“Super friendly staff, laid back atmosphere, great yoga experience”
Review of Yoga Shala Tulum

Yoga Shala Tulum
Ranked #30 of 116 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Super friendly staff, laid back atmosphere, great yoga experience”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The hotel is just across the street from a breathtaking white sandy beach. I recommend renting a bike at the Shala to explore the area. It's a half hour bike ride to the Mayan temple and into town: there's a big supermarket there.

Rooms are clean and comfortable. Luxurious beds with good mosquito nets. Also screens in front of the windows. Had no problems with mozzies inside the room. Every room has a good fan, no A/C. Lovely garden and common area in front of the building.

WIFI works best in rooms at the front of the building. No internet at night.

There's a juice bar at Yoga Shala which serves Italian coffee and amazing breakfast salads. There's a little kitchen on the premises, you're not allowed to cook diner there. Also, there's no fridge. Plenty of AMAZING restaurants at walking distance. My favorite: Hartwood.

Staff is super friendly. It can be difficult to find staff in the evening, so make sure you let someone know when you plan to arrive. My experience is that everyone (from the cleaning lady to the receptionist) are very willing to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Yoga classes are professional and on time, 3 times a day. Class room is clean and peaceful... Be sure to dress light as it can get pretty warm.

I recommend this place wholeheartedly for solo travelers, couples and friends!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cusco, Peru
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with my husband and it was just an awesome stay. Although the hotel is not at the beach front, it only 10 - 15 meters from the beach. So you can still hear the waves crashing when you lie awake at night.

The rooms were great, and the linens seemed to be brand new. There is no air con but the breeze from the sea keeps the rooms very fresh. You also get towels and there is also a great, modern kitchen where we cooked. But I think the best part is the Yoga classes that take place in the garden, and the amazing buffet breakfasts with European Bread, Jam, Nutella, Fresh Juice and delicious cheese. We also rented their bikes and cycled around Tulum. Highly recommended stay for anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2013

For a quaint, yoga retreat, Yoga Shala has just the basics of what you'll need. A quiet room with a lovely outdoor yoga studio. My husband and I stayed at La Luna for nine days and decided to spend the last day at Yoga Shala becauase every other place we checked was booked. The rooms were ok, although it was hot despite the ceiling fan plus a portable one used beside the bed.

The bad part about being on the nature reserve side of the road (versus the beach side) is the bugs. The mosquitoes are significantly worse and we did spot a roach in the shower before we went to bed. I also found a scorpion in my suitcase when I got home. Yes, a scorpion. I am 99% sure it crawled in our last night at Yoga Shala as our suitcase was scorpion free at La Luna. My husband and I travel to tropical places quite a bit and should have known to put our bags up on the table provided.

Just something to keep in mind!

I wish I would have taken part of the yoga classes since the rest of the reviews raved about them. We just didn't have the time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank AubreyNicole
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Yoga Shala Tulum is a fantastic, minimalist, yoga oriented retreat. It is on the Nature Preserve side of the road, so very quiet. The atmosphere is relaxed, fun, and the retreat is full of the nicest people I have ever met in a foreign hotel.
They have an access agreement with the Ahau hotel across the road, for fine dining, and glorious beach relaxation or kite-surfing!
The rooms are very minimal, and very quiet. There is an onsite cafe which serves smoothies, meals, and a wicked espresso.
Yoga classes are 4 times daily, with different styles. They also offer any kind of massage body work you can imagine, at additional cost, with some amazingly good practitioners. The yoga instructors are extremely good, and people come from up and down the beach and all over the world for the real deal chakra alignment and focus, with a large side helping of envigorating sweat!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Conan M
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Spent a day here enjoying the place and having a morning Power yoga. I've been to hot yoga in Austin, Texas in August and the class at Yoga Shala made me sweat more. The people are great and the service is always with a smile. The people here are what you expect, people who share a warm spirit and are seeking what you are: alignment. In Tulum, you'll get it not only from the place but the people. Yoga Shala and other places here will make your skin tingle. Definitely a place to stop, stay and pray.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MegaJustice
Reviewed 29 April 2013

It was not what I was not expecting what I walked into there – partially my own fault for not researching thoroughly enough, and part that I would have never known. You don’t have to be into Yoga to stay there, I did not take classes… but expect a yoga-type community. There is no AC, which we did know about and is common among many places along the beach strip of Tulum – but it is not on the beach, it is on the other side of the street and the breeze is less there than on the beach. Because YogaShala (and most of the hotels) don’t have power lines and run on solar etc, there is 1 outlet in the room. We used that for an extra little fan we bought. There are no fridges in rooms, but a shared cooler in the “kitchen”, which had many bugs and sometimes lacked ice. You are not allowed to put meat products in that cooler. They did have a water cooler with purified water in there which was a plus. They say beach front access – but really you go through Ahau Tulum across the street. I still haven’t quite figured out if they have a deal with Ahau Tulum or you just use that beach. They said “you can use their chairs if you buy a drink or something”. We did so without buying a drink, but felt like we had to hide our own drinks we brought. The front desk had inconsistent hours, she frequently would be gone for 1-2 hours at the beach, so you never knew when someone would be there to answer questions. No one is there overnight after 7ish PM. We stayed in a room with private bath – it was very cementy, everything, shower, floors, walls etc was cement. Surprisingly, barely any bugs in the room….though a small lizard did get in there through cracks in the door. There was a table / central area for people to hang out and downstairs room had couches outside to sit in in the shade, which was nice. The other staff there, folks taking care of the property cleaning and upkeep were very nice! And trustworthy – we had valuables like ipads, laptops etc out without worry. On the ground floor we slept safely with the windows open also.
All in all, for a hostel-type place I suppose this was on the nicer side (stayed in private bathroom room, not shared), but if you are used to anything nicer, this is bare bones. I will say, you probably will not get a ton more for your money there - if you want nicer beach front and AC, expect to pay double.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for private bath room seemed worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Capo44
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I just returned from Tulum and was blown away by the community. The town is swarming with a like-minded community of locals, tourists, and expats all congregating together in a pristine environment. What a treat it was to stay at the YogaShala. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the yoga teachers are wonderful and sweet, and the staff and owner of the place make it seem like you're not just on vacation but that you've arrived home. It's on the jungle side of Boca Paila, but no big deal. You just walk across the street and you're there!! There is also a sweet little cafe right outside. The man and woman who run the spot add a special taste of love into everything they create. I'd recommend it to anyone and the rates make it affordable for most. I'll definitely be back. Special thanks to Laura who runs the reception. She's wonderful!!

Room Tip: I was here both solo and with a friend. Both solo and double rooms were clean and quiet. Although...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends