“Best spot on the beach”

and 1 more site!
Villa Las Estrellas
Ranked #56 of 100 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at Estrellas in March 2014 - finding it to be the most perfect spot on the beach. I can honestly say i was blown away when entering the hotel. It has such beautiful views, atmosphere and friendly staff, it was a very exciting entrance and lived up to expectations. I was staying at the hotel with my husband and 22 month old daughter, who was made very welcome and really enjoyed the proximity to the sea. We made the most of the hotel's restaurant, which was top rate and spent a great deal of time sipping on the Margaritas (definitely the best we had in Mexico - what a claim!!).

The thing that made this hotel stand out was it's laid back atmosphere. Staff made you feel very welcome and any requests were quickly seen to with a ease and a smile. I would not hesitate to come back here - in fact, I really hope we do!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed being in room 1, as it allowed easy access to the beach, which was ideal for our daughter...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NewYorkyLondener

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I live in Playa del Carmen and often travel to Tulum. I stayed at this lovely hotel. We stayed at Suite #1 with a lovely garden. The rooms are very clean. the only disappointment was that one of our cell phones was stolen, definitely by a housekeeper. We left the phone on an outdoor hammock with other things, left and when returned it was gone. We often receive phone calls from the phone by a staff member. We offered to pay for the phone, just for the contact info on the phone. Beware, some of the housekeeping staff is not honest. Don't leave valuable around!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank MariaInMexico
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We recently stayed here at the end of February. I'm super picky about hotels so I was hesitant in choosing something that I was unfamiliar with. I had previously been to Tulum and stayed at Casa Violeta, which was booked, so I tried Villa Las Estrellas. This is by far my favorite hotel now!

I absolutely loved our ocean front suite (#1) which has it's own front "yard" and patio area that is kept private by a cute picket fence gate! Both areas have plenty of seating and two hammocks.
The room was very large and spacious with fans and an iPod docking area - they even have mounted speakers in the room. The bathroom was very large and the water pressure and shower were perfect too.
I would only recommend that they expand their menu for breakfast although the complimentary continental was delicious if you want something on the lighter side.
The service is great and the staff is so friendly - I love that they know you by name!

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend Suite #1
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jenniferyu
Reviewed 27 January 2014

For me, a great stay in Tulum requires a lovely, small, quiet, super-comfortable, clean and safe hotel with a superior beach, onsite dining and friendly service. Villa las Estrellas scores high by all these measures. With just six rooms, three separate bungalow-suites, a small restaurant, and staff members who greet you by name (and sometimes with a hug or kiss on the cheek), I would liken VLE to a lovely inn, rather than an impersonal hotel.

It is beautifully landscaped and simply but elegantly decorated. Deluxe rooms have spacious sleeping, bathing and outdoor areas with gorgeous views of the beach and sea. The king bed was firm but comfortable by Mexican standards, with nice bed linens and towels; I just wish the pillows had been softer and higher quality but others might not mind so much. Hot water was plentiful and the room was immaculately cleaned each day, which is no easy feat given all the sand tracked in from the beach! I loved being awakened by the sunrise each morning, but if you want to sleep in, be sure to bring an eye mask because the curtains will not block the light. Lack of A/C was not a problem; in fact, I was terribly cold one very windy mid-January night because the room was drafty. Wifi was mostly reliable in the room and on the beach, and it was great to have 24-hour electricity. Room safe was a plus, as was the security guard who patrols the premises at night.

VLE is very well located on the beach road. If you can tear yourself away from one of the comfy loungers, you're within walking distance of lots of yoga (Shambala, Uno, Ahau, Yoga Shala & Utopia). There is also excellent nearby dining (Hartwood & Casa Jaguar) and a few shops as well. The beach in front of the hotel felt especially roomy and quiet because there are no hotels on either side, which is not always the case in Tulum. I loved the lack of neighbors and the peace and quiet, but if you prefer more of a scene, you'll want to stay elsewhere.

Breakfast was included and very good, especially the coffee, fresh papaya and croissants. I occasionally snacked for lunch (guacamole w/chips; chicken quesadilla; fish tacos) and had one dinner onsite which was fine but nothing special. Service was always terrific (thanks to Fernando, Joel, Paco, Rafael, Mario & Pepe), so I'm not sure about the complaints of others on this site.

All in all, I had a lovely week in one of my favorite places in the world. I just wish VLE charged a little less so I could afford to return more often.

Room Tip: Corner deluxe rooms are quite spacious and I'd imagine the bungalow-suites are even larger.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Innl0ve
Reviewed 20 January 2014

For day two we decided to explore further down the beach. Upon doing so we stumbled across Villa Las Estrellas which seems to be one of the more upmarket boutique resorts along the beach. A really love spot with a nice, quiet stretch of beach. As long as you eat and drink in their restaurant they're happy for you to use their facilities.

We set up on the beach and then grabbed breakfast. We ordered yogurt, fresh fruit & granola and scrambled eggs. All was very good and a nice way to start the day.

Not wanting to stray too far we also had lunch at the restaurant. We opted for their Chicken Quesadilla, Deep Fried Squid Rings and Chips. Not the healthiest of lunches but it was what we fancied. The quesadilla was homemade right down to the flour tortilla (makes a welcome change from corn tortillas). The Squid was nicely battered and crispy. It was served with a chipotle mayonnaise. The chips were pretty standard but did the job. The food was all made fresh and very tasty. They also make their own bread on site all of which was really good. Again, it made a pleasant change to have bread instead of nachos. As to be expected it's at the pricier end of Tulum for food but you're paying for the location and service.

The beach itself is small and pretty quiet with comfortable loungers. Their wi-fi is pretty good covering the restaurant and most of the beach. The staff too were very friendly. Definitely rate as a place to hangout for a day on the beach.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Admittedly we came to stay here following a visit to the far superior hotel Encantada, but we came for a different experience. The hotel itself is located centrally on the long strip of beach, and to look at appears fun and atmospheric with a nice dining area (although the food is forgettable). The rooms are average, ours was damp which wasn't due to bad weather. But what really lets this place down is the staff, I'm sad to say. One previous reviewer commented that the staff wouldn't be falling over themselves for you. That was an understatement. Ambivalent, lazy and even rude, we were quite shocked. Shame, as this could be a great place. There are plenty of other hotels to try in the wonderful Tulum, wouldn't return to this one.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobbyrockers
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Just returned from a fantastic 8 night stay at Villa Las Estrellas over the Christmas period.

Villas Las Estrellas seems to be among the very best places to stay in Tulum. It is one of the most isolated in that there is a big gap on either side of the hotel with empty beach (very important for me!) and also one of the smallest (c. 8 rooms). Depending on how you plan to play your holiday (i.e. how active you plan to be), there are different factors that matter. For us, it was all about a nice room, a nice beach, good guys running the place and a good breakfast. Villa Las Estrellas delivered on all of these with ease. The things that really stood out for us were the incredible beach (which to be fair, can be found at most places in Tulum) and the phenomenal guys running the place. Pepe, Mario, Paco, Joel, Rafa, Fernando - if you take the time to chat with these guys a bit, they will ensure that every day is as fantastic as can be (great recommendations, lovely service etc)

Tulum is not the place to go if you are after a super luxury experience. All of the hotels on the beach have their own generators and therefore there is not air conditioning to be found anywhere. Fresh air is provided via the incredible fresh sea breeze that blows most days, and can be enjoyed from the hammocks which are liberally strewn around the entire beach. However, the important things, such as clean towels, an immaculate room, 5 star service are all present.

For those people that are seeking a true beachy experience, where you forget what time/day it is, ignore your phone (although there is great wifi if you want), forget what a telly is, and generally leave the real world behind for a week, this is the place

Room Tip: Upstairs in the main house or a beach cabana.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple