“Didn't make it - but a wonderful staff!”
Review of Las Palmas Maya

Las Palmas Maya
Ranked #13 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I felt the need to write this review because of the excellent service that Cheryl provided to me and my family as we were planning our trip to Tulum. We reserved a spot at Las Palmas Maya, excited about all these great reviews. However, our trip took an unexpected twist and we were very concerned about how to resolve our reservation. Cheryl was incredibly patient with our questions and treated us very kindly (though we were being difficult!). I can't say anything about the location itself, but I can say that we will certainly book another trip to this place - based on the service alone! Not often you find someone so caring in the service industry!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jen L
cheryl d, Owner at Las Palmas Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write. All of us at LPM make it a priority to offer the best service possible, and I was happy to help with your particular situation. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for just short of a week in February. The staff, especially Tom, were exceedingly welcoming and helpful. The shared kitchen is a nice feature both for the use of the kitchen but also for the pleasant communality. The room was interesting as a sort of elevated beach hut and was clean, with good bed and nicely appointed.
The hotel is not luxurious but does not pretend to be. I found it to be very pleasant even after coming from a luxurious lodge at Chichen Itza.
One concern I had and this is not the fault of the hotel, is that since all these lodgings are "off grid" they require generators when the sun is not out making a nearly ever present evening hum.
The beach itself though is quite wonderful and to me preferable to the normal big resort beach.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Vicentine

Thank you for your kind review! We do love that the kitchen offers up not just a place to gather and make new friends, but also prepare a few small meals or snacks to help save on the dining budget. Glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This hotel provides a great, affordable opportunity to spend time right next to a beautiful beach. The staff that runs the hotel is incredibly friendly and the rooms are clean. Why pay more at a different hotel just because they have a restaurant? If you are looking for a quick getaway this hotel will match your needs.

The hotel is located within walking distance of many other hotels and restaurants so it is easy to eat at a variety of different places and not get bored with the same place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gecko room and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sternacus

Glad that you enjoyed your time at LPM! We do think our location provides the best beach access with many great restaurants close by. Hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

This place is great ! You could spend a lot and get the same room somewhere else; and then spend a lot more on food. Food is excellent in Tulum, but pricey. Here at Las Palmas Maya you have a kitchen area and I recommend you use it. The staff here is some of the friendliest I have encountered and they are more than happy to help you with local information. Tom, Luz and the whole staff were great, trustworthy people. I am planning on returning. The beach is right across the street and you have direct access.

3  Thank Dave K
cheryl d, Owner at Las Palmas Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you, Dave, for taking the time to give us your feedback. We agree, the LPM staff is the best and the friendliest! Glad you were able to make use of the communal kitchen. It is a real budget saver and gives guests the opportunity to splurge a little on dining out in Tulum. Please come back to see us!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This place is gorgeous, affordable and filled with welcoming helpful staff. A special mention has to go to the hotels manager Tom who went over and beyond to make sure our trip to Tulum was exceptional. We visited centoes, private beaches, local food hot spots and all in the fantastic company of Tom himself. We can't recommend this place enough!

1  Thank alexis f

Yes, Tom is definitely the Manager Extraordinaire! He wears many hats, and is always has a smile as he offers up suggestions for things to do in the area. Need a restaurant recommendation? He has them. Tours and excursions? He'll arrange them. Taxi? He will call or flag one down. Just don't ask him to babysit....lol.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was in Tulum for 2 weeks, and spent one week here and one week at Playa Mambo. Though I would have thought I would prefer the cabana right on the beach at Mambo, Las Palmas Maya wins hands down. If (WHEN) I come back to Tulum, I will definitely be staying here.
Why?

1. Location
Even though it's not ON the beach, this hotel is literally a 30-second walk to, in my opinion, the very best section of Tulum beach. They have a deal worked out with Om Hotel across the street so you can walk through their property to access the beach, and this place was also great. Good food and beach chairs they let us use no questions asked or purchase needed.

2. Amenities
In a place where hot water and electricity is a bit of a rare commodity, Las Palamas Maya had both in spades. They recommend using the shower in the evenings (which was perfect for me after a day in the sand), and the hot water pressure was amazing. Can't be beat.
The common kitchen was also great to have. Prices in Tulum are pretty steep for Mexico, so you can definitely save some money making some of your own meals and pre-dinner cocktails yourself.
The Hammock lounge above the kitchen was also a huge bonus. Great place to play some games or read a book on a rainy day. If you're like me and have to take work with you when you travel (boo), this was also a great place to set up shop.
The internet was not the most reliable ever, but that was to be expected and the hotel did all they could to get it fixed promptly whenever it broke down. I think connection is better here than almost anywhere else along the beach.

3. Service
I cannot say enough about the manager Tom. He is incredibly sweet and helpful. I think there is virtually nothing he won't do to make sure you have the most fun and comfortable time possible here. He always had great tips for food and activities - he may even give you a ride if you need one. Keep smiling, Tom - you're the best.
The hotel also provides you with a water bottle and really good beach towels, so you don't have to bring your own (god thing, since I left mine in a cab before I got here).

* The only negative I might throw out there is that the standard rooms could use a slight improvement as far as furnishings and lighting go. No real closet to speak of, though there is lots of room to spread out. We did also see some 'cuckarachas' in the room, but let's face it - you are in Mexico. This is no way the fault of the hotel.

For the last couple nights I stayed in the Treetop Suite and I must admit that I much preferred it. Definitely think it is worth the extra few dollars.

Thanks again, Las Palmas Maya. I'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

We appreciate your kind and thoughtful review! The three things you mentioned: location, amenities, and service are what we feel sets us apart from others, along with our great value. The prettiest section of the Tulum beach being a mere 30 second walk away is priceless. Hope to have you as a return guest one day soon!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Las Palmas may not be on the beach side of boca Paila road, but in compensation for having to walk 30 seconds to get the ocean, you'll get a cleaner, more affordable, less pretentious place with hot water, twenty four electricity and tiled floors. The communal kitchen is a great idea. Up until Tulum, We had been eating out every meal out, which had become expensive and exhausting. It was nice to have a space to cook some simple meals. Las Palmas also has nice bikes for rent which is a great way to get to the Tulum. The staff was also very cordial and they brewed good coffee. Only thing Las Palmas needs is a hot tub.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff K

Jeff, thanks so much for your review and for highlighting some of our special amenities. Wouldn't it be nice to have a hot tub? Should the municipality of Tulum ever bring power lines to us, that will be first on the list! ;) Meanwhile, we will keep the lights on and the water hot with our superior generator/batteries/solar panel set up! =)