“Luv tulum”
Review of Luv Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Luv Tulum
Ranked #27 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Great hotel overall. Obviously as on the beacj, its very hot but the sea breeze is cool. Try and get a beachfront room as they are cooler than the rest and have beautiful views of the sunrise. Rooms are very nice, very clean and well decorated. The staff were very accommodating, and the set up of sun loungers etc on the beach was great. The restaurant had delicious food, and very reasonable compared to other places in the area. We had a car, which made travelling around much easier.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank izzy a

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I think this place has its pros & cons.

Room

The rooms are beautiful when you first arrive, really romantic with the four poster bed &the sound of the ocean. We stayed in Paz which is a second floor room on the beach front, highly recomended if you are staying here, one of the best rooms. We were here in June & it was blistering hot, so hot that we had to open the doors of our cabana as the fan was useless..we woke up after our first night riddled in bites despite the fact that the mosquito net was over our bed..there were birds nesting in our roof also which was slightly unsettling.. By our third day there was sand everywhere & we just wanted out..

Location

No doubt the beach is beautiful but you are pretty much completely confined to the area in which the hotel is located unless you are a fan of getting taxis everywhere. There are a number of nice albeit overrated and pricey restaurants in the vicinity but the street has no lights whatsoever so when it gets dark, it's quite dangerous. The light outside our room didn't work so it was a task at night to find our way in the darkness.

The food in the hotel restaurant was better quality (&value) than other places in the area however the waiter did ask me a few times if I was actually staying in the hotel even though I'd been ordering drinks & food every single day from the bar/restaurant.. Dare I say, it was slightly snooty, without any reason to be.

Overall, we paid over the odds for this place considering the subsequent places we stayed along the Mayan Riviera. I was most looking forward to Tulum but found it to be, not so much rustic, but more full of posers, snooty & overhyped.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jill_Dublin_12
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I fell in love with luv Tulum when I walked into the lobby. It is beautifully appointed and makes you instantaneously relax. The beach is beautiful, with chairs and beds enough for all guests - vastly different from the mad dash for chairs at large resorts. Breakfast was quite good - fresh fruit, great granola, but they ran out of yoghurt a few times. We had dinner there one night, too, and it was quite good.
The staff were nice enough but, for the most part, we felt like an inconvenience rather than (well-) paying guests. We tried to organize an event with the manager and he is not given enough leeway to make decisions - this made planning a wedding there rather futile.
That said, we did love the hotel itself, and would go back, despite all that. It was average in terms of value.

Room Tip: We had a king suite ocean front, ground floor, the western most one, right next to neighbour hotel C...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My wife and I and our two children (6 and 9) stayed in the double queen bed room Caracol for 9 days in late July/early August. My wife is English and has traveled and stayed in hotels of all shapes and sizes all over the world. I am American (Texan) and had close family living on a sailboat in the Bahamas for 12 years that I visited regularly so I have spent a lot of time in various Caribbean settings. We both loved Luv Tulum. It is a boutique hotel, of course, so everything is human scale. Everyone there knew us personally by the end of day one. The staff were not formal and uniformed smiling-robot desensitized-cogs in a mega-resort machine. They were genuine and personable. Different and interesting. The property itself is also human scale. There were no more than 12-15 people staying in the handful of huts/rooms that make up the hotel while we were there so often we were the only ones in the restaurant, on the beach, or in the lounge chairs. There were Italians, Danes, English, French, Mexican, and Spaniards. I believe I was the only American. The beach is excellent. No rocks, calm and smooth in the morning, excellent body-surfing in the afternoon. This part of Tulum is a several mile long peninsula lined one after the other with boutique hotels. Each has its own theme and character and restaurant. So, there is plenty of diversity in food options and overall character. I highly recommend ordering Lina's Feast at Las Zebras, which is a couple doors down. Fantastic meal. Also, Simple across the street is A+ for fresh local seafood. OM and Casa Violeta are good too. There are two places in Tulum Town that we loved. One was Panna e Ciocolatto for homemade gelato and the other was a restaurant a few doors down called Don Cafeto, which is truly authentic Mexican. I have been to Playa and Cancun several times. This stretch of BBs in Tulum is hands-down the most authentic, most enjoyable place in the Maya Riviera. As far as Luv Tulum, it is not for everyone. If you love loud bass thumping activities with some dufus urging people over a nauseating loudspeaker to put their hands in the air like they just don't care or not to let the dogs out or get their Macarena on or whatever, then don't go to Luv Tulum. Luv Tulum is almost totally and completely quiet (except for the ocean, which is so close by that is a constant and quite loud background). There is an almost constant wind in this part of Tulum, which makes it seem 10 degrees cooler than places north like Playa del Carmen, Cancun, or even the mega-resort areas like Dreams Tulum where we had family staying while we were at Luv Tulum. This wind makes a huge difference in August. Other notes...my 9-yr old son caught two 3 ft barracudas while trolling and the Luv Tulum folks graciously turned one into ceviche and one into cross-cut steaks. He'll remember that feast forever. Daisy referred us to a captain that took us snorkeling and fishing for a fraction of the price and just by ourselves, not with a big group. Definitely do Hal Ku. Get a guide at the Tulum ruins. Cenote Manati is nice for a morning trip and then there is a great snorkeling boat right across the street at Casa Cenote. Cheap, great snorkel guide. Thanks again to Gloria de Barcelona for everything!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Lyle R
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at luv tulum for a few nights and actually switched back to this hotel after a bad experience at the neighboring one. I would definitely recommend the corazon room to friends, it was comfortable and very well decorated! The management and staff were extremely nice!!!!
Gloria and Daisy at reception were extremely friendly, the manager was always there and made us feel at home. Local fishermen delivered fresh lobster and fish to the hotel daily.....on a spear, no joke, it was very cool to see....

Room Tip: We liked corazon even though it was not right on the beach
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jillian M
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My boyfriend and I opted to stay at Luv Tulum from 16-18th July. There is a vast choice of beach cabins in Tulum however Luv Tulum caught our eye so it was there we decided to stay and we weren't disappointed. On arrival we were greeted by the lovely Fernando who assisted us with our check-in. Due to an administration error we had been booked in for the 16-18th August instead of July however Fernando very quickly resolved the situation and offered us the last remaining room which was available for two consecutive nights at no extra cost and then Pedro carried our luggage to the cabin whilst Fernando gave us a tour, explained how things worked, breakfast hours and then left us to settle in. We were fortunate enough to stay in NUBE which is the best cabin in the resort. NUBE has two rooms with a smaller bed in the back room along with a toilet, shower and covered terrace. Complimentary toiletries and lovely soft bath and beach towels were provided as well as bottles of water which you could fill up from the main water machine in the reception as much as you want. I thought this was genius as the resort is quite far from any supermarket it saved us going out to buy bottles and encouraged us to keep hydrated. WIFI was free and we were lucky as we got the best WIFI reception in the resort as our cabin was next to and above the restaurant where the WIFI point is. WIFI is also free and available in the reception area. WIFI is very important to my partner so this was a plus! We had breakfast included in our rate and it was delicious, as much tea/coffee and orange juice as you could manage along with fresh bread, butter, jams, then finished with an enormous portion of fresh tropical fruits, yogurt and granola. YUM! Extras were available, such as huevos rancheros, scrambled eggs etc and the chef was happy to substitute our fruit salad for a cooked option. We spent our days lounging and sunbathing on the cushioned sunbeds outside our cabin, along with the sunbeds there was also a double sunbed and several hammocks which were quite a novelty. The selection of sunbeds, both single, double, hammock style and hammocks was plentiful and noone struggled for space. We were right by the sea so spent a lot of time in the water, the Caribbean sea is beautiful, crystal clear and warm. The beach is so white and sandy. Paradise:) A plus point and something very cute is that at night the turtles come out of the sea and slowly walk up the beach to lay eggs, Fernando did explain this when we checked in so we made a point to go out one night and watch. Super cute.

We did spot a baby lizard or two in our cabin but they were cute, I spotted the odd ant or butterfly too but this is to be expected in a jungle, beach area.

We would definitely go back to Luv Tulum and probably stay for longer, our short stay was due to a short time in Mexico and we travelled round Quintana Roo and Yucatan so needed all our time! If you haven't been go and if you have been then I'm sure you'd go again! Pepe and Fernando - muchas gracias and keep up the fantastic work, you should be very proud.

Debbie and Mehdi x

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I visited Luv Tulum for a long weekend as a birthday gift from my boyfriend. From the powder white sand to the basic layout of the outside loungers, this place could coax anyone into relaxing. Everyone in reception..Daisy, Fernando, and Gloria were very helpful. They assisted us in getting reservations for activities and made sure one of our requests for a modification of our room was fulfilled. The restaurant is so so for anyone who does not eat sea food, but breakfast is very fresh and healthy. Staff is friendly and calming. We had drinks on the beach every evening that were great! If you are looking to hang on the beach all day, you couldn't get any better than Luv Tulum. My only disappointment was the room (hut) itself. I knew it would be rustic, but I didn't know that there would be a million ways for bugs to get into the room. We stayed in a room called Sueno, which on the website is "ocean view" as opposed to "ocean front". I think this is false advertising as the only way to see the ocean from the small window is to sit in the window seat. I think for most travelers ocean view means you can see the ocean without having to get right next to the window. Since sueno is tucked in between two other double level structures we were pretty hot every night without the direct ocean breeze to cool things down. The hut's thatched roof hangs down so low that you have to duck to get in the door. I would imagine this would feel quaint and cozy to some, but for me it was like crawling into a tent. Inside it is VERY rustic with paint drippings in the corner and open storage for stuff. The bathroom is fine, but this is where the bugs come out at night and there is only a heavy fabric for privacy. The bed is surprisingly comfortable with quality sheets. The front "porch" area was perfect, with sturdy chairs in the sand and here you DO have a nice view of the most gorgeous beach and ocean. So, there are nicer places to stay in Tulum, but Luv Tulum is quite nice and welcoming...just make sure to get a room that is actually facing the ocean and I think you will be satisfied.

Room Tip: Only go here if there is a "beach front" room or it is a cooler month. A higher room woul...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple