“A Day Excetional in Many Ways!”

Conciencia Tours & Travel
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Day Excetional in Many Ways!”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I wanted a different experience from the one I had two years ago when I took an unsatisfactory tour of Chichen Itza with a large tour company. This year I searched Trip Advisor for a tour of Tulum that would satisfy my interests and needs. I sent emails to two tour organizers explaining what I wanted in a tour, and Adrian came back with three options for me. The one I chose included a tour of the Tulum Mayan Ruins, an authentic lunch at a small ocean front resort, and snorkeling at Akumal. You can take one of his standard tours or have him customize as he did for me.
Adrian is an expert on the culture of both the ancient and present day Mayans. He is a teacher who desires to share his knowledge and passion for the history, ritual, and beliefs of the Mayans. He made Tulum and its ancient residents come alive for me while also pointing out the animals and plants. All during the tour, he used his iPad to enhance my understanding by showing me pictures, diagrams, and maps.
The small resort, Hotel Zulum, in the town of Tulum, is right on the beach. The view was incomparable; the conversation leisurely; and the lunch, delicious. A pitcher of freshly made lime juice was thirst quenching and refreshing. A Great Frigate bird soared above the beach, and an added treat was seeing the resort’s owner beach his boat and haul in a fresh catch of lobsters!
The snorkeling was a new experience for me—at age 70! Adrian’s experience also includes snorkeling and diving. He patiently taught me what I needed to know, and I felt completely safe and comfortable in his care. The water was warm and exceptionally calm at Akumal because of the proximity of the reef to the shore. We were out about a half hour and saw several sea turtles. Adrian had prepared me for what I would see and informed me about the habits of the sea turtles. I hired a photographer who took underwater photos, and I am very happy that I have a CD documenting this wonderful experience.
Everything went perfectly on this tour from the early morning when Adrian’s driver picked me up at my hotel until the early evening when he dropped me off. The driver was very pleasant, and the van was more comfortable than huge buses used by the big companies.
My experience was perfect, unique, and expansive. Adrian, in addition to his many talents and knowledge, is a wonderful and wise person. You will be in good hands with him.
Elaine D. Johnson

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Not responsive”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I contacted this particular tour operator twice over email and they never responded. So I chose instead another operator in the area and glad I did.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank dve2z
Adrian P, Propietario at Conciencia Tours & Travel, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, I understand that the holiday season is an important time for traveling preparations and I apologize for the inconvenience that we could not help you with your tours.
Being an important year, we decided to take the holidays off to spend time with our families and the Mayan Community, as this also was a very important year for the Maya.
Furthermore, I will like to thank you for choosing the services of local tour operators in Tulum, with your help we able to promote sustainable travel in the Mayan Riviera.

Kind regards.
Boca Raton, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Adrian & Conciencia Tours get an A+!”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My friends and I went to Mexico for a little couple's getaway. We stayed at Dreams Tulum and found Adrian and Conciencia after doing some research online before our departure. We did the sea turtle/ruins/cenote tour and the whale shark tour. Both tours were excellent! Adrian was knowledgeable, relaxed, and accommodating. He took his time with us. We never felt rushed or pressured. All of the food we ate with Adrian was delicious! It is difficult to put your trust in someone you have never met but I assure you from the initial set of emails, Adrian was professional while ensuring us that he would handle all of our concerns. He set up all of our transport and activities. Adrian helped make our trip AMAZING! Thanks Adrian! I would highly recommend Conciencia tours. If we are ever back in Tulum we will definitely be checking out some of the other tours he has to offer!

1 Thank Aja C
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Adrian is a fantastic guide; Perfect trip!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

A group of 6 of us (3 couples) went on vacation together and stayed at Dreams Tulum; we were looking for some adventurous things to do that would also teach us a little something about our beautiful surroundings. This led us to Adrian and Viajes Conciencia. Adrian was phenomenal! From the first time we contacted him through his website email, he was quick to respond, full of information about what we could expect, and always got back to us in a timely fashion when we pestered him with more questions. We did two tours with Adrian: the first day we went to the Mayan ruins at Tulum (neat to see, but much better to do in a small group where you can hear everything your guide is saying and you get there before the crowds, when it's peaceful), swimming in an amazing cenote (perfectly clear, clean water with caves you can swim through with just a snorkel), lunch at a local spot on the beach (deeeeelicious fresh food, the best fresh fruit juice, and enough time planned in for a quick siesta in the hammocks on the beach), and then to Playa Acumel for swimming with green turtles (a once-in-a-lifetime experience; absolutely breathtaking to be right next to these endangered turtles in their native habitat). Adrian made sure we always knew how to be respectful of the animals and their environment, he made sure we had good equipment, and we always felt safe everywhere we went. The second day of our tour with Adrian we did THE coolest adventure possible - swimming with whale sharks!! Adrian explained why we shouldn't be afraid (why the sharks are in this area, what they eat - plankton, whew! - how to best swim next to them to get the best view, why it's dangerous for the animals to touch them), and then jumped in with us to guide us through the experience. Another once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Within just the first few hours of our trip Adrian became a friend with whom we shared great conversation. I can't recommend Viajes Conciencia enough - you won't regret choosing them over any other tour operator in the area. If it costs a little bit more, it's because you get THAT MUCH MORE of a wonderful experience. So worth it!!! Adrian and his tours are what made our vacation worthwhile!!

1 Thank Jen S
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent Bilingual (French/English) tour of Chichen Itza with Delphine!”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My family (American) and my husband's family (French) organized a big family vacation in Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya. My father suggested we go visit Chichen Itza together, and as we were such a large group (10 people), we figured it would be best to organize a private guided tour.

As only my husband and I were fluent in both French and English, the rest of our family was not. It was a challenge to find a reputable private tour company in the Yucatan that could handle our language needs, but Viajes Conciencia stepped up to the task. Our first contact with the company was via email, where we exchanged several informative emails with Adrian, who was very prompt in answering and providing lots of information. As Tropical Storm Ernesto was forecast to hit the Yucatan, Adrian was very helpful in helping determine the best day to tour Chichen Itza. I really appreciated the flexibility and timely communication, which helped us to finally choose a date for the tour.

Our tour guide was Delphine, co-founder of Viajes Conciencia. She was very prompt and extremely professional. Our tour started with an early morning hotel pick up at 6:45AM. Waking up that early while on vacation was hard, but we soon realized that starting early meant avoiding tourist hordes at Chichen Itza.

We made our way to Playa del Carmen to pick up Delphine, who warmly introduced herself to us and explained the activities of the day in both English and French. Our first stop on the way to Chichen Itza was Tulum, where we were treated to fresh croissants and real Italian cappuccino and espressos. As the company is greatly concerned with preserving the environment, Delphine brought two large thermoses of purified water and tamarind juice, and provided reusable water bottles for our group to use and refill as needed. She also provided bananas and snacks for the duration of the day.

The trip to Chichen Itza took about 2-2.5 hours. Delphine filled the time showing us maps of the region, recounting Mayan history and culture, as well as the Mayan Prophecies of the end of their 5125 year cycle. She also did a great job explaining Mexico and Mexican culture to my in-laws, who knew very little about the country.

We arrived at Chichen Itza a little after 10AM, and met with Don Guillermo, an official tour guide of Chichen Itza who spoke both English and French. We were really impressed with his language skills and deep knowledge of the site and Mayan history. My sister-in-law (an architect) even asked some tough questions about Mayan architecture and Don Guillermo answered her with ease.

After our tour of Chichen Itza, the next part of our trip was a swim at the Ik-Kil Cenote, and a buffet lunch afterwards. On our way back to the hotel, we had a brief stop at Valladolid to walk around the Zocalo and check out artisanal shops.

We really enjoyed our tour: it was extremely well-organized, well-timed, and opened our eyes to the splendors of the Yucatan. Most of all, thanks to Delphine for the great organization, and her phenomenal ability to guide our group in both French and English. As you can imagine, it made for a non-stop day of speaking for her, yet she was able to carry out the tour with extreme professionalism.

Visited August 2012
Adrian P, Propietario at Conciencia Tours & Travel, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your tailor made tour for your family. As local travel experts, we feel honored to show all the cultural wonders of the Yucatan Peninsula to world travellers as yourselves. On behalf of Delphine and Don Guillermo we would like to thank you for chossing Viajes Conciencia, with your help we can begin to co-create a "Consciuos Tourism" in the Mayan Riviera. Many blessings for you and your loved ones.