“Beautiful”

Ranked #23 of 93 Hotels in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We just got back from 4 nights at Be Tulum. Tulum itself is gorgeous, rustic and charming. Be Tulum is a slice of luxury. Huge rooms, hot tubs, tasty food, etc etc. We had a problem one night with insects dropping from the roof in our room, a nasty fright in the night. However, it was dealt with immediately - we were moved to a different room and the manager came to see us and offered to reimburse for that nights stay which was great. We had a spa treatment which was LOVELY - only feedback would be that the sauna was not very hot and the steam room smelt a bit but the massages were superb. I also had the Limpias treatment - I enjoyed it very much but was a shame my therapist didn't speak any english as I would have loved to asked her questions to understand a bit more about what she was doing. We will be returning!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hanniboo82
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear "hanniboo82",

Thank you very much for leaving this great feedback! Thanks also for your helpful comments and suggestions about the spa.

Be Tulum Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

**resubmitting yet again. Visitors of the hotel should be able to review their customer service experience, Be Tulum. Thanks for providing potential paying guests this sort of customer service transparency instead of reporting any review that is not 100% favorable. **

The good: the property, and (most) of the staff.

The not-so-good: the insincere receptionist working the afternoon of 17 Dec 2013.

I had arrived in Tulum on 17 Dec 2013, had checked into my hotel, and was exploring the area seeking a snack. After a short walk down the road, I discover Be Tulum. I enter the property seeking the restaurant, am greeted at reception, and continue on my way to the restaurant area.

Pretty quickly, I notice a beautiful pair of chairs and lights in a grove. I am a professional visual designer, travel consultant and mobile photographer by trade, so anything artistic naturally captures my eye.

Out comes my mobile phone to capture the beauty of Be Tulum. After three photos... I am approached by the man at reception who asks if I am a guest. After saying that I am visiting and am seeking the restaurant, he doesn't give me directions to find the restaurant. In fact he's pretty vague with that piece of information.

He is, however very clear in stating that: no photographs should be taken of Be Tulum property, that it's 'mal duende' to do so, and that the property owner states that no photos be taken. He asks then if I understand, and then finishes his speech tossing in the term 'rude' for emphasis while pressing his hands together as a gesture of 'namaste' that was about as sincere as his welcome.

Our conversation prior to that was entirely in Spanish, naturally, so the addition of the term is definitely intended to push a persona-non-grata message home. Talk about discouraging potential paying guests!

Yikes.

Luckily, I decided to continue onward and proceeded to the restaurant and bar area, where had a few beverages while a storm came and passed, and left.

During that two hour period while I had my beverages, I met the wonderful and amazing 'other' staff. The pleasant staff. All of them---once you pass the entrance, that is.

When asked, the staff that told me that photographs are absolutely fine. Therefore, I've posted the (very few) photos that I took of the property during dusk in a storm.

From what I see, Be Tulum has a beautiful property. And very pleasant staff except for the Dragon at the Gate.

As for the 'no photo' policy, I want to hear official confirmation of that before I decide if I ever want to become a guest in the future. Especially since seeing other photos of the property posted on Trip Advisor without issue.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank katkage
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear “katkage”,

we are surprised to once again see your review published here after being deleted by TripAdvisor the last two times. You were finally allowed to rate a hotel you never ever stayed at, damaging our reputation and score. This totally defeats the very reason of hotel reviews, doesn’t it?

We tell every non-guest that we don’t grant permission to take pictures of our premises, and we are sorry you didn't like this privacy rule.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

RICH HIPPY. My friends and I just got back from Tulum and our stay at Be Tulum, and even in the Toronto light of day, still talk about the dreaminess that is this place. While there, I was thinking about this review and inspecting every nook and cranny of this hotel. Yes, the damp salty air has its way with rusting and wearing all the beautiful natural materials that the resort is made of, and yes, there's a little dust here and there (in places only I would notice!), but the bigger picture overwhelms with incredible beauty, tranquility and luxury. We visited other resorts to see where we'd stay on our return to Paradise, but frankly, there is no other. From the lush landscaping and blue-tiled plunge pools at many doorsteps, to the luxurious - not tacky - AC rooms that have been carefully designed with the sophisticated traveler in mind (leather butterfly chairs, fluffy duvets, round jetted tubs, distressed wood finishes, natural plank flooring we're busy importing into our homes, stone sinks, private toilet rooms, floor to ceiling windows, vaulted roofing in upper rooms and sliding doors on the 'rain' forest), everything whispers relaxation. Think NO CONCRETE. Just white sand slipping through your toes, even as you exit your room.The fragrant scent of the ocean and forest permeates everything; I didn't wash my clothes for days on return to the city. The intimate infinity pool and boho chic barefoot dining areas also impress, but the beach is the final say with giant 'bean bag' loungers, chairs, TIKI bar, service, etc that tell you you're in the right place. The gentle, cool trance music wafts over the pool, dining and beach area, and there are old fashioned bikes at your disposal to roam the Tulum boutiques and restaurants. Don't even bother reviewing other hotels along this strip. There is no other.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a splash pool, if available. If not, don't worry: they're all fabulous.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Ellen Z
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear "Ellen Z",

Thank you so much for the lovely words about Be Tulum! You seem to have discovered the real spirit of our hotel.
And thanks for the great pics you shared!

We hope you can visit us again soon on this beautiful part of the world!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Be Tulum for a friend's wedding there. It's a remarkable place, with incredible service and beautiful design. Food was excellent as well. The staff is super friendly and eager to help, especially the dining staff.

We really liked the casual atmosphere-- breakfast on the beach, with a cocktail and smoothie shack next to us. Overall, it's beach casual with a luxury twist.

Our room was #5, one of the jungle rooms I think. It was nicely designed, very spacious. Loved the outdoor shower option. We didn't end up using our private pool, as it was a bit too cold for us, plus the ocean was way too inviting.

A definite do over.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike_sf123
Dear "mike_sf123",

Thank you so much for the nice feedback! Weddings at Be Tulum are very special, and we put our hearts and minds into them. We love to know you had a good time here.

We hope you can visit us again soon on this beautiful part of the world!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We found Be Tulum Hotel on tripadvisor,and decided to book a room for 3 nights. No regrets!. Defenitely made a great choice. Tulum itselfs is a beautiful beach in the caribbean, and having a room at this place was defenitely a plus, it was paradise! Do not miss it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear "Samantha S",

Thank you for the nice feedback!

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

What a place...wow! From the arquitect, the staff, the beach, the chef, everything was great. The new Spa is also amazing. Congratulations to all the people involve in this hotel.
Try to ask for an upper room, I think are better than the others.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank msimonf
Dear "msimonf",

Thank you for your great comments! We are thrilled to learn that Be Tulum has been so memorable to you!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here after 3 nights in Encantada which was so amazing I thought it would be hard to match, but Be Tulum did it. There was an initial surprise when we were asked to pay for the room for all nights as soon as we arrived, we wanted to check the room first and it turned out not to be ready... but from there on it was plain sailing. Service was great, the room was so amazing and the beach, restaurant and walkways in the jungle was so cool and well thought out. Having breakfast on the beach was bliss. It is hard to describe the feel of the place, but it was very cool and relaxed with great people staying there. The beach was stunning and the hotel and surroundings felt so well put together. It was truly a great experience.

A couple of things to mention, only because I want Be Tulum to be the best hotel in Tulum; it was quite easy to hear people in the next door room, the air conditioner leaked if it was set too cold - but that is really all. It did not have an impact on our stay and we will definitely stay there next time we go.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fortheloveofreise
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear "fortheloveofreise",

Thank you so much for your incredible feedback! Reading such words is a reward to all the work we do to make that happen. Thanks also for the constructive comments.

We look forward to welcome you again very soon on this beautiful part of the world!