“Lovely little getaway!”

Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Melbourne
“Lovely little getaway!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on our recent travels, the place & setting was a welcome sight! We had to change rooms after the first night per our booking, and the staff were already organised with making the new room up so there was no delay in our day. Mozzies were annoying but they were great with mozzie spray for all to use! The restaurant was mixed (first night fantastic, next night pretty average, breakfast were solid) but overall was more than adequate especially having seen some of the surrounding establishments. Would happily return again!

Room Tip: Choose rooms at the front/closest to the beach Avoid rooms that border onto the main road at the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed 6 nights with my fiancé and 10 year old son, got a good low season discount with Andrea the owner, who made sure we had everything we needed during our stay. Breakfast was included, tasty and generous. The staff at the restaurant were friendly and polite. The place has its own secluded beach limited with rocks at each end so it gives more a feel of relaxation and privacy. There is a spacious parking right opposite the hotel. The rooms are spaced in a horse shoe around the beach. Our room although did not have direct sea view was lovely, very clean and freshly decorated, they have air conditioner (on for only certain hours) and double glazing to block out any possible loud live music coming from neighbour restaurants. The rooms are serviced every morning, the cleaner performs the most intricate towel arrangements in shapes of different animals and dolls which delighted my son. Animals seem to love the place too with iguanas roaming the place freely and most precious of all we were so lucky to witness a turtle nest hatching 80 little sea turtles under the full moon light racing their way to the water, absolutely unforgettable memories. We will definitely recommend to our friends and also return to enjoy this lovely hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank WellTravelledGV
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Very cosy, small hotel on Tulum beach. Good bungalows, nice view, good cuisine, tasty breakfast)). Very clean, very friendly. The only thing is seaweeds...there a lot of them near beach shore and its quite difficult to swim, but nearby beach-clubs rules))) we recommend Papaya Playa. Minimarket in 20 meters and several restaurants for those who want to try smthng new every day. We like our stay a lot and recommend this hotel for quiet and peacefull holidays.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vadim V
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have been to Tulum several times and this is by far our favorite hotel so far. We spent 2 nights here in August (not nearly long enough). From the time you walk in you feel like you have stepped into a fairy tale. The lovely crescent shaped beach with the whitest sand is so private and has plenty of posadas and hammocks for relaxing and enjoying the Mexican sun and beautiful Caribbean waters. The staff is absolutely wonderful and the service, from drinks on the beach to a lovely sunset dinner is impeccable. We stayed in room 2A, facing the water on the second floor. I would definitely recommend this room if it's available. The rooms are comfortable and rustic - just what you would expect from a laid back place like this. We had 2 balconies, one off the entrance with a hammock and another facing the water. The A/C comes on at around 7pm and turns off at 8am, but there is always a strong breeze off the water, so the room is comfortable even during the day. Two things that might bother some people - there are a lot of rocks just off the beach, so you might want water boots, and the wind gets really strong at times, sand in your face strong.

The food is excellent! Great breakfasts and delicious dinners! And again, the friendliest and most attentive service you can imagine. Definitely worth a return trip.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but recommend 2A.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I was fortunate enough to spend 9 days in Tulum at Piedra Escodida (PE) from the 6th of September until the 14th of this year. Their special for two free nights is what got my attention, but as I began to read other reviews, I was glad I chose this property... and even more so when I got there. I prefer smaller intimate properties with a breakfast included in the price, and PE did not disappointment me. I had a lovely upstairs room in true palapa style. It was so refreshing to sit outside on the patio and enjoy a cool drink or cigar, and my view of the sea was quite relaxing. The staff was efficient, friendly, helpful, non-intrusive, and always there when I needed them. My cleaning lady, Selene, became a valued friend while I was there. I was known by my first name and wanted for nothing. My day always started with the included breakfast which left me full until way into the afternoon. The breakfast was not one-choice-fits-all, but rather a choice from four selections with the option of ordering off the full menu. The beach there was small and secluded, and it was immaculately cleaned every morning by the grounds staff. There were some underwater rock formations that were tricky, but they could be easily maneuvered through out into deeper water. The highlights of my time at PE were helping to deliver wayward baby tortugas to the sea, assisting a mother turtle to have an unhindered opportunity to lay her eggs, and capturing a two foot long python and return it to the jungle. The only drawback to my time at PE was a little thing called Tropical Storm Ingrid... into every life a little rain must fall, right? I would most certainly recommend PE to anyone. Fancier properties are available, but Piedra Escondida was just what this doctor ordered. I look forward to my next trip.

Ken Williams, MD
Savannah, GA

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank DrKen1963
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel information mentions that al the rooms have an ocean view and this is not true. The view of some of them is to the road where you have only palms and music from nearby thru 11pm. If you want to enjoy the ocean view, you must be outside of your room. Far away for what they publish in their web site.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Silvia R
Aministracion, Manager at Piedra Escondida, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear guest,
At first we wanted to give a very detailed answer to your arguments but after having carefully checked our website we verified that there is not even a formal appearance that could mislead you. We understand that there are two sides to every story, but in this case the story is only one and it is not yours and it is not ours, our website says (Overview) : “This family friendly hotel in Tulum has 8 rooms with private balcony where you can enjoy an amazing view of the Caribbean……” and we used this expression because being the balcony private it is more than just a view from behind the window. That confirms, probably due to the fact that English does not seem to be your mother tongue that you probably misunderstood when you said: “Far away for what they publish in their web site.” We are not liars as you suggest! The photos and our clients can prove this.
For this reason we ask you to rectify your statement so that Tripadvisor will not take your valuation into account, because, not being in the wrong, this causes us damage to our “Tripadvisor popular Index” with relative economical losses.
Thanking you in advance
The management
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 August 2013

After seeing some of the pictures posted on here, I'm already missing Piedra Escondida! What an amazing place to stay. I stayed in their "best room" the Superior Room A, with 2 balconies, one that faced the ocean and one that faced the restaurant. It was a really beautiful room with screened windows, a fan and air conditioning too! This really helped when traveling there in the month of August. You have your own private beach (and mind you, I was allowed to sunbath topless!), breakfast is included and their restaurant had a great Italian flair. The staff, Grace and Gabriel, along with all the servers were extremely helpful and accommodating to my needs, including my specific diet requests being that I'm vegan. If I wanted to, I really didn't have to leave the grounds because I had everything I needed right there. The location is perfect as I preferred to be more at the beginning of the "strip" so to speak as opposed to further down where it is a little bit more isolated. There were little shops across the street that had everything I needed, including 2 crocheted bikinis that I have been looking for since my last trip to Playa Del Carmen 5 years ago. A bike rental place is right next door and I was able to get around AND get my workout in by cycling up and down the main road as well as heading into town.

There is a little bonus to staying at Piedrda Escondida too, observing the giant sea turtles come right up on the beach and lay their eggs in the sand. What a wonderful sight to see! I was not expecting such a thing. The staff are so protective of them that after the eggs have been laid, they build a barrier around the spot so that no one will disturb them, then if you're lucky you might actually see the hatch-lings come out of the sand and find their home in the water from previous nests. It was a very wonderful experience.

I cannot recommend this place enough. I don't think I would stay anywhere else in Tulum. It has magical memories for me and was the best part of my 3 part vacation.

Room Tip: FYI, rooms with patio/doors facing the ocean where the wind comes blowing in should be aware that du...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo