“Great price, location and service”
Review of Las Palmas Maya

Las Palmas Maya
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This review is way overdue, but here it is. I traveled to Tulum with my two teenage daughters last March for a week. There are so many options in Tulum, but I am really glad I chose Las Palmas Maya. I chose it for the location and price and was not disappointed. I was tempted to pay a little more and be on the beach, but it is literally across the small street, so I am glad I went with Las Palmas Maya.

We stayed in the Treetop Suite. It had plenty of room and was clean and comfortable. We had no issues with mosquitoes or geckos. It was on the street, but even being a light sleeper, I was not bothered by noise.

Tom greeted us as soon as we arrived and took our luggage up the steep staircase (I stayed at a different place I found on AirBnB and the owner watched as I struggled up the narrrow winding staircase two flights with my bags). He had great suggestions for dining and activities and was fun to socialize with in the morning and during his happy hours. Tom did tell us a place to go snorkeling and to see turtles, but somehow the directions didn't quite work, so make sure you get really specific directions.

There is a grocery store on the edge of Tulum, about seven minutes from Las Palmas ( at least that is about what I recollect) and we did get a few things to cook in the kitchen.

To get to the beach, you walk across the small road and through the Om Hotel grounds and you are right there. If you buy food or beverage at Om, you can use their lounge chairs and umbrellas.

The road along the beach in Tulum is dark at night and can get busy, so bring a flashlight if you plan to walk to any of the restaurants, etc along the road. You will be asked numerous times if you want a taxi as they drive by, but we walked mostly.

The beach there was clean and beautiful.

Room Tip: I liked the Treetop Suite because it was on the second floor. Being next to the street did not bothe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MinneapolisKyle
cheryl d, Owner at Las Palmas Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

It matters not to us how long ago you stayed with us, we just really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! You know, we are coming up on almost a year since you were here...we would love to have you all come back and see us!

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We were overwhelmed by where to stay with so many options but they were all so expensive. Las Paslmas Maya was the perfect place for us.
We initially thought with the location that we would be a little way out of the town but soon realised we were actually in the heart of where you want to be.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and the small touches like free drinking water, free sunscreen/insect repellant, morning coffee and Tom who sorted out our tour and our taxi back were all priceless. You would not get that kind if service in a hotel. Tom even gave my husband medication for an upset stomach!
You are only a couple of matures from the beach and I saw some if the accommodation on the beach-it wasn't very nice. Having your own kitchen meant we could make our own breaky bought from a corner store just down the road.
Don't wast your money on accom on the beach-I can confidently say you won't be disappointed with Las Palmas Maya!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophie_Ruzyla

Thank you so much! In turn, we think you all were "PERFECT" guests and hope that you are able to return to LPM. We strive to give service above and beyond what is expected, and in addition to our many amenities, offer this all at a truly affordable price.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was our first visit to Tulum & we couldn't have been happier with our choice of staying at LPM! Everything I needed to know about the place was carefully explained on the website & if I had any questions outside of that, Cheryl was more than willing to answer via email. We barely made it into the gate before Tom was out to meet us. He carefully explained everything about LPM & then left us alone to settle in. The rooms are decorated with the basics at LPM & are absolutely spotless. The communal kitchen is a great addition to the place & the hammock lounge is the perfect spot to relax and unwind! Tom is an excellent resource for Tulum and didn't steer us wrong the entire time we were there. We were thrilled with all of his recommendations for dining! Bicycles are available for rent at LPM and the beach is just a short walk across the street.

In hindsight, the only thing we would do differently is remember to pack bugspray & a flashlight! We would definitely return to LPM on a future visit to Tulum.

Room Tip: For future stays, we will request a room upstairs in hopes of getting a little bit more of a breeze...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for spending some of the holiday season with us! We appreciate your thoughts and will do our best to put some more sparkle on the diamond. =) As far as flashlights, they are again stocked in the rooms - it seems when you were there, we were in the process of replacing all of them with new ones. Bug spray is generally a good tip, too, and there is usually some in the communal area for guests to use. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We recently spent nine nights at Las Palmas Maya. Originally booked four, but immediately after our first night, decided to spend the rest of our holiday here, instead of trying to find somewhere else with all the amenities we were looking for.
Tom, the manager, met us at the gate the first night we got in, and immediately got us settled, showed us the ropes and assured our coffee craving souls that there would be a caffination station ready for us by 7:30 the next morning. For those travelers who find this a necessity to function in life, this is a big deal. I fear we blew LPM's coffee budget during our stay...
This place is a wonderful place to stay, for either short of longer term. Biggest selling point is the kitchen, where you have an option to make your own meals. If you want to save coin, this is the way to go. We did eat at several places on the beach strip, and while the food was tasty, it was super expensive. The Chederaui (??) grocery store is an easy 8 km bike ride (or taxi ride) away. There is also a small mini mart about a minute's walk away for the basics.
Tom was over the top attentive, super helpful and knowledgeable. Every question we threw at him, he had an answer. You would not get this kind of service in a super expensive 'five star'. I can honestly say, we have never received this level of hospitality in all the places we have traveled.
The hotel grounds are beautiful, and well maintained. (Thanks, Walter). Everything seemed to be in top notch working order, and if there was something that needed attention, it was addressed immediately. The rooms got tidied up daily by Daisy, which was great.
We stayed in the treetop suite the whole time, with the exception of one night. The suite is huge, with a nice private balcony. We found we could hear the traffic from the road a little more from here, but it was no big deal. And if you are a light sleeper, there are ear plugs provided. The other room we stayed in was also superb.
The beach is fantastic and as mentioned in previous posts, a very short stroll away.
The location of this hotel is good, being a little farther down along the beach road. So not as crazy busy.
Everything about staying here was fantastic, from the prompt response from the owners (Cheryl) via email inquiry, Tom, of course, location to beach access, the kitchen, (did i mention the coffee???), access to bike rentals, comfortable accommodations, and well kept beautiful grounds.
So, thanks again, Frank and Cheryl, Tom, Daisy and Walter. We had an awesome vacation and hope to come back again soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui L
cheryl d, Owner at Las Palmas Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

I am so glad you were able to put your coffee cup down long enough to give us such an excellent review...lol! Like you, I cannot imagine starting my day without it, so it is good to hear that it was appreciated. Thanks so much for the kind words and observations. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I can highly recommend this place! It is not on the beach but you don't have to walk more than 30 seconds to stand on it. The beach is public access so that is no problem at all! The place is simply beautiful - surrounded by palms and nature and the beach there is one of the most beautiful in the whole area. It is at the south end of the Tulum Hotel zone and it feels a little less touristy there - that's exactly what we wanted. We stayed there for 8 nights and used the kitchen every morning to make our own breakfast (Tom was so helpful with everything (!) and he also prepared coffee at no later than 7:30 every morning!). What is special about this place is that they tried to build the infrastructure more eco-friendly than most other places in Tulum (solar panels, efficient generator and so on - I was really impressed). We really felt like this is how it should be, if you care in any way about nature. Everything is tidy and clean. Overall we did not miss anything and had an awesome time at Las Palmas Maya!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your thoughts about your stay at LPM. We are so glad that your group enjoyed the facilities and used the kitchen. We agree, the beach at the southern end of the hotel zone is one of the most beautiful not only in Tulum, but in all of the world! We hope to have you as our guest again one day.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

There isnt a way for me to eloquently describe what Las Palmas Maya does for me. The atmosphere is perfect. Since I was last here they have added a communal kitchen as well as a hammock lounge above it. Two VERY nice additions. The kitchen gives a great opportunity to mingle with other guests and make new friends, share stories and experiences, and save tons of money manking your own fresh meals daily. I found this to be one of my favorite features quite honestly. The hammock lounge located just above the kitchen is perfect for lazy days with a book or just taking a nap. Its quiet and comfortable, I especially enjoyed it on rainy days. Tom, the manager of the property, spares no expense to make sure your stay is enjoyable, his in depth knowledge of the area lead me to some gems that i wouldn't have known about otherwise. He runs a tight ship and not once did i need to ask for anything on property. Tulum is a great place to stay and i dont see myself going anywhere else on my future visits. Everything I need is right there at LPM.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

We always love having repeat guests and are so glad that you chose to stay with us again. I am pleased that you approve of all of the upgrades since your last visit! The screened communal kitchen, hammock lounge, 24 hour electricity, etc are things that we believe set us apart and enhance our guests visit to Tulum. Thank you for your kind review and do come see us again!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Las palmas maya was truly an unexpected gem. When booking lodging in Tulum we really had no idea what to expect... We had traveled to this area in the past but always stayed in the bigger hotel zones and we are so glad we chose LPM. If there was one word that comes to mind over and over it is consistency... We stayed there two separate times during out 3 weeks in the region and day in day out it was the cleanest friendliest most perfect place we have been. Tom(the manager) is the most welcoming, helpful host and he really helps set this place apart. Having lived in tulum for the last 3 years Tom is incredibly knowledgable on the area and really goes out of his way to make that most out of your stay. Tom has an amazingly positive attitude and you can tell he truly loves the beach life, you could not find a better host.
Las Palmas Maya really feels like home away from home. The rooms are spacious and exceptionally clean. The showers were amazing... They run an extra water pump from 5-8 in the evening, this is the best shower pressure in tulum! The property it self is small and intimate.. Located on the jungle side of the beach road and no more than a 20 yard walk to the most amazing sand and blue water you have ever seen. I guess we had no idea what to expect staying in tulum and we could not have been more impressed. The attention to detail is very obvious from the coffee being set out every morning to the beautiful landscaping they have done with the native plants. One thing that set LPM apart was the communal kitchen. I have stayed in plenty of hostels that you wouldn't dare cook in their facilities. The kitchen is kept impeccably clean and there is plenty of space to make some of your meals here. The Chedraui(supermarket) is right down the road and has an amazing selection of produce.
There is plenty to do in tulum from the ruins to the cenotes to the biosphere and Tom has great relationships with a few select tour operators that really offer exceptional tours. Where you want to get out and get after some adventure or spend the days relaxing in paradise, I cannot recommend Las Palmas Maya high enough... This in truly a special unique place and there is no where else in tulum that we would want to stay.... We have only been home for a week and we cannot wait to return to tulum and Las Palmas Maya.

Room Tip: The treehouse suite is amazing and would offer plenty of room for a small family to stay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for giving us your feedback regarding your stay at LPM. The fact that you were with us for an extended period of time and were happy with your accommodations means so much. We hope that when your travels bring you back to the area, that we will see you again!