“A question”
Review of Dolphinaris Tulum

Dolphinaris Tulum
Ranked #22 of 89 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphinaris Tulum at Bahia Principe Resort combines the best features of our dolphins, with beautiful tropical surroundings.The facilities feature the innovative concept of traditional platforms that provide shallow, beach-style access to conduct interaction programs safely for any visitor.For the convenience of swimmers and observers, we have located various service areas within our facilities. These service areas include: check-in and customer service, induction hut, a new room where classes for the Trainer for a Day program are conducted and our photo & video store.
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Can anyone help please. I was going to book for July but it says on booking form no jewellery. I have bangles that I have had on for 30 years and they don't come off now due to my hand being bigger. Is it acceptable to cover them over with a wrist band or bandage them over. Thanks

1  Thank Marian C
DOLPHINARIS, Community Team at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear visitor,

Yes you can cover them with a wrist band that is not a problem. If you can just contact me after you made your reservation so I can make some notes on your reservation so you have no problems at check-in. contactus@dolphinaris.com

We invite you to visit our live chat on our website to receive the latest promotions.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Pros: Beautiful, well organized and clean. The weather was perfect and the staff was very helpful ...at first.

Cons: Only $95 for a swim with the dolphins. Sad really when you see eight dolphins packed into a swimming pool for the tourists enjoyment. Although, if my math serves me correctly just the swim (minus the picture costs afterwards) are bringing in aprox $2500 an hour for the resort. Big bucks to keep running crowds all day through this swimming pool to have a brief encounter with a dolphin. That's about $150,000 a day for six hours!!! Valuable commodities wow !! This is a Mexican money maker. Cheapest $75, most expensive $145 per person.
That is a lot of pesos amigo !! Ethical or not. its a clear profit,...forget about the dolphins I guess? They are there to make money six hours of every day.

Now for the not so fun part. pressure pressure pressure to buy buy buy the entire photo package and DVD as well. ONLY $ 179 per person WHAT ?Ahhh no thanks. Ok ,so I just want the $29.95 pkg (one photo of my choice)..easy? NO They sent one lady and then another more aggressive man and then another even more aggressive man to insult the fact that I am "so cheap" . I stuck to my original plan and bought the one photo but wow the prices drop, change and quickly alter when you hesitate and the pressure erupts from every person they send your way.. That part was unnecessary. Never going back

6  Thank Sober20yrs

Dear visitor,

We appreciate your feedback about your visit. Dolphinaris apologizes for the way you feel about your visit.

In regards to the photos, our prices are at the current industry market price. We offer several different packages and prices to give you more selection. Also we have several different ways to receive the photos. The photos make a great souvenir to take home.

Thank you for choosing Dolphinaris.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Great experience, but when it came time to buy the pictures you felt like you are being robbed. We did not buy any pictures, you pay enough to swim with the dolphins then to pay $300 for pictures is just ridiculous. I know when we were there only 1 person purchased pictures. We were all talking to each other and if they were a lot cheaper we all would of purchased them. They would make so much more money if they were more affordable. Not sure in Mexico but you can buy cd's for practically nothing.

Dear visitor,

Dolphinaris appreciates your feedback about your experience during your visit here at facilities. Our team is delighted that you and your family had a great experience.

Thank you for your preference in Dolphinaris.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

The only reason we even considered doing the Swim & Ride experience ($99 USD/per person) was because we were given a 2 for 1 coupon by the resort. Advance reservations are not required but recommended. Showed up at 11am and we were booked for 12pm. All staff and trainers were very nice and the dolphins appear to be well cared for. Regardless if the pool size is to code, it still felt small. The experience lasted about an hour - 15 minute briefing, 45 minutes in the pool. While we didn't feel like it was rushed, I can see how some guests would. It is well organized and run like clockwork with several groups on different sides of the pool at the same time. All activities that were part of our package were received as advertised.

As for the pictures/DVD, as others stated, the prices are incredibly high. We considered purchasing a few, as the photos are very nice, until the sales person came by with the price chart. The smallest package which included three printed pictures was about $75 USD. The large package which included all the pictures on a CD and a DVD was upwards of $350-400. We basically laughed and walked away. Didn't get 10 feet outside the door when one of the managers chased us down. She asked if we didn't like the pictures. We said they were really nice but would never spend that kind of money. Without hesitation or having to do any sort of negotiating she offered us the DVD and all 60+ pictures on a CD for $105 USD. So in the end we caved and spent the money. Not so bad considering we essentially paid half price for the actual dolphin swim experience. How can they charge so much? That's easy. People will pay it. We saw a few family's not bat an eye at the price and drop the $350-400 USD for the full package. Overall we are VERY happy with the photos but the DVD quality is quite average and grainy.

Overall we did enjoy the experience but would not have paid full price and probably wouldn't do it again. Try negotiating on the price of the pictures but be prepared to walk away empty handed if they call your bluff.

1  Thank Jjt75

Dear visitor,

We are happy to hear you and your family had an amazing time here swimming with the dolphins. Our goal is for our guests to receive the upmost experience, activities, dolphin education and leave with smiles on your faces, the perfect way to make unforgettable lifetime family memories.

In regards to our photos, the photo and video department offer you several different packages and prices in order to give you a selection to choose from. Our prices however are at the current industry market price.

Thank you and you are always welcome.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We just got back from the Gran Bahia and swimming with the dolphins was something our daughter wanted to try. She had a fine time but when we went to look a the pictures that were taken we were shocked a the price. And then when I came back I checked the reviews for this place and I see that people have been complaining about this for over a year and everytime they do someone from the attraction writes that there are many packages available and that they are looking into the complaints. After a year you would think things would change but they haven't at all so why bother saying you are looking into it. It was a total ripoff and I am so mad that I don't have any photos of my daughter doing the attraction. I realize we don't HAVE to buy the photos but who wouldn't want to have some of this experience? It's not like we can afford to do this every year. I just find it hard to understand why the attraction goes through the bother of taking so many pictures and then makes it pretty much impossible for normal not rich people to afford to buy them. Even if it the price was $40 for the cd of pictures I would have paid. But the prices they ask are horrible.

3  Thank liz123010
DOLPHINARIS, Community Team at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear visitor,

We appreciate your feedback about your visit. Dolphinaris is happy to hear you and your family had a wonderful time with the dolphins.

In regards to the photos, our pictures are based on the current marketing prices.

Thank you for choosing Dolphinaris.