“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Esperanza

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Playa Esperanza
Ranked #13 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Colima, Mexico
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Walked up to it by chance, took a tour, checked in, sunned, swam, watched the kite lessons (I thought it was relaxing and interesting to watch, and they were not loud), took a nap, drove up to town for icecream, was back before the gate locks (11:00pm), followed the tiki torches to the shower, rinsed off (eco plumbing so short and sweet is best), mosquito net worked great, was warm but opened window provided breeze, early rain made us use our sheet for warmth, no leaking in our Pirate room, swinging bed was surprisingly stable, would have stayed another night if the rain hadn't come. Tulum is my favorite beach, lots of shade, hammocks, and atmosphere at this place. Everyone was friendly, but we had privacy.

Room Tip: ECO means a lot of things. Bring beach towels, bug spray, and a flashlight app.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MelBSLMiss

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
pilarrgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I found Playa Esperanza by accident and felt like I hit the jack pot. It was not on the list of hotels provided by my friend getting married in Tulum, but lucked out to have found this place versus staying at one of the more crowded places in "town".
It's beautifully done with many great little artistic details scattered around the property. The staff was friendly and took great care of me. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, and perfect for my stay in Tulum. The other guests were all quiet and respectful making for a relxing environment. And to top it all off... I had one of the best meals of my life Pulpo al Patron (the freshest octopus I've ever had the privilege of having) on my last night at the quaint little hotel restaurant - Nuestra Cocina - in the sand.
It is a little bit out of town, but nothing a good bike ride or an inexpensive taxi ride can't change. I actually enjoyed being out of the center of it all... able to go visit... and then retreat to my little haven at Playa Esperanza.
Also, I was a single, woman traveler and felt completely safe.
All in all, I would say it was a perfect vacation at Playa Esperanza. Next time in Tulum, there is no question that this is where I would stay.

Room Tip: Elo Junior was small but perfect for one to two travelers... can't beat the location... just abo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pilarrgh
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

We just spent three of the best days with friends at this fabulous location!
The staff Jenny, Julia, and Tom couldn't do enough for us including lighting tiki torches around the entire property as the sun went down!

We had the Elo Suites which were joined and literally 20 steps to the turquoise waters of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! The rooms were very clean and comfortable with showers!
We had rented the kitchen so we could bbq our own meals and eat at the outdoor dining table on the kitchen terrace! The stone bbq area was perfect for sitting around as it is wood fired and all of our meals were amazing! The restaurant on the property is the perfect romantic setting, but we only had breakfast there one day which was a little pricey but good! Vanessa the lady that runs the restaurant is extremely pleasant and does a beautiful job! The dinner menu looked reasonable but again half of our fun was cooking the dinners and having drinks by the fire!
I'm a little hesitant at sharing this place as it truly is one of the world's best kept secrets!!
Because I live 35 minutes away I'm already booking for a few nights this month!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Happy154943
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Ignore the negative reviews! This place is perfect - very simple, rustic cabanas on the beach. If you are looking for a luxury 5* resort with a penthouse suite then this is not the place. The beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and totally peaceful and quiet. There are a few kite surfers now and then but they cause no problem or disturbance, it is cool to watch. The owners and everyone who works there is so friendly and helpful. The restaurant is amazing too with great food and drinks. We loved this place, I hope you do too.

Room Tip: We stayed in Elo Suite for one night which was amazing. The in El Pirata which was great but has a s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Saffron12345
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

We arrived at Playa Esperanza in the afternoon. We were warmly greeted by the owner with complimentary cocktails and appetizers in their new restaurant, which is adorable and yummy by the way! Our room was amazing and we could not believe how beautiful this place was!!!! We could seriously see the ocean from our pillows. No matter where you are at this resort, you are ALWAYS on the beach, walking in powder soft sand and can hear the waves :D There are no rocks and the water is crystal clear. You couldn't find a better beach. There is a kite boarding place on the property, which was SO much fun to watch while we laid in the sun. Like a free show :D This is a rustic type of place, kind of like camping but SO much better, because you have a real bed, beautiful room with a key and maid service every day, yummy food and drinks and it’s the most amazing ambiance you could imagine. The owner is SO talented, it’s art no matter where you look.

We had our own bathroom, but the one they have to share is VERY nice and clean. There is no hot water, but that wasn’t a big deal to us, just get in, get clean and get out. The water temp was about the same as a swimming pool. Just bring some flip flops for when you go to use it, cuz the floor can be wet sometimes from people taking showers, but they clean it often and it’s really cute.

There is a one room spa on site that is so beautiful and it's right on the beach so that you can listen to the waves during. It was one of the best massages I have ever gotten. I got the hour long Swedish massage.

Our favorite place to eat was Mateo's which was right up the road. Because Playa Esperanza is kind of like camping, you are able to fill your own cooler with drinks and food and not spend a cent anywhere else if you like, but we liked leaving and finding a little more action in the evenings and Mateo’s was our fave for sure! We brought our own thermo beach cups to keep our drinks cold and were making our own drinks. Mateo's let us bring our cups in and didn't even blink. Then we would just go back to our trunk and fill up when needed. We did spend plenty on food and some more specialty drinks and shots though :)

We didn't see one mosquito the entire trip, but I still like that we had the netting around our bed. I slept better knowing that no bugs could get me :) Plus the sound of the waves helped a bit ;)

We were really sad to leave this place and can't wait to go back. I will be getting another hour long massage, eating at Mateo's and spending time tanning on this amazing beach! Only regret I have is that I couldn't stay longer. Thank you for such an amazing experience and for creating one of the most romantic places I have ever been. We will see you soon!

Matt & Lisa

Room Tip: The only tip I can think of is that the electricity runs from sundown to midnight, so be sure to cha...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Leeeeesa
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

We had booked the room Celia Cruez for one week, since the price were low we were aware of that it would be simple. When we first came we thought the hotel had very nice interior and the room looked okey at first, but we had not expected to have a kitecompany with a lot of people hanging around just outside of our door, but that was not the biggest problem, when we wanted to take a shower there were no water at all, but it got back after a while. The shower were not clean, it were a lot of hair from previous guest...then we went out for dinner and when we got back, we found 5 coacroches in the room and the shower were leaking alot, so the toiletseat and the bathroom floor were soaking wet, we put a plastic bag over to stop it. The second night we had the same problems but even more coachroches, found one on my bag. After that we decided that we did not want to spend our vacation in a room like this. A plus for the hotel is that there were no problem getting our monkey back and they were understanding. The hotel definitly has potential but dont stay in this room if you go there.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Andersson2013
Brooklyn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Was sold on the website photos and promises of a tranquil, reasonably priced, beach-side vacation spot. We're not fussy travelers, but wanted a comfortable quiet place to have a few days to unwind after a busy year. Limited electricity? OK, fine. Mosquitos? Sure. No hot water? Eh... not exactly what the website promised, but after a couple days, we got used to it.

We stayed in the Celia Cruz room, and truthfully, Playa Esperanza and this room were the sole dark spots on our vacation. There is a Kitesurfing business located two steps from our "private, tranquil" room's front door that had a constant parade of people in and out of our little zone off the beach. Beach chairs were provided to other patrons at PE, but not to people staying in Cruz. Mosquito nets were shoddy, bathroom was moldy, the whole place was dank. But worst of all there was a raging techno dance party on the beach for 3 of our 6 days that blasted music until 4AM which prevented any reasonable person from sleeping. We spent a significant part of our vacation trying to escape PE. The well-meaning but ineffectual staff offered zero help.

Room Tip: Do not rent the Celia Cruz room unless you like sharing your privacy with a bunch of strangers.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple