“No fuss, no frills, just good.”
Review of My Tulum Cabanas

My Tulum Cabanas
Ranked #79 of 121 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“No fuss, no frills, just good.”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I arrived and was greeted by the proprietor, Jelitza, and her friendly dogs. She showed me to my room: clean, basic, a thatched roof, a decent bed, a fan, mosquito netting a toilet that does not accept paper (this is true of almost everywhere) and a shower that never really got warm. I went into the kitchen and the chef handed me a beer from a cooler told me he would make me chicken and rice for dinner. In the little courtyard - just sand, hammocks, tables and chairs -- I sat down with a group of strangers, started chatting and began to feel the Caribbean work its magic.

This is all I wanted from a place. If you're comfortable with the "Lonely Planet" type of budget travel, where things are casual, some self-sufficiency is expected, and meeting people is part of the pleasure, then My Tulum is perfect. The staff was very helpful and will help you arrange trips, diving, bike rental, massages etc, but there's not a concierge there to handle things immediately. The beach, though not directly visible, is just a few steps down a path. The food was simple but tasty. If you want a view of the sea from your room, a plush bed, a hot shower, air conditioning, high security, an extensive menu, waiters, a concierge, and a sense of exclusivity, then you should stay somewhere else.

My Tulum about half way down Boca Paila (aka the beach road, aka the hotel zone) and a taxi is required to get into town (there's always one going by). Several good bars and restaurants are close and walkable, including Tita Tulum, Heartwood, Casa Jaguar, Ahau and Zebra,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This place is really cool! Great location just a few meters from the sea. Rooms are large and comfortable and cost few dollars way cheaper than the rest of the hotels in the area. Staff is very nice and helpful willing to offer you the best holiday experience. They use organic products and are very environment friendly. I highly recommend My Tulum!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Manu N
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights with a friend of mine. The hostess was extremely helpful and very pleasant to talk to. She helped us out tremendously with anything and everything that we needed. The location of the cabanas could not have been better! It was right on the beach and when I say right on the beach, I mean the sand from the beach came up to the doorstep of our room!

The room we got was extremely well done, authentic and rustic. It was on the foçirst floor and even had a hammock in it, between the beds.

I´d love to head back as soon as I can. Unless you`re one of those uptight people who needs a hairdryer etc in the room, this place is the best you can get for the price. Even if I had a ton of cash to splurge on a bigger or fancier hotel, I doubt any of them could provide as authentic and relaxing an experience. I hope to go back as soon as possible.

Thanks guys! :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty nice, just let them know if you need one or 2 beds.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed here for one night after driving from Belmopan to Tulum. The hotel is in an alley of hotels right on the beach. The hotel is in what I call 'in the cut' meaning its relatively far from downtown Tulum. It will take about 10-15 minutes by cab and car to get to from downtown. They are truly cabanas not facing the beach but you can walk right to the beach easily in less than a minute. The room is big. The room fit two full size beds on each side of the room. The lighting was not great but your on the beach who cares. The bathroom was very tiny. Only one person could really get into the bathroom unless your in the shower. The water in the shower was cold. The room was very warm and there is only a fan in the room no air conditioning. I was okay with it especially since i paid $33 for a night. If your looking for a budget hotel on the beach this is a good option.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Q S
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Me and my husband stayed in this cabanas for 6 night and I only wished I could stayed longer.
The place is run by a lovely couple, is right on the beach and I have no words to explain how beautiful is waking up in the morning open the room door, walking in the sand for a minute and be in a fabulous beach!!
I loved all my days in the My Tulum Cabanas the only little down side was the "smell of humidity" in the bedroom, but is something that you can easily forget after few minutes...
Please remember to follow the suggestions of the owners when they tells you to do not bring food in the rooms, they says so only to prevent visit from unwanted animals!

Room Tip: Room on the top are bigger and ventilated.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 6 nights with my husband and 10 year old son. The size of the Cabaña was really big, they are basic and had a few leaks, however the location nearly on the beach and Yelitza, the owners warmth makes the stay. Be warned though, in this part of Tulum (on the beach road) there aren't many eating options other than hotel restaurants which can be expensive for the budget traveller, and the trip into town by taxi is expensive. I would recommend this cabanas as a good budget option to be so close to the beach.

• Stayed August 2013
Dorchester, UK
Reviewed 20 August 2013

we probably meant to book some other cabanas in tulum... these were our most expensive nights in Mexico yet the most uncomfortable. the cabin itself was mouldy, smelt of damp and didn't seem to ventilate with all the windows open - the tiny fan without a front plate didn't do much to stir the moist air in such a large space. mosquito net didn't fit the bed, but was needed. 'beachfront' meant walking down a narrow alley between the hotels either side to a small area of beach with 5 dilapidated loungers. the whole beach hotel area is packed with expensive eco resorts with pricey menus and there's nowhere to even buy a bottle of water. if you want to eat somewhere with a normal price, and buy water and other necessities then you have to pay around 100 pesos for a taxi 7km into town. we had paid for three nights in advance so stuck it out, but spent as little time there as possible and hopefully won't get sick from the excessive damp! best avoided!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
EcocabanasMYTULUM, Propietario at My Tulum Cabanas, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW.

Sorry for all the inconvenience during your stay, we always recomended for our visitior, check the destiny, the restaurant, the price, and the facilicities, if you book direct with us Im sure we dont promise beach front, because we dont have cabanas beach front, but we are in the beach site, but we guaranty the best price ON THE BEACH, for fresh water in your shower, electricity on the day and on the night, internet free in recepcion, your own bathroom, and our love for help you if you want to know the best way to visit around Tulum, or if you need help for sometime else, our friendly actitud, and maybe you dont looking for that, Im so sorry for that if we make you feel mad. Thanks very much for your stay with us. Sorry again.