“Pretty good stay”

Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
keller
“Pretty good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 1 week stay at this hotel and I have to admit I was a little skeptical after reading some of the reviews. Overall, it met most of our needs and we had a great time.

Pros: We stayed in room 13 and it was beach front with a beautiful view. The view was slightly obscured by some vegetation, but this was not a huge deal for us. Room 14 might have had a little better view of the ocean. Our room was nicely laid out with double sinks, a large shower and a sitting area with a small table. There was a twin size bed in the room as well for lounging and extra guests. The room was next to the restaurant, but that was not a problem for us. Also, we were able to get Wifi in our room due to the proximity to the restaurant and we liked the convenience of the restaurant being so close to walk to for breakfast every morning. Our room was very close to the beach, literally 30 steps to the first palapa! We walked up and down the beach and viewed many hotels, and this hotel seemed to have the most beach chairs available and one of the widest sections of beach. The chairs were always available and very comfortable. The staff at reception were very accommodating and set up a diving trip for us very easily. I got a massage at the hotel and it was wonderful, prices are comparable to in the states.

Cons: Service was hit or miss on the beach. Most of the time, we had to walk to the restaurant to order drinks and though it is not a long walk, it is inconvenient to have to get up from the beach chair! We are early risers and there is NO COFFEE available until 730 a.m. every morning. It would be great if they could have coffee available at reception or in the restaurant earlier for guests! The coffee is very good and the lattes they sell in the restaurant are awesome and available all day long! The food in the restaurant is hit or miss also. Our first lunch was not great, but we had dinner there one night and it was delicious. Breakfast is pretty good as well and they keep your coffee cup full once you arrive. Room service could have been better, they never took my old coffee cups out of the room or replaced our water glasses, even though they were visibly soiled.

The lack of air conditioning wasn't a huge issue since we knew ahead of time that there would be none. The breeze is pretty good to the room, but if I had a choice, I would prefer air conditioning due to the humidity. All in all, we had a great time and would definitely consider returning.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth the extra money and extremely close to the beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
aliveunique, Public Relations Manager at Hip Hotel Tulum, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thanks for your review, I like the way you point that our hotel do not feature AC, that is the way it is....

Hope to see you in Tulum on your next visit....

HIP HOTEL TULUM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had an upstairs room with ocean view. Initially I was a little disappointed that we didn't walk straight out onto the beach but actually I think we had it better as our room offered more privacy and we also didn't trek in quite so much sand. The view is not completely unobstructed and you can see trees and other cabanas in front, however the view is still lovely. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bathrooms are of good size and with clothesline, a must when on the beach. We did miss the aircon and wouldn't have wanted it to be any hotter, some nights it was just a bit uncomfortable. There is a hammock and table and chairs outside which was nice, especially because it was very windy while we were there and this offered us a little more shelter from the elements. Because it was so windy the sea was a bit rough and we couldn't go smorkeling which was disappoining, but of course one can't control the weather and Tulum is beautiful regardless. Silvia at the front desk went above and beyond to help us, and organised a tour for us in Sian Kaan which was excellent. We had originally booked to go snorkeling at Akumal but she came to find us the night before to explain they hadn't been able to go out that day due to the weather, and the weather wouldn't be that good the next day so would we like to cancel. The rest of the staff from housekeeping to the restaurant was also very good. Breakfast in the restaurant was average so we didn't eat there again, although we did enjoy some drinks on the terrace on a couple of occasions. There are plenty of excellent restaurants nearby including Casa Banana and Simple. Just remember that some of these resturants don't take credit card so you must pay cash. They do not seem to care if you pay USD or MXP. Silvia recommended several excellent options to us and we could walk to them all (although some were a longish walk but we loved this along the beach).

Room Tip: Ocean view for sea breeze and top floor for privacy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We have been coming to Tulum for years and have stayed in the best boutique hotels from Coqui coqui, Ahau, Las Ranitas etc. they all have their own specialty and were always great. But if you don't want to pay big bucks but stay literally on the beach, foot steps from the water, top of with great service and happy folk always there to help, and I almost forgot super child friendly! Then Hip Hotel is you pick! Loved everything about it and traveling with an infant is not easy, buts from Nancy at booking to Silvia at the reception, they where so helpful in every way.

• Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I got the cheapest room -$159--because I was there to attend a wedding next door at the glorious Suenos. The room was clean, spare, well-appointed and I didn't mind that it overlooked the car park since, on the second floor, all I saw was the tops of trees, although I did miss a shaded place to sit outside. The lack of A/C was a problem the first night but not the second. Apparently it's important to get a room with ocean breezes! The complimentary breakfast was so mediocre I preferred to go elsewhere and pay. The second time I went into the restaurant it was for ice cream--and they were out! The housekeeping staff, also, is lame. I was out all morning and when I returned to my room for a nap at 2:00, it had not yet been cleaned. The worst thing was that important things started disappearing--my glasses case, watch, sleep mask…I thought I'd lost them, but I don't generally lose things…as I was leaving, I don't know why, I was inspired (thank you God) to open the drawer of the bedside table--which I'd never opened before--and found a collection of my belongings! That said, Tulum is so glorious that no matter what your accommodations are, it's better than being anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Carol D
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The chalets are really nice - very spacious with thatched roofs. Try and get an upper level one with a vaulted ceiling. Room service is thorough and efficient and there is easy access to the beach. The absence of aircon was not an issue - the breeze and large ceiling fan were quite nice actually.
But a few gripes. We are covered in bites - as were other users - mainly picked up during the night. I was OK about the ants in the room but the bites - I have about twenty. Bed bugs? I don't know. The restaurant is pretty mediocre - as shame as it overlooks the beach and nicely laid out. But most guests seem to be dining elsewhere. Buns on our burgers were mouldy, meat balls scorched, etc. Staff very apologetic but why not just improve the cuisine - can't be that difficult.
I'd use Hip Hotel as a base but dine nearby - Casa Banana or La Zebra were brilliant. Beach service is also very patchy - in fact, it's practically non-existent.

Room Tip: Get an upper level chalet. Use the beach lounges which are clean and nearly always available. But...
3 Thank Tony M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed 5 days in hip hotel. It didn't start well as we booked garden view room and were given cabana 19, which was next to building works which started at 7 am. On the other side and in front of the room was a car park and behind the main road. After 1 night we asked to be moved. We moved to room 12 which was lovely, clean, good bed, nice balcony. Didn't get the best breeze, but was manageable. Restaurant tables over look beach, great for breakfast. Limited vegetarian options, but happy to accommodate. Lovely beach and great staff - very attentive and helpful. Great pizza restaurant near by hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 19 & 20.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at Hip Hotel for 3 nights in April and it was wonderful. We had a beachfront superior room. I would concur with others who advise upgrading to a beachfront room to get the breeze since there is no AC. The staff was outstanding and went above and beyond to ensure we had a good stay. It is very close to the Sian Kaan park entrance and there are many good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel - Casa Banana, Simple, Zebra - were all great.

Room Tip: Rooms 16-18 are the best I think