Be Tulum Hotel
Ranked #25 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We were lucky to spend one afternoon/night at the Be Tulum as part of a promotion that their sister hotel, the Be Playa, was offering. By staying four nights at Be Playa, we were offered one night here. I remember looking at pictures months ago and wishing that some day we could check out the Tulum hotel……….and then we did!

Transportation was provided by Be hotel and it was very professional and prompt. We arrived to check in at Be Tulum about 1pm and our room was not ready yet. I love that the check in desk was basically outside on the sand, with the workers in bare feet. We weren’t in Kansas anymore. I should mention that while we’ve been to Cancun and Playa about 30 times, this was our first experience with Tulum.

Since our room was not ready, one of the friendly staff showed us our way to the beach and got us set up with a bed. We relaxed for a few hours, enjoyed a drink, and got in some reading. It was very quiet – a few couples sitting out on beds reading, but no talking or music. Ahhh, relaxation at it’s best.

Around 3:30 my hubby went back to the desk to inquire about our room. They told him it had been ready, but they didn’t want to interrupt us on the beach. He came back to get me and was worried about a few things……….the room included an outside shower, and all water in the room was salt water. Loved that! He was worried I would be upset (what am I? High maintenance? LOL).

The room was amazing! I have to assume we were given the lowest room category simply because of the promotion, but we were more than pleased!! We were on the second floor, and the roof was thatched, so we felt like we were in our very own hut. The room was huge, had that cute little hot tub, a King bed, sitting area, nice balcony…....and yes, and outside shower (and inside one too). LOVED it. I couldn’t’ wait to use the shower. It was mostly private, although if someone really wanted to look up and see you, they probably could. Didn’t bother me, jokes on them!

The front desk gave us a bottle of mosquito lotion. When my hubby asked if we needed it, she kind of laughed and said OH YEAH. At night they come out in full force. However, I was never bit, and we enjoyed a drink out in the dark at the bar.

We were ready for dinner early that night as we had skipped lunch. Around 5pm we called the front desk to enquire about getting a taxi to Mezzanine (thanks to Trip Advisor recommendations, this is where we chose to dine for our one night in Tulum.). The wonderful front desk person suggested she call the restaurant just to make sure they were open. She called back a few minutes later to let us know it was, that she made our reservations, and the taxi would be here in 10 minutes.

Taxi ride to Mezzanine was 90 pesos, ride back to le Zebra for drinks was 50 pesos, and ride back to Be Tulum was 90 pesos. Yes, were taken, but the taxi driver was in no mood to negotiate so we gave in.

Arriving back at our hotel, we were told the bar was open until 10pm – another 30 minutes. We went up and had a glass of wine. Excellent service here again, but only a few people enjoying it. We turned in early…….well, there was nothing else to do.

In the morning, we took advantage of the complimentary breakfast. We understood just continental (juice and rolls), however we each decided to order an entrée an found out at check in that one entrée per person is also included. Very nice.

Time to check out and go home. We loved our stay at Be Tulum, but to be completely honest, I don’t know if Tulum is right for us at this stage in our travels. We do like a bit more activity and options, but when we are ready to return, Be Tulum is going to be on the top of our list. We are recommending to everyone looking for this type of relaxing vacation!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ZsaZsa
BeTulum, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear "ZsaZsa",

Thank you for your incredible review and such nice words!

We are very lucky to have amazing guests like you who stay with us from all over the world!

We would really love to see you again!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

We had a fantastic time at the Be Tulum! Really nice and efficient staff! The food is just beautiful! We believe it is definitely the best boutique hotel in the Riviera Maya!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 18 April 2011

BeTulum was amazing! Not only was the staff so kind, accommodating, and knowledgable, but the facility was beautiful. I loved the furniture used for beach relaxing - the giant beach beds made laying out on the glorious beach and hanging out with friends so comfortable. I felt very safe on the resort. And the breakfasts were terrific!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linnyp6
BeTulum, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Dear "Linnyp6",

Thank you for your most kinds words! We do everything we can to make sure our guests are comfortable and have the best stay possible.

We hope to see you again soon around these magical beaches of Tulum!

Reviewed 14 April 2011

We had our wedding at Be Tulum March 24-27, 2011 . We rented out 19 of the 20 rooms and invited our best friends to come celebrate with us. Everyone had an amazing time- from the welcome to the goodbyes from the friendly staff. We planned all of the details with Ana at the hotel and she surpassed all of our expectations- she had bikes, cars and accommodated any special requests. The staff truly went above and beyond what we anticipated and requested. They made the weekend memorable beyond belief!! I never write reviews, but Be Tulum sincerely deserves all of the praise it gets! It is the best hotel in Tulum- nicest rooms, friendliest staff and amazing food. The hotel is such a magical relaxing place to spend a holiday. Go and stay in Ocean 16- the best room there.
We will be going back each year and so will our friends. They all said it was the best destination wedding they have ever been to and my friends are all spoiled New Yorkers.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear "lifeissoamazing",

Its so nice to read kind words like yours! We really did our best to make your wedding as amazing as possible. We are glad to see that all the efforts paid off!

We hope to see you all again enjoying our hotel and the beautiful beaches of Tulum.

Thanks for your nice words!

Reviewed 14 April 2011

On the plane back from Tulum, just a great trip. Bottom line is the hotel staff is excellent, the rooms (with A/C!) and beach is second to none. They do not cheap out on the free breakfast like most places. First class all the way. Even if you want more of a party seen, like in Cancun or Playa De Carmen, I highly recommend you stay in Tulum a couple of days for pure relaxation and great service and food.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The rooms and beach are as advertised on the website-which means they are stunning. Beautiful and chic and comfortable. I did not love the restaurant since they did not serve "mexican" or really fresh fish for dinner-trying a little too hard to be cosmopolitan for dinner. Otherwise breakfast is fantastic, fresh fruit.
One other tip. They use salt water for the shower and faucet. My hair was fried after the vacation...just realize this before you go. There are plenty of other places in tulum which are less expensive but from what we could see, nothing as gorgeous as this hotel and we looked at most of them. Oh and don't expect to work while there! My phone only got reception if I went into the street- so I had to take a conference call sitting in the parking lot.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Be Tulum staff were incredibly attentive and helpful. My partner and I had flown all day and she was on crutches with a broken foot--so we were a little nervous about her ability to get to the room and around the hotel--but as soon as we arrived the staff assisted us and made sure every detail was in place for us to enjoy our stay and my sister's wedding. Ana, the hotel owner was amazing!! She was just like a family member throughout our stay! The hotel planned all of the details for my sister and made sure the entire party was comfortable! It was the best weekend EVER!!! My partner and I have booked a room to go back in October after her "boot" is off....and she can enjoy the beauty of Be Tulum...and all it has to offer.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are incredible! Beautiful!