“Can't wait to go back”
Review of Piedra Escondida

Piedra Escondida
Ranked #22 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 2 July 2014

this is a very charming intimate hotel, the rooms were lovely and very private.
the staff were very gracious and thoughtful,,,friendly...
we got a lot of help from the manager Andreas, for all our questions and different excursions
we could take... the breakfast included was terrific, and the endless cups of great coffee.
we went in early June when the weather was very hot and somewhat cloudy, but there
were no crowds. It's a terrific location, very close to the town, and lest we forget the aroma
from the itallian food they prepared at dinner was intoxicating... we can't wait to go back!
we were a couple and we saw the families having a great time ...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have stayed here three different times now and love it. Beautiful setting and management is great. There are only 8 rooms and every room has breathtaking views of ocean (especially the upper rooms, which also have great patios). I can only describe this place as heaven on earth. I have recommended it to others and have brought friends there as well. Everyone agrees, this place is amazing. It's location is great, situated in a little hub of small hotels and great restaurants. We have witnessed baby sea turtles hatching there at night. Bike rentals next door and it's an easy ride up to the public beach, which is the best beach I've ever seen in person.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holly D
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in May 2014 in room 4. Piedra Escondida is in a beautiful location, situated on what is effectively it's own private beach and well located to several local amenities and good restaurants. It is very nice, but nothing particularly shone for us for the money; but maybe that's because Tulum is a fairly expensive area to stay in for Mexico.

I have stayed in cabana style accommodation several times and it was to a fairly high standard, but if you're coming from a cold climate then the aircon turns off (we were aware of this) really just when we wanted it most (3am) to aid sleeping and I'm not really sure why. There were some gaps in the thatching which allowed you to watch the lightning at night. Also, I wasn't completely aware when I booked of how rough the sea is in Tulum, thinking it'd be really romantic like the lapping of water at a Mediterranean beach or even of the Mexican Gulf (such as further north) I hadn't realised it's actually quite loud and can keep you awake - no complaint, just keep this in consideration if you add on some jet-lag it makes for some restless nights.

Although the beach is stunning and the view to the sea is picturesque, access to the water isn't easy as it is quite rocky. Also, it's hit and miss if it's a seaweed day or not depending on tides, weather etc.

The breakfast was basic and a bit hit or miss; one day very lack lustre the next pretty good - the coffee mainly lack lustre but better on some days.

It is in a good location, easy enough to jump into a Taxi and get to town, several good restaurants around, mini-market and some other shopping stalls. We also walked to the ruins - which is do-able, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend the walk as it's fairly un-interesting and very hot - although you can get to the beach at one point and finish the walk there.

I have no complaints, Piedra Escondida suited our needs at Tulum and it is really idyllic to be stepping out of your cabana onto beach to go for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chunkylover53__x
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at this property for our last 3 nights in Tulum. I truly enjoyed the atmosphere at this location. It's right in the heart of Tulum, but it's a very small place. The beach is a tiny little cove compared to an all inclusive resort we stayed at our first 4 nights. I LOVE this beach. It's so beautiful, it was ridiculous.

The restaurant is fantastic, breakfast is included with the room rate. You have about 4 free choices, with other options you can pay for. Outside seating right on the beach. The service is great. One of the staff, Carlos, in particular was very kind to us during our stay. He spoke English very well, and we were able to communicate with ease. Carlos gave us great recommendations while we were in Tulum.

The rest of the staff were great too. Everyone was very friendly, and helpful. We had a great time at this property.

The only bad experience happened to be on my birthday. We asked one of the Italian guys in the front reception for advice on where to go swim with the sea turtles. I was so excited to show my boyfriend the turtles. It's the only thing I really wanted to do on my actual birthday. The guy I spoke with wasn't the owner, or the manager. It was a taller guy with glasses.. He told me to go to this specific lagoon to see the turtles, on the north side of Akumal. We we ended up driving right past all the best places, only to arrive at horrible lagoon where we didn't see any sea life, let alone turtles. As soon as we pulled up we found out we were in the wrong place. It turned into a horrible day. I was so disappointed, and kind of still am. As a Concierge I know better than to give out the wrong information. There was no misunderstanding here, he was VERY specific about going to that particular lagoon. Fail. At least the rest of our stay was good.

I would stay at this property again because it's just so beautiful! I loved everything about the room. It was $200 per night so... There's no TV's in the room, which I like. There's a couch. The shower and bathroom did smell a bit strange, like really salty. But it wasn't that big of a deal. There's a porch in front with a hammock, and two chairs. Our room was upstairs. I only saw like two bugs, but heard lots of birds! It was so cool waking up to the birds chirping, and perching on our roof. Coconut trees everywhere. We had one window facing the road, but the noise was not a big deal to me either. The whole experience was great.

I have to say the food in the restaurant was really good. The service was great. All of the gentlemen that work there were very friendly with us. Especially Carlos, who, as I said before, made some excellent recommendations for us.

I can't wait to visit Tulum again!

PS Random tips for travelling to Mexico in general:

Exchange your money for pesos before you get there
Taxis are very expensive, don't be afraid to rent a car
Bring your own maps, it's hard to get a proper one

Room Tip: One of the rooms has two balconies. Some rooms face the street. I didn't have a problem with our...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MichelleKapiolani
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This small resort has a very cute location, tucked into a small, private cove on the Tulum coast. 9 rooms total, you definitely have the small beach to yourself - complete with comfy lounge chairs, shade, and drinks/food from the restaurant. It's lovely to wake up and watch the ocean, either from you private hammock or the deck of the restaurant.

After visiting other hotels, the rooms here are a comparable bungalow-style accommodation. Enough space, sitting area, adequate bathroom -- but nothing "special" compared to the higher end or more unique bungalow option. The bed is fine, perhaps a little stiff for my taste.

One of the differentiators is AC, which most places don't have. However, just know that it pretty weak in terms of cooling power and only comes on 8pm-3am. It isn't really needed until the summer months (May+) due to the ocean breeze. We found a strong fan works just as well or better (the fan here was pretty weak too).

The biggest complaint was the noise at night. The property is located between a live music venue and a disco. The music can be well heard in your room, typically until midnight. However, we happened to be there on a holiday weekend, so we're treated to the all-night rave party lasting until 9am. May be a good choice for music lovers (some nights was more mellow jazz), but if you like to go to bed early - this probably isn't for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank citymusiclover
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Oh my! I just can't say enough good things about Piedra Escondida. When we checked in, we were actually early and fully expecting to spend some time getting to know the area. The very friendly attendant just showed us to our room, not even noting that we were at least a couple of hours before check-in time. I will never forget rounding the corner, and seeing the view for the first time. I was in awe. For weeks beforehand, I'd read reviews and looked at pictures, and they were nowhere close to capturing what I saw (and felt) in that moment.

Our entire stay was nothing short of amazing! We stayed in room 4a superior as recommended in many of the reviews. The bottom line is, there's not a bad room in the place, but this particular room was in my opinion by far the best. We absolutely loved our deck that faced the ocean and being able to see the sunrise from bed. We also enjoyed sitting out in the evening and stargazing. All night, you could hear the crash of waves--and it was the backdrop for the most peaceful sleep.

The restaurant was wonderful too! We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning and found it to be delicious and filling (great coffee too as well as fresh squeezed orange juice!) We also had lunch one day and 2 evening meals at the restaurant. It was wonderful to have fresh seafood choices, along with traditional Mexican fare, as well as Italian cuisine. I had beef carpaccio for the first time and it was delicious! The ceviche was also excellent---as was everything we tried! The drinks were also great, and every day during happy hour, there were two for one specials. We enjoyed the restaurant as well as the wait staff so much, we joked that we felt like we were "cheating" on the few meals we had elsewhere.

From the housekeeping staff (and the adorable towel animals that we looked forward to seeing every day after returning from our adventuring), to the restaurant, to the private beach, to the rooms (loved the thatch roof and the decor!), to just the whole vibe of the place, it was the perfect destination.

My boyfriend is a world traveler, and generally prefers to go somewhere new rather than returning to a destination. We were both so impressed, I'm thinking I might just convince him otherwise. :)

Thank you so much to the staff at Piedra Escondida for making our first trip together so memorable. Everything about the place far exceeded my fondest expectation! Gracias!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were excellent, but room 4a superior was AMAZING! My second choice would probably...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank senoj69
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stood 4 nights at this wonderful hotel. Wow it was beautiful! We were in room #4 which overlooked the beach. It was very romantic and relaxing. The room was awesome but let me let you in on some inside info:

1. The beach in front is not ideal for swimming. It is definitely great for lounging. There was a lot of seaweed in the water and gigantic rocks underneath the water that made it an ordeal to walk in. It was a bit wavy too when we were there. Swimming is doable but for calmer, clearer waters head 5 km north to playa maya.

2. Wow those thatched roofs are loud! It was windy when we were there and it seemed liked the roof intensified the ocean and wind noise. We loved the sound of the ocean but man it got loud at night from room 4. If it is windy, or the ocean is rough beware!

These are not complaints by any means. Just observations. We had an unforgettable time as I'm sure you will too!

• Stayed: April 2014