“Lovely and mellow”

Hotel CalaLuna Tulum
Ranked #66 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My fiancee and I stayed in cabana #4 for two nights in January last year and left wishing we could stay for 2 weeks more. Large, lovely, clean room, and a sweet balcony w/ hammock and views. Cabana #6 has even better views if you have a chance to snag it before somebody else beats you to it! The breakfasts each morning were perfect, with lots of fresh fruits and other delicious buffet-style choices in addition to a main dish that you order. Very satisfying. Staff were all very friendly and accommodating.

Great location as it's not too far from town and the ruins, but also a hop skip and jump to the long stretch of gorgeous beach to the south. We also quite liked some of the dining options within walking distance -- Mateo's and Zamas were our favorites. Both had some really great live music most nights.

The beach is great and I spent a lot of time bodysurfing there, though I would say the swimming and bodysurfing is a little better off of the long beach to the north (near Mezzanine and Paraiso) and the long beach to the south. But La Conchita's small, secluded cove is perfect for taking it easy and absorbing the sun and beauty of the place.

We loved the low-impact policy of lights out/candles only at 10pm. It also happens to be quite romantic! Highly recommended for people who like a low-key, ecologically responsible, rustic, and naturally beautiful vacation experience.

Room Tip: Cabana 6 seems like the best bet, but we loved 4 as well. Cabana 1 is on the beach, which is great...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billy B

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent 3 days at cabañas La Conchita and it was really awesome. Great location, beautiful cabañas, with a very secluded and beautiful beach, close to nice shops and restaurants and 15 minutes bike ride to Tulum pueblo. The staff is really nice, helpful and make your stay easy and comfortable. Breakfast is included and it is fresh and delicious!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hans e
Reviewed 12 May 2013

My family and I spent 6 nights in Cabana number 2. We traveled with our two children 8 and 10. The place was perfect! The cabana was in great condition and was very roomy. The beach was also wonderful. It basically is a private cove area but plenty of space for everyone to hang out and relax without felling crowded. There were a few rocks when we were walking in the ocean to play in the waves but then you hit a big sand bar so the rocks were not that big of deal. Some areas you could walk out and not hit any rocks. The breakfast was wonderful and the staff was very friendly. The location is ideal. You have access to a small grocery store if you need pop,beer or chips etc. This was really helpful when traveling with small children who needed the occasional snack. The were also shops and restaurants within walking distance. We also stayed at Playa Azul for 3 nights which is a bit south. That area is completely different. We did not like it as much. I would give Playa Azul a 3 star. It does have more amenities like wifi and a restaurant but it was more expensive and the atmosphere was more of a party scene. The beach is crowded and you are always getting bothered by waiters or locals trying to sell you stuff. I would highly recommend Cabanas La Conchita

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank tlbcolorado
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Cabanas la Conchita do not appear to have their own website, but there are plenty of reviews on line and the description from the booking agent (differentworld.com) was fairly detailed, so we knew pretty much what to expect. But only when we arrived did we fully appreciate the quirky piece of paradise we had come to.

This place is not for everyone – thank goodness. If you want somewhere with all the mod cons then forget it. If you cannot live without wi-fi and a hairdryer then this is not the place for you. If you are young at heart, or remember when you were (!), you will love it.

As we were warned, the lighting only comes on from 19.00 to 22.00 – the power is generated by solar panels – and after that you must rely on candles. But what could be more romantic than to lie under your pristine white mosquito net and watch the shadows on the palm leaf roof above you. And no, there is no power supply in the rooms but there is are sockets in Reception, so if you need to recharge your phone/camera/etc then the staff are always pleased to oblige.

Breakfast is served in an open air dining room - fresh fruit, granola and yogurt for starters; fresh coffee, tea and juice; and eggs however you want them. There is drinking water in the rooms and a chiller box is supplied (with a daily ice delivery) to store whatever cold drinks you want to stock up on.

Our room was big, airy and always spotlessly clean – a great blend of style and simplicity. Our balcony had a perfect view over the Caribbean and from our (slightly fraying!) hammock we could watch the pelicans diving and the changing moods of the sea. It went from still, turquoise waters to surfing waves during the 4 days that we were there. And most days when we went down on the beach and sat under the palm trees there was no one there to spoil our view.

All of the staff that we encountered were charming, helpful and informative - even when our embarrassing lack of Spanish was a real hassle! They could not do enough to make sure that our stay was a happy one.

La Conchita was clearly built by craftsmen and furnished with love by someone who has a keen eye. Maybe a new coat of make up is required, but the beauty here is more than skin deep. It really is a special place.

Room Tip: #1 is considered 'pride of place' as it is right on the beach edge, but we were very happy w...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AndianaOxfordshire
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I loved this place so much and did not want to leave!!!!! After a horrible experience in the Blueberry Condo, this was a welcome sight! Staff was wonderful, the location is simply amazing. It is close to everything you can want, the rooms are awesome. They kick off the electricity at certain times since you are in the jungle, and candles are provided giving the place a nice warm feel, so if you are a prima-donna you will not like this. It is very safe, secure, and chill and you are steps to the beach! The hotel offers an amazing free breakfast, even huevos rancheros, fresh fruit, coffee and the best orange juice I have had. There are tour places beside it if you want to see a cenote or snorkel, a variety of bars and stores, and it was really peaceful. Nothing like opening your door to a perfectly secluded beach for relaxing!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raegan L
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We spent 4 nights at cabana #1 at La conchita and it was....ok. A lot of people seem to love this place and the reviews on this site led me to choose to stay here. Let me tell you what didn't work for me. The biggest thing is the beach, it's rocky and kind of rough, small and you can't walk down the beach. I thought I would be able to climb over the rocks to walk but you can't. There are no umbrellas on the beach which I find very strange, if you get out there early enough you can claim one of the 2 palm trees for shade. No wifi, I know, I shouldn't need it on vacation but I want it! And I want to be able to scroll thru pinterest and lay on the beach and drink a beer! Almost everyone on the beach has wifi, it wouldn't be a big deal to add it. No outlets, not even one, you have to find someone on the property and have them charge your phone or camera or whatever. They have electricity in the rooms from 6-10 it seems like it would be pretty easy and convenient to put one outlet in every room. The cleaning here left a lot to be desired and believe me I am no neat freak. We didn't get towels everyday, had to ask for them. The breakfast, fine, nice, some cut up fruit, yogurt, granola and a selection of some eggs, pancakes, the usual. People on this sight are freaking out about how wonderful the breakfast is I just didn't see it. My daughter had pancakes(bis quick) I had Mexican eggs that came with tiny little crunchy toasts and a blob of black beans. It was ok but not great. The room itself is nice and the location is fun, there are lots of little shops and places to eat. The man who swept the leaves every morning and did general clean up was the sweetest thing in the the world but the guys running the front desk where kind of "checked out" We stayed the rest of the week at a place towards the south beach and enjoyed it much more. With all the amazing choices of places to stay on the beach in Tulum I would have to say I would not return to LaConchita.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank lime999
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We can't say enough about our favorite spot in Tulum. We keep coming back because of the simple elegance, wonderful staff and beautiful beach. We also love the easy location to many great restaurants and shops. The ambiance is so peaceful and if you need to de-stress....this is the place. The breakfasts,which are included, are wonderful and I dream about the french toast all year. The rooms are squeaky clean with a tropical feel and crisp sheets on comfortable beds.We have booked for next year and are counting the days til our feet are in the sand. Thank-you LaConchita for another memorable vacation.

Room Tip: Casita#1 is almost a stones throw from the ocean!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple