“relaxing place”

Ranked #89 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Toronto, Canada
“relaxing place”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Wow what a nice place to take it easy and just relax on the beach! The beach is pretty small but really nice! And the water is warm! There is also a spot on the beach that is clothing optional. There is no electricity there only candles :) It changes you from your every day life!

Vladimir at the lobby is a really nice guy! Thank you

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taylor11122

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Berlin, Deutschland
Reviewed 7 October 2013

i had great expectations about going there. i like the eco character but providing us with a place that is more or less a hostel for charging us luxury prices. no shelfs or anything to put your stuff on to...everything was on the floor. breakfast was served after 8 somewhen and there seemed to be no need to assist guests earlier. we had 4 tiny old candles to lighten up the whole place and i am glad i still could locate my contact lenses somehow. i am very unhappy cuz it is not fair to false advertise a place of a certain kind and expectations were not met.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GoodGirl0577

Travellers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2013

This was my first visit to Mexico and I'm glad I choose this hotel..the staff and the manager Roberts are very friendly and helpful and made me feel at home.
The beach is nice and service good and they provided me with any possible tips about tours etc I needed to make my stay great.
Definitely place to visit!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank VilliI
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I have been to Copal three times over the past few years, thoroughly enjoying each stay. But my last visit, in January 2013, was disappointing.

I had stayed at Copal and Zahra, which is just down the road and owned by the same parent company (EcoTulum), on each of three previous trips to Quintana Roo. My wife and I generally spend a night at Zahra on the way down to our main destination, Xcalak, which lies at the very southern end of the Yucatan, near the Belize border. We had always stayed at Copal on the return trip to Cancun, the site of our departure airport.

This year, upon driving to Zahra on our first night in Mexico, we were surprised to see that Copal apparently had been taken over by another resort property. We didn't think much about it until we returned a week later for our stay at Copal. Well, Copal is no more. It's now part of Azulik, which is fine, but I just wish someone at EcoTulum had told me before I booked the stay there. Copal was more accessible than Azulik, with better views of the sea and more amenities, including a very nice restaurant with Wifi capability, the Maya Spa, another breakfast and lunch restaurant with a bar overlooking the sea, and easy access to one of the best beaches in Tulum Playa Zone. Azulik didn't have any of that.

I'm not a traveler who expected the Ritz Carlton. Like I said, I had stayed there several nights in the past. I love the lack of electricity, the remote feel of staying in a cabana situated where the jungle meets the beach, all of that. It's just that I had grown comfortable with Copal, its layout, and the amenities that it did have, and I found none of that at Azulik.

I was also distressed to find that Zahra, another EcoTulum property just a couple hundred meters down the road, seemed to be in a state of disrepair when we stayed there earlier in our trip. The restaurant at Zahra, which I have enjoyed greatly on past trips (great fruta del mar pizza, by the way), wasn't even open when we stayed there this past January. I was able to get a cup of coffee on the morning we left for points south in QRoo, but the restaurant and bar never opened the previous night (a Friday night, no less).

It's doubtful I'll stay at Copal on my next trip to Tulum, because it isn't really Copal any longer; it's Azulik.

On a different note: The staff was friendly and our check-in was seamless, which hasn't always been the case with Tulum hotels. But if you're looking for the Copal experience that you've had in the past or that's advertised on EcoTulum's website, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: You definitely want to select a Sea View room (not Partial Sea View) because you'll get a much b...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trey_Reid
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have been to Cabanas Copal 3xs before for different reasons. I had amazing experiences each time I have come. I came down with my mom because I wanted to show her what a beautiful place Tulum was and how great Cabanas Copal was. When we were shown to our cabana I was so happy with the choice of the Sea View Cabana. The ocean was breathtaking and the breeze was refreshing. The cabana was clean and comfortable. We both had gotten a couple of spa treatments and the women who do these healing treatments are nothing less than amazing. They are beautiful healers and I felt perfect after each treatment and my mom could not stop raving about it. The people who worked there were happy and helpful. The whole place is surrounded by peace and tranquility. I understand what others have said about the changes and this is true. It is not the same as before in terms of the property has moved and changed. I just loved the fact that it FELT the same. The same peace and calmness I have grown to love there still exists. I don't know if that is true in the other places. Also we went to a beach that was on the right of the property and that beach is easily accessible by going down the Azulik path. The beach is practically private and very beautiful. I just hope that everyone can get the same experience out of Cabanas Copal as I did. I can't wait to go back with my husband on our second honeymoon :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tamara N
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed at Cabanas Copal for two nights and found the hotel very quiet. It is now essentially a part of Azulik and they share the same checkin desk. They Mayan Spa is on site as well but I did not have any services there.

Cabanas Copal was much larger in the past and now a large fence divides the property from other hotels. The cabanas are ok, clean but there are more updated cabanas at properties such as Papaya Playa. They serve a light breakfast and coffee but this is a true minimalist experience. I was able to see the ocean from my room but you are on a cliffside. You have a semi-private, clothing optional beach but it is shared with another hotel. There is also a fence on this beach and people camp here regularly. The cabanas are very close together and you hear just about everything around you. All this doesn't take away from the property but with no restaurant on the property, you'll end up spending time at other hotels.

The staff is very nice and gracious. You might look at a few other options in this price bracket before booking anything but a few nights.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MegaJustice
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This place is terrible and not worth a peso... it is in the middle of the jungle and unless you pay 300 USD a night you will not see the ocean at all. It is possible to reach the beach via a stairway, however the beach is so rocky that you will neither be able to swim nor to escape the mosquitos who eat you alive. The room was a run-down hut which was (unlike some other of the more expensive huts) full of holes so we shared our "bedroom" with many insects, which you however cannot even see when it gets dark, as there is no electricity... This is not what we expected for a price of 90 USD per night...We booked and payed for three nights but checked out after the first day as there are lots of way better options close by...

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple