“Bad service - located behind the road!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yoga Shala Tulum

Yoga Shala Tulum
Ranked #23 of 115 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Bad service - located behind the road!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

The website looks nice, but that's about it.
As other guests already said: the service is bad.
We had a private room booked for three nights. On arrival the girl at the front desk told us that we had rooms 3 and 4 - meaning that after 2 nights we had to pack our staff and move to another room.
She also had charged my credit card already for the three nights - without ever asking how I would like to pay. She cancelled the charge and I was allowed to pay in cash....

When complaining she could not help us, we should talk to the manager-which we did the next day. He's some arrogant american telling us that this could happen anytime and would be normal.
Strange that it never happened before.
But in the end complaining did not help: no upgrade to one of the upper rooms (which are nicer) no discount given.

Just take any other hotel / cabana nearby . there are many choices.
And Yoga Shala is not even located on the beach

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BjoernK19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I aren't yoga devotees but we're looking for somewhere peaceful and affordable in Tulum - and this fit the bill perfectly.

When we arrived, our booking was nowhere to be found and the receptionist was missing, but it was all handled very calmly and smoothly and within a few minutes we were shown to our cabana. It was rustic from the outside (Palm roof, Dusty floor) but spotless inside with a very comfy bed, mosquito net and fan. We also had power points (always my obsession) and good WiFi.

The bathrooms are shared but as clean as you would expect from outdoor/camp style ones and we never had to wait to use them.

The location is great, just a minute over the road to the beach. There's a nice bar in the hotel right opposite, not as expensive as some in the area and a nice laid back vibe. Nearest place we could find to the hotel for drink/food was the supermarket in town, so stock up!

Only problems we had were the electricity generator being a bit noisy (right by hut 14 where we stayed) and also hiring bikes. We had asked when they opened as we wanted to cycle up to the ruins before breakfast to beat the heat and crowds. Unfortunately there was no one around... we had breakfast, still no one around. When we asked the maid, she said no one would be there til midday! We just walked up the road and hired them at another hotel, so no problems, but would have made life easier to get it straight from the doorstep!

Overall a peaceful, pleasant place to stay in Tulum that we would recommend! Thanks!

• Stayed April 2013
bklynyoga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night before teaching a yoga retreat elsewhere. I would totally come back and recommend it. The owners were lovely, accommodating and helpful. The room was simple but great- clean and comfortable. The energy is positive and I felt very safe and happy at the location.

• Stayed February 2013
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Did not stay at this property but did purchase a week pass for the studio. I'm putting this review on here because before arriving in tulum I struggled finding a studio to practice at. I simply sent an email with questions and got a speedy response. Class options were great - wonderful staff- serene studio space. It was perfect for my practice while away. Just show up to class and money is handled afterwards. I was a bit confused when i arrived but it all worked out great. I'll be going back for more classes and a stay for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank mikelreid
Philo, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

I ended my Mexico trip at Yoga Shala and could not have been more happy. Andrew and Akal were so helpful and wonderful to be around. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was amazing and accommodating. Yoga classes were affordable and well taught...what else can i say? This little spot was amazing! Thank you Yoga Shala for an amazing end to our trip!

Oh and the last day we had room 11, upstairs with a great view of the jungle and a swinging bed! Awesome!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ramsayone
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

I am so exicited to have found this place! I did yoga here last year, and loved it, and was excited to come back for a little more yoga, and stay here this time as well! First of all, I can say enough good things about Andrew, who was so kind in getting back to me in booking my room, and is such a gracious host. Andrew and Akal are both such great people, and so helpful and kind, such a great plus for a traveler as myself there on a solo trip! I LOVED my room...I stayed up on the top floor with a open air view in the bedroom and the bathroom too! The view out over the jungle was really like being away from it all. The bed was super cool, and was actually hanging from the rafters, and was very comfortable. The bed had a great misquito net over it, but all the windows were carefully covered as well, it really kept all the misquitos out and little critters too, even though I actually loved the sound of the Geokos at night! The whole property is very intimate, and feels more like a guesthouse than a hotel, which I loved. Yoga Shala is right across from the beach, and there are some great places to walk to and eat as well, and they even have bikes to rent to go exporing, it was so cool to get on a bike and go for a ride there, you really dont need a car. I took a bus down, and then a cab , super easy! They have cute cafe right out front as well. The yoga is basically right out your front door, so it was really convienent to get up every morning and do a class. The classes there are really great, and the instructors too were fantasitic, its a very unique atmosphere being there doing yoga, I already cant wait to go back. Thanks for a great getaway!

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on the top few floors, but all the rooms are cool and a great value for anything c...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank elizacass
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Andrew and Akal have created a little oasis in the heart of Tulum. It’s their heart, good nature, and being over all so kind that has made my stay at Yoga Shala a place where I will surely come back. Yoga Shala is a very simple, clean stay. The beds and the pillow are very comfortable. I stayed in the room with shared showers and it was perfectly fine as they are a few steps away from the room. WIFI is included which is nice! Andrew and Akal have also created a place where the people who come were all friendly and we had the opportunity to talk in the open spaces.

I practiced yoga up twice a day. The teachers were generous with their time. As a newbie to yoga, they corrected my postures when needed. The yogal shala is across the street from the ocean, so at night, you can hear the waves from your room. For the price, the human contact, this is a sure shot!

If you're gonna come from the airport, Also try Olympus tours. It cost me 30$ shuttle one-way. Definitely an easy way of getting here if you're not going to rent a car.

Room Tip: I tried three different rooms... and they were all fine. The two rooms the side of the garden were n...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo