“Exactly what I was hoping for...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amansala Eco Chic Resort
Ranked #51 of 114 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This review is from a stressed out career woman, and soon to be, mother of the bride, who needed a safe, fun, simple, planned, warm, seaside vacation with options for meeting people or just being alone, unplugged, with a room with a view, please, if possible. Add to that plenty of activities, healthy food and, oh yes, a great massage and facial (Michael and Laura, respectively). All I could say was "wow" when I was shown my third floor beach front room in Chica. It ranks as one of my top 5 best room views, not only from your private balcony, but also from the comfort of your romantic king-sized mosquito netted bed at that, and this is saying a lot as I have traveled the world and always request "the view". Right, there is no ac, no fan (but what a breeze at night from the ocean) some dog barking ( for those of you who like dogs and like to know they are watching out for you at night, you'll love these golden labs, these dogs are family pets and a hoot), no electricity at late night ( better to see the stars) and well, things just run on a much slower pace and if you can't leave that sense of entitlement at home and just go with the Tulum flow, you'll hate it. I signed up for bikini bootcamp, had some smashing classes, exercised my butt off, met great people from all over the world, took the side trips to Tulum and the cenotes, visited the charming town and did a little shopping, and absolutely loved the way healthy food. Melissa is a very nice person, and has a lot going on, probably could use some help with that. She was spot on when I had a complaint regarding transport and credited my bill right away. There are a lot of young people working there, but I liked them, too, and most were helpful. I would definitely go back, bring a flashlight and batteries for walking at night, bugspray, forget warm clothing, you don't need it there now even at night. What I would suggest to Melissa for improvement--fans in the room, no wifi charge ,but, if there is any we weren't charged, better transport arrangements, better bar, you can get wine and some mixed drinks, but very limited selection, if you are not a BBCamper this might matter more. But hey, overall, by day 2, I was in a Tulum state of mind, this area is very bohemian and diverse, but all the people are friendly. If you aren't ready to simplify your life, don't go, you'll hate it. But for me, this was just what i was hoping for...

Room Tip: Top floor of Chica facing the ocean or beachside huts in older portion
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 February 2013

This Eco-Chic Hotel is way over priced and over rated. The rooms were attractive and very rustic looking which provided a great ambiance and a romantic feel but I will stop there. If you are there for the bikini boot camp then maybe it’s ok. I was there for a little weekend get-away ( I live in Cozumel) and I was left feeling disappointed and ripped off. Our reservations included free Wi-Fi and Continental breakfast. They wanted to charge us $25.00 for the Wi-Fi when we asked for the network key but they relented and said well we will give it to you now but normally we charge $25.00. At checkout they charged us $9.00 (usd) for the continental breakfast which was Pineapple, Papaya, Cantaloupe, plain yogurt and some kind of granola. We showed them their website which clearly says continental breakfast is included and they gladly refunded that portion but said, “Oh I thought you just came in off the street, meaning, we didn’t check their website.

Now about the Eco-Chic hotel room. I have to admit I’ve never stayed at a “Eco” friendly hotel and will never again for that amount of money. Our room was not on the beach. However, the day we were there was a wonderful norte wind blowing yet none of that wind entered the room. Our room was HOT HOT HOT no breeze what so ever and we had every window opened as well as slept with the door open. We obtained a fan from our neighbor which allowed some relief BEFORE the power was turned off. (No power between 12:00 – 5:00 am) and I guess that would have been ok if we hadn’t needed the fan. The water was yellow so I didn’t feel good about using the water for even brushing my teeth. The pillows were horrible and scarce. I asked for another pillow from the staff and basically was blown off, no pillow was ever received nor a follow-up saying sorry we don’t have any more. They have dogs that bark off and on during the night. When I am at home, I expect that dogs bark but in a hotel environment when I am paying high $$ for a hotel room, I don’t expect to get woke up during the night by their dogs. I was awakened by their staff at 5:00 am in the morning by their kitchen staff talking and chopping something??? Then at I believe 6:00 am the entire place is awakened by a “Gong” to let all their bikini customers know it’s time to rise (I was not a bikini bootcamp guest).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Joey S
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This Eco resort was the perfect place for a yoga retreat. I shared a room with two queen beds with my friend and we found it clean and comfortable. We could see the ocean from our ground level front porch, and were able to sleep with windows and doors open at night. In fact we never even locked our room when we were away from it. The room safe was sufficient to protect our valuables. It took some getting used to not putting TP in the toilet, but the plastic lined basket provided for that purpose was emptied daily when our room was swept clean of sand and the beds made. The only thing I didn't care for was that there were no path ways over the sand. Once we realized we could walk everywhere barefoot, this was not a problem, but the sand was everywhere - dining room, yoga rooms, bedrooms etc. The eco design and Mayan influence was beautiful and the lack of TV, radio, newspapers etc. was delightful. We opted out of the $25 per week wi-fi fee, and didn't miss not being connected one iota. The staff were efficient and friendly and the food fresh and healthy. I did however tire of the Mexican food after four days, and it didn't help that the change in diet and bacteria caused some traveller's diarrhea during our last couple of days there. Nothing a couple of Immodium didn't fix. All in all I loved Amansala - the beach was beautiful and it was so relaxing to camp out on the covered beach beds of which there were quite a few. We enjoyed morning swims after breakfast and a walk and before our morning yoga session. I would go back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2013

rooms were clean and with cool interieur. the hotel is professionally run, a lot of stuff everywhere, but it's definitly no resort, so over all over-priced. wifi (which was usually included during our trip through yucatan) was charged with incredible 25US$ for the stay. breakfast is expensive and compared to others not worth the price. extra charge for bikes.
it was not the promised feeling of being home or a warm welcomed guest.

the location on the beach is ok and looks great in pictures, but there are some rocks on the way into the water, which have been tricky.
we have been there in january and the waves have been pretty high at that time.
the beach a little more down south (towards sian ka'an) seemed nicer, as well as the public beach north close to the ruins.

big plus was that quite a lot of restaurants were close.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ina9181
Reviewed 13 January 2013

the overall rating only is related to the amazing, paradise like beach (see photos). We spent the whole day on the beach and it really was amazing. we also checked out the beaches of neighboring ressorts / hotels and definitely amansala was by far the best.

food was good but not mexican at all (after 14 days road trip we were very happy about that), mexican staff were very friendly and took care, if anything was needed (except the towell and sheets thing). American staff (owner and some girls at the reception) somehow were not very friendly and didn't exactly make us feel super-welcome. but basically we did not have very much to do with them.

rooms are nice (we had room number 2 in the main house), no air condition but fan, mosquito net, cannot lock rooms (do not know what that is for) but there's a large safe.

what we did not like:
did not even get towels the first day (because they were out of towels) - taking the price they charge into account, that was really disappointing.

even worse was the fact, that we got sheets with stains all over it (see photos) - when asking for clean ones we were told, that there are no clean ones this day, they'll arrive next day and they'll change them - and they did, but the new one had just as many stains all over it as the old one.
If Melissa is reading this: you really should think about getting new sheets.

they have a menu, but actually half the dishes or drinks on it are not available - we had that all the time, no matter if there was no more dos-equis-beer, no bananas for banana pan cakes or no desert. that is kind of mexican, but if charging us-prices there should be us-service.

generally the place is overpriced, food is expensive and you do not get receipts so you cannot follow their charges. the worst and most confusing: the menus show mexican pesos prices, on your bills (that you have to sign, but never get) they charge in usd and when I paid in mexican pesos they converted it back with an exchange rate of 12.5.... actually I did not understand the calculation, nor was I shown it, so I'm pretty sure, that was a rip off. And when I asked for a receipt the owner explained that there's none...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mi B
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Tulum during New Years so it was basically the high high season. Most places were fully booked so we were lucky to find a room by the sea at Amansala after deserting our substandard room at Zahra. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom area was more than adequate. The beach area has plenty of lounge chairs and shade so spending days on the beach reading was not a problem :) The daily breakfast of fruit and yogurt was perfect and the massages were outstanding (firm enough but not painful). We also joined Kiya's bikini boot camp class and it was outstanding. Sarah at reception was also great. There are a few really good restaurants across the road and down the beach but I would also recommend heading in to town to get a more local experience. And go to Coba to climb above the trees!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My friends and I planned a trip for my birthday, We wanted to stay at Amansala but were told they only had a room the new place. Little did I know this was the best thing that could have happend. The main Amansala was pumping with a yoga group and we were at first disappointed to be put in the new place but once we arrived we were thrilled. It was beautiful. All white washed cement with really nice rooms. We took two rooms with two bed that were not right in front of the sea but were really bright and airy and nice. There is a stunning yoga room there and my friend who is a yoga teacher taught us classes each morning with a view of the jungle to one side and the sea to the other. It was magical.
there is a really cozy lobby to the place that is the central hang out for all the guests. Tea and coffee were there most of the day and everyone who was staying at the place got to know each other so by day three it felt really homey.
All of us got massages at the other Amansala and we each thought ours was the best. really..it was the best massage of my life by a woman named Laura.
We also ate great salads...hard to find in Tulum but they do them really nice here.

I would definitely go back and actually am going back in April and am counting down the days.

Room Tip: Ask the two guys who work there about the cenote hike in the jungle...it was unbelievable.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends