Hip Hotel Tulum
US$215
US$209
US$780
US$743
All reviewsbeach frontgarden viewaway from the roadbreakfast was includeddouble showerfish cevichecabana stylebeautiful beachtulum stripevery morningsouthern endother hotelshotel restaurantchilaquilesspacious roomnight's sleepbig resort
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The chalets are really nice - very spacious with thatched roofs. Try and get an upper level one with a vaulted ceiling. Room service is thorough and efficient and there is easy access to the beach. The absence of aircon was not an issue - the breeze and large ceiling fan were quite nice actually.
But a few gripes. We are covered in bites - as were other users - mainly picked up during the night. I was OK about the ants in the room but the bites - I have about twenty. Bed bugs? I don't know. The restaurant is pretty mediocre - as shame as it overlooks the beach and nicely laid out. But most guests seem to be dining elsewhere. Buns on our burgers were mouldy, meat balls scorched, etc. Staff very apologetic but why not just improve the cuisine - can't be that difficult.
I'd use Hip Hotel as a base but dine nearby - Casa Banana or La Zebra were brilliant. Beach service is also very patchy - in fact, it's practically non-existent.

Room Tip: Get an upper level chalet. Use the beach lounges which are clean and nearly always available. But dine elsewhere and take a strong insect repellent.
3  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed 5 days in hip hotel. It didn't start well as we booked garden view room and were given cabana 19, which was next to building works which started at 7 am. On the other side and in front of the room was a car park and behind the main road. After 1 night we asked to be moved. We moved to room 12 which was lovely, clean, good bed, nice balcony. Didn't get the best breeze, but was manageable. Restaurant tables over look beach, great for breakfast. Limited vegetarian options, but happy to accommodate. Lovely beach and great staff - very attentive and helpful. Great pizza restaurant near by hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 19 & 20.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at Hip Hotel for 3 nights in April and it was wonderful. We had a beachfront superior room. I would concur with others who advise upgrading to a beachfront room to get the breeze since there is no AC. The staff was outstanding and went above and beyond to ensure we had a good stay. It is very close to the Sian Kaan park entrance and there are many good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel - Casa Banana, Simple, Zebra - were all great.

Room Tip: Rooms 16-18 are the best I think
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Didn't get a confirmation from Hotels.com, so when I saw that this hotel had made a full charge on my visa for the four day reservation, I tried to get the reservation person Nancy to rebook the room. However she was not interested in helping the situation at all! In fact, she hung up on me when I called directly to the hotel! So when I finally did get a confirmation number from Hotels.com and cancelled the reservation, I noted that the hotel was completely booked the following day. Hmm she resold the room and had no intention of refunding me any funds at all. I had no help from hotels.com and no help from Nancy or the manager, so I am disputing this with Visa. So as far as I can see this hotel is double dipping and got 1200 US from me and got a full 1200 US from another booking. Not bad money for just one room for 4 days. Not happy with this experience with this hotel at all.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda D
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is worth it if you get a room in front of the ocean. Otherwise it is ok. No AC but a lot of breeze coming in... Too much actually, it brings sand to the whole room. It is great but no more than 2 night because you will eventually need being enclosed to scape from tve wind (tulum is very windy must of the year). The food at the restaurant is good.

Stayed: April 2014