“The Real Deal!”

Ranked #73 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Morley, Michigan
“The Real Deal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I just wanted to start out this review by saying that these are cabanas, not fancy hotel rooms that are somehow magically inexpensive. I am not comparing My Tulum to chi-chi hotels I've stayed at, I'm comparing it to other basic cabanas I've stayed at.
That being said, My Tulum is a wonderful place. Somehow, as all of the eco-chic places fill up this stretch of beach, My Tulum is able to offer a piece of what I imagine Tulum used to be. If you are a traveler and you want a big, clean room at a place where you can meet lovely people and have a real experience of Tulum, you should stay at this place. Yeli is everything you could want in a host and it was a pleasure to stay at what is really her home. Seriously, friends and neighbors stop by and her sweet dogs hang out with you while you chill out in the shade with your feet in the sand. You can get a sense of the actual community of people living in Tulum and, to me, that is a beautiful thing. I live in San Francisco, so my metaphor might not make sense to everyone but My Tulum is like your neighborhood co-op market, while most of the hotels/resorts are more like Whole Foods. The neighborhood co-op may not be as fancy, but it's way better! I felt perfectly at ease at My Tulum.
Many thanks to My Tulum for the lovely stay, and also to the guy from Dive Tulum and Yeli for giving us great cenote recommendations in Coba.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Well after reading some of your reviews here for this place, and the cost was very reasonable,my son and I thought we would go back to Tulum, (remembering what it use to be), and were totally devastated!!!!
Not only was this place an awful mess, with broken roofs, paint worn off, no flushing bathrooms,(have to put used toilet paper next to toilet in a basket with NO LID) YUCK!, no water pressure for showers for 3 days(had to bathe in ocean), very, very, bad service, (don't expect to get a beer, water, a drink, and especially food, unless the help is around, and WANTS TO WAIT ON YOU,INSTEAD OF SUN-BATHING TOPLESS ,ON YOUR ONLY
CHAIR, ON THIS 30' BEACH WITH 1 UMBRELLA , AND NOT OTHER SHADE !!!
Yes, the owner did have a baby, but her husband could have stepped in to help with customers, but he seemed to hate it there, and the help Leah, from Argentina, seemed to be infuriated if you asked her for anything, but if she answered, most of her answers were " No we do not have, water, or drinks, or food"! Yet you could see all the bottles in the kitchen of liquor just sitting there. Then she would say " I don't know how to make one", for anything you asked for( Especially during the day).Food? or....." We have to go to the store",Good luck!!! You will have to eat out all the time! (We did manage to get 2 meals made that we paid for, that was very good, but anything else........No!!!!)
There are many places to walk to , to get food , but don't expect this to be a cheap trip!
My son and I spent over $1,000 in the 7 days there easily, just on food!
It is exactly like the " French Riviera", and everything there is catered to the " Rich and Famous!! Many , many , models, and rich people blowing money like water!!!
Dinner is about $50-300 per person, and breakfast about $30-50, lunch is about the same as breakfast. We would skip lunch to save money.
Everthing in this place,Cabanas My Tulum, is broken down, and the money we spent there, would have gotten us a 5* hotel in Riviera Maya area, with food,drinks, AND AIRFARE for 7nights!!!. So do not let this low cost sell you, as you will end up spending a lot of money just taking it easy even, on your wallet!!( oh..... no credit or debit cards exceptedANYWHERE, but..... Coqui Coqui, DOES!!!!!
The only thing that saved my " Birthday Trip", that my son paid for, was the FABULOUS PLACE NEXTDOOR, called " Coqui Coqui"!!
The place is a restaurant, shop, spa, and perfumery.
We spent every morning, and afternoon there eating their incredible fresh food!!
The price was not bad, and the waiters, Bruno, Emil,and Sergio, were the best I have
ever , ever had!!! They were always so polite,and always made sure you were taken care of.
They made our trip bearable, and relieved a lot of our discust for the place nextdoor where we had to go back to.
This would be a great place to stay, if you want to go to the " Rich and Famous Riviera
Maya Tulum". All of the " Boca de Pelia" is a strip along the waterfront, where hundreds of cramped places are stuck together making the chain down the beach.
We did meet some great friends there from Canada, Louis, and Monique, and John, and Sarah(Who we ended up doing everything with), and a few others. They all seemed to be very disgusted also in the false advertising that went along with this so called resort.
Please save your money, and get a great place especially if you have children, with a pool, and free food, and airfare, which is going to be a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER FOR YOU!!!
We know what we are talking about as Josh works for Wyndam World Wide Company, with over 500 condos, and resorts, and we live in a huge resort town in Coloradol
We also travel a lot, and have been to numerous places in Mexico over 14 times.
Usually every 6 months we travel somewhere.We camp alot in the summer also!!
I do have to say that " Marco's was the best worker there , who cleans the rooms.
He did a great job.
We did have some visitors too in our room (ich!), 2 huge cockroaches, some kind of spider, and numerous bugs that we felt droped from the thatched old roof, and MILLIONS OF MISQUITOS!!! Bring lots of spray for at night, and afternoon when the sun goes down.
Both of us had about 70 bites on us when we got back home , we counted them.
Try Mateos, for lobster (Langusto), and we loved " Pure Corrizon", and Retiro Maya, also for the lobster ( check your bill though). Banana Cafe, down the road for " Banana Daquiri". You have to take taxi's everywhere, but there cheap!!
We met another need person that was from Israel, Isrit, and she was a lot of fun!
Feel free to talk to us about anything before you decide to go down there.
We do not need much to make us happy,but........." We do expect to get what we paid for , as their advertisment stated"..!! ( I will try to get some pictures up and running that we took.)
I have no idea where these other people have traveled, or how they live, that could write about the good things here! I WOULD NOT SEND ME WORST ENEMY THERE......
well........maybe(haha)!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I just got back from spending 2 weeks at My Tulum. I cannot say enough good things about it, it's such a special place. The owners, Yeli and Dani, are sweet and gracious hosts, and the small staff here is so friendly. They all felt like friends from the moment I arrived.

The cabanas are simple, clean, and charming. Nothing too fancy.... If what you want is an affordable, comfortable place right near the beach, they are perfect. The restaurant is one of my favorite things about this place (it's really more of an outdoor common room with tables and hammocks), where everyone from the hotel hangs out, chats, compares notes about where to go and what to see. As a woman traveling alone, I loved that I could choose between the quiet solitude of my room, and the community feel of the restaurant.

I would happily stay here again the next time I'm in Tulum. There are plenty of great yoga studios within walking distance (Yoga Shala, Uno, Shambala), there are lots of great restaurants nearby, and the beach is just beautiful.

This place rules :)

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the restaurant can be a little noisy at night if people are still hanging out...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

My boyfriend and I just got back today from an amazing stays at My Tulum. The cabanas are clean, comfortable, spacious and fresh and literally only 20 steps away from the beautiful beach. However, as the other reviews state, the best part of My Tulum are the people who work there! From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were treated as old friends, Marcos and Yeli provided us with anything we needed, food, drinks.....EVERYTHING! We found that Tulum is quite expensive in comparison to Playa del Carmen but Yeli and Marcos gave us useful tips on where the best places to eat where, how to travel around tulum and where to go at night! Marcos even took us to a disco on the beach the first night we arrived.
If you are planning a stay in Tulum look no further than here, the cabanas are great value for money, a thirty minute cycle from the ruins and walking distance to alot of bars and restaurants. I have been travelling around Quintana Roo for a month and this was by far the highlight of my trip!
Thank you Yeli and Marcos...you guys are great!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Claire P
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

My family and me spent our last vacation in this wonderful place, it is a really getaway, my husband were looking for a place where we can be disconnected from everything and enjoy each other and our two kids, this was the perfect place to do it, it remind me when I was a little girl back in Venezuela, just enjoying what was around us... the service is excellent and Yely and Daniel are the best, they are very dedicated to this place, they know everything about the area and nearby places, it was pleasure for my and my family to stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ecuecha
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Great value, only 10 meters from the beach, adequate rooms. But, the best of My Tulum are the owners, Yeli and Dani. They were incredibly accommodating to our needs, great cooks, good conversation, and we loved their rescue pets.. one three legged dog, one pup hit by an auto and one beach bird that fell from the nest but imprinted on the place. Three of us stayed for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not the Ritz, but it was comfortable, clean, and convenient to the beach. Go Yeli and Dani!!!!

Room Tip: I believe the downstairs room was a bit cooler and fewer mosquitoes.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank chicaxploradora
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Me and my friend stayed in My Tulum twice. we went to Tulum and found that fantatstic place and returned there 2 weeks again, because we thought it's the right place to finish our holiday. Yeli and Dani are fantastic honest. the food was always great. the place is just quite and relaxing and Yeli and DAni became already friends after some days. this place is amazing. go and see yourself.

Karl and Didi