in May of 2013. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel was charming and the location was amazing. White, clean sand,warm, turquoise clear water and very few people on the beach. The staff were all exceptionally friendly. We speak virtually no Spanish, but we did our best and it was obviously appreciated by the staff. We had a lot of fun talking to them. They have a great sense of humor and really seem to enjoy their job. That makes a world of difference. I have to disagree with a previous reviewer. The food was EXCELLENT! Every dish was made fresh and was beautifully presented. It was no more expensive than a good meal out at home would be. The drinks were pricey, but so what? You're on vacation! We had a room right on the beach on the second floor with a breathtaking view from the balcony. There are many different things to do relatively close by. We loved the Coba ruins. We did not get to experience diving off the reef, because it was too rough and windy. You can't control the weather. I wish I could remember everyone's name, but we appreciated Sandy's (Sandra) help more than I can say. ALL of the waitstaff and the housekeeper were wonderful. They helped to make this a memorable trip. If you are the kind of person who likes large, commercial resorts this is not for you. If you are looking for a small, beautiful resort with pristine beaches to walk, great food and the best staff ever - Las Ranitas is it. Alfredo, you're doing a great job. Don't change a thing!

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth it.
1 Thank DevineReviewer
LasRanitasTulum, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Hello DevineReviewer.
Thanks for your feedback about your experience in Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel, all of our team is very grateful for your nice comments!
At Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel, our main goal is to provide an exceptional experience, we are glad that you spent a memorable vacation and look forward to hosting you again soon!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2013

stayed there for a wedding and we had a wonderful time.
on the regular days, service in the hotel was very slow and several items are just completely overpriced. Margarita for 200pesos is more than a premium for a nice vacation location. the fact that they charge 15% service charge is somewhat funny because in normal case they would get max 5%... slow and tend to forget...
the wedding was amazing in the place and service during event was great.
beach is fantastic and views like paradise.
place has no aircondition but breeze is fine.
if you are somewhat mobile and you can go to other restaurants I recommend the experience staying there.

• Stayed May 2013
LasRanitasTulum, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Hello MarkusB2103.
Thank you for your feedback about your stay in Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel. Your opinion about the quality of service and prices will be considered to improve and serve our visitors properly. We are currently implementing a wider bar menu but please note that we only serve quality ingredients with original recipes.
We also are working on service, we are sorry for the inconveniences related to that part. We hope to host you again at our place in the future and spend an unforgettable vacation.
Cayce, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My wife and I just recently returned from our trip to Tulum. I had read some of the more negative reviews, and the authors of those negative posts are, well, loco; granted I didn't plan a wedding. The whole place is gorgeous. Las Ranitas is toward the end of the onslaught of hotels on Boca Paila Road; the Tulum hotel zone. Thus, it is very private. Our room, #21--one of the Cristals--was on the second floor with a secluded balcony and an amazing view of the sea. I initially couldn't find a photo of the bathroom and so I was a bit scared, but it was gorgeous. What a room! The service was, from management to cleaning staff, amazing and generous. I should especially mention Carlos. Truth be told, I had a tad too much to drink one night and he went out of his way to make sure I made it to my room okay. He's an amazing fellow. I don't have a single negative thing to say about Las Ranitas except for things the management or staff couldn't have the slightest control over--for instance, it's hot in Mexico. And, since it is at the far South end of the hotel zone taxi drivers will overcharge you for trips further North. I fear, though, I didn't take advantage of all they offered (massages and yoga for instance) so I can't speak to that. And, again, it was just me and my wife, so no big saga of a wedding event so I don't know what that's like. In short, Las Ranitas was outstanding, and Carlos is the man!

Hi Jason M.
We are grateful for your nice comments about your experience at Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel.We are really happy that you and your wife had a wonderful stay with us as quality service to our guests is our main concern. We hope to see you again soon at Las Ranitas!
Sunnyside, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I attended a wedding this past week-end in which the entire hotel was booked with wedding guests, myself & hubby included. The drive down what appeared to be "hotel lane" was chock full of other hotels that seemed to range in price and amenities.

Another couple stayed at a neighboring hotel that had one of the most romantic rooms I have ever seen. Large, 4 poster bed with mosquito netting, tall pillar candles, cute water basins to rinse your feet before you entered the room and free continental breakfast. I mention this because they were simple details that I immediately wished for after entering our room at Las Ranitas. (I quite literally mentioned these things **ok NOT the candles LOL** aloud before I even saw the neighboring couples' room.)

Checking in was relatively seamless. They provided a lovely nonalcoholic drink upon our arrival as well. I loved the hotel and its easy access to the beach. It was indeed lovely with all of the foliage. There was a mix up with our room and while I was unpacking, we were told that we had to move to another room. Another couple experienced the same mix-up. Small issue.

We had bug repellent spray yet still opted to keep the patio door closed since the other windows had screens and used the ceiling fan to keep cool. (BRING YOUR OWN BUG SPRAY to last throughout your trip!!) There was also a small oscillating fan but we never used it. I preferred to not have AC anyhow. The rooms were kept very clean and I was impressed by the staff who cleaned the rooms because they always did a thorough job. The bedding/towels were clean and smelled wonderfully fresh!

The food was decent but expensive. The drinks, INSANELY expensive! We had most meals elsewhere, all equally expensive but better quality food in my opinion. Check the reviews online for other places to eat shortly before your trip to ensure the best experience. There are soooo many places to eat so do not feel that Las Rainitas is the your only option because its not. They are good, but explore and enjoy the other chefs that have different things to offer. The seafood is so fresh that you can't go wrong with that on any menu.

The staff was quite nice but alot nicer if you spoke Spanish but that's always the case in a foreign country. There was a server named Martin that was dare I say...an [--]! He seemed irritated by every request and we are very low maintenance kind of people. There were items in the breakfast menu that they never seemed to have and one particular morning Martin was almost forcing me to order something that I did not want. I wanted a croissant (they didn't have any) so he kept telling me to get the french toast. Issue with that is, I had it the previous morning and it was a soggy mess. All I wanted was some form of bread without any fixings and this frustrated him a great deal which really threw me off. I didn't want toast or pancakes, just bread. Simple right? Nope!
He eventually brought me bread that had been toasted to the the point where it could be barely chewed. All I wanted was soft, plain bread for my upset tummy. :-(
The rest of the staff was very nice so I want to be sure that I say that clearly. Just that one guy...grrr...it go to the point where we watched to see what section he was serving before we decided where to sit.
My hubby tore his pants moments before the wedding and female staffer at the reception desk was kind enough to quickly mend them for him.

The night before the wedding was a bar-b-q on the beach and it was delicious! The pork and chicken were amazing, salad light and sweet, guacamole amazing and drinks strong and plentiful! The groom spoke with Management prior because his guests complained of the weak drinks and high prices. The hotel definitely made up for it that night as well as for the wedding!

It rained during the reception and the wind gusts were so strong that most of the tables were blown over with all of the drinks, meals, etc. The hotel was AMAZING about re-locating the tables and getting everyone new plates and drinks quickly. Drunken guests dropped more than one glass and the staff was incredibly efficient in removing any glass from the floor.

WiFi only works near the reception area so don't count on getting service in your room.

Basics: Clean hotel, friendly staff, average food, expensive everything. I am not sure if I would stay there again. If they add free breakfast to your stay, I would consider it though. Everything in Tulum is expensive so a free meal goes a LONG way! That and stronger drinks! Most people just want what they pay for.

Hi MixedGrilNYC.
Thanks for posting your comments about your stay at Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel. It is gratifying for us to know that your experience at our Hotel was nice. We truly apologize for the unconfortable situation with Martín, and we are working on improving the service we provide. We hope you visit us again.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I recently had a wedding at Las Ranitas. Before I get into details, I want to add that the wedding day turned out beautiful! And the staff at Las Ranitas is great! And the food was AMAZING, thank you Chef for your impeccable food!

Las Ranitas is not a budget hotel or cheap venue to host any event. Do not go there thinking you can negotiate to meet your budget, because that will not happen. They may give you some small offers here and there, but it still comes out to a very expensive bill. We were very aware of this when we selected Las Ranitas to be our hotel and our wedding venue. However, with this said, it is not a FAIR hotel at all and will not help you with any wrongdoings on their part. We were not trying to ‘cheat’ Las Ranitas, but rather wanted fair outcomes to their wrongdoings. The only negative feedback I have is regarding the General Management.

We decided to book out the whole hotel to host our wedding. We made these plans a year before the wedding. However, as soon as we arrived, we were told that they had overbooked and we had to kick out three of our guests. Now, the reason why we booked out the whole hotel was so our close family and friends could be with us on this joyful celebration for the weekend. To ask that we kick out 3 families meant that these families, even if they booked last year, had to spend their time at a nearby hotel and not get to experience the joy of staying with the wedding party. Yes, they were welcome to ‘come by’ whenever, but we know its not the same. During this process, the staff made comments to some of our guests who did not want to move on why they couldn’t ‘help out the hotel.’ Excuse me? But this was not the guests’ problem. This whole ordeal brought great stress to us, the wedding hosts. We wanted to make sure our guests experienced a great time and not hassle and judgment right when they arrive. Conclusion to this ordeal, they wouldn't compensate the guests that had to be removed from the hotel (they offered free breakfast on the last day to the guests, but those guests were leaving early to the airport so they couldn’t take advantage of this). The parents and brothers of the bride and groom decided to leave the hotel since they didn’t want to frustrate any of their close friends and families. This was the sad part that our parents/siblings had to leave and yet, the hotel does nothing but blames their system change. Which in my profession as an IT Consultant, is not a valid excuse to any client.

Other outcomes of that ordeal were people had to be moved around and did not get the room they paid for which Las Ranitas did not even want to refund the difference! Again, it all comes down to fairness. We are not trying to cheat the hotel, but if you pay for a bigger room and get one of the smaller rooms to accommodate the Hotel’s issue of overbooking, they should have paid the difference without any arguments or questions.

I was told that Las Ranitas is under new management and workers are actually leaving since they do not agree with the new management. I first hand experienced the unfairness and the judgments from Las Ranitas management. I should have not since I was the customer who rented out the whole hotel and was hosting my wedding there. Again, not cheating the hotel – I didn’t even ask for the honeymoon suite to be free, we paid for it without question. Yes, maybe I am a little upset about that cause I know other hotels will give the bride/groom free room after booking out the whole hotel. But at that point, I did not want anything more to do with Las Ranitas.

In conclusion, go to Las Ranitas to eat, but I wouldn’t stay there or have an event there. I have more issues that we experienced with Las Ranitas that will be too much to write about it here. If you are interested in having a wedding there, feel free to message me as I can give you some tips of what not to do.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms near the lobby, you will hear workers early morning and your window is exposed...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank AmiraBliss13
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Las Ranitas beautiful and relaxing! Most importantly though, the staff is amazing. Onil, Carlos and the rest of the team make for a very enjoyable experience.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in Tulum...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family