“Picture perfect cabana on the beach.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coco Tulum

Coco Tulum
Ranked #4 of 81 Tulum B&B and Inns
“Picture perfect cabana on the beach.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Coco is perfect. We viewed a number of different hotels on et Tulum strip and none were quite like this. Cabana literally right on the beach for $100 a night. Only draw back was communal shower/restroom which were always clean and made up for by the friendly staff and free wifi!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kiwithejames

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Tulum, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

the beach by coco is very very beautiful. the cabanas are simple but super comfortable with all you need. less is more. they have an excellent room service of yummy food form Juanita Diavola restaurant. the staff is super friendly and happy to please you in any way possible.
only inconvenience is the cabanas don't have bathrooms, this takes a little bit of privacy to the guest but i guess for 85 US and a beach front cabanas, its ok!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yellowsmileystar
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I recently spent 4 nights at Coco Tulum in September 2013 as a solo traveler. I was able to get a discount by emailing them about their rates (they had a special Trip Advisor rate for those that email), so I did not use the online reservation system. I stayed in cabana #1, which I think provided some of the most privacy while still having direct beach access. Cabana #1 is located beneath cabana #2; however, I never found this to be an issue. I did not hear the guests above me at all and did not see them once (stairway to the upper cabana is off to the side).

The cabana was clean and comfortable. I was able to enjoy the seats on the front porch or lay on the hammock and have direct view of the ocean. There were lots of windows to allow a nice ocean breeze (the room can otherwise be very stuffy and hot). Unfortunately, since my stay was during hurricane season, it would rain off and on meaning that I could not keep the windows open all the time without letting in the rain. There are mosquito nets around the bed, but no AC; however, they did provide a fan in the room.

While the rain did not keep me from doing what I wanted or affect my overall stay, it became apparent that under severe weather, there are some leaks in the ceiling. On my last night there, there was a torrential downpour overnight and when I woke up, there were puddles all over the floor. Due to the seasonal weather and humidity, it was difficult to get anything to completely dry, but that should be expected when traveling during this time of year.

The shared bathrooms were kept clean - I would see them clean it more than once a day. the staff were accommodating and friendly. The people working at the reception desk were super friendly and helpful in assisting me with any of my impromptu excursions (from renting a bike and going to the nearby ruins, scheduling a massage, or renting a car to visit sian ka'an).

I was expecting wifi to be accessible only in the restaurant area, but they did have wifi set up for the cabana area. However, being in the front cabana on the beach meant that the wifi would sometimes be spotty. Not an issue since I wasn't looking to be connected.

I was able to do everything that I wanted to while at Coco, with the help of the staff, its set up, and location. I also never once felt awkward as a solo traveler. It's a small hotel, and I am very satisfied with my choice!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pinkfood
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Your own private cabana at the beach. What do you need else?
A super location, friendly staff, free wifi, sun, cool restaurant, privacy, coconut trees, beach The have it all. We had a cabana in de garden so we had some shadow and more privacy. Don't worry about sharing shower and toilet. It is clean and in good condition. At Juanita Diavola (the restaurant with a lovely breakfast) you can eat nice pizza and just relaxt after a "hard" day sunbathing. Many other restaurants are within walking distance. But you can also easily rent a bike at the reception and just cycle to one of them or to the city center (15-20 min)

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ollie_1984
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Our own pretty cabana on the beach, it felt like paradise. We chose cabana #12 as we thought it was one of the cabanas with most privacy, but also our terrace was in the shadow, which we preferred given it can get quite hot in Tulum..
Walking on the beach, looking at other hotels, I really think Coco was the best looking (w.r.t. design/style).
Maybe one little disadvantage was that we were too far from the wifi signal, so we didn't really have internet in our cabana. And there is no airco, so we were quite happy with some tropical rainstorms in the evening to cool down the room.
But overall super happy with the location and staff was very nice as well, so would certainly recommend!

6 Thank SophievK
CocoTulum, General Manager at Coco Tulum, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Hi Sophie!

Thanks a lot for your nice comments :)
We truly appreciate it!
We' already working on improving our wifi connection areas, so hopefully during your next visit that's be fixed.
Do come back again soon...

Best Regars,
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel/cabannas are clean, perfect beach just steps away!

If you are traveling in off season, and are cool with winging it, all the hotels on the beach are significantly reduced if you do not book online/ahead of time.

The front desk girls were just alright - not super friendly but they get the job done. Restaurant is convenient and has decent food - lots of really great restaurants nearby though!

The fan in the room was key to being able to sleep! I would recommend this hotel & even return!

3 Thank rtruesdell
Hello there,

Thanks for taking the time to write down a nice review about your Coco Tulum stay.
I have certainly taken note on your feedback to help us improve our service.
Our very best,

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Very clean, attractive and comfortable. The cabanas are basic and cute, and the greenery planted around the charming buildings is very pretty. It wasn't too much of a hassle to walk to the bathrooms, and the beachside shower is a treat. The restaurant on the premises has surprisingly good pizza. The only two (minor) problems we encountered were that the bed nets were impossible to secure against the truly terrible onslaught of mosquitoes (don't mess around with natural repellents here--I hate deet products, but they were very necessary) and that the hammocks on the beach (pictures of which swayed our decision to stay here) were actually totally uncomfortable (waa waa, terrible, right?!). At first we were sad not to have a beachfront cabana, but we soon realized that No. 7 was the perfect spot. It appeared to be the most private spot--it has a sliver of beach view and is at the end of the path it's on, so no one passes by. That means that unlike all the other rooms, we never had to shut our blinds and could enjoy the view even when things were getting romancy ;) I'd highly recommend that room. Oh also, the bike rental is a pretty reasonable US$12/24 hours for a super comfy beach cruiser with a basket. It was a great way to explore the beach strip.

Room Tip: No. 7 is perfect for anyone wanting privacy while still having a bit of a beach view