“Amazing hotel, amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Xibalba Hotel

Xibalba Hotel
Ranked #63 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel, amazing experience!”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed a week in the hotel, during which time we dove with the hotel staff for 4 days. The hotel is great. Set in a relatively secluded location, the rooms are spacious and well decorated. The shower is huge as is the bed. The team at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and Hairo, our dive guide, was amazing!! He is very knowledgeable and clearly very passionate about the cenotes and the local environment. The diving is also amazing and recommended if you are in the area. The beach is about a 30 minute walk away but is about a £3 cab ride. The centre of Tulum however is only a 5 minute walk and here you will find many restaurants and bars as well as the main bus station with routes to Cancun and Cancun airport. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I spent two days and took four cavern dives with Xibalba. The staff is amazing, helpful and honest. I left my wallet with all my money and credit cards laying by the pool washing station. A staff member saw it and ran it to me before I drove off.

The dive instructors are very knoledagle, safe and patient. At the end the dives they allow you to secure your gear in a locked room, so you don't have to carry it back everyday. Richie is a great diving guide, who made my introductory to cavern diving amazing. On all my proceeding trips to Tulum, I will be diving with Xibalba.

Thanks again Richie.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Xibalba Hotel for just under two weeks and loved it. The rooms are spotless and the owners and staff are fantastic. We also did some guided cavern dives with the dive centre and found them highly professional, very safe and the centre itself is well set up. The breakfasts each morning were delicious and the hotel is back from the main street so noise is not an issue at all.
Overall we found it to be like a home away from home and definitely plan to come back to the Xibalba the next time we're in Mexico!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Our 4th stay in Xibalba coming 6/30, can't wait! Though we are not divers, the seeming seclusion of Xibalba in the center of Tulum - close to everything - is very relaxing. The housekeeping couple (sorry, can't remember their names) prepare a wonderful breakfast and keep the property
very tidy.The rooms are comfortable with wonderful bathrooms. Feels like the largest King bed
I've ever slept in! Great rates, too Thanks for your continued gracious hospitality Robbie!

Room Tip: Room 7, second floor, next to kitchen --except you have to move if we are coming!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
St.Albans
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just back from a week of Cenote diving (April 2012) with Richie and Hairo and cannot recommend them enough. The diving was well organised, ran like clockwork and was 100% safe. The hotel is basic but has pleasant rooms, each with a safe, comfy bed and air conditioning. There is a small, sunny garden with a splash pool. The area is behind the main street of Tulum so away from too much traffice but an easy walk to the restaurants and shops. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jacqueline101
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 April 2012

As a seasoned traveler to Tulum. I recently went there during a very busy time and was unable to stay at the beach Hotels I love. After asking a few local friends in Tulum the name Xibalba kept coming up. I went to Hotels.com and booked two rooms for me and friends. The rates were almost too good to believe.
Upon arriving to the Hotel we were so pleased by what we saw. It is on the northern end of downtown Tulum. Central to everywhere you would want to go. Xibalba is a tucked away little gem of a place. Rooms are large and super clean and quiet. We slept better than babies. The aircon was a PLUS. The fresh water showers felt great after a long day at the beach.

The coffee and breakfast is a nice way to start the day while lounging around the pool. Many birds would come into the courtyard and dip from the pool from the heavy tree lots in back.. I saw the RARE Painted Bunting while sipping coffee right inside the heart of Tulum. I could not believe it.
The staff ( Richie) were great. They were there, yet not there. You felt tucked away, left alone and by no means felt like you were right in town.
I will be going back to Tulum as I do often. Me and my friends would hope to be staying with the fine folks at Xibalba.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms 3 and 4. By the pool and quiet... I stayed in 4 and found it to be a perfect place...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank janofleur
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed 3 nights here and loved it. The place is German-owned/run - so you can be sure everything works as expected. Relaxed, informal atmosphere (it's a dive hotel), nicely appointed, very clean and spacious room with a proper shower, safe and a/c - couldn't ask for more. We were moving by car, so the parking slot right in front of the reception was appreciated (as was the night guard). Simple, honest home-style breakfast - good coffee, toast, ham, marmalade and eggs cooked to order. Great location - the main junction in Tulum 1 minute away so it was easy for us to head in any direction - be it Chichen Itza, the beach (which was AMAZING; btw!!!!!!), Tulum ruins or Cancun. Overall, a highly recommended hotel with a friendly price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family