“Viva Las Palmas Maya!”

GreenLeadersGold level
AUSTIN TX
“Viva Las Palmas Maya!”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I've been remiss in writing this review, but it should in no way reflect on LPM....

My 7 year old daughter and I traved the Yucatan together in early June. Our 3/4 night stay in Tulum/LPM/Coba/Punta Laguna was the middle segment of our travels and proved to be the highlight of our trip.

Aside from large resort and beach front rentals around Playa, my child hadn't really seen experienced MX, so I planned a budget minded adventure and activities in the Yucatan and Tulum was a must visit on the list.

We initially identified LPM for the following reasons:
Price, dogs on the premises (surrogate dogs for my daughter), outdoor kitchen and TA reviews.
The two factors we BOOKED our stay:
Dogs on premises and Cheryl's prompt response to any/all questions I had regarding LPM and Tulum. I hadn't visited Tulum is 8/9 years and Cheryl was most helpful with our preparations.

LPM was between groups during the time of our stay, so we had the compound to ourselves.The Owners were back in the states visiting, so we didn't have the pleasure of meeting them but we hope to remedy this in the near future.

In my opinion, all the reviews, pros and few cons are accurate and thanks to TA reviews, I felt very comfortable in knowing what to expect, so here are a few of our tips/observations/experiences:

-We made reservations for a CHEAP, basic, manual rental car in Cancun after our stay in Isla Mujeres--base price 7 day rental was only $60US/$145 w tax/insurance (off season pricing) from Best Day car rental-they didn't push additional insurance, were accommodating and met us at the ferry in Cancun. The car was equipped w/AC, but no ph charger or radio, however served our purpose just fine. I think it was a Nissan--same car used by many cabs in the area.

-I had emailed Cheryl with concerns of tourist/travels being targeted by local police for speeding (read on a TA forum) however, I witnessed/experienced none--maybe because of the modest car (ha,ha)-- but I did mind my speed on the road from the main hwy/Tulum ruins to Tulum beach road. If one chooses to speed on the beach road, they deserve a ticket--there are so many speed bumps and lots of foot and bike traffic.

-Mr. Tom (as my daughter calls him) is fabulous.
I had had very few English conversations with adults in the 4 days prior so was eager for adult communication. I talked his ear off the first day we arrived but he didn't flinch: he was very helpful, gracious and kind. Knowing my B loves dogs Mr. Tom scheduled frisbee time on the beach the following day with the handsome Hondo dog. I can't tell you how much fun she had, and how much her mother appreciated this. :-)

-Although I've made note of the dogs, they are in no way intrusive. Tom was always mindful of asking if we welcomed the dogs about. So please don't allow all my dog references deter you if you aren't a dog person.

-The four cabana rooms are named--we had the upstairs Gecko room. There are corresponding containers in the fridge and pantry area to store your goods.
BTW, there's no reason to stop for provisions before you arrive in Tulum--the Chedraui is fully equipped with staples, prepared food, baked goods, international foods, cerveza, liquor and some clothing--Think a hybrid HEB if you're from TX or a small Super Target (with much better produce) or Whole Foods minus the organics. They also carry my fat free french vanilla coffee creamer which I was THRILLED to see.

-The pics don't do the property justice. Although budget accommodations, the furnishings were solid and setting far exceeded my expectations. The beds/bedding/pillows are pretty comfy.

-LPM provides a printed list of info, placed in the rooms--including restaurants picks--its a good 1st night, 5 min read.

-In early June, the evening temps didn't cool down below 85 by the time my little one went to bed and sadly, there was little to no breeze in the room so Mr. Tom provided two fans to accommodate. By the time I retired nightly--about 11/12ish, the temp was comfortable enough.

-Mosquitoes: Yep...got 'em, they are unfortunate companions but manageable.

-LPM provides bar and had soap but not shampoo.

-The kitchen was well equipped w/ cookware, utensils, plates, plastic containers and some spices/seasonings for your use during the stay.

-Drinking water jug sits on the kitchen counter and ice in the cooler was always available to fill water bottles.

-The beach road is narrow (10 adult steps IF that). Also, little traffic at this end of the beach, so I had no issue allowing B to cross to/fro LPM to beach-side OM/Casa Violeta by herself. The cabbies who travel up and down the road would even stop for her to cross.
BTW, The cabbies beep @ you if you're walking on the road--it their way of asking if you need a ride. This took me a day to realize they weren't honking at me to get OFF the road.

-Om: Very Zen. The pizza was good-not great but good. While the service is very courteous, but they don't seem to have beach service. Go in to order or you'll wait a looong time--just a very laid back and unobtrusive attitude OR this could have been low season ?? I think they have a 200/250 peso minimum for cards.

-Casa Violeta--adjacent to OM, about the same prices: $10-13 for pizza, $6-8 for ceviche, $2.50/3 for MX cerveza, $5ish for mixed/iced drinks but a little more attentive beach service.

-We very much enjoyed the service, fish tacos and setting @ Mateos.

-We found no reason to send any time in Tulum Pueblo, but to drop off a few young travels hitching a ride or go to the Chedraui.
-Per Tom's rec, if you go to Coba, be sure to check out the cenote that begins with a "T" it's a about a 10min drive from Coba (mind the potholes). Inside the cenote, there are 2 jumping platforms: 50 and 15 feet. We opted only for the 15 ft jump. ;-) Pack a lunch and your snorkeling equip if you have the time...We spent about an hour cooling off in the centote after visiting Coba and had the place to ourselves at times between bused tours.

-Punta Laguna Nature Reserve: about 15/20 mins from Coba--the opposite direction at the round-about off 109 . Guided (mandatory) hike though the jungle in search of spider and howler monkeys in their natural habitat--which we did see--with a stop at the lagoon and their cenote. 350 some odd pesos--about 35 US + a tip for the guide. We also purchased some jewelry made by the local Mayan women and children. It was hot, the hike was almost miserable but the fauna and giant butterfiles during migration were beautiful. Glad we went and felt good about spending the $ there--the community is very poor.

-I did find our room to be dark during the day, but this was of little concern as we had little reason to be IN the room during the day.

Lastly, a testament of how much we enjoyed our experience at LPM and Tulum: After leaving Tulum, we checked into a resort in PDC that was equipped with all the activities and comforts a child could desire--we even had a private pool--but by the second day, little B asked to return to Tulum for the day to see LPM, Mr. Tom, Hondo, Sky and Chloe dogs before we went back to TX. She made the comment that she didn't feel like we were at a hotel (at LPM) but a guest in someone's home and she wanted to say thank you and goodbye again. So we did, but sadly Mr. Tom was out taking care of business when we returned...

Thank you LPM for you hospitality and playing a special part of our mommy/daughter summer trip.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank mhouse

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Paris, France
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The rooms were decent and seemed recently renovated. The bed was confortable and the mosquito net was useful as well as the fan since it was very very hot when we came here. Everything was clean.The rest of the hotel is pretty simple, a few coconuts and hamacs, there is an access to the beach but the hotel is not directly on the beach. There is also a communal kitchen in the middle of the patio which adds up to the friendy atmosphere, you can store your groceries or cook your own meal, etc. It is useful if you want to have breakfast as it is not included. Be careful, there isno electriity during the day, it is real eco-tourism.
Apart from that we found the place a bit noisy as the walls were very thin (especially the floor above our heads) and the fan noisy too.
I would say this place is perfect for people who want to stay for a medium-long term inTulum with a limited budget! Otherwise, there might be options with a bit more charm, in my opinion
Cheryl and Tom seemed very nice even if we only stayed for a night

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barthuelt
Oxford, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Loved our stay at Las Palmas Maya....beds were very comfy and even though we were there in the heat of the summer, the fan kept us cool, the mosquito net protected us well, and we slept great. Tom, the manager is the perfect host! Not only is he extremely attentive and gracious, but he is the fountain of knowledge around there....from booking trips to tips on restaurants, what to see, what to do, he has it all! On top of that, he makes a mean Mexican coffee in the morning....best one around for sure!! You won't find a more gracious host anywhere! The communal kitchen is a lot of fun and gives it a family feel. Cheryl, the owner, is very responsive to any email inquiries and extremely helpful. All in all, a fantastic experience, one I would highly recommend. We even survived a category 1 hurricane!!

Room Tip: room with a breeze...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cfeyten
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The palmas maya was an awesome place it is nice and relaxing with everything you need.. Tom the manager is an awesome person he answers any questions for you and is very nice. The rooms are nice with a comfy bed. And they even have a kitchen. It was an awesome adventure and las palmas mayanhelped a lot if you are thinking about this hotel I would defiantly consider it..!!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room..
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Max C
London
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The manager Tom makes this place. Super friendly, he gives great recommendations and my fiancée and I looked forward to hanging out with him in the hammocks at the end of the day. It's a very social hostel vibe. The rooms are basic but they are accross the street from a beautiful beach. Would recommend particularly to young budget conscious travellers

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank lloydoblt
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 17 days traveling through the Yucatan and Chiapas, and this was a fabulous way to start it off. We initially didn't think we would have trouble finding a perfect place.. our main concerns were to have our own bathroom, close enough to the beach to walk, and reasonably priced. The only place that met all requirements was Las Palmas Mayas.

Not only were we welcomed (and awoken everyday) with a bright and smiling Tom, but we were treated as guests even before we arrived. Cheryl happily and promptly emailed me with any questions I had, either regarding our stay or even our travels around the rest of Mexico. The second day we were there, we were lucky enough to grab a ride into town with Cheryl, Frank, and Tom to grab lunch and a stop at the grocery store. It really felt like we were catching up with old friends - they all have a way of making you feel very comfortable. Tom is a wealth of information and never without a smile. He is happy to help make any arrangements or help you figure out travel plans (we tried to convince him he should lead tours :) )

We planned on staying for 4 nights and prolonged our stay for 6 because of the great location and teriffic conditions (there's an endless supply of things to do around/near Tulum). The room is perfect if you are looking for a very clean and comfortable place to SLEEP. The fan turns off around 8am, and I was awake shortly thereafter every morning, but with no compaints as the bed is comfortable and I slept like a log. Despite being legitimately in the middle of the jungle, this was the cleanest, bug free room we stayed in for our entire trip. My only recommendation for anyone staying there would be to bring along a flashlight as this proved very helpful for us. The generators go on around 630, but shortly before then our room was rather dim as we tried to keep the sun out, and thus our flashlight came in mighty handy. The kitchen was an absolute blessing, and we had alot of fun making food for ourselves and for friends we made while staying there (they're currently in the process of building a new screened in one which will be even better!) . Addtionally, the easy access to bikes was priceless and helped us get a head start on our days. Furthermore, renting towels was even better - as we were traveling for weeks and didn't want to lug around heavy towels.

I really cannot say enough about LPM. Everything from the hosts, the location, the atmosphere, and the amenities was ideal. If you go to Tulum and are interested in fun in the sun and meeting new and great people while also enjoying perfect rooming conditions, I definitely recommend LPM.

P.S. Tom's dogs put the icing on the cake :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily G
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at Las Palmas Maya in Feb. 2012. We'd been to Tulum a few times before so we know the area a little bit. First off, I'll just say that Tulum beach area is awesome! There's plenty of clear blue water, fairly empty beaches, nice beach bars and a completely chill vibe everywhere. Not to mention the ruins, cenotes and all that if you're into activites that take you away from the beach.

Las Palmas Maya fits right in with the same chill vibe. It's a small property tucked into a small swath of jungle. While its not on the ocean, it still has a very tropical feel with palm trees all over, a candle/tiki tourch lit courtyard, thatched roofs and sand between your toes. It's across the main road from the beach and all you have to do is cross the road to walk a short path through one of the other beach front resorts to the water (maybe a 2 minute walk, if even). It's still closer to the beach than most mega resorts in Rivera Maya will ever get you.

The rooms are clean, comfortable, have private bathrooms and even have a front porch to sit on. The rooms are nothing fancy, but to be honest in this price range in Tulum you don't get much for a room anywhere. You could book a comparably priced room at a beach front property, but I very much doubt too many of them are as well taken care of as LPM. Also, for the same price that other room will be at the back of the resort by the road, which basically puts you no closer than LPM is to the beach. Since the rooms don't have air conditioning, they can be a bit warm during the day if it's hot out. This goes for any room in the whole region though, if a room isn't on the water its probably going to be a little warm in the jungle.

The shared kitchen was a nice feature, it was great to have a place to keep drinks cold and snacks handy. We personally didn't do any cooking, because when we're in the area we like to try all the different spots to eat. The kitchen area ends up being the spot you'll meet all the other guests at too. Every evening there was someone sitting around the big patio dinning table chatting about their day or what they're going to do tomorrow. Not to mention, they have an honor system on cold beers which means you mark down how many you had and pay at the end of your stay. They were very reasonable at like $15 pesos or somthing (don't quote me on that). We used their bikes as well, which is a great way to cruise around Tulum. You can get anywhere you need to around the Tulum beach area on a bike. Make sure to bring a light though because after riding back home from multiple happy hours, then dinner, then cartwheels on the beach, the road can get very dark at night.

Finally the service, it's just as great as all the reviews say. Tom was an excellent host, the owners where very pleasent to deal with and they all seem to know the area very well. I would bet Tom saved us at least $50 on taxi's just by calling a driver he knew or by providing information on what he thought the fare should be. If you're looking to save some money on a room, but still experiance a tropical vacation, this is a great spot! All in all, Las Palmas Maya is a great budget spot close to the beach in the heart of the area.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms on the top floor are more private
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple