“Peace and Tranquility Abound”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amansala Eco Chic Resort
Ranked #44 of 81 Tulum B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Peace and Tranquility Abound”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I read some of the negative reviews of Amansala before I embarked on my vacation and they only convinced me that I'd love it. I was right. If you are looking for an American experience in Mexico, this is not the place for you. By that, I mean baked Alaska for dessert, meat locker-level air conditioning, Vegas-style shows, flat screen TVs, loud music, and lots of lines.

I have a busy, high-pressure job. I'm "on" 24/7, catering to demanding clients, waiting in line, and bombarded with media. I wanted to relax and recharge. Amansala was PERFECT. There is almost no noise. Just the sound of wind chimes and the ocean. There is no "anticipatory service" to drive you nuts. If you want something, you need only ask. But you won't be badgered with requests. If you want to take a yoga class, one is available. If you want a margarita, say the word. If you are in the mood to take a walk, the beach is nearly deserted, the water is crystal blue and the water is warm. Go for it. Eat when you want. Take a nap. Have a cocktail. Exercise. Whatever. On your terms.

The rooms are rustic, but fantastic. If you want the sheets changed every day, put them on the floor and it will happen. Otherwise, it will get done every few days (which is what I do at home, so that was fine with me). There is no AC but I think you'd need to be an Eskimo to care. It's really windy in Tulum. Open the big screen and fall asleep to the ocean breeze. I was never hot. It's wonderfully relaxing for the body and spirit.

The food is marvelous. Fresh, wholesome, local and delicious. There are plenty of wonderful places to have dinner. This place reminds me of a tropical version of Fire Island or the Key West of 25 years ago. Rent a bike and check out the ceynotes, the Mayans ruins, or the nature preserve. Yes, there are three yellow labs running around. They are friendly and fun. They don't pester you at all. I like dogs. I think it's great that a resort can be laid back enough to have a couple of dogs. Staff is incredible. Darlene, Kelly and Marco were friendly, accomodating and efficient.

If you are looking for high polish, don't come here. Please. Frankly, I'd like to keep the resort limited to people with a different sensibility. It's boho. It's charming. It's natural. And it's upscale in the way a vintage Mercedes is as compared to, say, a Cadillac Escalade. It's for a certain type of person. In my view, it was an incredibly romantic, relaxing vacation that brought me from frazzled to tranquil in record time.

Here are some serious tips you'll need to enjoy it:

Bring plenty of cash. Most of the little restaurants don't take cards. And you'll have to cab it to the Supermarket to use an ATM. Out of the way places are like this. $500 should be more than enough for a week.

Buy sunblock at the airport or, better still, use some that the resort has in its basket of free stuff. The guy who runs the little shack across the dirt road will charge you a fortune and the resort has plenty of leftover for your use. I found Chanel in the basket. This place is not low end. Like I said, it just caters to a different crowd.

Pack light. You'll need maybe one pair of shoes. This ain't Vegas. Think the Hamptons circa 1975. You won't need much. It has wind power so I think they enourage you to leave your blowdrier at home. Everyone looks natural and lovely. It's not an overly styled sort of vibe.

Long story short, If you're like me, you'll love it. A lot. I plan to make this vacation a yearly occasion. If you want something more stylized, head back to Cancun and try a major resort with karaoke, swim-up bars, and jet skis for rent. Those places have their charms. But it's a very different energy. Amansala is heaven. My only hope is that it stays as non-commercialized and beautiful as it was when I was there last week.

Room Tip: We stayed in Chica #5, Ocean view. Balcony with a bed and a hammock. Wonderful bathrooms. Comfortabl...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Robin I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
Reviewed 12 May 2013

In my second time at Amansala for my Yoga Retreat with two amaising yoga teachers, i found again familiar faces and a warm hospitality. It is always nice to be remembered and called by your first name, location, food and personal attention from the owner and personnel are among the highlights to be mentioned when choosing a place to stay in this magical place Tulum.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I just returned from my 3rd Yoga retreat at Amansala resort and every time I go back it is even better than I remembered it. Tulum is a magical place and I can't think of a better way to experience it than at Amansala. As some of the other reviews have stated you need to align your expectations before you get there. You will be outside all of the time. It is a wonderful way to get in touch with nature. The accommodations are very nice, clean and modern, but also very rustic...in the best way possible. You will sleep under a mosquito net and there will not be air conditioning but really air conditioning is not needed...there is a constant breeze coming in from the ocean that keeps you comfortable. I think of it as Gilligan's Island, a place I always wanted to live as a kid. Shoes are optional and actually more of a hassle than anything and attire is casual....and by casual, I mean a swimsuit.

I also need to mention the staff and the food. The staff is VERY friendly and accommodating and has remembered me every time that I've returned. They will talk with you and spend time with you and even try to teach you some Spanish or Mayan language. The food is incredible! All of the food is prepared fresh every day and is very healthy. My recommondation would be the guacamole! You can't beat it!

I hope that this review helps you and the you are able to enjoy this beautiful hidden gem as much as I have.

~Namaste

Room Tip: You will stay in a "hut" like structure and my suggestion would be to stay as close to the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rebecca S
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I had to put some serious thought into this one before writing... I have mixed feelings about Amansala although I had a wonderful time. Amansala is a charming, beach retreat but you have to have your expectations in order if you are going to enjoy your time here.

First, do not expect luxury accommodations. The location is beautiful and beaches are to die for. Each bungalow is right on the beach so you can literally kick off your shoes for your entire stay and each is slightly different. The bungalows are airy but keep in mind that this is an eco-resort and Tulum doesn't have the infrastructure of Cancun. For starters, there is no A/C. I stayed in April and my room happened to not have a good ocean breeze. I had a fan blowing straight on my face, through a mosquito net for the entire duration of the night and was still sweltering hot. I never really got a good night sleep here because of the heat. The bedding was ok. I can't imagine staying any later in the year then I did...maybe January, February or March are cooler. Other little things about infrastructure, you won't be drinking the water, putting toilet paper in the toilet, and the power can be spotty. It went out one evening and I was glad that our retreat organizer recommended bringing a flashlight. These are all things that really aren't a big deal if your expectations are in line.

Second, I think this is a fabulous place for retreats and bootcamps but after staying for 5 days on a yoga retreat, I would most likely not come back with my husband or if not with a set group or fitness retreat. The restaurant has set meal times for retreats because they are huge groups that need to eat and get on with other activities. Meals were really organized for our group but these bootcamps and retreats literally took over the entire place.

Other things to note:

The Positives-
1- The vibe here is great...it's beachy, relaxing and there is just a calming feeling to the place. You really feel separated (in a good way) when you arrive because well, I guess you are (No TVs, No phones in room, and barely internet).
2- Beaches are gorgeous...There was plenty of beach chairs and beds.
3- The food was great! Literally everything I ate at every meal was delicious. (All of my meals were included in my yoga retreat)
4-Amansala is in a great location. You can rent bikes and ride to the ruins and into the town. And close to cenotes. Really fun!
5- The shuttle service from Cancun airport was organized and timely.
6- The view from the yoga room is fantastic.

The Negatives-
1- They charge for Wifi - I recall it was $25 dollars for the week and it was spotty at best.
2- This is a big one...BRING CASH!!!! At checkout, they informed our group that there is a 12% CHARGE on your total bill for using a credit card....??!!!! Not kidding.
3- Tulum is a popular place for weddings and the resorts on the beach have them almost every weekend... which means you are going to have music bumping until the wee hours of the morning if you stay on a Saturday night. So in addition to the heat, almost everyone on our retreat was kept up by a hideous DJ on the beach at the hotel next door until after 3 am. Not Amansala's fault...
4- The eco-thing is cool but I still like clean, dry towels, a well lit room, and a fan that works if there's no A/C.

Overall, I had a really awesome time at Amansala because of the the yoga retreat I was on. But my stay there was definitely not without challenges! It's better than an upscale camp but definitely not a luxury resort in my opinion. If your expectations are set somewhere in the middle, you will enjoy this place.

I think with a few minor tweaks this place could be SO much better and guests will feel better about the money they are spending here. Here are some suggestions-

1- New, updated towels and refresh them.
2- Update the fans. Mine had one speed and was broken and wouldn't rotate, which meant it was blowing straight on me the whole night. Other guests in my group had similar issues.
3- Provide fresh water buckets at each bungalow so you don't trek the entire beach into your room everyday.
4- Sweep the sand out of the yoga room each night. (A minor thing...why wouldn't maintenance / housekeeping think to do this?)
5- If you're going to charge for WiFi, it should work properly.
6- Be upfront about the credit card surcharge.***
7- The general feel of the front desk staff is like they are a bunch of young backpackers that decided to park in Tulum. On two occasions we asked about excursions or things to do in town and they recommended their personal friends to take us around (for a charge). Maybe a little more professionalism in the way things are run..

All this being said, there is something special about this place and for the right yoga retreat during the right time of year, I'd probably go back.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 11 - It is a triple and unless you are in the front bedroom, you don't ge...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank AP_Phoenix
manzanillo colima
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a yoga retreat at this hotel. The yoga retreat was AMAZING because of the instructor, Vinnie Mario who is in my opinion one of the best yoga instructors around. But, the hotel has no A/C, you need to beg for towels & fans, no room service and bugs come out at dusk!
Although, best Guacamole I ever had was here!!!
The staff is wonderful, but for the price of my stay, I would never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank puffpromotions
Notting Hill, London, UK
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We were staying in the main house room M3 for 5 nights over Easter and absolutely loved it. We were not part of the bikini bootcamp but ended up joining the nightly yoga class, which was good.

Yes - it isn't a luxury hotel, but that's not what we were there for. The room was simple and clean with freshwater, a lock and even a hotel safe, a large bed and good mosquito netting. It is simple but you won't be spending much time in the room. It hasn't got aircon, but a fan and this was sufficient for us as it wasn't too hot when we were there.

The beach is fabulous and the best feature of the hotel! Comfy beach chairs (probably one of the best we ever had and we travel a lot), a beautiful beach, great restaurants nearby and the potential to spot a few celebrities who might also be staying at the hotel.

Because of he bikini bootcamp most of the other guests were females in their 30s and 40s, so if you are travelling as a male alone you might be the center of attention and feel a bit lost.

Amansala is located close to good retaurants such as Posada Margerita and El Tabano, and others such as Casa Banana, Hartwood and Casa Jaguar are only a short drive away. We had a hire car to get around, but taxis seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap.

We ate out each night, so cannot comment on the quality of the food at Amansala.

In would definitely stay here again and probably request the same room, which at £80 was good value. Don't come expecting five star luxury and you won't be disappointed! The beach and the evening yoga classes are worth every penny!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I just got back from my 4th trip to Tulum and my 3rd experience staying at Amansala on a yoga retreat organized through YogaWorks in Santa Monica. I am consistently impressed with the staff with some staff standouts such as Marcos, Alex and Darlene. I booked my massages with Amy and Michael, and recommend both, with a special holla to Michael and his healing hands.
I will continue to make my yearly pilgrimage to Amansala for sun, yoga, incredible people and outstanding location.
What you won't need there: Shoes. They are rarely worn!
What you may need: Bug spray - if a storm stops through briefly the mosquitoes get very hungry. Where you should definitely eat while in Tulum: Posada Margherita
Definitely bring: Friends - but if traveling solo you will have no problems meeting great people.
Thanks to Amansala once again for recharging my body and mind!
xoxo to Marcos!