“Great concept- bad service”
Review of Coco Tulum

Coco Tulum
Ranked #5 of 80 Tulum B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great concept- bad service”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our stay got off on the wrong foot when Paulina, the Reservations Manager, accidentally doublebooked our rooms. Even after I booked through the system, I emailed Pauline to ensure the reservation had gone through. She responded resassuring me everything was fine. Two weeks before our arrival, I receive an unapologetic email from her saying she had cancelled our room reservation and there was nothing they could do. This led to a frantic search for hotels in peak season with no avail. We ended up going to Playa del Carmen for the night she could not seem to reschedule us in for. Mediocre hotel service remained an issue throughout the rest of our stay.

With that said, the rooms were aesthetically pleasing with the mosquito nets and large sliding doors that allow for as much light as you would like. The weather was rainy and cloud during our stay, so we especially enjoyed the restaurant (including delicious dulce de leche crepes and mouth watering mint lemonades) up front where we spent most of our time, sharing drinks and playing games.

Room Tip: Rooms with direct view of the beach are best (especially in rainy seasons)!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monica C
playaazultulum, Gerente at Coco Tulum, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Monica,

I apologize very much about the whole situation regarding your booking during the Holiday Season.
Unfortunately, our online system had a breakdown and generated an error on you booking by mixing your check in/check out dates.
I am aware this is not an issue that concerns you and apologize for the inconvinience.

Yeye Ramz.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

If you want to be pampered and have all the amenities, go elsewhere. If you can create your own fun in a tropical paradise and enjoy meeting interesting people from all over the world, stay here. Shared facilities and an excellent bar and restaurant provide places to chat. Friendly staff and a great, laid-back clientele.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fritz S
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Fantastic setting in a great location. Beautiful grounds with cute little individual cabanas. Great restaurant serving great pizza. Super friendly staff. Ideal laid back vibe. If you're high maintainance this is not the place for you. It's simple, with shared bathrooms and a super friendly vibes.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris J
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Coco was absolutely amazing, we stayed on the beach front cabanas and could not have wished for a better place to stay. Food at the restaurant was pretty good as well, only complaint would be lack of bike hire and limited bar service at the beach but that's just being picky and would go back there tomorrow.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Wonderful hotel. Perfect location on the beach. Free wifi. We stayed in a tower room with our own bathroom (some rooms have communal bathrooms). A little oasis on the beach.
It's a niche/boutique type setup with no TVs, fridges, or fancy amenities but a great hot rain shower, nice bed, beautiful surrounds. Couldn't recommend it more.
Oh and the restaurant is ridiculous. Wood fired pizza oven and delicious food.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HansMingleberry
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed here for several days at the end of my travels for a total wind-down break and feel that I couldn't have picked a more fitting place to do so.
I attempted to book my reservation online in advance via the hotel website which lets you choose a specific cabana or tower room. Unfortunately, there were problems with trying to pay the deposit due to my super-conscious credit card security but Coco Tulum were kind enough to have kept free my chosen cabana for several weeks despite me being an unknown customer for which I was massively grateful as they were under no obligation to do so. It would have been understandable if they had given the cabana to someone else who could have secured a deposit. I would have appreciated a faster response time from the reservation team about the failed payments as it was hard for me to contact my bank when I was on the move or perhaps an alternative method of sending payment details securely.
However, all turned out well and when I arrived, the reception staff were great and efficient and very good at prioritising checking-in and check-out guests.
The location is magical and just like stepping into the photographs with the amazing clean white sand and turquoise sea. The cabana that I stayed in was an upper level one with a fantastic view of tree tops framed by the sea and with great sounds of the lapping waves which I loved falling asleep and waking up to. The rooms were kept perfectly clean every day.
The shared bathrooms were easy to access, even in the middle of the night at which time any bathroom seems miles away when it means having to roll out of bed, with lovely ambient lights on the external paths in the sand. They were kept lovely and clean despite the persistence of guests who throw paper into the toilets which must put an unnecessary strain on the domestic staff not to mention the drainage system! There was a good hot water supply with fantastic shower heads and good water pressure. All with the help of solar and wind power great!
It's true that the Wi-Fi connection in some of the cabanas is not great (can't vouch for all of them) and the low level of lighting and occasional power outages (never for more than 2 mins luckily during my stay) but hey I came here to escape technology and bright lights otherwise I would booked somewhere in Playa del Carmen (thankfully I didn't).
The beach area is great - lovely hammocks or sun loungers to soak up the sunshine in - could always get one or the other despite the hotel being fairly full.
The restaurant is also great - lovely chilled out vibe with delicious pizzas and cocktails - all very reasonably priced for Tulum. I was lucky enough not to have experienced any slow service -in fact I actually wished it was slower at times so I could just sit and enjoy the atmosphere! There isn't much space for just sitting and relaxing in there as you feel like you might be holding up a table as the restaurant gets very busy at times due to its popularity. That said, I was always happy to migrate to the stools at the bar and never once did any of the staff ask me to stop hogging a whole table! The restaurant and bar staff were great and professional - most of them were not as interactive and chatty as the majority of the lovely people I met in during the course of my travels but maybe it's a Tulum thing or maybe they were just too busy I guess.
The nearest small shop selling a limited selection of snacks, drinks and toiletries is a couple of miles down the road and a good excuse to get a bit of exercise walking or cycling. Tulum pueblo is a good 10 or 15 mins or so drive away and so it's worth getting any essential supplies before reaching Coco if you don't have transport or if you're on a budget.
All in all a fantastic place to stay and I was really sad to leave as I've rarely found places where you can truly switch off, relax and unwind. Thank you!

Room Tip: I was in cabana 15 which had great sea breezes at night...in fact I had to ask for a spare blanket!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I arrived in Coco Tulum on the 14th of November for 5 days and right from the start seemed to be all wrong!I was expecting that I will come to the paradise,have fantastic beach holidays and had paid a lot of money to stay in that hotel as I was attending my friends' wedding in the hotel next door,Playa Azul.Instead,when I arrived in the hotel(a couple of hours earlier),I was told to wait in the restaurant area until my room is ready.So without a problem, I went to have a breakfast while I was waiting for my room but the staff didn't seem to be very welcome.
The internet wasn't working at all and when I asked the waiter to restart the router just in case I can get a signal,he denied!The receptionist restarted it instead and at some point I got signal for a while.An hour later,I received an e-mail saying that I will have to pay the full amount of my reservation,as Coco Tulum failed to take the deposit 2 months earlier(when I had actually booked the room)!Therofore,I had to spend all of this money at once while on holidays and while believing that this was done the right time!I said to the lady in the reception that I will need to first check my account and then I could pay the money.She expected me to open my luggage in the entrance of the hotel while it was shower raining!I had to convince her that I will come back 5 minutes after I leave my luggage in my room.Thankfully,she didn't insist and we went to the room.5 minutes after as I promised, I was back although the wi-fi wasn't working in my room and basically nowhere around that place!I was there for 40 minutes trying to sort out something that it wasn't even my fault.I asked for a lobby with computers but she told me that there weren't any(!) and she let me use hers from the desk although the wi-fi was the same slow.I got out from my nerves and started crying!I couldn't believe that I had traveled all around Mexico on my own in hostels,get excellent service,wi-fi etc. paying £10/night and coming to Coco paying £70/night and get the absolute NOTHING!Anyway,eventually,I paid the full amount and run to my room.
Now the room,would be great if it wasn't humid 24/7(I had to use a blanket under the sheets so I wouldn't touch the almost wet bed) and if there was some light,tv,internet or anything that could keep you busy for the time you had to spend in there.Regarding to the internet,I was said that all of the area would have the same signal but I was most of the time in Playa Azul and there was no problem at all about the connection there!It says on the website that basic amenities are available but as we were in Mexico and not in India,you would expect at least something more.If not,customers should get informed that there isn't any internet connection there and no electricity as my torch became my best friend while staying at Coco's!
Other than that,I didn't have problem with the mosquitoes probably because of the period.
The showers and the bathrooms were constantly cleaned,so no complaint there.
Most of the times I was visiting the toilets,was a cleaner around...
Another day,we went with some friends to eat in the restaurant because the pizza there was superb indeed!Although,the service was so slow as you wouldn't believe!Tables were left uncleared,while other customers were waiting for a table.Our order was taken from the chef as the waiter didn't come there for the first 20minutes!One of our little guest was waiting for her dessert for 40 minutes and not only this but they charged for it instead of giving it away!They also charge for coffees that we never had.It looked totally disorganized.
My general advice would be,unless you are a backpacker,don't dream of Coco Tulum as a heaven's destination.Yes the beach is there but you will be paying for the accommodation 10 times more for no service.I have done camping many times in the past but this is not the deal for it.
Also,be aware of the crabs!They are all over the place!Good luck!

Room Tip: stayed in cabana 13 which was very close to the beach.If you are a light sleeper,be aware that you c...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Marianninagr
CocoTulum, Gerente at Coco Tulum, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Alexandra,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the whole situation you went through while staying with us.
I understand that while your being here, the weather was terrible with a lot of rain and you had arrived early in the morning around 9am and had to wait until the check in time 3pm to get to your room. We certainly could've done better in the wait service while you were in the restaurant, for sure.
I hope you give us a second chance in the future to show you how a great experience Coco Tulum can be.
I will make sure this kind of situations don't happen again.

Thank you very much for the feedback, as it is our guest's opinions that makes us grow and improve.

Yeye Ramz.