“Unique tranquil place”

Ranked #89 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unique tranquil place”
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Many reviews below which helped me chose this place. I also reserved 1-day in advance and got 60% off a Gardenview King for a total of $38. But you risk the place being fully booked which it usually is and I could only get 1 night. Bummer.

Good:
1. Mattress was hard but surprisingly very comfortable (most mexican hotels/resorts have really hard beds -- it's just a mexican thing and americans are just not used to it).
2. Good pillows, clean sheets and not one hole in my mosquito net.
3. No electricity takes some getting used to. I was solo but think it would be very romantic if I was with someone. I brought a flashlight and was happy I did so. Bring extra batteries. I saw a lady with a light strapped onto her head for reading at night on the beach. Great idea.
4. Friendly people come here. Travelers, not tourists.
5. Beach and bar staff amazing. I thought food and drinks were good and reasonably priced. Happy Hour from 2-3pm for 2x1 and beach staff (Pedro) comes out right at 2pm and starts taking orders.
6. Nice beach.

Bad:
1. Not too many loungers on the beach, mostly chairs. Had to keep your eyes open and when one became available everyone was running for it.

Was very happy with my stay. Especially for $38/day. I don't really think I would have been as happy paying $95/day. I am now in Playa and it is busy and overrun. Most tourists here are European. Tulum is less stress and more relaxing. Enjoy!

• Liked — Beach and Simplicity
  • Disliked — No electricity
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank cherylcressman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Best place and Tulum is still not crowded. Clean rooms, friendly staff, but eat somewhere else, the restaurant is no good, service is way slow. Eat breakfast at the Cabana just next door, superb service and food much better (and a little cheaper I think). Have dinner at the restaurant about 1 km to the left when you walk out of the reception area (after the piece of road with open beach).

• Liked — Location, quietness
  • Disliked — Food
1 Thank IB7
HollyWorton, owner at Cabanas Copal, responded to this review, 22 February 2009
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at Copal!

We’re sorry to hear that your experience in the Copal restaurant did not meet your expectations. Thanks so much for your comments, I will take them up with our general manager so we can work to improve service.
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My girlfriend and I had a Great time on our 3 night stay. Reserved our Sea View Quad on line with their last minute special. $130 a night on sale for $53. Reservations and check in went smooth. This is my second stay in 4 months. We got just what I expected, a small rustic hut with a view of the ocean. 2 beds with hard mattress's, 2 wooden chairs, table, 4 candles. The bath room was attached with a toilet shower, sink and table. We got 2 towels, a large bottle of drinking water with glasses. I'm trying to paint a picture of very basic lodging.
The floors are cement and cleaned every day. You will track sand back into your room every time you walk in. The roof is thatched, not perfectly water proof. The windows are plastic and or screens. We had one very windy day and the employees stapled plastic over most of our screens to help cut down on the wind blowing through our hut. It worked very well. You will have very little privacy as the huts are very close together and walking paths come in front of or beside the huts. We closed our curtains only once in 3 days, the view was great. In the morning we would open our door wide, lay in bed and watch the sun rise at our feet. Priceless!
If your still reading this then YES you should stay here.
The service was very good, The food was very good, The beach was very nice.
Cabanas Copal is NOT for Tourists!....go back to Cancun.
It's perfect for Travelers who understand they are in Mexico, in a cabana, in the jungle, on a sandy beach, with out electricity, with no night life but the hermit crabs and the stars, The sound of the surf never stops.
We are in our mid 40's travel with backpacks, walked the 3 miles from the bus station in downtown Tulum. We had the time of our life's,
Please read ALL the information Cabanas Copal lists on their web site. They do not hide anything.
Safe and Happy travels to you and your friends.

4 Thank scott1147
guapachica
Reviewed 28 January 2009

we came several times to cabanas Copal in order to spend a relaxed hollidays .I mean , beach , nature but the most important thing was allways the Spa. Last trip we found no one of the good therapist work at the Spa. No Daniel , no Chandree,
no Santiago . I hear that they use to work in a very bud conditions.So , I recomend to all people who is a good massage lover or love therapie s , to ask where we can slend a good massage or healling time as we use to do years ago.
I m very disappionted about ecotulum resorts in general.

• Liked — the see , the nature
  • Disliked — The managers look and act more like a mexican rooster trainers than a real managers
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sashabliss-teama
HollyWorton, owner at Cabanas Copal, responded to this review, 22 February 2009
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience at Copal and Maya Spa.

I am so sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Daniel is still working with us on a regular basis, but if you visited in November, there’s a chance he was on vacation for the low season. Chandree worked with us for three years at Maya Spa, and left last year to start her own center. Santiago was with us for a short time a couple of years back.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you had any other unpleasant experiences at EcoTulum. You mention that you were disappointed in general. We strive to constantly improve both facilities and service, and welcome your additional comments.

Thanks again!!
Sunny Tucson
Reviewed 17 January 2009

If you are looking for a resort with a pool, huge rooms with air-conditioning and sandpaper-rough blankets, lame music, crowded beaches, and sea-doos, stay in Cancun or Cozumel! lf you are looking to stay in a quiet thatch hut, light provided by the moon and candles, delicious breakfasts and dinners in a romantic restaurant, and perhaps a few visits by spiders, geckos, and hermit crabs, then this a perfect place.

My wife and I stayed a week at Cabanas Copal for our honeymoon and were in tears when we left. It is a beautiful place right near the warm, turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea. While a little nervous about booking based on pictures and some reviews, we knew we arrived in paradise the moment we checked in. The reviews are true, the place is not for everyone. The rooms are often stuffy and clothes might not dry for your entire stay. There are bugs and animals roaming, and the bathrooms are small. But this is all clearly stated in the reviews, on their website, and in the pictures. Don't just book because of the price, and then complain that a beg crept up on you at 2 in the morning, it's too dark (there are no lights!), or the room was smaller than you thought (it's a thatch hut), or because it was too humid (it has NO A/C and is next to the sea).

In saying that, we stayed in the Seaview King and had a pleasant breeze most nights, but on the calm nights were rather sweaty. The view is priceless though, especially when you can fall asleep to the sound of the waves and watch the sunrise over the sea from bed. We ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant several mornings and nights, and highly recommend it. We also at lunch at the bar on the beach, and enjoyed staring at the sea while sipping a cerveca or two.

Cabanas Copal is a short walk from other small, cute shops, restaurants, and beaches, and is just a short drive from the Tulum Ruins (arrange a cab from at reception).

We found the entire resort to be a very relaxing, adventurous, and intimate place, with helpful and pleasant staff, and romantic, cozy huts to spend our nights in.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank marcaribe13
copenhagen
Reviewed 17 January 2009

My girlfriend and me stayed for 5 nights and really enjoyed the place. Beautiful beach and and nice staff.

We stayed in the beachfront huts and really enjoyed the breeze from the sea. The huts in 2 row would properly be very hot to stay in.

One problem with our stay was that there was bedbugs in the bed so we really had problems sleeping the last couple of nights. I have to say that we didn't hear that anyone else had this problem.

If you like basic accommodation in a romantic setting this is for you.

Copal writes on there website that the reef is just 300 meters of the beach which it right but the reef is NOT coral but "only limestone"

1 Thank tabascoman
HollyWorton, owner at Cabanas Copal, responded to this review, 1 March 2009
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Copal!

There are many types of biting insects in Tulum, like mosquitos, horseflies, and no-see-ums, but I have never heard of bedbugs in Tulum. I spoke with our manager regarding this, and he remembered the incident, and told me that when the cabana was checked, they could find no sign of bedbugs.

I would love to get this issue resolved...did you actually see insects in the bed?

Thanks so much!!

Travellers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Rochester, NY
Reviewed 17 January 2009

A friend and I just returned from a four day getaway at Copal. I had watched this resort since it's inception, and always liked the idea of an 'eco resort'. We were not disappointed, even though we managed to stay during the four days in January which were mostly overcast. The water was warm, the service was wonderful and the entire experience a relaxing retreat from the usual resort vacation where one feels compelled to appear casually elegant.

This is definitely not a resort for people who need high end pampering, TV and telephone, or want to show off their resort wear. While there are other guests and nearby cabanas, privacy and solitude are preciously respected. "Clothing optional" is understated and subtle, yet entirely okay. If you are into that, good for you! If not, maybe skinny dipping at night holds some appeal.

Cabanas are clean, well equipped, but basic. The water, described as 'brackish' in other reviews, is really fine for bathing; we were provided with soap that works with the water there and leaves you feel clean. And it was plenty warm; no complaints there, unless maybe you want 25 minute showers.

Candles at night would have been romantic - if I were traveling with a romantic friend. For an extra $45 I ordered flowers and wine on arrival (her birthday), and it was a really nice treat.

We rented a car in Cancun, and were able to travel to Tulum (10 minutes away) for a little shopping, but there is a small 'shopping district' withing walking distance, and several alternate restaurants - although the Copal restaraunt was quite a scrumptious treat. We purchased 'eco credits' $200 for $250 in credits, which paid for all of our meals for 3 days, and we dined well. Lobster, fresh fish, traditional mexican fare....yum! The service was excellent; bring some smaller bills because you'll want to tip....from Christian who carried our bags to our Cabana, to Jorge and Juan who served us, to the gal who kept our coffee cups filled - but you can pay the tips with eco-credits if you want, which we did for most meals.

Our cabana was cleaned each day, with cute little towel sculptures on our beds. Requests were honored within a reasonable time, and always with a smile.

You'll love this place.