“It used to be My place.... But...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Hemingway Romantic Eco Resort
Ranked #73 of 93 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had stayed in Hemingway for about 6 times since 2008. When I first stayed there, this place was outstanding by any means. It was serene, dreamy vacation. Our first times were so great we did not care the prices were higher than others-- it was worth it. I sent over so many friends over the years. It was intimate, very attentive, the food in their restaurant was delicious. We always stayed in the Jaguar (which is the beach front cabana and very spacious)

The last two times I've been there was very poor. In my opinion, outrageously expensive for what you get. (Like by double) I went with my husband and it was so so-- Prices went considerably higher, we did not like the hospitality at all, felt like they were just too busy to run the place...and we have been going there for a while! ... And I thought, well, maybe it was this one time, and then I took my mother and a friend and of course raved about this place prior to our arrival.

The room was a garden room. no view and small. Fine. We did not have any hot water, and after they changed our room a day later, we still had to take a shower in a different room every day. Problem happens, but every time, we had to wait for a long while for someone to come in, and then, that someone had to stay in our room for a while to fix the problem. It was not just that. We felt like we were second rated guests and that's not what I call a good hospitality at all. To say my mother and friend did not like the place would be an understatement. My mother left a ring in our cabana and when I emailed them asking for their help and to see if they find it, I got a short message back: NO. The restaurant is still very expensive, but the food is not as great as it used to be.Super oily, same menu almost every night. It seems like they lost their touch, the magic is gone, and it's just a business trying to make money. The price is not worth it. Period. maybe they got tired, I don't know. Still, It's a shame, because I loved that place, but I wont be back anymore. The only thing I will miss will be their cinnamon coffee...

Our last time we chose a different place not too far away, and it was amazing. better rooms, half the price and great service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank liat-geographic

Reviewed 26 February 2014

hemingaway is a little place right in front of the ocean, you will find yourself bewithched by the blu and white of the place. Very simple cabanas, sometimes no light and the tap water is brownish but this is part of the charm of the place. The silence and the brids'calls at night envelops you to a distant world and in a couple of days you will find yourself completely tuned and relaxed.
Breakfast is simple but tasty, with freshly squezzed juices, homemeade jams and deliciously yummy cakes ( even these baked every day). The restaurant have nice tasty food, cooked on the moment and I must say, people is very friendly and willing to help or suggest places to visit

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at Hemingway in January 2013 and it was an absolute dream. We returned December 2013 and had quite a different experience - mostly at the fault of its proximity in between Amansala (Home of Bikini Boot camp). Everything I wrote about Hemingway in January holds true minus the vibe that is killed by the crowds at Amansala. Perhaps it was a stroke of bad luck. We spent the mornings watching a motley crew of twenty or so middle aged women and men tossing coconuts, yelling and running up and down the beach while a buff trainer blew his whistle repeatedly throughout the workout right in front of our hotel. Imagine this while trying to enjoy the tranquility of the morning sun and ocean views during breakfast. I'll never stay here again for this reason.

All that aside, Hemingway is lovely, charming, the staff are nice, and they have a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mona M
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My son and I arrived on December 26, 2013. I was so happy to be away with him and share a new experience. After a private yoga class, I was approached by Adriana, the manager. She said that she was expecting me to check out that day. It was the 29th. I had purchased expensive plane tickets for my son and I to stay a week. Paola, the owner had made a mistake. She stated through email that the only availability she had was on the jungle side and until January 29th. NOT December 29th. I had contacted many places and some were booked until February so what was I to think?! January 29th is January 29th. Paola was unapologetic and truthfully has a negative demeanor in general. I had noticed this before this all happened. Paradise can't help this poor soul. Adriana was very rude and said that if I didn't pay the fee, she would have to call the police. Now that I think about it, I should have let her because I had the email to prove that they were wrong. Adriana also said that she has kids to feed and that she is too old to get a job elsewhere so she has to act according to how Paola wants her to. Well Adriana chooses to work with a miserable person and treats others miserably. That is the choice that she makes in life. As I searched up and down the strip, there was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing was available in town either. My son and I were stranded in Tulum. Paola adn everyone who subscribes to this type of behavior is heartless. The experience was so heavy and miserable. I will stop here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Evet S
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We returned for another stay at Hemingway and fell in love with the place all over again. There just isn't a better location or a more welcoming staff to be found. Hemingway's new resort manager Adriana is a fantastic new addition. She was warm, knowledgeable and helpful with all aspects of our stay. She even sent me home with a special recipe.

Hemingway now offers yoga 6 days a week and we took a class with Tasseo. He's amazing and completely passionate about teaching yoga and the yoga pavilion is the ultimate place to stretch, breathe and take in the beauty of the oceanfront.

Malena is still on site (as well as Tasseo) for massage. I partook in three massages while we were there and she is simply amazing. If you go, do get a massage with her in the outdoor cabana. You can hear the waves crashing while she works out all the tension in your body.

Juan Carlos is the new waiter/host in the restaurant. He is born and raised in Tulum and was so attentive and made sure we got just what we wanted each time we ate in the restaurant. Eggs have also been added to the morning breakfast selection. It was nice to have another option and the huevos Mexicanos were nice and spicy.

The women who tended our cabana are so sweet. Carmen in particular is a doll and decorated our bed with elaborate mermaids and swans from fresh towels and flowers from the property.

We felt pampered, relaxed and so happy that we picked Hemingway again. It truly feels like home away from home in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Many thanks to owner, Paola, for creating such an easy place to find relaxation.

Room Tip: It's a secret. :)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Travelled to Tulum twice this year, and most recently stayed at Hemingway. I had a flu the week before arriving, so was still a little low on energy and needed to chill - and this was the perfect place. The grounds of Paola's little hotel/resort are beautiful - so simple and using white beach sand for the little paths between the main reception/kitchen area and all the bungalows.

Friendly staff - and Paola was lovely and very helpful and obliging in changing the dates of our stay which got altered slightly by a change in flights.

Breakfast was great every morning - and food from the kitchen at night time was fantastic - great pasta, great fish and lobster - all very fresh and very well done.

We stayed in the Arrecife bungalow which was nice as it was set back slightly from the front of the beach which a) stopped any wind noise at night and b) meant it was a little more private than I think the 2 front bungalows would be.

The bed was pretty comfortable, the rooms is clean and bright and airy and opens out directly onto white beach sand - luckily the first couple of nights we were there, the sea turtles were hatching and a couple were flipping around in the sand right outside the room - pretty cool.

Stayed at Papaya Playa the previous trip and hated it (need to review it also) - especially compared to Hemingway, Papaya Playa has lackadaisical service, a very cheap, and a not necessarily clean vibe - very 'hippy' - which shouldn't be an excuse for dirty, lazy and overpriced.

Hemingway has a lovely vibe about it, much more sedate, simple, and sophisticated than any of the other properties I visited while in Tulum - I think its a really great option to base from in Tulum - enjoy the peacefulness but then you have Amansala immediately next door, and then all of the other restaurants and resorts up and down the main road.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My wife and I went here for a romantic week. Everything was great. we had the 2nd floor oceanfront cabana above the bar. Beautiful views from our hammocks on our private deck. The food was very nice, the breakfasts (included) were particulalry good.

The staff left us alone but were always nearby if needed. i would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Noise above the bar was never a problem- not a loud bar at all- usually a few couples and perhaps so...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple