“Beautiful beach cabanas” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful beach cabanas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lovely beach location for fairly basic (no A/C) but clean etc facilities. We had a room over the road (30secs walk to beach) with private balcony and hammocks to chill out on. Beach is very cute and restaurant is a great setting for dinner.

One thing to note: There is NO pool which was a disappointment as there are photos on their website which is slightly misleading. Didn't take away from a lovely experience though.

Room Tip: Staying over the road means you dont get the beach front experience BUT more privacy...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jsfroude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I meant to write this review a while back as my husband, kids (and 4 and 6) and I returned from Zamas a month ago. I meant to spread the love sooner!

I cannot fault this wonderful place. We had the most incredible two weeks here and finally understood the meaning of relaxing. I do not have a bad word to say about Zamas

It has been interesting reading other reviews of Zamas. You need to know this - Zamas is not a polished, five star pristine resort with air con and mod cons. This is a place to kick back, chill out and release your inner hippy. It's boho luxe on the beach at it's best. The physical location of the hotel is just amazing - your own private beach/cove at the end of the miles and miles of beach. The resort is so pretty and charming - we had a family room in the coconut grove with views of the sea. My two children ran around safely and happily and spent every day building sandcastles. The road outside the resort is not that busy and even though our property was beachside, I definitely wouldn't have a problem staying on the other side of the road.

We visited the long stretch of beach a couple of times and of course it is absolutely awesome but we felt much safer at Zamas in the gorgeous little cove with our two kids. It's very easy to loose little ones on the long stretch of beach but here, you can always keep your eye on them and you know they are safe. It meant that my husband and I could actually kick back, read books and drink pina coladas all day long! What more could you ask for?!

The staff are out of this world - from the owners who truly care how their guests are getting along and are sure to get to know everyone to the adorable locals who run the run the resort and restaurant. They work so hard and they are so lovely with children.

The restaurant is delicious - it's a proper destination place to eat for people from other resorts - the food is locally caught and prepared and it's lovely. The service is consistently high and the cocktails are AMAZING! The location of the restaurant is so dreamy as the sun sets - and it's always packed out every night and even lunchtime which shows you how popular and good it is.

Salvador and Max who run the front desk couldn't have done more to take care of us and gave our kids buckets and spades to play with every day.

We will 100% return to Zamas and we can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Beachside is clearly best but honestly, there is not a great deal in it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ros W
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed there solo in May , a room with partial ocean views with the main road behind

The room was very clean and with the mosquito netting around the bed I slept great . There is some road and people noise behind but I didn't find it too much of a bother I stayed a Thursday night ..

It's an Eco resort so no TV but Wifi works at the restaurant area if you need to stay connected ..

I'd go back again !

Tip when going to the ruins get there early say 830am otherwise the crowds take away from the experience .

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jt2323
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I couldn't ask for more from this place, lovely staff, faultless service, clean and spacious rooms (not the usual beach huts), tasty food and beach location. The rooms were so beautiful and every night the cleaners turned down the sheets and the mossie nets- nice touch! The owner was also around a lot which was good to see. I really think the staffing were the selling point- they were all so friendly, serving delicious food (ceviche to die for) and helping with any request. Lots of yoga places nearby to visit (well for yoga nerds like me) plus a few nice shops, bike hire places etc, in a busier area of the road.

The only thing I would note is I think this place is more suitable for groups or couples rather than families, as the beach is pretty rocky so you need to walk further along stretch to swim or to another beach. We visited Playa Paradiso which was a lovely stretch of beach to swim/snorkel etc.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JoL297937
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Zamas is AMAZING! We had a small (extremely tiny) 'hut' right on the beach ... king bed, toilet, shower, and a sink ... clean, cute, comfortable. No dresser for storage, no A/C, no hairdryer, no tv. For us, this was perfect ... we had beautiful sunrises in the morning, the ocean 10 steps from our room, the breeze and beach sounds being carried through our hut, and no digital distractions!! It was truly the perfect way to disconnect from the world. The only thing I would say about our 'hut' is that early morning you started to hear the street traffic since the windows were open, but we got used to it and were up fairly early anyways. Zamas has a wonderful restaurant ... we ate there several times and everything was delicious. The location is close to many other awesome restaurants, bike/scooter rentals, the Tulum ruins, and shops. The service was very good ... friendly and accommodating! I would definitely go back to Zamas in a heart beat!

Room Tip: We stayed in hut 5 ... last one along the beach. Nice, but noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelingQueen1983
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at Zamas for 5 nights in April and it was absolutely fantastic. Postcard-perfect views, incredible beach, sweet and cozy rooms and excellent staff. A great place if you have kids (except if you stay across the road, it could feel dangerous with toddlers). Our kids are old enough to cross the street by themselves, but still it's a bit scary at night walking so close to moving cars. We loved the laid-back vibe of the place. But if you need attention and guidance, Rodrigo and Max are always available and happy to help. We loved Zamas! Will return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: If you have little kids or go to sleep early, I'd suggest not getting one of the rooms near the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Liz D
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Oh Zamas,

How I miss you!
How I miss your wonderful accommodations: simple, comfortable, elegant.
How I miss your waves lapping at my door: white sand, rock formations, birds galore (Pelicans!),
How I miss your beautiful waters and all that they behold.
How I miss your delicious, perfect food, served with such panache.
How I miss your wonderful staff, all.
How I miss your fantastic nightlife, music, dancing, toes in sand (no heels allowed)...

How I miss how simply wonderful you made me feel for 6 days and nights.

Thank you!